Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

quiggy posted:

Yeah I've been skipping acct+glock but I swear that like 90% of T2s have both of those and it's really frustrating to be constantly abandoning T2 locs because of it. Maybe it wouldn't be so frustrating if my phone was better at reading QR codes.

I think the QR code thing is kind of bullshit. I don't have a smart phone, and my only other options are using some sort of Windows app that don't seem to work very well, and also require me to put the game in windowed mode, or to use one of the QR decoding scripts, which appear to cost 1MGC per use.

When I purchased the game it didn't say anything about requiring a loving external device, and the QR codes don't pop up in game until well after the two hour Steam refund limit.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
is there any overarching story once you hit the WAN or is it simply 'how much GC can you earn/hoard/scam'?

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Arsonide posted:

[...]or to use one of the QR decoding apps, which appear to cost 1MGC per use.

I mean, if they're decodable why don't you decode them yourself?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Bhodi posted:

is there any overarching story once you hit the WAN or is it simply 'how much GC can you earn/hoard/scam'?

No story, but you can piece together what happened to the world and where all the people went. Plenty of systems to puzzle through and explore by hand too. I mean it's basically eve online.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Picked this up last night. I think I'm almost out of the vLAN. Can't wait to get home and lose all my money by mistake.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Doctor_Acula posted:

Picked this up last night. I think I'm almost out of the vLAN. Can't wait to get home and lose all my money by mistake.

Good news! You can't! You start with nothing outside the vLAN. You'll also know you're close when you're hacking the firewalls

The single player is amazing by itself. It also does a good job of teaching you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
got a pretty epic drop this reset, glad i stayed up

Received 145MGC

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Found two script character count upgrades in a row, so I guess I should mess with this stuff.
Is the only place you can write to the user's console in the return statement? I guess that isn't a problem, but i expected there to be a command to do it elsewhere without ending the script and can't find any documentation about it.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 30, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

AbortRetryFail posted:

Found two script character count upgrades in a row, so I guess I should mess with this stuff.
Is the only place you can write to the user's console in the return statement? I guess that isn't a problem, but i expected there to be a command to do it elsewhere without ending the script and can't find any documentation about it.

You can have the scripts chats.tell you a message. Or (I think it should work) make a sub-function whose sole purpose is doing {return msg:dickbutt} while within your main function of the script.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Lichtenstein posted:

make a sub-function whose sole purpose is doing {return msg:dickbutt} while within your main function of the script.

Ahhh, why did I not think of that? :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So how do you raise your cap on allowed characters in scripts?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Is there a way to script a prompt rather than forcing player to define args?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

quiggy posted:

So how do you raise your cap on allowed characters in scripts?

Char_count upgrade from market or random drop from npc. They stack, or at least I have two differently coloured ones active at once.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just finished the tutorial and now I have no idea what's going on. How are people finding NPCs to hack?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

As far as I'm aware it is difficult to find T1 NPCs now as they only generate every 24hrs and are then rapidly hoovered up by scripts, making it difficult for new users to have a chance at hacking them. For me this refresh time is 1am, so I've given up on that avenue until it gets balanced.

Due to this I've decided to just make the most annoying scripts possible in 500 characters and hope someone pays me to stop

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
So I hosed up and ran a script I found in scripts.fullsec that nicked all my cash. Does that mean that account is compromised? Or that I just need to pay attention?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I hosed up and ran a script I found in scripts.fullsec that nicked all my cash. Does that mean that account is compromised? Or that I just need to pay attention?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think there was a recent update that makes your loc change periodically so I think you'll probably be ok.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
That would be nice. Shame there's no way to see where it went to get it back or clear my log. Unless I hear otherwise before my lunch break, I'm just gonna delete that user and learn from my mistakes.
437KGC lesson.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've just jumped on and managed to find some T1 NPCs manually for the first time ever. Dtr's harvest program said that it will be inactive for the time being, so that might be something to do with it.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
You know, I don't even think I have a location until I'm initialized. My logs just show transfers to and from my username, with no ".garbage" after it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Would a cash transfer normally show your loc?

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I would imagine so, since my logs show the anonymous.garbage npcs I boosted last night.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So can I not get out of 0000? 0000 is awful.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Doctor_Acula posted:

I would imagine so, since my logs show the anonymous.garbage npcs I boosted last night.

Yeah but you hacked into them and actually connected to them, right? So that's in the access log. If you ran a script that just made you transfer money to someone by xfer_gc_to, I don't think that's the same? If you check your accts.transactions, does that show the cash going out? That shows the username of who you sent it do, but not their loc, and vice versa. As far as I know, at least.

