Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

Ruggan posted:

basically, I wrote a script that cracks all t1 for 10k

then I wrote another script that gets all npc locations from the fullsec scripts and chatspams the general chat with ad links

I don't think people like it though

Yet another reason I want to team up with goons.

Sidenote, would you be willing to share those scripts? I'd like to see how they're put together so I can understand a bit more. If not, no worries, just figured I'd ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, somebody explain to me, in dumb, short words, what this is about and whether goons can ruin the game for everybody else and wear sunglasses all the drat time and have names straight out of a Gibson novel.

I've never played any kind of hacking sims so I won't compare it to anything else.

The base premise is that you're an AI. The "tutorial" of the game, is a story of you, as an AI, working with other AIs to escape the vLAN (the tutorial system, which is separated from the community). Once you escape the vLAN you're in the MUD, where everybody is.

You start back at 0, a lovely system with no money. In order to make money you can either hack NPC/NPC Corps, or other players. You can also be hacked. You make money to improve your system which gets you access to more powerful scripts, but also makes you vulnerable to higher level scripts. "Hacking", as far as I've experienced, is pretty straight forward system of puzzles and breaking fairly simple locks, mostly guessing which X out of various possibilities until you break it, at a fast pace because you have X amount of seconds before your hardline disconnects, at which point you just reconnect and start from where you left off.

So, here you are hacking NPC and corps and you can upgrade your system, upgrade your scripts, and also use your money to buy better security for your own system and buy better cracking/hacking scripts to easier crack NPC/other players.

The locks you can buy are all basically crap though, so once you expose yourself (your "loc" in game) your account is essentially dead. You expose yourself/lose all your money by running a player made script accidentally or intentionally. Once they have your loc, they can hack you just like you'd hack an NPC, get through your simple locks and force you to transfer all your money to them. At this point you can't change your loc so once you're exposed you have to just create a new user.

I'm quite new to this and only have attacked NPCs so some or all of this could be inaccurate, and I'm not really sure how it all comes together, but basically what I see is people trying to hack eachother, and they do this by trying to get people to run their scripts, pretending their safe, or using typos (like if you type kernal.hardline instead of kernel.hardline, you'll run a user script which will steal everything from you).

There's also guilds (corps) which have a private chat and can work together to rob everyone. Depending on the different scripts/upgrades you put on your system, you can play a few different roles:

Concerned Citizen posted:

You don't need to be a coder to play (I certainly am not) but it follows the game's basic premise that players will follow an organic class system when they join corporations. Architects are programmers, scavengers who are good puzzle solvers and hack NPCs, infiltrators specialize in PVP-oriented upgrades, and executives are the guys that organize raids. So an executive leads a corporation, the scavengers (who are meant to be the kind of person who is good at solving puzzles and plays ARGs) solves puzzles, and then hands the parameters to the architect to create scripts to break into a target.

You can do anything in the game by buying scripts and doing whatever with them, but the real user/community generated part is creating scripts in JS, which have a 500 char limit, and is where we could collectively probably cause a lot of damage.

This is a very bad overview and I'm waiting for smarter people to start playing the game, as at the moment there's no real guide/overview/explanation of what you can do in the game or the full extent of it, so I think if we can get an SA presence, putting together information about what's possible and how the game works would be the best thing we could do to get ahead and take advantage of all the new players coming in. There's some beta testers who are pretty established who will be hard to attack but there's plenty of pubbies hanging around.

You can also do neat things, like someone already built an in-game messaging system. You can basically trust any script by drt, who has been playing for a while.

As far as the rest of it who knows, but I'd love to group up with some other people, preferably some people who can write javascript well enough, and start putting together real info on the game itself.

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

You got me at rear end in a top hat simulator. :swoon:

So as long as you write your own stuff you're invulnerable?

You can still get caught with typo scripts, and you can check the security level of scripts before running anything. I'm not sure if you can write your own scripts for security. I would imagine it's probably possible but I have no idea how. So, you're never invulnerable but writing your own stuff would make you better at offense surely. You can write scripts to break locks, etc and things to easily dupe people into running them.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

Locks are dev-only, as a balancing measure (it would be easy to write a terrible puzzle that can only be solved by pure brute forcing of each and every argument and there is fun to be had when the dev drops a rare new lock nobody has seen and/or cracked yet).

Ah, yeah that makes sense. So really you should have one user who is your "attack" user for attacking other players, or advertising poo poo scripts, then transfer the money to your other user. That way unless you get hit with the account.loc you should be a bit safer, am I getting that correct?

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Highblood posted:

This intrigues me very much, I wanted to be productive tonight but gently caress that I wanna play whatever this is. Is it worth buying right now or should I wait for things to be sorted out?

