Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, I have spent half an hour stuck in the tutorial because f1rST is not the same as F1rST. I expect I'll be good at this game.
I looked up what passwords "blue" would hint at. Don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I was in the middle of writing a script that spams transactions for easier t2 hacking and when I got back onto my hacker alt, I had this awaiting me:
Received 408K886GC from unknown_8mo4q2 : bunnybat vaccination
I hadn't hacked in about 20 minutes. Why the heck am I receiving this?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Reverence posted:

So is there any way to actually find NPCs that haven't been breached or do i just need to be faster?
Learn to do T2s from the discord. It's the only thing that's kept me in the game.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I finally got hacked... but I don't know how. Here's what went down.

I hacked through one t2 system and nabbed a transfer_v1 script. I was interested in seeing if I could use it on my alt account to speed up the process of dealing with glocks (by pulling from my bank instead of swapping over and pushing from my bank mid-hack) but you have to hardline breach your own account. So I did just that and tried to use the script only to find that it was saying I had no money. Swap back over to my breached bank and fbi had stolen all 110M of my GC. No big deal, I thankfully didn't acquire all of that over a long amount of time and I knew I was bound to fumble somewhere. However, I simply must know... how did he grab it? Being in a breached state doesn't suddenly mean everyone knows my .loc, right? I've been paranoid enough to never run anything that wasn't NPC, ada, or dtr. I've even checked systems I've breached to ensure they weren't still around in a breached state after I hacked them, that includes the t2 system I hacked tonight. So how did fbi manage to take my whole bank the second I breached myself? What am I missing?

Oh yeah, important information that I failed to explain: I don't hack with my bank account, so my bank account's .loc shouldn't be anywhere, as it doesn't run scripts. Reading though my logs I still can't figure out how fbi broke my bank. I'd understand if they managed to hack my hacking account, looked at the xfer logs, and saw me using the transfer_v1 script on myself, except the transactions never worked because the breached system was already empty and the hacking account hasn't been breached. This is a mystery to me.

Edit: fbi replied to my hmail. Turns out expose_access_log doesn't require a .loc, only a breached name. fbi crawls a nice long list of 0000 chatters and waits for them to get breached, reads the logs to find the locs, and takes your poo poo. So while the game doesn't provide any virtualized environment to test attack scripts, you're effectively going to go broke in under a minute by a crawler. Enjoy.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 6, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

Never

Breach

Your

Bank
Actually it would be perfectly fine to do so if 1: There wasn't someone crawling the active user list they built just to check for breaches and 2: expose_logs actually required a .loc to work or 3: The game had a virtualization option to let you test out attack scripts without worrying about said crawler. I was hacked by a perfect storm of excessively active enemy, inadequate knowledge, and pure inability to safely perform a test. I don't mind the hack, I just wish one of these 3 things was "fixed." Preferably #3 since I don't so much mind #1 or #2.

Butt Discussin posted:

Also, apparently, never chat in an in game channel.
This doesn't matter since escaping vLan auto-joins you to 0000 where your name can get logged immediately.
Edit: In fact someone has a bot scanning for new users this way and messages you a welcome. First proof that crawling and scanning is easy to do in this game.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 7, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ruggan posted:

With a single regex find and replace in Notepad++ you can remove every single color tag. It's about the only reasonable way to go about things.
Also, FYI, the regex is: <(.*?)>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

pixaal posted:

Did we get dtr's loc?
Pretty sure he let's it sit publicly in the loc list bot because he has enough defenses not to worry about it.

30.5 Days posted:

The best part of today is when a group of self-absorbed players who thought they had the developer's ear demanded he "do something" about automation, because it had been used to hack them. He said no.
Y'know, when I complained about an automated hack hitting me, I didn't actually ask Sean to block it or make it go away or ban the user who did it. I asked for a way of testing my scripts that didn't require me to open up my own alts. I feel kinda validated knowing dtr can't even handle being hacked but lowly ol' me with my stolen 100M can understand.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 23, 2016

• Locked thread