Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, jumping on the Star Base, Biology and Civilian priorities bandwagon.

And if I might say so, all of you wanting the next Moo2 have certainly got it for better and for worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazycryodude posted:

Really I think it's a whole bunch of niggling things that are just a little too changed, but I can't pinpoint them. I loved MoO I and II (we don't talk about III) and more recently Stardrive II is one of my favorites so I have no idea why I keep bouncing off this one. Anybody else having similar problems?

TL;DR I bounce right off nuMoO for some indescribable reason, mildly upset about it

For me, the problems with NuMoO are exactly the opposite- it's changed far too little. For me, it's MoO 2 all over again, with what changes there were too minor to make me want to play it over the original MoO 2. I mean, look at say, the Endless series- sure, Endless Space was a bit of a wash, but then you get to Endless Legend and its expansions, which IIRC came out before NuMoO was even planned, and you can see a whole host of improvements (minor races, specialized resources etc.) which this game could have happily plagiarized without anyone really minding. Age of Wonders 3 added in elements like certain resources giving you access to new units and sometimes even opening new playstyles depending on what you got. Hell, returning to Endless Space, you had resources where if you had 4 or more copies increased the bonus the resource gave you. Or hell, let's look back at MoO 3- sure it was a shitshow at the time, but I honestly believe that with its emphasis on macro-level management, the concepts behind it were just too ahead of its time. Say what you like about Stellaris, but I'd have loved societal systems in MoO, or at least have had MoO 2's governmental systems back.

Basically, all NuMoO does is remind me of the many better 4x games out there.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yes, let us trade many alcoholic drinks with the children of Mother Russia Bulra! :ussr:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the LP over then? We should've made a custom race with Creative at the start :ohdear:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LEGO Genetics posted:

Hey, if we survive this we can RP by saying the war made us more battle hardened and we started focusing more on military and red snazzy uniforms and oh dear we're the Terran Khanate now.

Yes, let's do this :black101:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let's bring some good ol' fashioned FREEDOM!™ to those Commie Czarist bastards! :911:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TAlkaline posted:

Let's go with the Davy Crockett and the Huscarl. Versatility is underrated.

Agreed; who knows what else awaits us in the void- our ships need to be ready for anything.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The problem is, will they bring in reinforcements?

Glorious Red Bear is always having the reinforcements, comrade!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't remember- is it possible to only bomb infrastructure?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Agreed; having a Bulrathi planet will give us the ground trooper edge we need, as well as showcase to the galaxy the kind of multicultural society we hope to build.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, we're gonna need some Private Funding here.

We'll also need a Davy Crockett and a Huscarl.

The reason for this is because we're going on the offensive, militarily and in espionage.

A Missile Base for Paradise- we don't want to fight the Bulrathi on their terms unless absolutely necessary.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 17, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think Veloxyll was making a Starship Troopers reference :v:

That being said, you don't need massive casualties to inspire a nation to hate- all you need is a media willing to blow things up to that level, so yeah, I can believe the Human populace is going to be crying out for blood, on Paradise most of all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Creative races still get all picks though, last I played.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe wait a bit- perhaps the devs didn't know how badly this would break things, and they could release a hotpatch or something soon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ManxomeBromide posted:

Going back to my earlier vote to clarify it - I'm actually kind of in a haze about the way technology even works in this game. It seems like there are multiple menus that include techs and subtechs, and I'm unfamiliar with the game's tech tree. So I'm basically trying to reply "half-in-character."

Basically, every tech has its own base benefits, and a choice of secondary ones.

For example, let's say there was a tech called Super-Rockets and we research it. We'd get increased ship speed as a default bonus- but we could also choose between better missile weapons or rocket boots for the troops. If nweismuller was playing the game correctly*, he'd have customized our race to be Creative, which would have let us pick both secondary options.

*Yeah, nweismuller, you heard me :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How prepared are we for a ground invasion?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazycryodude posted:

Bulra delenda est.

Cato, we're done playing nice.

Agreed!

Also, how will this affect foreign policy going forward? Will we be on a near-war footing every time we meet a new race? Keep trying to be friendly? Or will we adopt a 'one strike and you're out' position? 'Cos my vote's for the third option :commissar:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Quantity of disruption has a quality of its own.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Another thing to remember is that the higher-level stuff has a higher chance of failing; revolts and such are to be incited before war, but now that we're in one, we need more regular successes than we do dramatic ones.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I say NAY to delaying the invasion- the sooner we cut off the head of the bear, the sooner this war is over, saving lives on both sides in the long run. Our only delays should be in building up an army to occupy Ursa.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not to mention all the production facilities we'd be able to seize. Even if we can't use them, we'd be able to deny their use to the Bulrathi, and we'd be able to free up ships that would have been wasted in a blockade.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh God, I just realized something- if we're looking at the Bulrathi via the lens of WW2 Japan, then... Bulrathi anime. I for one would find anime very much improved if one replaces the doe-eyed preteens with 6-foot tall bear hulks. I know I'd pay through the nose for a Girls und Panzer Strongest Bear Edition™ at least.

Also, people who are a little too into Bulrathi should be called weeabuls. This is non-negotiable.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd say play Humanity, simply because I like rags-to-riches stories and the Human race :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
B, perhaps with a view of using the Mrrshan against the Klackons and then stabbing them in the back. You might not have a conqueror's instincts, nweismuller, but I damned well do :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Each Darlok is comprised of three Antarans (who are actually dwarfish in stature) sitting on top of each others' shoulders, all of them encased within a suit fitted with complex animatronic arms :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well there you go then! Plant some troops on Nazin, call it a 'police action', done :smug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Man, you're just gonna settle for 'petting'? :grin:"
-overheard's buddy

EDIT: You know, I'm wondering- just how prevalent is xenophilia among the races and if so, how is it expressed? I"m not just talking about our Captain Kirks and their alien equivalents, but xenophile subcultures ranging from alien weeaboo-types, to those who see points of similarity and commonality between different races (I can certainly see the Meklar being less alien than humans to the Klackons, and the humans being culturally more palatable to Mrrshan than the Bulrathi, for example).

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 20, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With regards to scientific research, I'd have to (ahaha) put my money into economic research, simply because having more money or stretching the spending power of what we have makes us more versatile in what we could do.

In terms of intergalactic politics, I say we seek an alliance with the Mrrshan, and hopefully conquer as many Klackon worlds as we can so that we can use the bugs as skilled labour introduce the benefits of individual thought and action to them. We should also keep things between us, the Meklar and the Darloks cool for now, though we should boost out military for the inevitable war with the Darloks. Trade with the Quanta should be intensified as much as possible, as we have much to learn from them one another.

In terms of fleet expansion, I say we expand our fleets slowly for now, at least until we can get some money production up; hopefully we'll be able to get the Mrrshan and the Meklar to pick up the slack for now when we go to war

Back to economic development- definitely yea on Paradise's geosynchronous warehouse, and spaceports for the other worlds.

Yea on the new frigate, that it may combat pirates. It should also serve as a useful asset (or at least, a speedbump) in case of another war.

Prioritize getting techs from the Psilons; our economy should make us the tech leaders in our half of the galaxy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Not only no to both, but hell no, in my opinion.

Same; they deal with us as equals or inferiors, or not at all!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Full alliance with the Mrrshan- might as well use our victorious fleets for something, and Klackon workers would give us a solid industrial base for shipbuiloding and whatnot.

Cast the Darlok into Mount Doom- at the very least, we'll keep their super-spies from nicking everything we've got.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nweismuller posted:

Alkari space appears to have a point of access from the Spinward Quadrant, but that means we'd need to pass through both the High Queendom of the Mrrshan and then fight our way through Klackon space. That would be cheaper, and has obvious other opportunities.

Fixed it for you :colbert: It should also provide an impetus towards the Bauer Doctrine for Human military expansion efforts. Furthermore, I think the versatility proposed by Objective Infosystems' research would prove more beneficial in the long run.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Deleter posted:

Just pay the Quanta. Jesus Christ, people, the Republic wasn't built on bathing in alien blood. We don't need to stab people when we're walking down the street.

But what if they look at us funny?! WHAT THEN?!

nweismuller posted:

A High Queendom alliance and fighting across Klackon space is literally our only option for contacting the Alkari

:smug: Toldja so.

nweismuller posted:

Note: we do not want to attack the FPQ.

Not yet, at least.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I'm also for forming a good ol' Federation of Free Peoples, but the Darlok are the antithesis of everything we and the other free races of the galaxy stand for. From both an ideological and practical standpoint, the Darloks must be brought to heel one way or another.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Democratic Sentients' Alliance of Free Republics :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly though, if we do want to be human-centric while being as inclusive as possible, why not something like The Solar Concord, or The Solar Union? Make it obvious that while political matters are obviously centered on Sol, it's not all about Humans?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I vote for The United Republic of Sol- quite inclusive, and makes it clear that while administration might take place in Sol, Humanity isn't necessarily the one in charge.

Anyway, with respect to the various alien races and the Republic, I would like to ask a similar question- how do humans see the aliens in general? While the Republic's ideals are indeed worthy of striving for, and it does seem that the government seems to be trying to move in that direction, the common man might not see it that way.

Bulrathi:
Nothing but a deep hatred exists between most humans and the Bulrathi, and while there are efforts to reconcile on both sides, these are minor, and true, long-lasting peace might not be possible for a generation, maybe more. If there is a silver lining to this war (other than the elimination of a Republic rival), it is that our outright conquest and occupation of Bulrathi territory means that something like the Treaty of Versailles and its consequences might not happen. Freeing the Bulrathi people from the stranglehold of their nobles and possibly their Hags might also encourage more independent (or at least, pro-Republic) sentiment. Personally, I'd advise mass assassinations of the nobility to make for a smoother transition, but that's just me.

Mrrshan:
I'd think the average man in the street would be wary of the Mrrshan, though this would be less due to any fault of the Mrrshan, and more the fact that the first alien race Humanity met tried to raze our worlds and salt our fields. On the whole, I think Humanity and the Mrrshan would get along splendidly, though the average member of either race would be irritated and/or annoyed by their counterpart's cultural upbringing- if something goes wrong, for example, the Human might want to take it to court and duke it out in a fair trial, while the Mrrshan might just want to challenge whoever wronged her to a duel. That being said, the opportunity for either of them to adopt the other's way of thinking, or at least adapt to it when in their respective polities, might be higher than when dealing with other races. I can certainly see Mrrshan duelling schools opening up on Human worlds, to help Humans deal with Mrrshan legal procedure, or even simply for fitness purposes, while Mrrshan without the capacity to give a proper fight might want to take matters to Human courts.

Not sure about the other races; I think we'd need more contact and/or trades with them before I can make up suss out the average Joe's view of them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Deleter posted:

I don't understand how people in Darth Vader masks stand out as silly to you next to cat people, rock tits and GNN.

To be fair, nweis is a much more peaceful player than the rest of us. I personally liked the Terrans, simply because Space Hitler is how I usually play.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siegkrow posted:

You see how the psilons are suspiciously similar to our depiction of "the grays", which popularly aren't seen as the kindest of aliens, what with the abducting and cow mutilating and anal probing. Is there any explanation for that? Maybe some rogue psilons?

I actually like to think that (assuming every MoO race got into space at the same time) the Psilons are some kind of genetic offshoot of the ancient Orions or Antarans, who were the real party behind alien abductions and stuff.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nweismuller posted:

Would you favor concluding a non-aggression agreement with the Meklar Combine as things stand? The price, to remind you, is us transferring the Moon Laboratory technology we got from the Mrrshan to them.

Dunno about wedgekree, but I for one have no problem giving the Meks moontech. By the looks of it, we'll be expanding through the Klackon anyway once we buddy up to the Mrrshan :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mzbundifund posted:

F.

Their racial strengths are perfectly suited to hit our racial weaknesses.

Yeah, the above is my vote too, for exactly the same reason.

• Locked thread