Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love Thai food. I am convinced it's the world's greatest cuisine. One of my favorite Thai dishes is a really simple one: Panang curry. I've found a really good Panang curry paste I like, and I'm getting close to a good Panang curry. But I'm not quite there yet. What's the trick to a restaurant-quality curry? I assume there's at least one Goon With Spoon who loves Thai food as much as I do, but is better at cooking it than me.

Thai food tips in general would also be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We have lots of Asian grocery options somehow, which owns. We're going through close to a bottle of fish sauce a month.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been trying to make the curry a little lower in fat, which is probably the problem. Next time I'll just go nuts and then make more rice or else add a ton of vegetables and skip the rice to stretch it out and not worry about the calories in the sauce.

What's a good paste to coconut ratio? I've been using Mae Ploy, which I like a lot more than every lovely American brand like Taste of Thai, but I mostly just guess wildly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Make sure you get coconut milk with no stabilizers. That way, you can skim the cream off of the top (after letting the can rest for a while), which you will then put over medium heat until it bubbles and spurts and the oil separates from the solids (this is called "cracking the coconut"). Once you have a slick layer of oil with rapidly frying coconut solids, add in your paste, and stir that motherfucker like crazy. Cook the paste until it starts to brown, then dump in the rest of the coconut milk/cream. Use more milk if you like it thinner, more cream if you like it thicker.

Frying the paste in "cracked" coconut cream IMO is the most important part of good curry flavor. Don't forget salt. Add sugar to taste (palm sugar is great but just plain white sugar works too).
This is really interesting, I'm definitely going to try it.

We made a good curry the other day using coconut milk, panang paste, and a bunch of peanut butter, then serving it over eggplant. But I want to make a great traditional curry, and I didn't even know about things like cooking coconut cream.

• Locked thread