Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For anyone who has gone through the AWS certification process, about how much studying did it take you? I see that it basically goes Foundational, Associate, Professional, with subcategories along the way. Would it be unrealistic to try to get an Associate cert in a month? Did you do the live trainings or were the self-paced materials enough? The recommended experience is 6 months for Foundational, 1 year for Associate, 2 years for Professional. Did you find that to be accurate or is it something you can pick up with only a surface level of AWS experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's awesome info, thank you. I may be in between jobs for a bit while doing some consulting on the side and may take the opportunity to pick up a cert or two. I always end up too busy with work and it'd be nice to do some learning for a bit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bhodi posted:

From personal note, dealing with 2fa on 50 accounts is nightmarish.

I highly suggest if you do have to go this route, you screenshot and print the QC codes and stick them all in a safe.

Or use something like Authenticator+ that can back them up and restore them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cancelbot posted:

I loving got it! :woop: I'll be a Senior TAM in 2 months (notice period boo).

That's really awesome. Congrats!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What if you have a Solutions Architect and not a TAM?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Then reach out to them. Solutions architects exist to help architect solutions. See?

A TAM gets assigned to a customer only when the customer signs up for enterprise support (a minimum of $15,000 per year), but technically there is an SA and an Account Manager assigned to every account. That said, territory account managers can have hundreds of customers so access to the SA associated with your account might be limited. YMMV.

That's basically what I was getting at, the difference between a TAM and an SA for the customer. You got me the info I needed. Thank you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's a bunch of off the shelf software companies that won't work with / support anything other than a database on a VM.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

yes.

(software assurance)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I assume they've already looked at SaaS products that exist in this space, like Clio? I can't imagine a small place rolling their own.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

By all means, do what you want, get paid, play with fun stuff, add resume bullet points, but I'll just say this -

Every law firm thinks they are special unique snowflakes who do things weird and who absolutely cannot change their workflow one iota to adopt new case management, document management, or any main line of business app. They're all wrong and after trying to do it the wrong way, kicking and screaming, they eventually give in because they realize they have to run a business and the world doesn't revolve around them. I did IT for law firms for close to 20 years.

If you don't have some level of experience dealing with law firms, trying to help one roll their own case management web app, while not knowing that JavaScript can be used with static sites... it's not going to be an easy, pain free task. If they were paying me to do the job, they'd end up using Clio.

But again, do what's right for you. Just go in with eyes open.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Brown bag implies you are bringing your own lunch. Lunch and learn implies lunch will be provided, at least to me. I mean, lunch should always be provided for lunch meetings, but yeah. I guess maybe that's changing with remote work being the norm in our industry?

I think just lunch and learn, we'll provide lunch, or lunch and learn, bring your own works. I'm not sure I 100% agree that brown bag lunch is a term that needs to go away, as brown bags are often used for lunches and I think that is probably the stronger context. But it's honestly not something I've heard discussed, so I'd rather differ to others and be on the safe side.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm very familiar with the brown bag test. But we still call them brown bags. I dunno. I'm glad to be having this discussion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I agree, and that's what I meant by this -

quote:

But it's honestly not something I've heard discussed, so I'd rather differ to others and be on the safe side.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think you should interview. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And here I am learning CloudFormation like an idiot.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 19, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also check out FTC vs. Wyndham. I've been able to use that to put the fear of god into execs quite in bit in my travels.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed, pretty amazing. But being bound to the settlement for 20 years isn't something most businesses are going to want to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, does not cover RDS. Also lol.

In Canada, not the US, but we're already seeing legal cases on this sort of thing.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/02/air-canada-must-honor-refund-policy-invented-by-airlines-chatbot/