Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Labs, Farms

With the Stars opem to us, the potential to expand humanity is now limited only by our imagination. And our population, thus we should focus on securing our food supplies as soon as possible.

However, history has shown that some at the fringes of society will seek to take what is not rightfully theirs, thus we propose the Vigilance class Frigate.

Vigilance class Frigate
Standard Military Drive
Standard Armour (10p)
2x Point Defense Laser systems (2p)
7x Broadside Laser cannons (21p)

33P total

Such a well armed vessel is both economical to build, and able to bring significant firepower to bear on any would be raiders, the Vigilance is the ship best suited to protect the Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Theantero posted:

. Of course, I know nothing about this game so my build might be dumb and wrong so eh.

Please don't ever let this stop you from posting ideas. Part of the fun is joining in.

Otherwise it's just people who should know better suggesting dumb gimmicks.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Engineering!

Nay on a Starbase - we need more
Yea to another warship.

Maximum Space Friends with the Bulrathi

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

That first part never happened, that's just what their victims in the Orion Sector believe to feel better about themselves. The Antarans actually wiped themselves out thanks to a brain-eating parasite called Harvester Gamma. The parasite was supposed to be a new generation of Antaran bio-weapon to kill every species they wanted dead more efficiently then by their old, tedious methods of using work camps and orbital bombardments.

The last part is true, it's just missing the "New Orions" still doing their favourite thing: Killing people.

You can read about Harvester Gamma, the Antaran Collapse and the wishful thinking of their victims here in more detail.

In their defense, it WAS great at killing every species.

Including the Antarens themselves.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

It's basically just nostalgia. As my first space 4x, MO3 has a special place in my heart, as corny as that sounds. There is no other game I'm willing to forgive that many flaws. And even I refuse to play it without multiple patches and a massive mod applied.

Edit:

At least MO3 doesn't make you feel actively repulsed by playing it. And the game runs stable, without randomly crashing when I accidentally click into empty space or other nonsense.

(I haven't forgotten Imperium! I just need some time to overcome my revulsion, OK?! Someday that LP will continue.)

This. This means that someone's first Space 4X experience was SOTS2.

This makes me sad.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Industrial Expansion, Davey Crocket, Molecular Manipulation and, while it surely pains us to force humans to endure longer under alien threat, Await the 4th starship before freeing Paradise. The rest of the Bulrathi navy is out there, Better to wait and minimise losses than lose half the fleet and then have the Bulrathi come by with the rest of their fleet and pull the same trick at Earth.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

nweismuller posted:

That, and our industrial expansion is starting to make pollution a long-term issue. Filtering pollution will help us sustain levels of industry that would eventually bite us in the rear end. Plus it's a prerequisite for other nice things.

Plus Plus it's relatively cheap.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, worst case, we have hulls equipped with Bombs. The Bulrathi, not so much.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's supported in Gameplay.

But the Republic would not support this action.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RedMagus posted:

I'd really just want a white peace, we need to get our expanding on!

Also, what would anyone recommend for a faster paced 4X? I've tried Civ:BE and found that to be way too slow in my ability to get to the cool things. All the MoO threads though are really tickling my want to see space and find weird things on new planets. If No Man's Sky hadn't blown up so spectacularly, I'd probably be getting a copy of that.

4Xs tend to hate the idea of "faster paced"

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crazycryodude posted:

Public reactions to the initial declaration of war, and seeing as it's lasted decades (30+ years if I'm counting right) how an entire generation has dealt with growing up at war. Maybe something about how the public perception of the Bulrathi has changed, perhaps even regionally (e.g. I don't imagine residents of Paradise having a very positive view of the Bulrathi, but maybe Earthers see it differently).

The Bears wiped out New Buenos Aries. I say, KILL EM ALL!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

CommissarMega posted:

I think Veloxyll was making a Starship Troopers reference :v:

That being said, you don't need massive casualties to inspire a nation to hate- all you need is a media willing to blow things up to that level, so yeah, I can believe the Human populace is going to be crying out for blood, on Paradise most of all.

