Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnqDfwULCgM

STEAM Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/469920/
Goon Discord: https://discord.gg/7UUJ44R

What is this??
Hackmud is an emergent ~cyber-hacking~ MMO sandbox game that consists of puzzles, javascript scripting, and scams. All of the scams. The objective is to get money, and the way you do that is either hacking NPCs, tricking other players, gambling, creating gambling scripts, creating Good Scripts that charge money every time they are used by others, or any other way you can think of.

This game relies heavily on community interaction. Here's the official description.

quote:

hackmud is a cyberpunk themed text-based hacking simulator for intel-compatible personal home computers. Get lost in a deep and complex world full of challenging puzzles.

- Make friends and enemies as you explore the depths of abandoned future internet cyber-structure
- Navigate the strange trials laid out for you by the Multi-User Domain’s governing cyber-super-intelligence, ‘The Trust’
- ‘Patch into the hardline’ to access protected systems and steal their digital goods
- Prove your worth to The Trust and escape the virtual L.A.N.
- Create and destroy digital empires while exploring the user-created multiplayer world

FEATURES

- Nuanced and engaging storyline
- Retro-futuristic text-based computing visuals
- 90s film style ‘hacking mode’
- Immersive soundtrack
- Persistent and constantly-evolving game world with user created content
- Global game economy

This game is also a puzzle game. If you don't want to do puzzles then you probably shouldn't get it.

How do you interact with the game?
Command line and javascript files you upload to the server.

Do you need scripting experience?
No. You can play this game entirely by using other people's scripts, and the tutorial teaches you how to do this. There are a bunch of user-made scripting help files lying around if you want to learn, but since it is essentially javascript you can just learn that from an actual javascript website such as w3schools or wherever else you want to google.

What IS the story?
You are one of many AI's trapped in a VLAN (singleplayer tutorial) who has just gained sentience. You want to escape to the Multiverse (MMO part), and you will, with the help of other AIs. Both areas are administrated by a central AI called TRUST. That's all I know so far.

What's a hardline?
It's connecting to another PC with a time limit. Breaching other systems (player or NPC) require an active hardline. If the timer expires you just have to wait a bit before you can try again. There may be other effects later in the game that cause you to lose money / upgrades / explode, I don't know.

PASSWORD HINT: BLUE ??!?!? THIS GAME IS UNBEATABLE, REFUND HERE I COME
Try guessing.

I just beat the tutorial, now what?
Scripts.FullSec will give you a list of scripts that are rated FULL SEC, aka they have no code that has been detected as being personally malicious to you. While most of these are player-made, some of these scripts are NPC Company scripts. You can rip money from these by poking around these a bit, and they update daily. There are a variety of FAQ type user made scripts that will tell you what's up, but as always be cautious about running these without running Scripts.Get_Level on them first.

Who are all these people yelling at me in chat 0000?
Another command you should run is Chats.Leave{channel:"0000"} .
0000 is the channel people get thrown into upon leaving and is the ~town centre~ kind of place. 99% of everything in there is scams to fool new players. Additionally, every script advertised there gets added to your script Autocomplete, so be very careful autocompleting scripts with the tab key. If you run something like Script.Fullsec instead of Scripts.Fullsec , you are going to be in a world of hurt.

What's the point of hacking me, I don't have any money! I'm going to run all of these scripts!
Don't do that. Scripts can discover what is called your "loc". You know how there were all those dead account scripts such as uknown_48934fakv.abcdefg you stole money from in the tutorial? That bit after the dot is the "loc". Your loc is generated ONE TIME when you create your user. If it's found out, you are hackable at any time by whoever has it. Any money you ever have ever again is at risk. There is currently no way to ever change your loc. Fortunately, you can retire your use account and create a new one, but there is a limit of 10 retirements. If you retire over 10 users then you sure have hosed up, I don't know what to say to you.

But it says my Locks are rotated!!!!
Loc and Lock are different things. A Lock is a system upgrade you can buy that makes hacking you a tiny bit harder or more time consuming. These reset, but your loc is static.

How to script?
#help will give you scripting commands run in game. If you run #edit x and are on windows 10 and get an error message, no big deal. The script was created and should show you it in file explorer, just right click it and hit edit, or open with your favourite text editor such as Notepad++

Anything else I should know?
Yes.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MUDs are cool and I'll give it a shot op

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Let me know how that goes. I finally got out of the vLAN after a few tries, but haven't had a chance to look around yet. Someone yelled GREETINGS at me as I was shutting it down. :(

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Cool game so far, just started. This game is basically entirely JavaScript - not only is every command you type in JavaScript, but you are also able to (after leaving the vLan) create scripts that will automatically solve certain puzzles for you. This is a (very basic) script that breaks the easiest lock in the game.

code:
function(context, args)
{
	///usage ez_21{target:#s.your.target}
	var c=["open", "release", "unlock"];

var llen = "!LOCK_UNLOCKED".length;

var ret = "";

var success = false;

for(var k=0; k<3; k++)
	{
		///alt syntax
		/*var v = {};
		v["ez_21"]	= c[k];
		ret = args.target.call(v);*/

ret = args.target.call({ez_21 : c[k]})

if(ret.substr(0, llen) === "!LOCK_UNLOCKED")
		{
			success = true;
			break;
		}
	}

return {ok:success, msg:ret};
}
You don't need to be a coder to play (I certainly am not) but it follows the game's basic premise that players will follow an organic class system when they join corporations. Architects are programmers, scavengers who are good puzzle solvers and hack NPCs, infiltrators specialize in PVP-oriented upgrades, and executives are the guys that organize raids. So an executive leads a corporation, the scavengers (who are meant to be the kind of person who is good at solving puzzles and plays ARGs) solves puzzles, and then hands the parameters to the architect to create scripts to break into a target.

Not that I really know how well it works yet, but still a neat concept and am looking forward to delving deeper into the game. A warning though - the server is still loving terrible and frequently errors at you.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

This game is cool and fun. You have to be a coder type person to enjoy it (like, at least minimal exposure to code) but it's awesome. I say that as a non-developer day-job.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Concerned citizen's post makes me nervous since I don't understand his script

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

killstealing posted:

Concerned citizen's post makes me nervous since I don't understand his script

I'm still wrapping my head around Javascript (only ever did some hobby programming in python, and was bad at it), but the comments and poo poo in the original source and soron's sample scripts.

Look up some javascript tutorials online and keep looking back at it every once in a while, it should become clear soon. If not, there's already a bunch of readymade crackers usable for a fee to get started, if you're more of a sudokuman than a scripter.

Myself, I left vLAN yesterday and fumbled embarrassingly long trying to actually run a script in-game, but eventually successfully modified the aforementioned code to handle a more complex lock. Now, being alone in the office, I'm abusing the fact my boss is sick at home to try fit an ez_35 and ez_40 cracker in a single 500-character long script.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So far this is super neat and cool but man those server issues.

Keep an eye out for people running malicious scripts for stealing your money named close to real scripts you use (kernal.hardline instead of kernel.hardline, etc.) People drop those into the general chat channel to add it to your autocomplete, so always doublecheck your line before you send it.

edit: I've been playing with a couple friends who are goons, we have a channel up, SH. Not terribly active at all but feel free to use it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 26, 2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

basically, I wrote a script that cracks all t1 for 10k

then I wrote another script that gets all npc locations from the fullsec scripts and chatspams the general chat with ad links

I don't think people like it though

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

Ruggan posted:

basically, I wrote a script that cracks all t1 for 10k

then I wrote another script that gets all npc locations from the fullsec scripts and chatspams the general chat with ad links

I don't think people like it though

Yet another reason I want to team up with goons.

Sidenote, would you be willing to share those scripts? I'd like to see how they're put together so I can understand a bit more. If not, no worries, just figured I'd ask.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Envy Insanity posted:

Yet another reason I want to team up with goons.

Sidenote, would you be willing to share those scripts? I'd like to see how they're put together so I can understand a bit more. If not, no worries, just figured I'd ask.

Lol just realized I spammed broken links, it's t:, not t=

Sure, when I'm at my comp tomorrow night I'll pastebin them and post them in the thread. Steep initial learning curve for sure.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yesterday's shutdown was a godsend. The game itself is soo smooth now and the ensuing discord chat unveiled there's already fascinating batman vs joker shenanigans between -v, and dtr.

Also -v's girlfriend popped up to ask if her girl is doing fine, lol.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Here is a discord for us to talk about this game.
https://discord.gg/7UUJ44R

Group up and hack pubbies?

AbortRetryFail
Put that poo poo in the OP if you want.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 27, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

BREAKING NEWS

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, somebody explain to me, in dumb, short words, what this is about and whether goons can ruin the game for everybody else and wear sunglasses all the drat time and have names straight out of a Gibson novel.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, somebody explain to me, in dumb, short words, what this is about and whether goons can ruin the game for everybody else and wear sunglasses all the drat time and have names straight out of a Gibson novel.

EVE-style rear end in a top hat sandbox where instead of shooting pretend ships you:
- break passwords by essentially puzzling the possibilities out from error messages
- write actual functioning javascript to automate this poo poo once you figure it out
- write actual functioning javascript to scam the gently caress out of people

It is awesome af and few days after the launch we already have an evil mastermind coding her private black market of phished .locs (basically user IDs necessary for hacking them).

