Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FactsAreUseless posted:

We have lots of Asian grocery options somehow, which owns. We're going through close to a bottle of fish sauce a month.

assuming you're talking about the large bottles, that's my burn rate for fish sauce, so you're doing something right at least.

sugar and not skimping on curry paste - and frying it as someone else mentioned are really key. I have a big ol tub of palm sugar that I'll take giant quarter/half cup scoops out of every time I do a thai-ish curry. then it's just balancing it out with sour and salt, and you're there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bastard Tetris posted:

What's a good brand of coconut milk? I've been getting Chaokoh and it's ok.

that's what we used in the vietnamese restaurant I used to work in, so that's what I always grab for.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

C-Euro posted:

While we're still talking about Thai food, any recommendations on how to best store palm sugar? We've started doing Pad Thai complete with homemade sauce, which calls for palm sugar. However, this stuff is always rock-hard so I end up having to just grind the crap out of it with a mortar and pestle. If there's a way to soften it up, or a good way to grind it into a powder for storage, I'm all ears.

I'll admit I have the same problem, and have not solved it for myself, but I really think it's just add water and change the phase

I seek out tubs of palm sugar that are still semi liquid and just chuck it when it gets to rock stage - but the more sensical thing to do would be to make a heavy syrup out of palm sugar with an appropriate amount of water - and then store it in a bottle.

If anyone has better advice, I'm also all ears. love palm sugar. hate palm sugar.

• Locked thread