Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Condiv posted:

i had no idea that there was this kind of.... gradient. i didn't realize you would be treated worse the blacker your skin got, even by your own race

It's much much worse than that. A long long time ago I dated a black girl and she described some intra-family resentment because one side of her family was lighter-skinned. More in the public eye, if you remember Terrell Owens the crazy former NFL wide receiver:

http://www.si.com/vault/1998/12/14/...mains-on-a-roll

quote:

Other blacks with skin lighter than his called him Purple Pal
and Shine
, and schoolmates teased him for being skinny. They
also picked fights with him, leaving Terrell with two choices:
get his butt kicked or run. One time an older boy confronted him
at a crowded rec center, and when Terrell bolted, the boy chased
him all the way home. A quarter mile later, after Terrell had
made it safely to his front door, he felt as if the whole
neighborhood was laughing. "Everybody wanted to fight me," Owens
says. "I was pretty much the most picked-on guy in high school,
and I took a lot of beatings. Being dark-skinned wasn't in back
then, so I'd hear stuff like, 'You should be glad you don't go
to night school, because the teacher would call you absent.'"

Light-skin/Dark-skin resentment is a real real thing most white people have no idea about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread