Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamia Domina
Apr 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

For me, the problems with NuMoO are exactly the opposite- it's changed far too little. For me, it's MoO 2 all over again, with what changes there were too minor to make me want to play it over the original MoO 2. I mean, look at say, the Endless series- sure, Endless Space was a bit of a wash, but then you get to Endless Legend and its expansions, which IIRC came out before NuMoO was even planned, and you can see a whole host of improvements (minor races, specialized resources etc.) which this game could have happily plagiarized without anyone really minding. Age of Wonders 3 added in elements like certain resources giving you access to new units and sometimes even opening new playstyles depending on what you got. Hell, returning to Endless Space, you had resources where if you had 4 or more copies increased the bonus the resource gave you. Or hell, let's look back at MoO 3- sure it was a shitshow at the time, but I honestly believe that with its emphasis on macro-level management, the concepts behind it were just too ahead of its time. Say what you like about Stellaris, but I'd have loved societal systems in MoO, or at least have had MoO 2's governmental systems back.

Basically, all NuMoO does is remind me of the many better 4x games out there.

I was actually pretty dissatisfied with Endless Legend. Endless Space ran out of content after a few runs, but it at least stood out for really varied faction mechanics and customizability while still somehow being more balanced than Civ 5. Legend left the faction customization shallow and unfinished and treated a lot of its other cool ideas like the unit customization and improved combat just as badly. It seemed to be going somewhere in beta but then it... never did, and came out feeling like vaporware. Then they pushed an expansion that just bit most of the worst ideas from Civilization right as people were praising it for trying to be more than another ripoff of Civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm not entirely sure why but I just keep bouncing off NuMoO whenever I try to get into it. I think it's something about the starlanes or the systems not being single points or the combat or the ship design maybe how pop growth works or something, but I can't quite figure it out and it's really bothering me that I can't enjoy what should by rights be one of my favorite games. Really I think it's a whole bunch of niggling things that are just a little too changed, but I can't pinpoint them. I loved MoO I and II (we don't talk about III) and more recently Stardrive II is one of my favorites so I have no idea why I keep bouncing off this one. Anybody else having similar problems?

TL;DR I bounce right off nuMoO for some indescribable reason, mildly upset about it

This made me think, I don't like MO1 and 2 but love the third game. Star Drive for some reason I couldn't get into, so it looks like our tastes are perfectly mirrored. This could mean I would like the remake.

Hell, if the new Master of Orion goes into a steam sale over Halloween, I'll grab it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

CommissarMega posted:

Basically, all NuMoO does is remind me of the many better 4x games out there.

Maybe this is it, it's too different from the original to be a polished version of that but it isn't innovative enough to be something that really stands on its own. Just went back and tried to play another game, and quit after ~45 minutes with all this in mind - the 'genericness' certainly is a factor.

Edit instead of double post:

FredMSloniker posted:

Nweismuller has a certain way of doing his LPs, and I think by now anyone who would be all BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD just doesn't bother posting in them. That said, RP is also a strong element of Nweismuller LPs, so while the Earthers may mostly be peaceniks for now, don't be surprised if our first major military exchange leads to a Starcon 2-esque dusting off of the nukes...

Oh I'm more than aware of how Nweiss likes to play these things, I've read at least the big ones (MoO2, SMAC, Masters of Magic), I was just surprised that more people were in favor of not even having a little picket navy and from an RP perspective signing over humanity's first steps in the cosmos to whichever faceless megacorp put in the best bid. I mean, I know things tend to drift towards privatized libertarian paradise more than anything else in Nweiss games and I ususally don't have a problem with it because how he writes them makes sense, but that just doesn't sit well with me.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 27, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
My thinking as someone who does not know anything about this game or its mechanics was that the civilian scouts are (presumably?) cheaper and faster to get out, and I'd rather make actual warships later on than jeopardize our expansion to churn out half-assed scout-destroyers that suck at both scouting and fighting and are going to be obsolete soon anyway. Now again, I have never played this game and might be totally wrong about how poo poo works in it, but the logic certainly isn't 'screw the military' :v:

Besides, fluff-wise? Why would the Republic go to the trouble of arming space exploration craft because aliens might be real? Seems fairly unlikely after all. Let's concern ourselves with the Borg or whatever after we have some reason to suspect they aren't just science fiction.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Theantero posted:

My thinking as someone who does not know anything about this game or its mechanics was that the civilian scouts are (presumably?) cheaper and faster to get out, and I'd rather make actual warships later on than jeopardize our expansion to churn out half-assed scout-destroyers that suck at both scouting and fighting and are going to be obsolete soon anyway. Now again, I have never played this game and might be totally wrong about how poo poo works in it, but the logic certainly isn't 'screw the military' :v:

Besides, fluff-wise? Why would the Republic go to the trouble of arming space exploration craft because aliens might be real? Seems fairly unlikely after all. Let's concern ourselves with the Borg or whatever after we have some reason to suspect they aren't just science fiction.

To be fair- early frigates in nuMoO actually are fully-capable scouts *and* are perfectly respectable warships for quite some time. As a matter of personal preference I have now begun to prefer to get a frigate out first instead of an unarmed scout, since it can still do scouting and then I can bring it home later to reinforce the defenses. Images are all uploaded and I'll start writing up the update now.

The fluff is perfectly logical and a big part of the reason I even made this a choice.

E: As far as 'faster and cheaper to get out', I can now see a civilian scout costs 20 production while a frigate costs 30. With very early industry, this can definitely make a difference.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 27, 2016

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Steps Into the Void, Echoes of the Past

The first years of the 24th century passed relatively uneventfully on Earth, with research and engineering efforts to take Humanity to the stars occupying efforts in academic and corporate labs while construction efforts on a new military space station over Earth began. Life continued for fifteen years, with Humanity working, playing, loving, and growing, and with Natasha Vasina elected as the new President of the Republic in 2310 as President Alexander's second term came to its end.

Finally, in 2315, a series of major breakthroughs paved the way for true FTL vessels and a major push out into space. Swift exploration ships and huge construction vessels fitted with atomic-powered drives could be constructed and navigate the conduits between stars, and it could even be possible to construct massive colony arks that could help pave the way for a human presence on new worlds.

We also discover the Government tech concurrently due to the Human 'Diplomat' trait, which unlocks Research Labs (35 production cost, +2 RP on the planet, 2 trillion credits upkeep) and Government Support Facilities (bonuses to morale and security on non-capital planets due to local administration and maintenance of order there).

The Defense Department, meanwhile, draws up preliminary plans for a hypothetical space control vessel that could be fielded with current technology. This formidable vessel relies on three missile tubes along the centerline to launch long-range nuclear missiles as its primary armament, backed up by three laser turrets designed to engage enemies roughly in front of the vessel. Two more light laser turrets are designed to engage small, fast-moving targets at close range, providing defense against enemy missile fire. The entire ship is sheathed in several centimeters of titanium alloy as protection against enemy fire, radiation, and the rigors of faster-than-light travel. This is only a preliminary study, however, and alternate proposals may be accepted.

The game will automatically generate fairly acceptable ship designs as you gain new technology, but these can be manually edited if desired.

Even before the perfection of new FTL drives, significant investment had been underway in constructing the frame for Humanity's first FTL exploration vessel by Horizon Aerospace. Horizon was awarded a contract by the Republic's government to operate Humanity's first scout beyond the Solar System, and it completed construction by the end of the year.

We had just enough money in reserve to buy the scout outright once we made this breakthrough, which saved us a few years of construction.

As the Werner von Braun set out on its maiden voyage to the edge of the system and the access point to one of the conduits between stars, it began to detect evidence of an unusual metallic object in the depths of Sol's Oort cloud by the end of 2316. Rather than immediately set out to explore a nearby star, it instead diverted for a slower-than-light voyage to investigate these unusual readings.

You can occasionally discover anomalies at the edge of systems, which you can divert ships to investigate whatever little treasure the galaxy left behind for you.

In 2318, the Werner von Braun finally reached its target, discovering an ancient cargo container pitted and scarred by tens of thousands of years of micrometeorite impact, marked with an indecipherable alien language. Inside the container was a vast load of ingots of refined metals and plates of high-tech ceramics, still preserved after all this vast period of time, worth many trillions of credits at current prices. The container was shoved on an intercept course with Earth, with the value of the cargo being split between the Werner von Braun's crew, Horizon, and the Republic, in accordance with the Republic's contract with Horizon. The Werner von Braun began its own slow course back to the point at which it could once again resume its mission of exploration.

The Human Republic as of 2320

Earth passed a population of five billion in 2317, and has seen a growing heavy industry sector with its growing population. Approximately one hundred million are now employed in Earth's heavy industry, with mining expanded to some slightly less promising sites to feed the demands of factories for raw material. Companies have sunk investment into a massive deep-space construction craft, practically a major factory in its own right, while others have begun programs to modernise their research facilities with the benefits of the new technological renaissance on Earth. The military station about Earth has been temporarily mothballed while still only half-constructed, but work can easily be resumed where it left off when the legislature once again authorises new appropriations for it. 95 trillion credits are still available for investment, with an annual surplus of 12 trillion credits.

You can push partly-completed items back in the production queue, where they will retain any progress on construction. Earth's current construction queue is 'space factory, research lab, half-completed starbase'. Only the first population unit on heavy industry on Earth produces a full 3 production- further factories need to rely on supply from mining sites that aren't the very best Earth has to offer. 2 industry per population unit is still acceptable, at least- with more than four units in heavy industry, productivity per worker drops off sharply and other fields start looking like a better deal.

The Werner von Braun's time in the outer part of the Sol system has allowed it to make long-range observations of some of the bodies surrounding the nearby systems of Etana and Tarazad, although calculation of the conduits around a star and further details about its orbital bodies will take closer survey and investigation.

You can observe how many things are orbiting a star from long range, but conduits are only revealed upon arrival at the system and specifics of the planets require individually investigating them.

Proposals for the People of the Republic

Asteroid Exploitation- Different firms have an interest in exploiting the asteroids, although the specifics of how they may be exploited vary. The most straightforward option, of course, would be the establishment of a series of mining operations throughout the asteroid belt, helping deliver the impressive wealth in metals and minerals locked in the asteroids to Earth. Alternatively, investors could buy up asteroids as a convenient place to establish research stations in a low-G environment far from any population centers, allowing for experiments that would be difficult to perform on Earth or too dangerous to perform there to go forward.
Please vote between asteroid mining (+2 trillion credits/year) or asteroid labs (+2 RP, -2 trillion credits/year) for the asteroid belt.

Agricultural and Biotech Investment- It is anticipated that when current biotech research bears fruit, it will allow small sealed habitats that can be used for study of the more hostile portions of the globe, such as the seafloors and Antarctic regions, as well as for better control of specialty agricultural environments. It should also allow larger-scale industrial hydroponics facilities that can grow significant crops with a relatively limited workforce. Investment is expected to focus more on sealed habitats than industrial-scale hydroponics, at least at first.
Biology will unlock Biospheres (45 production cost, +1 food, +1 RP, 1 trillion credits upkeep) and Hydroponic Farms (60 production cost, +2 food, 2 trillion credits upkeep). Please vote on the order of implementation, although I suggest doing Biospheres first.

Humanity now reaches for the stars, with strange new evidence that others have arrived there first, at least in the distant past. New technology promises to bring new prosperity, and the outlook on Earth is optimistic.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
With the currency symbol reading 'BC', shouldn't it be billions of credits, not trilliions?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Asteroid Labs and Biosphere

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorProf posted:

With the currency symbol reading 'BC', shouldn't it be billions of credits, not trilliions?

