Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

This is The Simpsons Season 28 thread. Feel free to discuss modern Simpsons in general. If the past few threads are any indication, this thread won't be super busy.

I'm creating this thread a day early because I might not have consistent internet tomorrow and it's been me who've created it the past few seasons. I might update this OP with something more elaborate later, but the show obviously needs no introduction. There's no huge gimmicks planned for this season; I think they're going to do an hour-long episode, which probably won't be a big deal.

"This show sucks now."
"No, it's not sad bad; just not as good as the classic episodes."
"No, it really sucks. It should have ended at season 9/10/11/12."
"I thought this recent episode was okay."
"This show started to suck at [exact joke from a season 13 episode]."

Anyway, the season premiere:
Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus | 8:00 PM on FOX, 30 min 2016 TV-PG
In the Season 28 premiere, Springfield burns to the ground, so the Simpsons beseech wealthy Mr. Burns to finance the rebuilding, but he has a price to pay---he's to put on a variety show at Springfield Bowl.

Here's the Adventure Time couch gag for the season premiere.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I did not like this episode.

Yet it's still way better than last season's premiere.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't mind this episode. I'll forgive the Wilhelm scream.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I appreciated this episode, except for Doris Kearns Goodwin.

My favorite visual gag:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
As far as Late Simpsons goes, I thought this was an alright THOH.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not a good episode. Nothing really dumb or offensive about it; just not much going for it. And a few retreads of previous Brockman episodes from the past few years.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

spooky like this! posted:

I really don't know why they keep trying to give Kent Brockman stories. There is zero depth to the character.
Harry Shearer is the credited writer for this episode. It's his first script for the show. Maybe he likes Kent.

The AV Club review speculated that letting him write a script was part of the arrangement for him not quitting.

Granted, we don't know how much of the original script was watered down by committee. It's not better or worse than many average episodes recently.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

J-Spot posted:

This episode has been surprisingly great.
:agreed:

I wish every episode was at least as good as this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Mister Kingdom posted:

Kevin Curran

In case you were wondering.

quote:

Notable episodes Curran wrote for “The Simpsons” include “Don’t Fear the Roofer” (2005) and “I’m Spelling as Fast as I Can” (2003). He conceived the idea and co-wrote the 2002 “Treehouse of Horror” Halloween episode “The Island of Dr. Hibbert.” Curran won three Emmy Awards during his tenure on the show.
Those were good episodes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Belated "Sunday's episode was okay" post.

It was on the better end of average.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
just make Matt Selman the showrunner already

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This feels like one of those celebrity stunt episodes that Family Guy might do, but honestly I find it entertaining.

Smithers' D plot wouldn't work at all with a half hour.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Fatzcarraldo | 8:00 PM on FOX, 30 min 2017 TV-PG
Fast-food restaurants in Springfield turn healthy, leaving Homer to turn to a greasy spoon for comfort (food), and childhood memories come flooding back. Meanwhile, Lisa scrambles for a special news story in order to save the school radio station.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This was a pretty weird episode, but I've been in a nostalgic but melancholy mood lately, so the premise of Homer rediscovering a sad but bittersweet moment of his childhood kind of hits nerve with me right now.

Milhouse being in the "Left, Right, and Center" cutaway was kind weird, because it seemed like it was framed as happening in the present instead of a flashback, but Milhouse was in both scenes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So this whole episode took place in season 4?

Anyway, I liked it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I read it as a "broad strokes" sequel. I didn't have a problem with continuity.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I honestly think this season's been the best since the 20th, so an average "concept" episode like this sticks out as a weaker serving.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Only caught up on it. It's not a good one.

I appreciated the mocking of the parenting advice circuit, but it really didn't have anything fresh to say about "everyone gets a trophy". At least they don't blame the kids for that. Then it pivoted too hard to being an episode "with heart" and it was too hard a turn.

So is this first time we've seen Great Great Grampa Simpson? Also, it's been a while since we saw the room behind the garage.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This episode's a stinker. Shame. This has been the most solid season for a while.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That B plot already sounds atrocious.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That wasn't too bad. Though, I did turn down the volume once the Pokemon song spoof kicked in.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Moho House

Homer and Marge's attempt to work on their marriage hits a bump in the form of home wrecker Nigel, who has a bet with Mr. Burns that he can break up the two. But Moe comes up with an unconventional plan to help the couple get back their mojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Episode was mostly amusing, visual gags. And a nice non-arc for Gil.

Apart from the Ivy League episode, this season was solid.

• Locked thread