The server/lag/connection issues and whatnot appear (at least for the moment/last couple of days) to be sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

So, here's some handy links and info that people have thrown around which may help people get started/make your life easier:

Useful Links
The game Discord, lots of useful information/chat going on there: https://discord.gg/sc6gVse
Soron's Script documentation: http://ethankaminski.com/fanstuff/hackmud/coding-info.html
fullsec script explanations: (dont immediately trust everything in this list, things always change, info always changes, security levels always change, but its a good reference guide): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qHzwx3oQQVW4uy-ojXtqI0tW6gv3zj_6PHsvBURcGpE/edit#gid=0
Some collaboration info on breaking different locks and levels of locks:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qU235L-s6-2banGsNE-9I91jAV4Tzhq5qdZg1acnDLo/edit#gid=431181233
Scripting tutorial for beginners (game specific): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cNms-T_KSFy0F5j1xHXrUZEGd7AM49QEork3KlpGqkc/edit
This reddit thread may also be helpful, it's about basic scripting in the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackmud/comments/54rfhe/is_there_any_example_script_that_is_actually_well/

Game Script Examples
General examples for Hackmud are on soron's Github page: https://github.com/ethankaminski/hackmud_sample_scripts/tree/master/scripts
ada.fullsec source code: http://pastebin.com/pd7xSVr7
Example EZ_40 cracker: http://pastebin.com/Dc11AMfu
Two approaches at T1 multiple lock cracking. http://pastebin.com/BhtSMV80 and http://pastebin.com/raw/BL2kqUMW
Sample Script - http://pastebin.com/ukXPCc4h

To iterate on an array, you can use the forEach function of the Array object:

code:
var array = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
var ouput = ""

array.forEach(x => output += (x + " "))

return {ok:true, msg:output}
code:
Calculating c003 color triads:
colors = ["purple","blue","cyan","green","lime","yellow","orange","red"];
p["c002_complement"] = colors[(cIndex+4)%8];
p["c003_triad_1"] = colors[(cIndex+3)%8];
p["c003_triad_2"] = colors[(cIndex+5)%8];
cIndex being the index of the prime color(edited)
code:
#s.<user>.<scriptname>({<parameters>}); will let you run a sub-script in your script. Here are a few examples of that:
- #s.accts.balance(); // will return the running user's account balance
- #s.scripts.fullsec(); // will return an array of full security script names
- #s.accts.transfer({to:"seanmakesgames", amount:"5KGC"}); // will transfer 5000GC to seanmakesgames from the running user
- #s.anon_2t3t4a.pub_info_32hhef({EZ_21:"unlock"}); // will attempt to unlock a script with the name anon_2t3t4a.pub_info_32hhef and an ez_21 lock
----
var results = #db.f({is_cool:true});
var resultArray = [];
while(results.hasNext())
{
var result = results.next();
resultArray.push({name: result.name, worth: l.to_gc_str(result.worth.valueOf())});
}
return resultArray;
// ---
// the above block of code will return all rows from your db that 'are cool' as an object with its name and its worth in GC string
----
more mongodb queries and stuff can be found here:
[url]http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/method/[/url]
count #db.c(), insert #db.i(), update #db.u(), remove #db.r(), find #db.f(), findAndModify #db.m(), save #db.s()
are all available in code.
Useful In-game Commands.
scripts.trust - list of scripts you can absolutely trust, watch out for making typos.
dtr.man - In game manuals on fullsec scripts that tell you what they do, run with empty parameters to see how to use it. Generally you can trust anything made by dtr, but make sure it's him and written by him.
b.faq - lots and lots of basic information about the game.
/macro - Using /SHORTCODE = command creates a macro, for example: /hl = kernel.hardline will create a macro to open a hardline. /dc = kernel.hardline {dc:true} creates a macro to disconnect a hardline.

Additional Information
-Explore the scripts.fullsec to check out what a lot of the items are. There's a lot of useful info/tools there besides NPCs. Using the harvester is handy but I prefer to grab the list of users from 3-4 npc projects, put the npcs locs in my scratch so I have 20-30 then use angie's breach script to hack them once the hardline is up. I can usually do 10 or so each hardline session, so getting several million takes very little time really.

- Join the goon discord or post here if you're interested in playing, there is definitely strength in numbers and being an organized group and it'll take brain power to fight against the guys that have been doing this a while.

- I feel stupid using codecombat.com too but it does help you learn the basics. That or one of the other many free resources to learn javascript - you can basically learn everything you need to get started in less than a day or two. And the more you practice the better at the game you are and then holy poo poo in a month you walk away having fun and also learning a language so thats fun.

- I was an idiot yesterday after being so careful for three loving days, with all the autocomplete nonsense going on someone faked the :::TRUST COMMUNICATION::: message and I ran a script to reset my autocomples and zzz killed my user so I'm starting out new today. The one loving time I didnt run the script.get_level because I had just woken up. Trust noone! Run nothing! Even if it seems to come from the game itself.

hackermud forum posted:

- Alt-Enter will switch to windowed mode so you can use external editors/web browser without minimizing the game. Super helpful for dual monitor setups with notes/scripts on the other screen.
- Holding Alt when launching (on Windows at least) will allow you to select alternate resolutions. If you're running a high-res device this is pretty essential or else all of your text is gonna be super tiny.
- ESC clears a full line of text in the CLI.
- Take good notes throughout the tutorial vLAN section. You'll thank me later.
- Once through the vLAN, say hi on channel 0000 to all the cool kids and start poking at the results of scripts.FULLSEC to get crackalackin'!
See you on the other side!

edited: formatting and organized

Envy Insanity fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 28, 2016

• Locked thread