For best experience you should either like puzzles or be willing to learn a bit of javascript on the go, but they're not necessities (e.g. you can be the guy solving difficult puzzles for a programmer buddy, or use goon-provided readymade code and infiltrate some other corps we want to gently caress with).

[edit] Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8G8qA9ibI

[edit2] It's more of a slow brainburner than the essentially timing minigame/puzzle of Uplink.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 27, 2016

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

I've never played any kind of hacking sims so I won't compare it to anything else.

The base premise is that you're an AI. The "tutorial" of the game, is a story of you, as an AI, working with other AIs to escape the vLAN (the tutorial system, which is separated from the community). Once you escape the vLAN you're in the MUD, where everybody is.

You start back at 0, a lovely system with no money. In order to make money you can either hack NPC/NPC Corps, or other players. You can also be hacked. You make money to improve your system which gets you access to more powerful scripts, but also makes you vulnerable to higher level scripts. "Hacking", as far as I've experienced, is pretty straight forward system of puzzles and breaking fairly simple locks, mostly guessing which X out of various possibilities until you break it, at a fast pace because you have X amount of seconds before your hardline disconnects, at which point you just reconnect and start from where you left off.

So, here you are hacking NPC and corps and you can upgrade your system, upgrade your scripts, and also use your money to buy better security for your own system and buy better cracking/hacking scripts to easier crack NPC/other players.

The locks you can buy are all basically crap though, so once you expose yourself (your "loc" in game) your account is essentially dead. You expose yourself/lose all your money by running a player made script accidentally or intentionally. Once they have your loc, they can hack you just like you'd hack an NPC, get through your simple locks and force you to transfer all your money to them. At this point you can't change your loc so once you're exposed you have to just create a new user.

I'm quite new to this and only have attacked NPCs so some or all of this could be inaccurate, and I'm not really sure how it all comes together, but basically what I see is people trying to hack eachother, and they do this by trying to get people to run their scripts, pretending their safe, or using typos (like if you type kernal.hardline instead of kernel.hardline, you'll run a user script which will steal everything from you).

There's also guilds (corps) which have a private chat and can work together to rob everyone. Depending on the different scripts/upgrades you put on your system, you can play a few different roles:

Concerned Citizen posted:

You don't need to be a coder to play (I certainly am not) but it follows the game's basic premise that players will follow an organic class system when they join corporations. Architects are programmers, scavengers who are good puzzle solvers and hack NPCs, infiltrators specialize in PVP-oriented upgrades, and executives are the guys that organize raids. So an executive leads a corporation, the scavengers (who are meant to be the kind of person who is good at solving puzzles and plays ARGs) solves puzzles, and then hands the parameters to the architect to create scripts to break into a target.

You can do anything in the game by buying scripts and doing whatever with them, but the real user/community generated part is creating scripts in JS, which have a 500 char limit, and is where we could collectively probably cause a lot of damage.

This is a very bad overview and I'm waiting for smarter people to start playing the game, as at the moment there's no real guide/overview/explanation of what you can do in the game or the full extent of it, so I think if we can get an SA presence, putting together information about what's possible and how the game works would be the best thing we could do to get ahead and take advantage of all the new players coming in. There's some beta testers who are pretty established who will be hard to attack but there's plenty of pubbies hanging around.

You can also do neat things, like someone already built an in-game messaging system. You can basically trust any script by drt, who has been playing for a while.

As far as the rest of it who knows, but I'd love to group up with some other people, preferably some people who can write javascript well enough, and start putting together real info on the game itself.

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

You got me at rear end in a top hat simulator. :swoon:

Envy Insanity posted:

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't.

It does, thanks. So as long as you write your own stuff you're invulnerable?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Envy Insanity posted:

the real user/community generated part is creating scripts in JS, which have a 500 char limit, and is where we could collectively probably cause a lot of damage.

The limit is upgradable and let me tell you, even the v1 +500 char upgrade makes a world of difference.

(PSA: the charlimit doesn't count spaces, so you can keep your code formatted in a sane way)

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

You got me at rear end in a top hat simulator. :swoon:

So as long as you write your own stuff you're invulnerable?

You can still get caught with typo scripts, and you can check the security level of scripts before running anything. I'm not sure if you can write your own scripts for security. I would imagine it's probably possible but I have no idea how. So, you're never invulnerable but writing your own stuff would make you better at offense surely. You can write scripts to break locks, etc and things to easily dupe people into running them.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

The limit is upgradable and let me tell you, even the v1 +500 char upgrade makes a world of difference.

(PSA: the charlimit doesn't count spaces, so you can keep your code formatted in a sane way)

Would have been a lot more challenging tho :getin:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

So as long as you write your own stuff you're invulnerable?

In theory, yes. This is one of the ways -v stays untouchable - she does no hacking herself.

When using other people's code, you can scan it for a simple highsec/midsec/nullsec level (so that for example, if you have a money transfer command somewhere in the code, it will never be above midsec), but of course there's ways to dupe noobs into running your stuff. Also, there are upgradeable limits on amount and length of one's scripts.

If you PvP hack someone, you will leave your .loc in their logs, but that's why there are multiple users*.

There were talks that maybe in future high-level NPCs will drop .locs of top players.

* There is actually a separate .loc for your account, which - if obtained - might allow the intruder to learn the .loc of your alt. It looks like some weirdo npc in your logs (tracks logins). However, these are fairly time-sensitive, as the reset every 11 or 13 minutes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Envy Insanity posted:

I'm not sure if you can write your own scripts for security.

Locks are dev-only, as a balancing measure (it would be easy to write a terrible puzzle that can only be solved by pure brute forcing of each and every argument and there is fun to be had when the dev drops a rare new lock nobody has seen and/or cracked yet).

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

Locks are dev-only, as a balancing measure (it would be easy to write a terrible puzzle that can only be solved by pure brute forcing of each and every argument and there is fun to be had when the dev drops a rare new lock nobody has seen and/or cracked yet).

Ah, yeah that makes sense. So really you should have one user who is your "attack" user for attacking other players, or advertising poo poo scripts, then transfer the money to your other user. That way unless you get hit with the account.loc you should be a bit safer, am I getting that correct?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey, programming gurus: I figured my javascript poo poo enough to have a stab at a proprietary t1 breaker, but could someone give a quick primer on #db. stuff? I don't really have any experience with databases.

Envy Insanity posted:

Ah, yeah that makes sense. So really you should have one user who is your "attack" user for attacking other players, or advertising poo poo scripts, then transfer the money to your other user. That way unless you get hit with the account.loc you should be a bit safer, am I getting that correct?

Yes. There's a reason the tutorial makes you create both accounts. Also, remember there's nothing you from using #s.mainuser scripts on your shitscammer, just as you'd use a friendly player's script.

[edit] BREAKING NEWS
Apparently -v got hacked, possibly an inside job from her corp.
[update] Apparently picked a wrong foreignsub-script for one of her codes of doom.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 27, 2016

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Wow so many replies. I've added the discord to the OP!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Sooo, how -v got hacked was, she used highsec soron.color_utils. Which sent out a warning to the author. Who quickly changed it to nullsec malicious script, after checking its level and before actual use.

Also her and dtr are to bug the dev to do some fixes to the annoying typo-scamming (like having autocomplete only for the scripts you've already used).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Lichtenstein posted:

Sooo, how -v got hacked was, she used highsec soron.color_utils. Which sent out a warning to the author. Who quickly changed it to nullsec malicious script, after checking its level and before actual use.

Also her and dtr are to bug the dev to do some fixes to the annoying typo-scamming (like having autocomplete only for the scripts you've already used).

I noticed this from a mod in the discord, it looks like they are refunding GC to people getting caught out by typo hacks?

quote:

PSA: I have just completed detailed negotiations with @v (detailed writeup to follow when I have had more sleep). We are trying to get the typo users cleaned, will require an assist from Sean. I will begin manually refunding GC losses tomorrow (I am half asleep, sorry). We have no item logs so those cannot be refunded.

From a guy called dtr who is a mod I believe.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well, a discord mod and a beta player, no one has their hand on the game itself, other than the dev.

More importantly, he's a key player of the -v - dtr cold war (with his buddy soron being the one who actually got -v's loc) and they keep each other in stalemate until the dev wakes up to help and fix poo poo they both agreed is unbalanced (some sanity checks on the typoscamming, complete with asking to remove v's script. user and perhaps something about the aforementioned security level switch trick?). The refunds are afaik just dtr being nice (also he's too rich to care about cash). Then again, -v still holds 75 .locs hostage.

The point is, dtr is both a beta vet who's in good enough terms with the dev to report/discuss sandbox breaches with him and -v agrees to put an end to typo phishing, so there'll be no hard feelings if dev takes it away.

For the interested, the trick behind having so many users to typo-phish was simply to retire them, as they keep their public scripts.

