Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been enjoying this season, and while Fiona is being a bitch about it, she has several points about what she's sacrificed to help the family and that maybe Lip should take a turn. It's also a breath of freah air to be four episodes in and have her plotline have zero to do with boy troubles. She may be a pretty awful person, but the character has always been consistent to me and Emmy Rossum being talented as gently caress has helped in keeping her believable to me from day one.

Debbie is the worst, like so bad I can't even put in the effort to be disappointed in where her character went, even if some of it made sense to me. Carl continues to get better each year. Lip I am honestly most tired of. Ian's character has been floundering for a while, especially since Mickey left, and I still don't think Monaghan can act. Frank is Frank.

Svetlana is the best.

Also, I really appreciate Emmy Rossum's new and improved Bulma hair.

e: also i guess fiona's storyline still has stuff to do w/ relationship troubles w/r/t throwing herself into work to avoid not only her family but the whole sean thing, but you know what I mean

esperterra fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

EVIL NOONER posted:

She is toxic and pathetic.

I don't disagree with this at all. I wasn't saying she had any excuse or that she's going about it the right way, just that she's got a point about everyone being old enough to pull some weight.

Tho I do think Lip needs to help out more, whether she's the legal guardian or not. Especially now that he isn't in school any more. It would be another matter if he was planning on going back. Her taking that responsibility is a big deal, but it was also a desperation move to keep everyone out of foster care way back when. Girl needs some space and and a break, and (I think) deserves it, but she's doing it in grand Gallagher fashion instead of asking nicely. How pathetic and messed up Fiona is is one of the best things about the character imo.

Svetlana needs more and more screentime forever.

e: words kept appearing even when i was done

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 25, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Huh, reading the thread i surprised people are so anti-fiona in this. She essentially gave up her life to take care of the kids. She dropped out of school where its hinted that while she wasn't Lip level genious was reasonably smart and may have been able to get a track scholarship as well.

She's always rebelled against the way her life turned out, previously with bad relationship choices and drugs, but now she's taking charge in what she sees at the best possible direction. Granted, she's still kind of an awful and breaking all sorts of laws in running her business, but i still see it as a step in the right direction.

Also how old is debbie and how old is fiona when she had to drop everything? those two ages must be reasonably close. Fiona must have a huge subconscious axe to grind when she gave up everything at Debbies age.

Lastly, Lip is at the cusp of greatness for sure. But he's been at the cusp of greatness for several seasons now. Fiona's cut him slack for his entire life and all he's done with it is become an alcoholic, college dropout working an internship for free in her eyes. I'm totally okay with her going, "me first" for once.

Fi's the best part of the show for me, other than Svetlana, Kev, V and Carl. It always surprises me when people complain in the thread about her, too-- tho I can understand being tired of her stories usually revolving around how bad she is at relationships. It doesn't bother me personally, but I get it.

100% on board with her being 'me first', though I'm sure the way she's going about it will blow up spectacularily in her face.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Besides, tough love is tough love. Fiona hasn't actually evicted anybody yet-- she's just used it as a kick in the rear end to get Debbie to grow up and find a job.

If she actually tosses her out when the time runs out, then you can bitch about it. But it wouldn't be the first or last time a pregnant teen/teen mom has been kicked out of her home by her legal guardian, tv show or real life.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arguably one of Showtime's most consistent, really. Almost all of their shows nosedive after season 2 or 3, and Shameless has arguably done some of its best work after that cutoff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fiona cashed it for her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's scamming them. Svetlana's the best.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, lovely as the decision may feel it was the right one for everyone involved. Fiona pays off the loan, saves the house from being claimed, makes a sick profit and the old lady goes somewhere people can keep a real eye on her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Probably end up blowing it to get Ian out of something dumb, or maybe get the bar back from Lana. I'm sure she'll have it all spent or claimed by end of season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could def see Frank and Monica jacking it to spend most of it, then give 5k each back for her death fund or some poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, most likely. I just wouldn't put it past the show to have Frank and Monica catch wind of it and have something ridiculous go down where they end up with the cash. I think it's more likely she has to use it to bail a family member out of something, or getting the bar back to Kev and V-- or for the three of them to own it. Wouldn't be overly shocked if she dumped it on another lovely investment, but maybe she'll invest in The Alibi instead.

Maybe the show will surprise us all and she'll still have it next year.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Holyshoot posted:

Alibi investment sounds like a sound idea but Svetlana is smarter then all three of them so probably not.

Yeah, the only way I could see her budging is if Fiona offered her the full 190k, leaving the loan on the house unpaid for now. Even then, whether Svetlana cares about Kev and V or is straight playing them, I imagine she'd still prefer keeping the job and roof over her head.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Every article I've read has said the crew and network haven't even considered going forward without Fiona, so it seems either she gets the raise (they already offered her the same deal Macy was offered, she's just trying to negotiate more atm) or the show ends, I'd imagine.

So hopefully she gets a little extra kicked into her contract or this season has a half decent ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The way I understand it (and people w/ more knowledge feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), when actors sign for a television show more often than not the main players typically sign on for a seven year contract. Maybe The Lord Bude worded it a little agressively or whatever, but I pretty much agree with like all of his points.

Emmy Rossum was not at all very famous when she first signed on for this show, I've always been a fan of hers but really her biggest movies are The Day After Tomorrow and the Lloyd Webber directed Phantom adaptation. Macy is an incredibly famous actor. Guy's been acting consistently since before Rossum was born. So anyway, if they go ahead with a season eight new contracts need to be drawn up. It's been reported that Rossum was offered the same deal as Macy months ago, before the stories starting breaking about her asking for more. I have no problem with her asking for more, it's entirely within her rights for her and her agent to try and get more money if she thinks she deserves more money-- she's basically been the lead with the most focus since day one, if you think about it. I wouldn't mind at all if she was paid more, or if Allen White was paid the same as or more than Macy for seasons going forward. However I don't think it's unfair for everybody (assuming the other siblings who have come front and center in the past few seasons were offered the same or reasonably matched deals) to just be paid the same. It's an ensemble show and imho that's the fairest way this plays out for everybody involved.

If Showtime doesn't bend to her, she's free to sign the original deal if she's still passionate about the show and wants to stay on. I'd hope she does this, and no disrespect against her whatsoever but I would be a little pissed if she bailed on the show just because they didn't pay her more, if only because if don't cancel it in that situation, Shameless without Fiona would be really weird and I don't think I'd watch it very long. I say 'a little pissed' because it would suck for the crew and other actors to lose out on jobs I imagine most of them want to keep, all over Rossum refusing the original deal if not offered more. But then again shows end all the time for all sorts of dumb rear end reasons, so it's really no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 13, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GobiasIndustries posted:

:woop: Glad we're not getting a series finale this Sunday.

Agreed 100%, though if it had to end this year it's a great season to do it on. Everyone has or is getting their poo poo together, hell even Frank may get less of a hard time from the kids for a while. I'm sure half of that will fall apart in the finale, but y'know. Maybe they'll end on a high note this year and let poo poo fall apart next.

But I'm more than happy to get more seasons. Hopefully they can keep the quality up!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It already broke the seasons three and four curses, so our odds are good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Holyshoot posted:

Dexter wasn't that bad iirc in season 3 and 4. It fell off the rails after the john lithgow season.

I mean the curse of most Showtime shows only being good up through the third or fourth season. They typically go bad after that, or at least take a hefty nosedive in quality.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

w/r/t Dexter I'm of the mind season three was fine, if a little on the boring side. Still miles ahead of 5-onward. Season four was excellent, but I do think a lot of it was indeed propped up by Lithgow, Hall and Carpenter's performances in many ways. It has some of the issues the later seasons do, but not as bad as when the new showrunner took over with his complete misunderstanding of who Dexter is and what the show was about.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

William H. Macy is a loving treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BreakAtmo posted:

Loved that Fiona's most vicious line to Monica's corpse was also the only one where she called her “Mom". And yes, everyone bright their A-game here, even the smaller roles.

Agreed, that line stuck out in the best way possible.

• Locked thread