Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Also a 'white guy in Asia.' I live in Taiwan, where ethnic Taiwanese and Hakka have darker skin tones than those whose grandparents are Beijingers that fled from China when the Communists kicked the KMT out. From what I gather, the Chinese and Japanese both have this idea that light, fair skin is a sign of wealth, opulence, and status. Taiwan was governed by Japan for almost half a century, then by the KMT which was Chinese. So the cultural idea of fair, white skin is ingrained here. I mean, hell, even the Taiwanese puppets are loving white as hell.

Hair straightening, colored contacts, and other make up to simulate western styles and looks are done more to appear "exotic", as people are often attracted to what is different. It's interesting how this plays out male-female wise here among those who care that much about their looks. Women will go for "Western/European" looks, while men will go for "K-pop boy band". Both involve skin bleaching. It was jarring walking into my local Family Mart and seeing skin whitening facial masks for men.

But, I also live in Southern Taiwan, so the skin whitening thing isn't as prevalent. We'll see how things are when I move to Taipei, which has a larger population of folks whose grandparents came over in the 1940s/50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread