Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

killstealing posted:

Concerned citizen's post makes me nervous since I don't understand his script

I'm still wrapping my head around Javascript (only ever did some hobby programming in python, and was bad at it), but the comments and poo poo in the original source and soron's sample scripts.

Look up some javascript tutorials online and keep looking back at it every once in a while, it should become clear soon. If not, there's already a bunch of readymade crackers usable for a fee to get started, if you're more of a sudokuman than a scripter.

Myself, I left vLAN yesterday and fumbled embarrassingly long trying to actually run a script in-game, but eventually successfully modified the aforementioned code to handle a more complex lock. Now, being alone in the office, I'm abusing the fact my boss is sick at home to try fit an ez_35 and ez_40 cracker in a single 500-character long script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yesterday's shutdown was a godsend. The game itself is soo smooth now and the ensuing discord chat unveiled there's already fascinating batman vs joker shenanigans between -v, and dtr.

Also -v's girlfriend popped up to ask if her girl is doing fine, lol.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

BREAKING NEWS

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, somebody explain to me, in dumb, short words, what this is about and whether goons can ruin the game for everybody else and wear sunglasses all the drat time and have names straight out of a Gibson novel.

EVE-style rear end in a top hat sandbox where instead of shooting pretend ships you:
- break passwords by essentially puzzling the possibilities out from error messages
- write actual functioning javascript to automate this poo poo once you figure it out
- write actual functioning javascript to scam the gently caress out of people

It is awesome af and few days after the launch we already have an evil mastermind coding her private black market of phished .locs (basically user IDs necessary for hacking them).

For best experience you should either like puzzles or be willing to learn a bit of javascript on the go, but they're not necessities (e.g. you can be the guy solving difficult puzzles for a programmer buddy, or use goon-provided readymade code and infiltrate some other corps we want to gently caress with).

[edit] Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8G8qA9ibI

[edit2] It's more of a slow brainburner than the essentially timing minigame/puzzle of Uplink.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 27, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Envy Insanity posted:

the real user/community generated part is creating scripts in JS, which have a 500 char limit, and is where we could collectively probably cause a lot of damage.

The limit is upgradable and let me tell you, even the v1 +500 char upgrade makes a world of difference.

(PSA: the charlimit doesn't count spaces, so you can keep your code formatted in a sane way)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

So as long as you write your own stuff you're invulnerable?

In theory, yes. This is one of the ways -v stays untouchable - she does no hacking herself.

When using other people's code, you can scan it for a simple highsec/midsec/nullsec level (so that for example, if you have a money transfer command somewhere in the code, it will never be above midsec), but of course there's ways to dupe noobs into running your stuff. Also, there are upgradeable limits on amount and length of one's scripts.

If you PvP hack someone, you will leave your .loc in their logs, but that's why there are multiple users*.

There were talks that maybe in future high-level NPCs will drop .locs of top players.

* There is actually a separate .loc for your account, which - if obtained - might allow the intruder to learn the .loc of your alt. It looks like some weirdo npc in your logs (tracks logins). However, these are fairly time-sensitive, as the reset every 11 or 13 minutes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Envy Insanity posted:

I'm not sure if you can write your own scripts for security.

Locks are dev-only, as a balancing measure (it would be easy to write a terrible puzzle that can only be solved by pure brute forcing of each and every argument and there is fun to be had when the dev drops a rare new lock nobody has seen and/or cracked yet).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey, programming gurus: I figured my javascript poo poo enough to have a stab at a proprietary t1 breaker, but could someone give a quick primer on #db. stuff? I don't really have any experience with databases.

Envy Insanity posted:

Ah, yeah that makes sense. So really you should have one user who is your "attack" user for attacking other players, or advertising poo poo scripts, then transfer the money to your other user. That way unless you get hit with the account.loc you should be a bit safer, am I getting that correct?

Yes. There's a reason the tutorial makes you create both accounts. Also, remember there's nothing you from using #s.mainuser scripts on your shitscammer, just as you'd use a friendly player's script.

[edit] BREAKING NEWS
Apparently -v got hacked, possibly an inside job from her corp.
[update] Apparently picked a wrong foreignsub-script for one of her codes of doom.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 27, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Sooo, how -v got hacked was, she used highsec soron.color_utils. Which sent out a warning to the author. Who quickly changed it to nullsec malicious script, after checking its level and before actual use.

Also her and dtr are to bug the dev to do some fixes to the annoying typo-scamming (like having autocomplete only for the scripts you've already used).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well, a discord mod and a beta player, no one has their hand on the game itself, other than the dev.

More importantly, he's a key player of the -v - dtr cold war (with his buddy soron being the one who actually got -v's loc) and they keep each other in stalemate until the dev wakes up to help and fix poo poo they both agreed is unbalanced (some sanity checks on the typoscamming, complete with asking to remove v's script. user and perhaps something about the aforementioned security level switch trick?). The refunds are afaik just dtr being nice (also he's too rich to care about cash). Then again, -v still holds 75 .locs hostage.

