Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This game seems like it might appeal to me being a) a day to day C++/C# programmer and b) a lover of Uplink, Snow Crash, and all other things sci fi

However I have a very regrettable tendency to get Mad At Video Games in PvP situations

So a) How avoidable is PvP, or is it entirely the basis of the game; b) how long does it take to get back on your feet if you get deaded; c) when y'all talk about alts on the first page does that mean registering for the game with multiple email addresses or something because that kind of chicanery drives me loving irrationally nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You can actually read other people's scripts before executing them right, or is it a blind faith sort of thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

WaterIsPoison posted:

You are not able to read the source, but there is a dev provided script that will return a script's trust level given what function calls it uses inside the script.

Ahh, interesting

Is said security checker recursive or do you have to pray there's not some double blind callback bullshit going on

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I already can't work out how to proceed on the 'helpdesk password' part of the tutorial :saddowns:

(ed) ha, nevermind, random guessing wins the day eventually!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

aaaaaaaand my eyes hurt. is there any way to bolster the font size on this fuckin thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got out of the vlan! yay!!

... uh what now (besides leaving 0000 because holy hell)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

do NPC locs change between lock rotations?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ew. How's a newbie supposed to get started if all the T1s are harvested immediately? :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mindblast posted:

After loving about looking for a while figuring out how to split and rearrange text into arrays I find out that those npc lists are already arrays for starters. :downs:

Guess I'll hit mongodb next for funsies!

I found that some were arrays and some were strings separated by '\n' which is really loving annoying

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man and here I've been working on scripts to decode QRs. Should have been working on something like that so I can advance first.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

At work but a Reddit thread seems to mention T1s have changed somehow to be more reachable/palatable? Something about harvested NPC locs no longer showing up or having some marker to indicate that they're harvested/gone already.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 3, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, now I've got a good reason to write scripts for myself to harvest and crack T1s rather than flub about with T2s and QRs on an unupgraded user.

(Yes I know there's plenty of scripts already public for T1 but loving lol if I trust any of them)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also I'm now feeling like I should retire at least one, if not both, of my current user names because they're x_01 and x_02 so uh whoops, pretty obvious association if anyone feels like looking for me and wondering where the cash is :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

Your paranoia is generally commendable, but misguided. A fullsec script can only do you harm if 1) you pass it a scriptor to a non-fullsec script or 2) it makes you say dumb stuff in chat. If a cracker says it's fullsec, the worst it can do is make you blab advertisements, and I've never seen one that does.

dbrickshaw's cracker is open source - if you call into it with no arguments it'll give you a pastebin link to source you can use to make your own.

Scrapers appear to be a harder problem, and I can't figure how one would work, given that the different directories all have slightly different parameters. I guess some of it is spammable...

Once you have both of those, you can write a "glue" script to crack the passed-in scriptor, then scrape a new scriptor, then return a copy-and-pastable script call to start over. There is no way for a script to take the name of a script, as a string, and call that script. This would make it pretty easy to violate the earlier security model, and would also make it possible to automate scraping and cracking. Instead, we rely on the user copy-and-pasting with a scriptor we format for them.

Yeah, I figured out that bolded rule after an hour of frustration this weekend :v:. Makes sense why it's set up that way though, from a gameplay perspective.

I'm guessing you can't pass in the names of parameters, or take the name of a parameter as a string and use that as a parameter (same as the name of a script), right? e.g.
code:
var argname = "browse";
#s.npc.public({ argname: "order_qrs"});
So I guess any harvest script has to brute force those, or grep out the parameter names via the usual manual steps... but then you run into the 'can't turn a string into a scriptor' problem again.

Hm.

(ed) If only this were C# or another .NET-supporting language, I could bust out some sick System.Reflection nonsense and run this loving place in two, three days tops :getin:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 4, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

By the way, has anyone figured out yet what the different security levels of scripts represent?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

You can put together an object and then pass it to the script.

code:
var c = args.command;
var n = args.username;
var p = {};
p["username"] = n;
p[c] = "order_qrs";

#s.npc.public(p);
I'm a bad coder and haven't dealt with javascript in a long time so there is probably a better/more right way to do this.

Bleh, that makes perfect sense. Funny, I can understand System.Reflection and things like that nearly intuitively but something simple like JSON and parameter passing in JavaScript eludes me.

Just practice, I know, but still, :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

Javascript is a hideously permissive language. Dictionaries, classes, and associative arrays are all the same thing and can be used interchangeably. If foo.bar = 3, then foo["bar"] = 3 as well, guaranteed. It's psycho - but handy.

Yeah, Lua does the same thing where Everything Is A Table, and I used to work with that so I'll adapt quickly now that I see what's going on.

Looking forward to writing some stuff tonight.

• Locked thread