Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fututor Magnus posted:

Maybe take a look at any MoonMan "parody" song and come back to me on whether the alt-right is any better than the establishment right.

The alt-right really has this weird thing about them where they swear up and down that conservative people make "true art" and stinky liberals make doo doo art that is for degenerate pedophiles, and yet every time someone aligned with the alt-right makes something, it's the most embarrassing poo poo, like making YouTube rap songs in which Microsoft Sam raps about killing black people over a picture of the Moon Man from the Mac Tonight commercials shooting black people, the entirety of the book "The Gorilla Mindset", this gem of a video in which stolen art from Shadow of the Colossus and Attack on Titan tries to and fails to defeat a villainous Karl Marx, and other various turds. gently caress, I talked with one of those twerps and he swore up and down that video game concept art is the true heir to the Renaissance and that all modern art is on par with that one video where a lady smears Spaghetti-O's on her vagina and talks in babble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SunAndSpring posted:

The alt-right really has this weird thing about them where they swear up and down that conservative people make "true art" and stinky liberals make doo doo art that is for degenerate pedophiles, and yet every time someone aligned with the alt-right makes something, it's the most embarrassing poo poo, like making YouTube rap songs in which Microsoft Sam raps about killing black people over a picture of the Moon Man from the Mac Tonight commercials shooting black people, the entirety of the book "The Gorilla Mindset", this gem of a video in which stolen art from Shadow of the Colossus and Attack on Titan tries to and fails to defeat a villainous Karl Marx, and other various turds. gently caress, I talked with one of those twerps and he swore up and down that video game concept art is the true heir to the Renaissance and that all modern art is on par with that one video where a lady smears Spaghetti-O's on her vagina and talks in babble.

Same thing has been happening in SF&F. Bunch of alt-right whackos have been trying to take over the Hugo Awards via targeted voting and it just turned into poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The alt-right is bizarre in that they try to play themselves up as ambitious youngsters who are the true progressives but want to take America back to the 19th century. I find it absolutely confusing that they're so gung-ho for "economic freedom" when what they're advocating was utterly disastrous when it actually existed. Meanwhile they screech about freedom of speech being sacred but tell black protesters to shut the gently caress up and stop inconveniencing everybody with their "doing things visible things while black" crimes.

Alt-right makes them sound like they're some kind of alternative to American right wing politics but really they're the same thing wrapped in a different package. Instead of wrapping it in religion they wrap it in some vague definition of freedom.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

They've got a long way to go before they match the death toll of our establishment right.

Like, our currently elected, "rape camps for profit" "get the disabled to kill themselves to avoid paying to support them" right.

If Trump is elected I bet their cannidates will be seen marching to power across Europe and they'll make a death toll in Western Europe unequeled in 70 years. I suspect my country after it exterminates our own Alt right and with a dictator will this time have to eliminate the European nation state this time.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The alt-right is bizarre in that they try to play themselves up as ambitious youngsters who are the true progressives but want to take America back to the 19th century. I find it absolutely confusing that they're so gung-ho for "economic freedom" when what they're advocating was utterly disastrous when it actually existed. Meanwhile they screech about freedom of speech being sacred but tell black protesters to shut the gently caress up and stop inconveniencing everybody with their "doing things visible things while black" crimes.

Alt-right makes them sound like they're some kind of alternative to American right wing politics but really they're the same thing wrapped in a different package. Instead of wrapping it in religion they wrap it in some vague definition of freedom.
They are only for freedom if you're part of a poorly defined group that is white male American. If you;re not you're to be their slaves. I would prefer to put them in temporary slavery say five to ten years so they can come to learn how much they should have appreciated their positions originally.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you all think that the alt-right might become more powerful and influential over the years, or will they become less powerful than they already are?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blue Star posted:

Do you all think that the alt-right might become more powerful and influential over the years, or will they become less powerful than they already are?

Less powerful; they're extremely white overall and "white person" is just going to be another minority in a nation of minorities before long.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Star posted:

If Trump is elected more powerful, at least until a coup happens and then they are exterminated.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

After Trump loses the election, they'll scatter like cockroaches when the lights are turned on. They'll return to their echo-chamber websites and share conspiracy theories about how the election was fixed.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blue Star posted:

More in that, the "alt-right" just becomes "the right" in a few decades. They are the future of the Republican party.

In terms of actual power, that depends on how the next couple Presidential elections go.

Epitome of Macho
Jan 9, 2006
Insert title text here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Less powerful; they're extremely white overall and "white person" is just going to be another minority in a nation of minorities before long.

Good riddance to the scum that is the white race.

Epitome of Macho
Jan 9, 2006
Insert title text here.

on the left posted:

Yes, that's exactly the kind of line you pull out when you want to use social justice activism as an excuse for abusive behavior.