The point is, dtr is both a beta vet who's in good enough terms with the dev to report/discuss sandbox breaches with him and -v agrees to put an end to typo phishing, so there'll be no hard feelings if dev takes it away.

For the interested, the trick behind having so many users to typo-phish was simply to retire them, as they keep their public scripts.

Also, apparently there's few minutes after the first sys.init where you can hack with impunity, because the actuall assignment of a .loc is delayed.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Ruggan, as I spend most of my time with this game* staring at my terrible, terrible script, I'd love if you'd post the code to your finder too, to tinker and reverse-engineer.

* not counting stalking the Discord at work.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Ok duders, coding problem:

I made a t1 universal cracking script I'm finally fairly happy with. The code currently takes two args:
- target: which is the #s. I'm hacking
- lock: a simple variable to guide the script to proper cracking method (will probably try and automate that, once I solve my little problem)

My trouble is, what if I want to crack a second lock? I need to add ez_21:"open" or whatever the solution to the first one was to target.calls and I'm kinda confused as to how to handle this.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

TwingeCrag posted:

I broke out of the vLan but now I'm stumped by the NPC faction billboard servers. I feel really dumb.

The things you are looking for are rather recognizable as non-natural text. Kinda like the four numbers in vLan's halperyon server.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Exactly like you did with EZ series! Type {c003:"dickbutt"} and then see where error messages lead you.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Keep trying, they keep getting breached and seeded anew. If you see *everyone* in a given place empty, then someone went the same route a bit earlier. Go fleece some other NPC.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

AbortRetryFail posted:

Found two script character count upgrades in a row, so I guess I should mess with this stuff.
Is the only place you can write to the user's console in the return statement? I guess that isn't a problem, but i expected there to be a command to do it elsewhere without ending the script and can't find any documentation about it.

You can have the scripts chats.tell you a message. Or (I think it should work) make a sub-function whose sole purpose is doing {return msg:dickbutt} while within your main function of the script.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Can someone enlighten me as to how the scriptor input for CON_SPEC should be formatted?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Playing Haunty Mall doesn't hurt too (probably).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

God, I love this game, even if it makes me feel really dumb.

Tips to those dismayed about the T1 drought:
1) Learn to obtain the npc locs in lists, there's more of them than it seems. :wink:
2) Play dtr.haunty_mall each day - it's fullsec, costs you nothing and offers a daily 1:3 chance to get 1.5 mil, which is a godsend for these first inits and script upgrades.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I got confused about scriptors, being the coding noob I am.

What I wanted to do, is make a script where I dump all npc locks I dug up, with calls to my cracker, for the convenience of only entering a single line of script after kernel.hardline (I find it more convenient to paste from the shell log file to a text editor, than deal with the lovely in-game text selector). So the entire code is meant to basically look like this:
code:
function (context, args)
{
	#s.dickbutt.mycracker({target:#s.npc.loc1})
	#s.dickbutt.mycracker({target:#s.npc.loc2})
	#s.dickbutt.mycracker({target:#s.npc.loc3})
	#s.dickbutt.mycracker({target:#s.npc.loc4})
	#s.dickbutt.mycracker({target:#s.npc.loc5})
}
My trouble being, I can't really pass a scriptor as an argument other than making it a call, like ({target:args.npc1.}). Which feels like a dumb and wrong way to do what I'm trying to do here. I think I'm supposed to wrap this poo poo in a small function whose sole purpose is to return the scriptor in question, but apparently Ican't get them right.

Can anyone show me how my bad pseudocode should have been written?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

MUD 2.0 just isn't what it used to be.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

CountingWizard posted:

This showed only connections to my two users. It was definitely an npc loc. I breached them on connect, and it does change regularly. It was t1, and I couldn't run xfer scripts on it. I'm starting to think maybe this is how you get to a banking alt if you can breach a player's primary username.

It's the .loc of your account, linking your users via logs. It just looks like a rando NPC, 'cause it's reset every 11-13 minutes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I think it changes randomly each lock reset.

Also, apparenly, you can stall a great deal with T2 locks, as the second you get memo'd your glock brought you some cash, you can keeep sending small sums of GC to the attacker to gently caress with his balance sheet.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Oh, so you can ensure glock into acct_nt?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

Never

Breach

Your

Bank

So I take it, you can't really automate T2?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I meant that you can't really automate xfer_gc_from from your other user safely and that kinda rules out auto-glocking.

Or perhaps making a public script on your alt hardcoded to xfer_gc_to an amount passed as an argument to your main would work? Like, remotely force the alt to be xfer_gc_to's caller?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Been off the game for a few weeks (basically since figuring out how to solve T2 puzzles and figuring out automating them is out of my scrub programming league) for mostly time reasons. What's been happening since then, what's the fun ways to gently caress with people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

What's the procedure to get authorized to actually get to use the discord?

• Locked thread