Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
All things considered, Fiona was actually doing the right thing arranging for the old lady to be put into a home. She was well past the stage of being able to care for herself, and it seemed like she had no relatives to make the decision for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, lovely as the decision may feel it was the right one for everyone involved. Fiona pays off the loan, saves the house from being claimed, makes a sick profit and the old lady goes somewhere people can keep a real eye on her.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on the laundromat plot. Fiona netting a cool 190k seems too positive for the semi-realistic world of Shameless. A blood price's gotta be paid somehow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Probably end up blowing it to get Ian out of something dumb, or maybe get the bar back from Lana. I'm sure she'll have it all spent or claimed by end of season.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Or frank does something when he finds out about it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could def see Frank and Monica jacking it to spend most of it, then give 5k each back for her death fund or some poo poo.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I think Fiona's smart enough to keep it in a bank.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, most likely. I just wouldn't put it past the show to have Frank and Monica catch wind of it and have something ridiculous go down where they end up with the cash. I think it's more likely she has to use it to bail a family member out of something, or getting the bar back to Kev and V-- or for the three of them to own it. Wouldn't be overly shocked if she dumped it on another lovely investment, but maybe she'll invest in The Alibi instead.

Maybe the show will surprise us all and she'll still have it next year.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Alibi investment sounds like a sound idea but Svetlana is smarter then all three of them so probably not.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nooneofconsequence posted:

I think Fiona's smart enough to keep it in a bank.

Monica will show up to the bank and claim to be Fiona and they will ask for an ID and Frank will go on a rant and they will give them the money because it's Shameless

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Holyshoot posted:

Alibi investment sounds like a sound idea but Svetlana is smarter then all three of them so probably not.

Yeah, the only way I could see her budging is if Fiona offered her the full 190k, leaving the loan on the house unpaid for now. Even then, whether Svetlana cares about Kev and V or is straight playing them, I imagine she'd still prefer keeping the job and roof over her head.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Monica will show up to the bank and claim to be Fiona and they will ask for an ID and Frank will go on a rant and they will give them the money because it's Shameless

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What happened to that internship that lips professor got him after he failed to get back into college? Did they seriously just drop it without any further comment? So instead of going to the paying internship lip continues to work at the diner and drink? I'm not surprised by the stupid decision but it seems strange not to even have a line about deciding not to do it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nickmeister posted:

What happened to that internship that lips professor got him after he failed to get back into college? Did they seriously just drop it without any further comment? So instead of going to the paying internship lip continues to work at the diner and drink? I'm not surprised by the stupid decision but it seems strange not to even have a line about deciding not to do it.

Yea they dropped it, there was a scene where he woke up, saw a billion missed calls/texts on his phone about missing the interview and grabbed a bottle instead of calling back. Pretty realistic behavior, unfortunately.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yea they dropped it, there was a scene where he woke up, saw a billion missed calls/texts on his phone about missing the interview and grabbed a bottle instead of calling back. Pretty realistic behavior, unfortunately.

It was at like 6am to meaning the interview was at what 5am?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Yup - the Prof warned him that "those Wallstreet boys have a different schedule" or something like that IIRC

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh that was fast must have missed it. They've already has lip hit rock bottom wouldn't it be more interesting if he I don't know did something?

socialsecurity posted:

maybe it was the next day?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
He went to AA on his own accord, which is a huge step.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Emmy Rossum may (imo, justifiably) hold up production of another season if she's not paid more than Macy (or they might just kill her off):
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/shameless-emma-rossum-equal-pay-1201756281/

Both characters are pretty key to the show but I think Emmy Rossum's done more heavy lifting in terms of character development over time. That's at least partially on the writers though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah that seems fair to me. Frank at this point kind of has his own side stories every season, they could actually remove him without derailing things (although the show would obviously take a hit for it). Fiona is basically the main character and emotional core of the show. Doing it without her would be impossible in my opinion.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised she hasn't been making as much as him for at least the past couple seasons, honestly. I love Macy but she's been the show's anchor since the beginning. You could take out pretty much any other character and it would suck, but the show would move on. I don't see how things would work without Fiona, though.

MrTpug
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly I hope we never see Ian or Carl again. I want someone to have a happy ending in this show. Be it Carl succeeding in Military School and making something of himself AND/OR Ian & Mickey living happily ever after in Mexico. Just give me one of them. (Not holding my breath simply because I've been paying attention for 7 seasons)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

It's actually kinda bullshit that Rossum wasn't getting paid for her role. Fiona is the main character in pretty much everyone's minds and I think the only times Macy had more screentime was like, Seasons 1 and 2. I hope she gets what she's due.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The next episode preview showed Ian, so I don't think his adventures with Mixkey are going to last too long.

Carl can keep going to military school and still come home for summer vacation.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

It's actually kinda bullshit that Rossum wasn't getting paid for her role. Fiona is the main character in pretty much everyone's minds and I think the only times Macy had more screentime was like, Seasons 1 and 2. I hope she gets what she's due.

Agreed. They initially built the show around him, and he deserved the higher pay at the start, but Fiona is really the show's center and Emmy Rossum brings it to the role, no matter what I think of the show's direction. He may get the recognition, but his award nods have really been based on him being William H. Macy, not because his Shameless work is particularly exciting or new. Who is watching for Frank at this point? If they really based this on who is making money for Showtime, Emmy is the bigger draw and has been for multiple seasons.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I was surprised about the pay. Understand it early on because she was somewhat unknown and Macy was the big name they could pitch the show with. But I'd argue she's probably a bigger star at the moment in Hollywood and has a much bigger role on the show. I actually thought a few years ago she might bolt to just do movies.

The show could move on fine without Frank but it wouldn't be able to continue without Fiona.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I dunno. Considering how they're not willing to let anyone succeed on a meaningful level frank makes living in the gutter more interesting than a character like lip does.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just on the amount of shameless exploitation of her insanely hot body should put her on the top spot but Fiona is by far the most important character in the show either way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Every article I've read has said the crew and network haven't even considered going forward without Fiona, so it seems either she gets the raise (they already offered her the same deal Macy was offered, she's just trying to negotiate more atm) or the show ends, I'd imagine.

So hopefully she gets a little extra kicked into her contract or this season has a half decent ending.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Frank should have died in season 4, even though his "I'm alive!" scene at Lake Michigan in the S4 finale is my favorite Shameless scene ever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I was surprised about the pay. Understand it early on because she was somewhat unknown and Macy was the big name they could pitch the show with. But I'd argue she's probably a bigger star at the moment in Hollywood and has a much bigger role on the show. I actually thought a few years ago she might bolt to just do movies.

The show could move on fine without Frank but it wouldn't be able to continue without Fiona.

Somewhat unknown! She was Bulma!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Somewhat unknown! She was Bulma!

Phantom of the Opera was her big break before Shameless.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That was a drat good episode. Kev continues to be the best, Lip is making real progress, Ian did the right thing, and the ending montage was good but very :(

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah and she has a beautiful voice

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Man was that adaptation bad.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm glad Shameless is willing to have the characters do lovely things since it's more realistic, but Fiona really screwed over Etta. That was depressing. Really good episode in a great season so far. I don't completely understand how this show attracts as much criticism as it does when it always consistently entertains me.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Etta is a senile, cat food eating mess. She's the exact kind of person who needs 24-hour care.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

Etta is a senile, cat food eating mess. She's the exact kind of person who needs 24-hour care.
Not necessarily disagreeing, but it's undeniably sad.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure my dad & his siblings hated themselves for a while after putting my grandma in assisted living. It was the right decision for everyone, but it was extremely difficult, especially when she'd get lucid and start panicking about going back home :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Even if you consider it exclusively from the perspective of Etta's best interests it's still 100% the correct thing to do, as sad as it seems.

I'm going to be supremely pissed off if Emmy Rossum causes this show to be cancelled because she's too greedy to settle for equal pay with Macy.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 12, 2016

• Locked thread