Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Total Meatlove posted:

Clubs are also less protected from being poo poo than they are in American sports. If a team in the Premier League attempted to minimally invest to keep down costs and to gain an advantage next season, they go down like Burnley, or Villa. Because teams can get promoted, setting up a local side and having them climb up through the divisions is a possibility - like AFC Wimbledon - who when MK Dons were created, were the protest team created by fans to keep their club in their local community.
There's no draft system. The worst team in a league doesn't get to pick the best players next year. If your team is poo poo they will likely be poo poo for a long time / forever. So if you were to try moving Arsenal to Belfast because you wanted to save money, you'd take a big financial hit from your fans being extremely pissed off with you and your team would start to crumble.

Plus don't underestimate culture: everyone would laugh at you and ask what in the gently caress you thought you were doing.

quote:

I think a good analogy would be football clubs as a kind of abstract version of a monument or a listed building. Like if some businessmen decided that the US tourism economy would be more profitable if the statue of liberty was moved to Texas, it would get a similar reaction to suggesting Liverpool should move to London.
This is a good analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread