Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just got this and it seems pretty cool so far. But I can't find any T1 NPCs? I used the harvest script and it's all empty. I went through the scripts.fullsec route and got into a few places which gave me lists of loc's, but none of them worked. Apparently they are all farmed out and need to reset each day? If true that doesn't seem too fun.

Also, I think "thirst" is a perfectly acceptable answer to the "If you feed me I grow, but give me water and I'll die" riddle. gently caress you, game!

Lemon fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

As far as I'm aware it is difficult to find T1 NPCs now as they only generate every 24hrs and are then rapidly hoovered up by scripts, making it difficult for new users to have a chance at hacking them. For me this refresh time is 1am, so I've given up on that avenue until it gets balanced.

Due to this I've decided to just make the most annoying scripts possible in 500 characters and hope someone pays me to stop

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've just jumped on and managed to find some T1 NPCs manually for the first time ever. Dtr's harvest program said that it will be inactive for the time being, so that might be something to do with it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Would a cash transfer normally show your loc?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Doctor_Acula posted:

I would imagine so, since my logs show the anonymous.garbage npcs I boosted last night.

Yeah but you hacked into them and actually connected to them, right? So that's in the access log. If you ran a script that just made you transfer money to someone by xfer_gc_to, I don't think that's the same? If you check your accts.transactions, does that show the cash going out? That shows the username of who you sent it do, but not their loc, and vice versa. As far as I know, at least.

LordSaturn posted:

So can I not get out of 0000? 0000 is awful.

chats.leave { channel:"0000" }

Lemon
May 22, 2003

LordSaturn posted:

So do I need to do a sys.init after the firewall before I can hack t1s?

Nope. Run scripts.fullsec and check for ones that look like NPCs - cyberdine.pub_info, weyland.access, things like that. All the info you need to find a list of NPC locs will be there, it's a small puzzle to work out how to get it.

If you want to know exactly then this is a pretty good guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2-QINk5zwM

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Mr. Jive posted:

Can you rig a script to report a false security level to scripts.get_level?

As far as I'm aware, no. And I believe that if it turns out you can, you shouldn't be able to. scripts.get_level is supposed to be one of the small amount of things you can 100% trust.

Of course in the few seconds between you checking that script and then actually running it, who knows what the owner may have done with it?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

a. You could probably get by without it in terms of hacking NPCs and making cash, but PVP seems to be the focus. But you could potentially do things like making useful scripts which people pay to use and earn money that way.
b. If your username is compromised then it's compromised for good. You may be able to transfer scripts and money out of it, if any are left, but otherwise it's pretty much useless and will need to be retired.
c. When you start up you get to register two usernames. These can be retired at any point and replaced with a new one, but you can only have two at a time. Also there seems to be a limit whereby you can only retire ten users.

I was wondering about the retirement limit, actually. I can see why it's there, but it seems that if you're stupid/unlucky enough to get hacked ten times then it's pretty much game over for good?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

You'd think at some point I'd get tired of making horrible things like this, but now that I'm buying more script space I think it's just going to get worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't know what the deal is there but I'm interested to know, did their access logs show only connections to your two users, or other locs as well?

• Locked thread