Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The stealth :godwin: of maps.
Is one of the sources an image board I can't read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Again also aware of. I guess my curiosity is this : is there a correlation between between hirsute bodies and nudity taboos? I know body hair in a lot of cultures is assumed to be a masculine trait, but in cultures where they see everything hanging and flopping about are women still expected to be less hairy than men in certain places? And again, how much of this is REALLY a dealbreaker to men in these cultures?

Male humans (don't know about other primates) are genetically predisposed to be attracted to females with less body hair, it's a "built in feature" of all men, this is why women have less body hair than men today and without waxing and stuff being invented they'd have even less today. In a nude society it should work much the same as it does now, women would try to have less hair to be more attractive to a mate.

TheImmigrant posted:

For example?

Most women are shaving their legs and arms, I've know several that had to shave their back, lip, sideburns but never around the chest for some reason.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Can you back this up with anything but your own anecdotal experience? Things like shaved legs and armpits are quite recent, as I understand it, and far from universal.

Sounds like :biotruths: to me

The scientific voice on it seems to hover around "don't know sorry" for why people prefer complete hair removed.
The theories for why humans started to preference less body hair before they even had the brains to care about it are things like parasite control (and being able to see the skin for signs of disease easily) and heat control (clothes that you can take off and put on is more versatile than permanent fur which could cook your big human brain and make it harder to hunt).
But why would men prefer pubic hair removal now when humans wouldn't have had a way to control this for all the time before civilization and pubic hair is a sign for mates of sexual maturity, the things I've read on it basically dance around "It helps stop parasites or men have pedophilia tendencies for some reason". Things like that and the other complete hair removal preference things would be where I'd look for evidence of a clothed civilization messing with human sexuality (but I don't think anyone's surveyed the remaining naked tribes what their preference of pubic hair is yet).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

Not having pubic har was for a long time associated with prostitution in many countries and the big bush look was fashionable as recently as the 70s in America dude

I'm talking about people 5000+ years ago and why they'd do it not recent fashion trends.

• Locked thread