Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just finished the tutorial and now I have no idea what's going on. How are people finding NPCs to hack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lemon posted:

Nope. Run scripts.fullsec and check for ones that look like NPCs - cyberdine.pub_info, weyland.access, things like that.
Can you rig a script to report a false security level to scripts.get_level?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's a user called db in 0000 spamming "scrips.fullsec" which is lowsec. I'm getting Jita local flashbacks from EVE here.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lemon posted:

You'd think at some point I'd get tired of making horrible things like this, but now that I'm buying more script space I think it's just going to get worse

Pro-tip for ASCII art: the game terminal displays UTF-8 but not UTF-16.

Source: Me, who spent too much time on an overambitious ASCII art script today before realizing I have no artistic talent.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

Wintermute too on the nose about AI and Gibson?

Nice, I was thinking Tessier-Ashpool! Although playing this game makes me feel like Bobby Newark.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Argue posted:

This game looks interesting but I just saw the word "Javascript" and... ugh. Am I going to end up writing a gajillion nested callbacks?

Nah. You start out with 500 chars (not counting whitespace or comments) of maximum script space. You can buy upgrades but we're not building enterprise software over here. You're more likely to end up playing code golf.

That said this is a cool game and I'm amazed every day at how much players have learned about the game systems just by poking at it. It's pretty crazy stuff considering the main interaction is typing in script names.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
So writing scripts that read shell.txt isn't out of bounds? I thought that was mega haram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It's really enthralling though. I imagine if you actually know how to code it all comes a lot more naturally.

Not really. You mostly figure out game mechanics by poking at them. Being a Javascript wizard lets you play a better game of code golf, that is, fitting as much code within the character limit as possible. Anyone hungry enough can play this game.

• Locked thread