Good job bringing up social justice as some sort of bogey man. Why don't you tell me about cultural Marxism while you're at it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Because unlike you I know some people who have raised children as single parents and they say they would prefer to have someone to help them raise their children. Also there are those studies suggesting children brought up in families that are stable do better.

http://www.clasp.org/resources-and-publications/states/0086.pdf

Look I am sorry that your liberal ideal is challenged by actual facts. Also yes parents should sacrifice some of their happiness to the development of their children, its called responsibility. Now of course a government can best promote stable relationships by ensuring that people can live without insecurity in their lives through economic initiatives but to suggest that we shouldn't expect parents to be responsible is rather hilarious.

The brief you linked says the findings are only for low-conflict marriages, and goes on to say that children of parents in unhappy marriages do better when their parents divorce.

Telling people they should sacrifice their happiness and remain in unhappy marriages out of obligation to their children is not the correct conclusion to draw from what you've linked here.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Furthermore it also goes to show that families where one parent dies are better off than if they go through a divorce.

It's almost as if animosity between parents is a huge contributing factor to worse outcomes for kids. Like, maybe a loveless marriage.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Crowsbeak posted:

If Trump is elected I bet their cannidates will be seen marching to power across Europe and they'll make a death toll in Western Europe unequeled in 70 years. I suspect my country after it exterminates our own Alt right and with a dictator will this time have to eliminate the European nation state this time.

They are only for freedom if you're part of a poorly defined group that is white male American. If you;re not you're to be their slaves. I would prefer to put them in temporary slavery say five to ten years so they can come to learn how much they should have appreciated their positions originally.

Why stop there? I mean as long as you're generating so much breathless pearl clutching, just say that the entire earth will vanish in a singularity and the universe will cease to exist once Trump is elected? Are you by chance a member of the American media?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You know, a big chunk of what you would call "latinos" consider themselves white, and are by number the fastest growing part of the population. Do you imagine that their long term self interest lines up with other minority groups? There's nothing as D&D as nearly translucent white young men telling "minorities" what they should think and how they should vote.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blue Star posted:

More powerful, absolutely, without a doubt. Right now, they don't really have any power beyond online harassment, and it's only in the past decade or so that they've really come out into the public eye and demonstrated for all to see that literal neo-Nazis are not only viable political candidates but actually pretty popular. The recent success of extreme-right groups and ideologies all over Europe isn't a good sign, and it's going to drive more of the same. In the US, the alt-right is probably going to devour and replace the religious right.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The model to look at is Latin America, where a white minority holds a tight reign on power and the mestizo underclass votes for a never-ending string of populist candidates. The white elite class mostly lets this go by, while simultaneously shielding their wealth from these governments and having a condo in Miami for if they need to let things cool down for a bit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Same thing has been happening in SF&F. Bunch of alt-right whackos have been trying to take over the Hugo Awards via targeted voting and it just turned into poo poo.

Heavy emphasis on tried to.
It also gave us the wonders of Hugo Award Nominated Author Chuck Tingle. By his pounding we are blessed, and through our butts we praise him.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ddraig posted:

Furthermore it also goes to show that families where one parent dies are better off than if they go through a divorce.
So what you're saying is; if you truly love your children, you should kill your spouse instead of file for divorce?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gobbagool posted:

You know, a big chunk of what you would call "latinos" consider themselves white, and are by number the fastest growing part of the population. Do you imagine that their long term self interest lines up with other minority groups? There's nothing as D&D as nearly translucent white young men telling "minorities" what they should think and how they should vote.

I dunno, boss, the republican party is all lined up behind a man who said noone of mexican descent should be allowed to arbitrate legal proceedings he's involved with on grounds of their race, so you tell me.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Blue Star posted:

It depends heavily on how the political winds shift. The alt-right is popular now because of the political focus on social issues, the same way the Paulite libertarians were popular during the financial crisis. If another economic crisis hits, then the alt-right will deflate. The biggest thing that could boost the alt-right is more terrorist attacks on US soil by Muslims, stoking more nationalist sentiments.

In the near-term, it will probably grow though. The "alt-right" label is kind of overbroad, but most of what put it in the spotlight came from the talk radio mentality catching up with the social media era, which is ongoing and irreversible, and from finding a message that resonates with a younger audience (that progressives are hypersensitive killjoys) and using to bridge the gap to far-right lunacy, which is more tenuous.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The idea that a 'real' family is a mommy, a daddy, a mortgage, and 3+ kids is part of the problem. People see life as a checklist and everyone thinks they are entitled to reproduction. The social darwinist logic Americans are so attached to demands an eventual population cull.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So what you're saying is; if you truly love your children, you should kill your spouse instead of file for divorce?

If they never find out it would probably be a net improvement, I guess.

Ideally you wouldn't need to kill anyone, though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ddraig posted:

If they never find out it would probably be a net improvement, I guess.

Ideally you wouldn't need to kill anyone, though.
I forgot the obvious alternative of killing yourself, in case your believe your spouse is a better parent. I guess you could also just fake your death.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Ze Pollack posted:

I dunno, boss, the republican party is all lined up behind a man who said noone of mexican descent should be allowed to arbitrate legal proceedings he's involved with on grounds of their race, so you tell me.

So by your logic, nobody of Latino descent will vote for Trump, right? This should be an easy election for Hillary! She ought to win 49 states!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gobbagool posted:

So by your logic, nobody of Latino descent will vote for Trump, right? This should be an easy election for Hillary! She ought to win 49 states!

As long as the Republican Party continues to run on a platform of "Mexicans out" Latinos will continue to vote against them in overwhelming numbers, Pauline Kael rereg.

If you believe in the long term the Republican Party will drop that as one of their core policy planks, then my only question to you is- in favor of what?

As Trump's brutal dismembering of the primary field demonstrated, when you give their voter base a choice between free market economics and "no, really, gently caress the mexicans," they do not pick option A.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

gobbagool posted:

Why stop there? I mean as long as you're generating so much breathless pearl clutching, just say that the entire earth will vanish in a singularity and the universe will cease to exist once Trump is elected? Are you by chance a member of the American media?

I recognize that there are people who need to fear their natures.

McDowell posted:

The idea that a 'real' family is a mommy, a daddy, a mortgage, and 3+ kids is part of the problem. People see life as a checklist and everyone thinks they are entitled to reproduction. The social darwinist logic Americans are so attached to demands an eventual population cull.

Well the data shows having two of either gender is beneficial.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 26, 2016

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

gobbagool posted:

One of the fundamental problems with the demographics is destiny predictions is that something like 80%+ of foreign-born citizens live in NY or California (and of those, 80% live in a few cities). Their votes don't really matter because of the electoral college.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Well the data shows having two of either gender is beneficial.

There are four things listed there, dude. "Either" doesn't apply.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

There are four things listed there, dude. "Either" doesn't apply.

So wait your saying kids of gay parents shouldn't be allowed?

Epitome of Macho
Jan 9, 2006
Insert title text here.
Stop projecting your bigotry onto others.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Epitome of Macho posted:

Stop projecting your bigotry onto others.

Hey the study says its better to have two parents. Be they gay or straight. Sorry if the data doesn't fit your hedonistic vision.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey the study says its better to have two parents. Be they gay or straight. Sorry if the data doesn't fit your hedonistic vision.

You are vastly overestimating your understanding of the data.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

You are vastly overestimating your understanding of the data.

:ironicat:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally everyone (including your own study) disagrees with you, but sure, you're the only one that's right and it's everyone else that's wrong.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

on the left posted:

One of the fundamental problems with the demographics is destiny predictions is that something like 80%+ of foreign-born citizens live in NY or California (and of those, 80% live in a few cities). Their votes don't really matter because of the electoral college.

That seems like a really tortured statistic, "foreign-born citizens" is a tiny minority of minority voters.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Literally everyone (including your own study) disagrees with you, but sure, you're the only one that's right and it's everyone else that's wrong.

Show me where the study says those in single families do better then those with two parents.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Ze Pollack posted:

As long as the Republican Party continues to run on a platform of "Mexicans out" Latinos will continue to vote against them in overwhelming numbers, Pauline Kael rereg.

If you believe in the long term the Republican Party will drop that as one of their core policy planks, then my only question to you is- in favor of what?

As Trump's brutal dismembering of the primary field demonstrated, when you give their voter base a choice between free market economics and "no, really, gently caress the mexicans," they do not pick option A.

So what percentage of Latinos will vote for Trump then, like, 5%? 7? You've already shown a fantastic ability to willfully misunderstand what is going on with the electorate, so I want to have something else to laugh at you about

edit: also really enjoying you, a sickly white male, probably cishet, certainly a shitlord, telling Latinos what to pick. Surely they must welcome your wise hand and it's firm control?

gobbagool fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 26, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Show me where the study says those in single families do better then those with two parents.

How about you do me one better and show where in the study it says that the problems absolutely can't be attributed to things like poverty or social status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gobbagool posted:

So what percentage of Latinos will vote for Trump then, like, 5%? 7? You've already shown a fantastic ability to willfully misunderstand what is going on with the electorate, so I want to have something else to laugh at you about

edit: also really enjoying you, a sickly white male, probably cishet, certainly a shitlord, telling Latinos what to pick. Surely they must welcome your wise hand and it's firm control?

That you confuse statements of verifiable reality with commands explains a great deal of your worldview, not gonna lie.

I am pointing out, to you, that until such time as the Republican Party does not make "we hate Mexicans" one of its foundational planks, they will continue to consistently and overwhelmingly lose the Latino vote. Obama won them 71%-27% in 2012. The Republican Party's Latino outreach since that point has consisted of shutting down the government, demanding an end to birthright citizenship, and the political career of one Donald Trump.

Which of these three, in your opinion, is likely to have improved those figures?

• Locked thread