Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Not a good episode. Nothing really dumb or offensive about it; just not much going for it. And a few retreads of previous Brockman episodes from the past few years.

I really don't know why they keep trying to give Kent Brockman stories. There is zero depth to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

spooky like this! posted:

I really don't know why they keep trying to give Kent Brockman stories. There is zero depth to the character.
Harry Shearer is the credited writer for this episode. It's his first script for the show. Maybe he likes Kent.

The AV Club review speculated that letting him write a script was part of the arrangement for him not quitting.

Granted, we don't know how much of the original script was watered down by committee. It's not better or worse than many average episodes recently.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nichael posted:

He was running for president. 2016 is far from the only time he's tried to get into the executive. He tried to be H W. Bush's VP, considered running in 1988 and 2012, and actually did run in 2000.

I must have been shielded from such laughing stock back in the day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2000

quote:

He named media proprietor Oprah Winfrey as his ideal running mate and said he would instantly marry his girlfriend, Melania Knauss, to make her First Lady

oh how times have changed

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Harry Shearer is the credited writer for this episode. It's his first script for the show. Maybe he likes Kent.

The AV Club review speculated that letting him write a script was part of the arrangement for him not quitting.

Granted, we don't know how much of the original script was watered down by committee. It's not better or worse than many average episodes recently.

I thought it was good and pretty funny. It seemed more cohesive, and having an A, B, and C story made it feel like a fuller episode.

Overall, I think this season's start has been better than last season's.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just watched the Boston episode, coincidentally right after getting back from Boston. Bart's "Southie" monomania was really weird.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The show was just renewed for 2 more seasons which will push it past Gunsmoke's record for most episodes of a scripted prime time tv series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

J-Spot posted:

The show was just renewed for 2 more seasons which will push it past Gunsmoke's record for most episodes of a scripted prime time tv series.

If episode #636 is not a Gunsmoke parody, I'll be pissed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
There Will Be Buds

Homer gets stuck coaching a kids' lacrosse team with Milhouse's friendless father, Kirk, and when Kirk becomes too clingy, Homer bad-mouths him about being a loser. But Kirk overhears the rant and disappears, right before the championship game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This episode has been surprisingly great. I expect to see Matt Selman's name show up as lead executive producer.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I can absolutely see why Kirk is friendless.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

dovetaile posted:

I can absolutely see why Kirk is friendless.

I would not lend him a feeling.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

This episode has been surprisingly great. I expect to see Matt Selman's name show up as lead executive producer.

Yep!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Gudger college will never not be funny.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

J-Spot posted:

This episode has been surprisingly great.
:agreed:

I wish every episode was at least as good as this.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Kevin Curran

In case you were wondering.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Mister Kingdom posted:

Kevin Curran

In case you were wondering.

quote:

Notable episodes Curran wrote for “The Simpsons” include “Don’t Fear the Roofer” (2005) and “I’m Spelling as Fast as I Can” (2003). He conceived the idea and co-wrote the 2002 “Treehouse of Horror” Halloween episode “The Island of Dr. Hibbert.” Curran won three Emmy Awards during his tenure on the show.
Those were good episodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Honestly, that's the worst part of the Simpsons now, it's been on so long so many people are passing.

And yea, this episode was great. Kirk being that guy who's really into the poo poo he's into, and never bothers to find out if other people are also interested in it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Havana Wild Weekend

When Grampa's health issues are unable to be treated effectively, the Simpsons take him to Cuba for cheap medical care.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

A foreign country trip that's also Grandpa focused? My expectations could not be lower.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"Being Right Sucks"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
"The Bart"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hardest I've laughed at this show in quite a long time. Then Maggie did the horse counting joke and I laughed heartily again.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Havana Wild Weekend

When Grampa's health issues are unable to be treated effectively, the Simpsons take him to Cuba for cheap medical care.

They literally already did this episode except with Canada instead of Cuba. And at the time I remember it being pretty good for a later-era Simpsons episode, even though it was only like season 16 or something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

OldSenileGuy posted:

They literally already did this episode except with Canada instead of Cuba. And at the time I remember it being pretty good for a later-era Simpsons episode, even though it was only like season 16 or something

They warned me Satan would be attractive. Let's go!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Dad Behavior

Homer finds a new app that makes his life much easier and outsources his father-son bonding. Meanwhile, Grampa finds that he is about to be a father again.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That was a dark as gently caress couch "gag".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
B-b-b-b-brains!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
What was that song Homer was singing in the bedroom?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I loved the Popeye flashback.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

What was that song Homer was singing in the bedroom?

Was it Dirty Work, by Steely Dan? Or was it when Homer was singing "What to do with a Drunken Sailor?"

"What do you do with a drunken Homer
Make him watch Hunt for Red October
Let him drive in a lunar rover
Tickle his nose with a..."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

RugClockVexx posted:

Was it Dirty Work, by Steely Dan? Or was it when Homer was singing "What to do with a Drunken Sailor?"

"What do you do with a drunken Homer
Make him watch Hunt for Red October
Let him drive in a lunar rover
Tickle his nose with a..."

It was the sailor one. Thanks.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Pfft. Ralph." sums things up nicely. Thanks, Matt Leinart.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Belated "Sunday's episode was okay" post.

It was on the better end of average.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Nightmare After Krustmas

To impress his daughter, Krusty brings her to spend Christmas with the Simpsons. Meanwhile, with church attendance plummeting, Rev. Lovejoy seeks converts, and a frightening Christmas toy spooks Maggie.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
So I havent watched the Simpsons in forever, pretty sure they just killed someone off just now...lolwut

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That episode could have been okay if they didn't feel like they needed to shoehorn the Simpsons into every plot involving a secondary character. They didn't even try to justify why the family was at the hospital or why Krusty would want to go to their house for Christmas. That wold have been time better spent reintroducing his daughter who was just sort of there after a 15 year absence.

Smashlampjaw posted:

So I havent watched the Simpsons in forever, pretty sure they just killed someone off just now...lolwut

Krusty's dad? They killed him off a couple years ago.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone notice the animation was somewhat reminiscent of the looser rules of seasons 2-5 (or so)? It was a lot less stiff than the modern era in a lot of places. The direction was less rigid as well. That's actually the second time I've noticed the animation being less stiff this season, it seemed that way in The Town too. Could the Matt Selman effect on writing have an impact on the animation as well? Because it seems like his episodes have looked better on top of being funnier this year.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Yeah, I noticed as well. It had more of a classic feel to it. Krusty seemed especially expressive and the Maggie stuff was nicely done.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Milhouse "as Mazda teaches us" joke made me laugh really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
just make Matt Selman the showrunner already

• Locked thread