Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I think that there are effectively two-three situations here: bleaching can be either done in an effort to advance socially (whether due to post-colonial history, like the Caribbean example, or not, as in India), or it can be mostly a fashion (as it seems to be in Japan). So, honestly, I think that the sanest response to this is the standard one: any systemic discrimination in schools, workplaces and whatnot should be dealt with by legislation. Cultural issues are best dealt with by setting new cultural norms. But in the meantime, people will probably continue to bleach, so those bleaching cosmetics should probably be allowed on the open market, where they are at least subject to safety oversight.

And going back to you, OP, I think that the best way for you to do these talks might be also also to focus on health and safety. As in, "if you want to do it, do it the safe way that won't leave you with skin cancer twenty years down the road: here is a list of reliable cosmetics without mercury" (e: if bad cosmetics are a problem in Jamaica, obviously). Discuss more and less reversible methods. Discuss why people have melanin at all - the biology of it. Treat it as you would the sex talk, perhaps?

meristem fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread