Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This was a great season finale and probably the best episode of the season. Anyone know what the song is that plays as Lip tells the audience to come back next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Great finale. Favorite part was when Kevin held up Neil so he could feel like a man while pissing, lmao.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

William H. Macy is a loving treasure.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Loved that Fiona's most vicious line to Monica's corpse was also the only one where she called her “Mom". And yes, everyone bright their A-game here, even the smaller roles.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BreakAtmo posted:

Loved that Fiona's most vicious line to Monica's corpse was also the only one where she called her “Mom". And yes, everyone bright their A-game here, even the smaller roles.

Agreed, that line stuck out in the best way possible.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I wonder how often funeral directors have to deal with the whole "I'm glad my neglectful parent is dead but I will still pay for a marked grave." Bojack Horseman kind of covered that territory too in season 1.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

I wonder how often funeral directors have to deal with the whole "I'm glad my neglectful parent is dead but I will still pay for a marked grave." Bojack Horseman kind of covered that territory too in season 1.

Six Feet Under had a couple of those I think.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It didn't really feel like the season built to that finale at all, but it was a good end either way and definitely filmed like a series finale.

I'm glad the series decided to give the characters their drama in the mid 1/3rd and then left the back 1/3rd to be about them dealing with the fallout. It's much better overall than their typical method of just ramping up the drama until a huge shitstorm in the finale.

I was happy that none of my predictions came true although the Monica death arc felt like something they've been sitting on since Season 3 at least.

Good acting by Macy, overall sharp writing. I could have used another 2-3 minutes on the scenes with Fiona and Frank because I felt like just as Emmy starting hitting her groove the scene ended.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That was a great episode and a drat solid season of Shameless. Awesome stuff. I got super teary a couple of times throughout all that.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
This show just gets better and better every episode that Joan Cusak is gone.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

This show just gets better and better every episode that Joan Cusak is gone.

WRONG

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished Season 5. That season was easily the weakest so far. Too many different stories that barely connected, Fiona going from having a character arc to a zigzag, Frank going to Costa Rica for half the season (seriously, the dying doctor thing wasn't awful but it went some weird places). Oh and Deb is just awful.

Hope next season picks things up a bit.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished Season 5. That season was easily the weakest so far. Too many different stories that barely connected, Fiona going from having a character arc to a zigzag, Frank going to Costa Rica for half the season (seriously, the dying doctor thing wasn't awful but it went some weird places). Oh and Deb is just awful.

Hope next season picks things up a bit.

Season 6 is better and Season 7, which just ended, was pretty drat good from start to finish.

e: The worst part of S6 is that we're promised Jeffrey Dean Morgan and given Dermot Mulroney.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 28, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Season 6 is better and Season 7, which just ended, was pretty drat good from start to finish.

e: The worst part of S6 is that we're promised Jeffrey Dean Morgan and given Dermot Mulroney.

Why did that end up how it did?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finished marathoning the show after someone kept recommending it to me. It was a fun ride.

• There were so many times that a character betrayed someone horribly and wound up in jail, only for the person they betrayed to pay their bail. I got the sense that the writers wanted it to be an act of ultimate forgiveness and trust on the betrayed's part, but it happened so often that it felt like a running gag.
  • It's easy to spot a new love interest for Fiona a mile away. Are they male, about her age, and even slightly attractive? They gonna bang. This is par for the course in TV shows, but I liked how it happened to Ian as well. I can't think of many shows where that parallel happens.
  • I got sick of Jimmy real quick. The mob poo poo was garbage and didn't fit the show.
  • It's a little uncomfortable how casually the show treats grown adults wanting to have sex with underage kids. And then has an episode where they run the hot teacher out of town, when Ian had the same situation since episode one with the store manager. There's a couple of strange inconsistencies like that, such as Ian suddenly thinking bisexuality is a turn-off when he knew Mickey was all along.
  • Kev and Veronica are the best. I don't want a spinoff, because I think we'd all be loving sick of their increasingly cartoony antics if they weren't balanced out against the dark humor of the Gallaghers. If you take just their scenes, they pretty much are a spinoff, because they barely interact with the Gallaghers anymore. Kev is still my favorite character.
  • Debbie is the true worst character in the show, ignoring Frank who is mostly comic relief, emphasis on the comic at this point. She makes poor decisions and never learns from them, only has an entitlement complex when she's caught and then digs the hole she's in deeper. She's actually the one most likely to wind up like Monica and/or Frank. I feel like the point of the show is how each character is doing their best to break away from the cycle of poverty and bad decisions that runs in their family, while being dragged down by that family, their own questionable morals, and society keeping them down because they're from a poor area. Debbie was the "good girl" in the beginning, so I think that her gradual downfall into someone reprehensible is intentional. Everyone else takes turns being The Worst, but sooner or later they bounce back. Like I said, Debbie started out with nowhere to go but down.
  • The shift from seasons 1-3 to 5-7 is really noticeable. Season 4 is kind of a stepping stone. The original supporting cast all moves on, even if there's some guest appearances later. Every supporting character introduced from then on is introduced with the knowledge that they're just a plot device to be phased out within a couple of episodes, where the season 1-3 characters had long-lasting presence and felt deeper because there were many plot threads associated with them instead of just one. It was like once Shameless showed that characters were disposable, it became me waiting for the shoe to drop and a character to peace-out forever. The scope of the show kind of changed once it stopped revolving around the house, which was inevitable as the kids all grew up.
  • Of course I get into the show right as a season ended, so now I need to wait until Fall 2017/Winter 2018 for a new season. :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's true how the feel of the show has shifted, and I wish they'd veer slightly back towards drama that absurdist comedy situations. I also miss Sheila. It is nice though that other characters have been given space to develop, like carl, who gradually became my favourite character as the show progressed.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

BJPaskoff posted:

I.[*] Debbie is the true worst character in the show, ignoring Frank who is mostly comic relief, emphasis on the comic at this point. She makes poor decisions and never learns from them, only has an entitlement complex when she's caught and then digs the hole she's in deeper. She's actually the one most likely to wind up like Monica and/or Frank. I feel like the point of the show is how each character is doing their best to break away from the cycle of poverty and bad decisions that runs in their family, while being dragged down by that family, their own questionable morals, and society keeping them down because they're from a poor area. Debbie was the "good girl" in the beginning, so I think that her gradual downfall into someone reprehensible is intentional. Everyone else takes turns being The Worst, but sooner or later they bounce back. Like I said, Debbie started out with nowhere to go but down

I HATE Debbie. I mean, I guess that I hate her so much that they've done a good job of making her the perfect example of white-trash "figurin'"/ She's hosed herself FOR LIFE already and she sucks so bad, and does the most annoying and dumbass thing possible at every turn. I want to throw whatever I'm eating at the TV whenever she's on. Maybe that's good writing, to make me despise a television character so much that I feel like I could stand to lose half a taco or a chicken wing. :black101:

I really enjoyed Fiona trying to do something at all other than marrying every old rear end crackhead in view for two seasons. Someone made a joke earlier about dudes with the same whitey name, but there's a fantastic sketch on SNL about a Dylan McDermott or Dermott Mulroney gameshow, which still makes me laugh my rear end off. Wow! Is there is no version of that on youtube without a horrifying narration that ruins the entire thing. Why would SNL block a good sketch?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dylan-mcdermott-or-dermot-mulroney/n30750?snl=1

I think I found one. But it's from NBC, slow as hell, skips a lot and has advertisements. GO NBC!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

Every supporting character introduced from then on is introduced with the knowledge that they're just a plot device to be phased out within a couple of episodes, where the season 1-3 characters had long-lasting presence and felt deeper because there were many plot threads associated with them instead of just one.

Svetlana?

I agree, Debbie is the worst, and it sucks cause she was one of my favourite characters back in seasons 1 and 2. I loved the idea of youngest (main) kid going about making more money than everyone, running scams and being a genius and then turning into....whatever we have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Svetlana?

I agree, Debbie is the worst, and it sucks cause she was one of my favourite characters back in seasons 1 and 2. I loved the idea of youngest (main) kid going about making more money than everyone, running scams and being a genius and then turning into....whatever we have now.

Oh yeah, I hope we haven't had the last of Svetlana. The betrayal doesn't seem totally in-character, but not out-of-character either, so we'll see what happens in season 8. Maybe her contract was up and they're deciding what to do with the character? I'm going to miss the bar patrons most of all. Not Kermit, but the other guy.

I don't think Debbie would be so annoying if the show pointed out how she's fallen so far yet still hasn't hit rock bottom instead of having the Gallagher luck of having the stars align for her. At least when the other characters get bailed out, they realize how much they hosed up.

• Locked thread