Maybe it stands for "Bajillion Credits"? :v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Defense Department Procurement- Initial Frigate Designs

Internal studies in the Defense Department have produced a preliminary design for the Republic's warships, based around three nuclear missile tubes, three laser cannon, and a pair of light defensive laser cannon turrets. That said, proposals from naval architects within the Defense Department and aerospace corporations for alternate designs for final approval will be considered.

Spaceframe, life support, armor, electronics, drive systems, and other essential systems take up all but 575 tons of the available displacement on any vessel that can be designed under current circumstances.

A hull bare of everything but drive and armor will cost 10 production, so that's our baseline cost.

Rebuilding the drive systems for greater output could take up 125 tons of the available displacement, greatly cutting into the space for weapons, but could result in a ship with greater maneuverability in combat and potentially slightly faster travel between stars.

This would also cost 10 more production.

Available crew and targeting systems on the spaceframe limit practical designs to no more than three distinct sets of weapons- more than that would overwhelm effective command and control. It could be possible to design nuclear warheads for surface attack, taking 100 tons available displacement per ordnance bay, but the Defense Department is more interested in dedicated space control craft for the moment.

One bomb bay costs 4 production to install.

Nuclear missile tubes are anticipated to be the mainstay of the offensive firepower of the new vessels, striking with great accuracy to inflict heavy damage via proximity detonation near a target. Each tube and its ammunition will take 100 tons of displacement. The only drawbacks of these weapons are their relatively slow rate of fire, their slow travel time compared to lasers, and their potential vulnerability to having their missiles shot down by the point defense of their targets.

Each nuclear missile tube costs 4 production to install.

Laser cannon are versatile and reliable weapons with several possible configurations. Although they can potentially have less than perfect accuracy due to targeting errors against enemy targets, they are immune to enemy point defense and can be expected to remain serviceable even if missiles are rendered useless by enemy defenses. Although the estimated potential damage of a laser cannon is nearly a quarter of that of a nuclear missile and the range of engagement is nearly as high, loss of cohesion over range renders laser cannon far more effective at short range and renders the outer envelope of their range largely a theoretical matter. Front- or rear-mounted turrets with limited traversal could each be installed in a displacement of 60 tons, while paired weapons in broadside casemates would take 75 tons of displacement. Dorsal or ventral turrets with a 360 degree range of traversal would take 90 tons of displacement, while light turrets useless for offensive purposes but optimised for point defense against fast targets would take 20.4 tons of displacement each.

Point defense mods drastically reduce range, reduce damage, increase accuracy and fire rate, and let the weapon fire automatically against incoming missiles. Front- or rear-mounted laser cannon cost 2 production per turret, laser cannon broadsides with one gun firing either to the left or right at any given time cost 3 production per gun, 360 degree cannon cost 4 production per turret, and point defense mounts cost 1 production per turret.

Proposals for ship designs with current technology will be considered in the Defense Department for future implementation when a space naval force is authorised by legislative appropriations.

Feel free to submit new designs using these guidelines for space usage, or to vote on designs submitted by others (or the default design).

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 28, 2016

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

ProfessorProf posted:

It is explicitly meant to be 'billion credits' since Master of Orion 1- but given that I rescaled assumed size of population units in Master of Orion 2 from '1 million' to '1 billion', I applied the same rescaling to currency values.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Labs and Domes.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Labs and domes

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 28, 2016

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lab and Dome. Early game additional research points are very important, particularly when getting a colony self-sustaining and building up things to boost research is hard. It doesn't matter as much mid to late game, but currently we are generating 3 Research Points, and the Lab will automatically add two to that, nearly doubling it. More importnatly, it will not require having a citizen to work on it to generate them or maintenance costs.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Just a heads up I changed my vote.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Labs and domes! It's time to blow up some asteroids and rebuild some of the biomes lost to Earth during the Great Warming of the 21st century and the Great Blight of the 22nd. Let's make a marsh, and a rain forest!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

We here at Galaxy Technologies would like to thank the representatives of the Ship Design Subcommittee for considering our proposal. It is our great pleasure to introduce the Archer Class Missile Frigate.

