Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Archer Class

Augmented Engines, missiles and a bomb? Sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Autofactory, Colony Ship, Tarazad Prime

(Seriously? A Terran planet with Seagrass next door? That's an amazing start.)

Tyrannus will be an excellent system later once we have better access to food production on more hazardous planets.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Scanners

It'd be really nice to find that pirate base and any decent planets on a smaller time table.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Biotech.

Build an Archer.

Do not build the pop transport, build a 2nd Colony Ship ASAP.

Establish Embassy.

...You have a large, rich, Gaia on one side and a Terran planet with a food booster on the other? What have you sacrificed for such luck? Also the Bulrathi are nice neighbors to have early on. Their lore is different than expected, but at the same time very... Bulrathi.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 3, 2016

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Much like Russia, the bears are fine allies, but terrible foes. We shouldn't fight them unless we're forced to.

That pollution (alcohol?) tolerance doesn't play a huge role early on, but in the mid and late game it allows them rapidly build and deploy fleets and infrastructure. These guys are my pick if I'm not making a unique race.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

my dad posted:

Finish research, move on to private funding for :science:

Nay on the new ship. I'm pretty sure we'll have more than enough things to build for now
Nay on the spy center. It can wait until we get a bit more advanced manufactoring and research on Earth.

Military deployment: Go scout more. The Bulrathi can handle themselves.

I agree with all of this, and continue urge the council to consider another colony ship. We must build a buffer between Earth and the outlying systems and/or potential enemies, and colonizing Tarzahd would do so. In addition, Tarzahd would be largely self sufficient in its infancy, as the wealth of native food sources would allow for more infrastructure to be built concurrently to population growth. Never again should raiders enter the Sol system.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
"Senator Oberland expresses his regrets over harassing the Council over plans that were already in motion. His aide mistook the foundation for a new ship at the dock for another Frigate class and did not look closer. He would like to extend a wish of gratitude to those moving to Tarzahd, as he has vowed to join those colonists when the ship is complete."

-Robert Oberland
-Aide, Nephew and Spokesman for Senator Oberland of Illinois

(Whoops! That's what I get for reading the update in the early hours. Sorry about that.)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
You certainly can claw your way back into this, but you're going to need to build as many frigates as they have.

Also 9 frigates this early? The Bulrathi are a war type AI, but that means their infrastructure is terrible. If you can beat off that wave you should have the upper hand.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Poil posted:

Maybe you might actually need to get some defenses if you start near a race built for space jingoism? I mean, you don't attempt to start to spam wonders if you start next to Monty in Civ 5 do you? :v:

Probably, but I've never been close to an aggressive race that jumped me this early in the game, and the Bulrathi aren't the most trigger happy race out there.

Then again, I usually start post warp, so maybe the game plays very differently in the early game on pre warp.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So for science I opened up a new game on a medium map and made sure the Bulrathi and a mix of aggressive and passive races were on it. Sure enough, the Bulrathi declared war on their neighbor earlier than anyone else did (by a whole turn, but whatever). I guess since the last time I had them as a close neighbor a few patches have come through and made them far more aggressive than I remember. Sorry about that.

Our fleet might not have a massive amount of PD, but we should be able to throw the Bears out. The problem is, will they bring in reinforcements?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The Bulrathi have a planet advantage on us, and better resource base since their primary planet is large AND rich. Not only that, but they're far better suited to fighting a ground game than we are. We need to punch the bear in the nose to teach him not to mess with us, we do not need to hunt him in his lair.

Molecular Manipulation, Industrial Expansion

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

RedMagus posted:

Yea, it's the best term I had. something about the pace of Civ5 where getting your basics doesn't take what seems like a very long time.

Yea, it doesn't seem to take a long time, and then you look up at the clock and realize 9 hours passed, you're starving and it is almost dawn.

4X games are a hell of a drug.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Surely it isn't that bad.

(Loads up the game and plays about 10 turns on a save)

...Holy crap that's bad. Being High-G isn't supposed to be a penalty! This really hurts the Bulrathi early game, and I'm sure it messes with any Low-G race as well.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Sylphosaurus posted:

That's a drat shame since I have to admit that I was far more interested in this LP than the MoO2 one.

Yup! It is always fascinating to see someone play through a game you're getting into yourself. Nweis is a more conservative player than I am. Nweis' play style is different enough that their decisions, including the goonmind decisions, make for a very different game process. Also the RP element is a refreshing take on the newer game.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Let the spy go. Our enemies might be more accommodating if we don't kill their spies every time.

I have no real military suggestions, save for the construction of a few scouts to see if we can find a few more planets on the frontier to our "south". We're in a stable enough position that we can spare the time to build the boats.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Adler Verbundet. Why drive a vehicle when you can BE the vehicle? As a bonus, we might be able to fight Bears in hand to hand combat with the powered armor.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

McGavin posted:

Steam's got this game for 40% off. Considering that I enjoyed MoO2, is it worth getting or not? Are there any significant crashes/bugs/frustrations I should know about?

I'd suggest getting the game.

You aren't constrained by your fuel size anymore, so the only thing stopping you from scouting the entire universe early on are bandits and other civs, anything else you can ignore and just move to the system warp exit points. The frustrating thing is your scouts can't escape from a fight, so sending a frigate out to scout isn't the worst idea since they might be able to escape from a fight before being blown to pieces.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh good, I saw the deletion of all my saves and immediately hoped that didn't happen to this LP. Glad to see this won't be damaged.

Super thrilled about those saves going away. Was a warning sent out in the past two days or was this out of the blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

my dad posted:

They were backstabby warmongers. Like, they'll cozy up to you if they're fighting someone else, but don't expect this to last. Fortunately, they sucked as a faction because feudalism. The sakkra had a bajillion, well, sakkra to make up for it, the elerians just had lovely outdated warships they rarely could take advantage of.

They're incredibly annoying to start next to on impossible settings in MoO2 because they're able to keep up in tech and their base defenses in space made them very hard to hit.

Glad to see they're still the Elerians and people I don't want to start next to.

• Locked thread