LordSaturn posted:

So can I not get out of 0000? 0000 is awful.

chats.leave { channel:"0000" }

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
That actually makes sense.
It shows the quality of this game that I'm that worried over fake digital security. I can't wait to get home and dive back in.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Ok so I'm a bit stumped with a script and I don't know if I can do anything about it with only 1 script and 500 character limit. Basically I made an EZ_40 script because it's the only t1 that's pretty impossible to do manually. It works except I don't know what to do if I get an NPC with multiple locks. Like this one here has an EZ_21 followed by the EZ_40, is there a way to pass the EZ_21 to my EZ_40 script?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lemon posted:

chats.leave { channel:"0000" }

I'll try that.

So do I need to do a sys.init after the firewall before I can hack t1s? Where do I get the GC for that, besides Haunty Mall?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Highblood posted:

Ok so I'm a bit stumped with a script and I don't know if I can do anything about it with only 1 script and 500 character limit. Basically I made an EZ_40 script because it's the only t1 that's pretty impossible to do manually. It works except I don't know what to do if I get an NPC with multiple locks. Like this one here has an EZ_21 followed by the EZ_40, is there a way to pass the EZ_21 to my EZ_40 script?

I wrote a (fairly unoptimized) lock pick that should attack all the locks, however I kept running into issues with the 5 second timeout (not sure what the bottleneck was since timing functions wouldn't help profile). I think using the #s macro to execute a script takes some time and the latency with the server can cause issues. Anyone have any ideas around this?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

LordSaturn posted:

So do I need to do a sys.init after the firewall before I can hack t1s?

Nope. Run scripts.fullsec and check for ones that look like NPCs - cyberdine.pub_info, weyland.access, things like that. All the info you need to find a list of NPC locs will be there, it's a small puzzle to work out how to get it.

If you want to know exactly then this is a pretty good guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2-QINk5zwM

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Highblood posted:

You could have an argument that you pass in as previous properties, and pass them alongside your test properties for EZ_40.
code:
let test_args = Object.assign({}, args.input, { ez_40: "buttes" });
(Object.assign copies all properties from arguments into the first argument and returns the first argument)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Highblood posted:

You can upgrade your char count, but at 500 you're only really able to fit one or two breakers in a single script.

The easiest way is to build a function for each lock. Your main code should loop until it detects the unlock message. If it isn't unlocked, call the function that cracks the lock you're up against. Make sure to pass arguments forward in case there are multiple locks.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

By the way, if I'm around and anyone needs some starter help, I can probably spare you a couple mil to get your first sys.init, along with some spare upgrades. Just message me in discord.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lemon posted:

Nope. Run scripts.fullsec and check for ones that look like NPCs - cyberdine.pub_info, weyland.access, things like that.
Can you rig a script to report a false security level to scripts.get_level?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Mr. Jive posted:

Can you rig a script to report a false security level to scripts.get_level?

As far as I'm aware, no. And I believe that if it turns out you can, you shouldn't be able to. scripts.get_level is supposed to be one of the small amount of things you can 100% trust.

Of course in the few seconds between you checking that script and then actually running it, who knows what the owner may have done with it?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Glagha posted:

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think there was a recent update that makes your loc change periodically so I think you'll probably be ok.

This is mistaken info. Loc and lock sound alike and i confused them too but your loc never ever changes. Once it's out it's out. You don't have one before initializing though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lock rotation means people are no longer breached and their locks reset their state. So an unlocked ez21 is no longer unlocked. However npcs stay unlocked in my experience. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This game seems like it might appeal to me being a) a day to day C++/C# programmer and b) a lover of Uplink, Snow Crash, and all other things sci fi

However I have a very regrettable tendency to get Mad At Video Games in PvP situations

So a) How avoidable is PvP, or is it entirely the basis of the game; b) how long does it take to get back on your feet if you get deaded; c) when y'all talk about alts on the first page does that mean registering for the game with multiple email addresses or something because that kind of chicanery drives me loving irrationally nuts

Lemon
May 22, 2003

a. You could probably get by without it in terms of hacking NPCs and making cash, but PVP seems to be the focus. But you could potentially do things like making useful scripts which people pay to use and earn money that way.
b. If your username is compromised then it's compromised for good. You may be able to transfer scripts and money out of it, if any are left, but otherwise it's pretty much useless and will need to be retired.
c. When you start up you get to register two usernames. These can be retired at any point and replaced with a new one, but you can only have two at a time. Also there seems to be a limit whereby you can only retire ten users.

I was wondering about the retirement limit, actually. I can see why it's there, but it seems that if you're stupid/unlucky enough to get hacked ten times then it's pretty much game over for good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dtr publicly posts his loc, right? I figure there's gotta be some way of safeguarding an exposed loc if he does that.

• Locked thread