Archer Class Missile Frigate
Basic Armor and Drive (10p)
Augmented Engines (10p)
3 Nuclear Missiles (12p)
1 Nuclear Bomb (4p)
1 Point Defense Laser (1p)

Total Cost: 37p

The Archer class is a versatile power projection platform capable of succeeding at any mission that could reasonably be assigned to a vessel its size. The high speed augmented engines allow it to stay out of range of purely beam weapon armed opponents who will not be able to answer against the nuclear missile primary armament of the Archer. Against missile armed vessels, the Archer can engage for as long as safety allows, then withdraw with a boost from her engines if a retreat is called for. The point defense laser will extend the Archer's viability in a missile environment, though we must caution that the laser will only hinder, not defeat entirely any large missile volley. The addition of a nuclear bomb gives the Archer valuable ground attack ability, while the vessel's high hyperspace speed makes it an excellent scout, exploration vessel, and patroller.

In short, when compared to the Defense Department's "Frigate class", the Archer is able to respond quicker, explore better, as well as engage ground targets in a fashion that the Frigate cannot. While acknowledging that the Archer would be at a slight disadvantage in a pure missile duel with the hypothetical Frigate as the latter has twice as much point defense, the fact that the Archer can complete many more missions for only a slight increase in cost makes the Archer the efficient choice for our fledgling navy.

Once again, we would like to thank the committee, and Senator Doran in particular, for considering GalTech's proposal.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Senator Pen Doran, voting record:

Voted AYE for the establishment of an Asteroid Lab in the Sol System.

Voted AYE for the prioritization of Biospheres over Hydroponic Farms.

"It was the scientific community that brought us to the stars. We should support their quest for knowledge as best we can."

Voted AYE for the production of the proposed Archer Class Frigate.

"Senator, is it true that you only voted for the Archer because GalTech has their headquarters in your sector? And indeed, as GalTech is also a significant player in the Republic R&D sector, that your votes for research bills is encouraged by them as well?""
"Of course not. While I of course admire and appreciate the tax revenue that GalTech provides the Republic in general and Senate Sector 31 in particular, my vote was, as ever, purely decided by data analysis of the relevant facts and not some undue influence pushed on me by GalTech."
"And what about the rumors of the GalTech funded 'informational visit' to the notorious 'Pleasure Moon' orbital casino?"
"..."
"Senator?"
"...I'm sorry, I'm late for a committee meeting. Excuse me."
"Well, that was Senator Pen Doran of the Republic Advanced Technology Party as he left his offices in the capitol. And now sports!"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Dear Senator,

Me again, we need to take decisive action. The finding of that space container proves that the aliens that helped the Egyptians build the pyramids in that documentary are still out there. I suspect that are snake aliens that burrow into human necks and make our eyes glow and want to enslave us all.

We must begin mining operations as soon as possible. While these fancy labs sound wonderful we know the enemy is out there and need more money to buy warships to deal with them. Plus I hear you are building some neat egghead facilities on Earth so we will need some money to run the thing. These new hydroponic gardens sound wonderful, the kind of thing a simple man of the soil like myself can work in with built-in air conditioning. It is hot outside and this would make our jobs easier.

As impressive as a good laser blast are my smarter son says that without effective computing assistance they will not be able to hit the broad side of the moon. Is it true they set in there and manually point the little guns? We also need to build more nukes. I went to the museum at Hiroshima last year with my wife Ethel and saw how effective they can be. Still don't understand why we dropped the bomb on the nice Japanese folk though. The museum said they were invited into Korea and moved into China to stabilize it and we here in the old States cut off their energy supply. Not sure what they were thinking back then but luckily we are smarter now.

I propose this ship I drew up while Ethel and I were having pancakes at Denny's this morning:

Texas Class
4 Nuclear Missiles (20p)
1 Nuclear Bomb (4p)
3 point defense Lasers (3p)

Respectfully,
Jose Bergerson,
Proud Texan

I prefer asteroid mines to keep money production up over research asteroids that suck it away and give an equivalent amount of science. I also find building and growing to be more important in the early game. I prefer farms to kickstart food production. The sooner you fill the planet the sooner you get industry humming and the sooner you have extra population to make into scientists.

Early beam weapons are horrible inaccurate at hitting fast targets (everything we will fight unless fighting a fixed target) until you get a computer system. Missiles are king. Point defenses keep them away. A bomb rack can be useful for the early enemy you may encounter where bombs help and means you do not have to design a new ship or bigger hull to deal with them. Augmented engines increase closure with the enemy which is not needed with missile racks. This craft stays in missile range and tries to maintain long distance so enemy weapons cannot fire. Missile racks also fire while you are facing the other way and give you 360 degree fire.

Asteroid Mine, Hydroponic Farms, Texas Class Frigate

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Biospheres and Mining. No opinion on spaceship design.

nweismuller posted:

It is explicitly meant to be 'billion credits' since Master of Orion 1- but given that I rescaled assumed size of population units in Master of Orion 2 from '1 million' to '1 billion', I applied the same rescaling to currency values.

Considering that the Credit is an imaginary unit, you could dub it the nuCredit, a thousand times more valuable that the boring old Credit, and keep consistent with what it's displayed in the screen. I want us to be Zimbabwe. :v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Xenocides posted:

Texas Class
5 Nuclear Missiles (20p)
1 Nuclear Bomb (4p)
3 point defense Lasers (3p)

The proposed Texas Class is over displacement by one missile tube or bomb bay. Either cut down missile tubes to 4 or lose the bomb bay, please.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Asteroid Mine, Hydroponic Farms and of course the

FaceFullofPewPew Frigate Class
Basic Junk
Better Engines
7x Forward Facing Laser Cannons
1x Point Defense Laser

Missiles are all well and good but if we do run into big angry aliens we must be able to headbutt them to show our strength and put them in their place.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Labs, Farms

With the Stars opem to us, the potential to expand humanity is now limited only by our imagination. And our population, thus we should focus on securing our food supplies as soon as possible.

However, history has shown that some at the fringes of society will seek to take what is not rightfully theirs, thus we propose the Vigilance class Frigate.

Vigilance class Frigate
Standard Military Drive
Standard Armour (10p)
2x Point Defense Laser systems (2p)
7x Broadside Laser cannons (21p)

33P total

Such a well armed vessel is both economical to build, and able to bring significant firepower to bear on any would be raiders, the Vigilance is the ship best suited to protect the Republic.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Labs, Domes

Arbalest class Frigate
Standard Military Drive and armor (10p)
Augmented Engines (10p)
4 Nuclear Missiles (16p)
2 Point Defense Laser (2p)

38 points total.

A bunch of missiles and a bit of point defense to fill the gaps, good engines for FASTNESS and kiting. I'd rather have specialized vessels that do the thing they're supposed to do well rather than have some miss-match multitasker with bombs and missiles and lasers that sucks at both fighting and bombing. Of course, I know nothing about this game so my build might be dumb and wrong so eh.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Theantero posted:

. Of course, I know nothing about this game so my build might be dumb and wrong so eh.

Please don't ever let this stop you from posting ideas. Part of the fun is joining in.

Otherwise it's just people who should know better suggesting dumb gimmicks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Asteroid Labs and Biospheres

On starship design, let's go with a balanced vessel for the start, since we have no idea what we will meet between the stars:

Lancer class frigate

Standard Drive + Armor (10p)
Augmented Engines (10p)
2 Missile Tubes (8p)
3 Laser Cannon, front-mounted (6p)
3 PD-turrets (3p)
(37p total)

The idea behind this ship is to serve as an armed explorer, so the focus is on speed and versatility. In combat, the standard tactic would be to use speed and maneuverability to close with the enemy while spitting out some missiles and then wreak havoc with all weapons at close range. Three point-defense lasers should help neuter enemy missiles, while our lasers will make sure said neutering won't happen to us.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to vote Labs & Farms

Money can be made up in other ways, and while the Domes are cheaper, getting the farms up and running will increase our food and population a lot faster!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Labs and Buy the Farm.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Ooohhhh, this should prove interesting... I loved the SMAC lp after all.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Labs and Domes.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

nweismuller posted:

The proposed Texas Class is over displacement by one missile tube or bomb bay. Either cut down missile tubes to 4 or lose the bomb bay, please.

Revising to 4 missiles.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jng2058 posted:

We here at Galaxy Technologies would like to thank the representatives of the Ship Design Subcommittee for considering our proposal. It is our great pleasure to introduce the Archer Class Missile Frigate.

Archer Class Missile Frigate
Augmented Engines (10p)
3 Nuclear Missiles (12p)
1 Nuclear Bomb (4p)
1 Point Defense Laser (1p)

Total Cost: 37p

This is a good idea. It's got decent weaponry, it's good at getting where you want it when you want it, it's good at getting the hell outta dodge if it runs into something it can't fight, and it has ground combat capability that may turn out to be surprisingly useful.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Archer is a decent choice, but it could fit one more PD laser, couldn't it? So why not chuck that in?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Theantero posted:

The Archer is a decent choice, but it could fit one more PD laser, couldn't it? So why not chuck that in?

Unfortunately, while that would seem to be the case on paper, there seems to be a practical problem with the power conduits that make this impossible. I assure you that our engineers have tried their best.

The game uses some goofy math including decimal points for some drat reason, and you end up juuuuust barely over if you try to put in the second PD Laser. :shrug:

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
The von Braun's discovery proves two things: intelligent extraterrestrial life exists, and they have loot.

We need to learn to live in space so we can find more of these treasures. Labs and biospheres it is.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, that reminds me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro&t=16s

:v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
From within the Chiefs of Staff:

"So you mean to tell me that the proposal with the most legislative support for when we called for a new dedicated space control vessel is a ship that can only do missile engagements, will lose in missile duels with our original proposal, and will do this for a mere 23% increase in price? This is a boondoggle of the highest proportions! Our entire mission with the design is to win space engagements!"

Internal support within the Chiefs of Staff favors the Texas, Arbalest, or Lancer proposals over the Archer. In general, the Chiefs of Staff are reluctant to rely on designs that entirely sacrifice missile capacity at this point, as, barring strong opposing point defense, missile launch is likely to be the most powerful component of our offense.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 28, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

To make it clear, my vote is still in favor of my own design (the Arbalest), in case there's confusion on that.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
As a Texan-by-osmosis, I'm going to go with the Texas class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nweismuller posted:

From within the Chiefs of Staff:

"So you mean to tell me that the proposal with the most legislative support for when we called for a new dedicated space control vessel is a ship that can only do missile engagements, will lose in missile duels with our original proposal, and will do this for a mere 23% increase in price? This is a boondoggle of the highest proportions! Our entire mission with the design is to win space engagements!"

Internal support within the Chiefs of Staff favors the Texas, Arbalest, or Lancer proposals over the Archer. In general, the Chiefs of Staff are reluctant to rely on designs that entirely sacrifice missile capacity at this point, as, barring strong opposing point defense, missile launch is likely to be the most powerful component of our offense.
What did he expect after putting it out to contractors?

• Locked thread