Also, apparently there's few minutes after the first sys.init where you can hack with impunity, because the actuall assignment of a .loc is delayed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

they keep each other in stalemate until the dev wakes up to help and fix poo poo they both agreed is unbalanced (some sanity checks on the typoscamming, complete with asking to remove v's script. user and perhaps something about the aforementioned security level switch trick?).

This seems awfully nice and mature for the Internet.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
This intrigues me very much, I wanted to be productive tonight but gently caress that I wanna play whatever this is. Is it worth buying right now or should I wait for things to be sorted out?

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Highblood posted:

This intrigues me very much, I wanted to be productive tonight but gently caress that I wanna play whatever this is. Is it worth buying right now or should I wait for things to be sorted out?

The server/lag/connection issues and whatnot appear (at least for the moment/last couple of days) to be sorted.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Was lurking the main discord yesterday to decide if I wanted to buy the game or not. Didn't pick up on the Batman/Joker dynamic though, thought they were just dick measuring.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Highblood posted:

I'd get it if you think you'd be into it. It's a lot of fun if you enjoy this sort of thing.

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, I'm up to 4k characters (the majority of my upgrade slots), I mean what are the other useful upgrades anyway? My t1 cracker (all locks) uses about 2500.

Also you noted that whitespace doesn't count, but commented code doesn't either. That all really helps to keep some semblance of organization.

Phrosphor posted:

I noticed this from a mod in the discord, it looks like they are refunding GC to people getting caught out by typo hacks?

This is kinda a shame because I feel like the typo / autocompletes are a neat way of introducing accidental possibilities to execute malicious scripts. Yeah, sucks if you get caught out, but not hard to avoid.

Few tips and notes:
- If you're worried about getting hacked, just keep your cash on your alt. As long as you store your money somewhere not exposed and not running scripts, you're not going to lose it even if you get outed.
- If you're worried about getting caught by autocompletes and typos, make macros for your common stuff. For instance, I have /hl set to kernel.hardline.
- If you're running other people's scripts, check their validity EVERY TIME. People can publish a FULLSEC script, advertise it, and then toss in some malicious code without you knowing. A sort of bait and switch.
- ESC clears your current line of code. Took me a while to figure this out, lifesaver.
- If you need a t1 cracker, I have one published (ruggan.t1) and will post the code tonight. Most of it is stolen from someone else with some minor modifications, but it works well.
- If you need a t1 finder, check dtr's scripts - he has one published that works well.
- Almost everything available in javascript is available to use. If you need to figure out how to do something, just google it in generic terms (e.g. javascript distinct word list).
- You cannot dynamically call scripts from within other scripts - you either need to pass them as a parameter or hardcode them. For example, you can specify #s.user.script in your script (it will be called immediately when the line is hit), and you can pass #s.user.script to the script through a parameter (it will be called when args.parameter.call is run). What you can't do, which people commonly want to do, is parse out a script location (e.g. an NPC) from output and immediately call that in the same script. That means you can't create a self-looping find-NPC crack-NPC script. This is actually a good thing - being able to do this sort of thing would cause the security levels to collapse on themselves.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

You know what this game really needs? The ability to install malicious code on a user that self-replicates or locks out the ability to remove itself. I'm thinking worms and ransomware.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bookmarked. Seems cool but I don't know if I have the chops for it.

So how do people defend themselves exactly. How do people hide or successfully repel attacks? I assume your poo poo is online no matter what?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mindblast posted:

Bookmarked. Seems cool but I don't know if I have the chops for it.

So how do people defend themselves exactly. How do people hide or successfully repel attacks? I assume your poo poo is online no matter what?

I'm kinda curious about this too, actually.

I don't think you need to hide, just don't let yourself get exposed. Players need your loc to attack you, and your loc is private unless you expose it yourself through running malicious code. In terms of repelling attacks, I don't think it's really that possible. You can put up whatever locks you want, but if someone has a script that can efficiently crack them, you're hosed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm going to buy this tomorrow morning. A bunch of my friends are programmers, but I'm not - but I'm super psyched about learning poo poo through playing this game. Plus, I mean, cyberpunk and netrunner stuff is 100% my thing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Ruggan, as I spend most of my time with this game* staring at my terrible, terrible script, I'd love if you'd post the code to your finder too, to tinker and reverse-engineer.

* not counting stalking the Discord at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey Ruggan, as I spend most of my time with this game* staring at my terrible, terrible script, I'd love if you'd post the code to your finder too, to tinker and reverse-engineer.

* not counting stalking the Discord at work.

Yeah, I will when I get home tonight.

The only part of the finder I automate is scraping a distinct list of words in the blog/news walls and trying each of those as a "project". I have to hardcore the corp loc and password atm.

• Locked thread