That was more my point. That and Paradise has so far born the brunt of the costs of the war.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Peace in our time Our stellar exploration has shown plenty enough worlds for humans and bears. While our previous experience shows the need for us to maintain a military force, a campaign of terror is not in the republic's interest.

As a gesture of friendship, we should trade shields for computers, to demonstrate to the hawkish types that we can gain more through peace than warfare.

Sunrise should be our latest new world's name, Shaghar should be our next colonial option, and Advanced Fusion should be the focus of our scientists.

To avoid any future unfortunate incidents ith the bears, the Republic's intelligence services should seek to learn basic information about the Bulrathi's worlds and encourage informer cells to be established

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Advanced Fusion then Genetic Mutation with Telepathy focus. I always wanted to be able to read minds.

Toxic Processor no point making fertile soil if our factories are just gonna mess it up all over again.

The past reveals that the first steps are the slowest and most painful for a new colony. an injection of funds on Sunrise for basic infrasturcture will quickly get it through this unproductive phase. Yea to assistance.

After our current crop of colony vessels a new military cruiser would be a fine addition to the fleet.

Broad infiltration and Nay to DNA sniffers. Our people should be protected from such crass invasions of our privacy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

nweismuller posted:

Oh yeah! That's definitely a thing I like less about nuMoO- the food and population growth model. For post-industrial societies I like food production better as a simple matter of 'having enough to supply the population' as MoO2 did it rather than having excess food production boost population growth rate. For pre-industrial societies having food production tied to growth rate works well as a model for how the endemic hunger of pre-industrial societies ends up slowing growth, but post-industrial societies tend to have food supplies well in hand.

Silicoid food production ALSO affects their growth rate last I checked.

Des[ote the whole not eating thing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The real truth is that the Bulrathi just promised to make Earth Great Again and let things escalate from there.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Was trying out the Elerians finally.

Omniscient is the worst trait/. The Psilons are on the far side of the galaxxy, I don't care that they made a new colony! It's turn 20.
Ugh,

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Well, after a while, you get a lot of planets you don't really care about. nuMoo makes you build population transports though, which takes a lot more :effort:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

nweismuller posted:

Well, a growing number of Bulrathi actually do have English as a first language now- English is the primary administrative language of the Human Republic, and it's been instituted in education for young Bulrathi. A (very few, thus far) Bulrathi have actually taken to adopting Human names, so a Bulrathi named Fred isn't beyond the bounds of belief.

Fewer of them claim to be Norwegians, however.

Fewer, but not NONE

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, sure, it let the Bulrathi re-arm.

But it also allowed HUMANITY to do the same. And advance in non-military areas creating the foundation for our current success.

It's a shame that the Bulrathi decided to try again to conquer humanity, it is a shame that we have to remove their government by force.

That does not mean that peace was the wrong option at the time. The Bulrathi were not destined to go to war with us again, that was a choice they made.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Capitalism, hooooo!
Economics research and facilities benefiting the same should be a priority for both research and colonial development.

Grant exploratory division their request for a new Frigate, but otherwise expand the fleet gradually.

We should improve relations, and trade star charts, with the Mrrshan, but a wait and see approach to the other alien races diplomatic actions is preferred.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

nweismuller posted:

That's pretty low on the list of things that annoy me, definitely after rocktits, MoO2 Gnolams, the game's taxation model, the Terrans, and the loving Alkari advisor. Having a mammalian alien actually be sexually appealing (either male or female) frankly doesn't even rate as much of an annoyance for me, if not done in an utterly ridiculous fashion. (I.e., I like the Mrrshan Queen better than the Syreen.)

eh, I don't mind the Syreen. It's so ridiculously over the top it's hard to take seriously.
Though they're not aiming for the same look.

Man, remember when we were like "The bears just got dunked, lets not have a war eeeever again."
Now it's like "AN ALIEN IN A CLOAK. BURN THEIR WORLDS AND SALT THE GROUND."
Give peace a chance.
Ammending my vote to Non-Aggression with the Mrr'shan. Maybe see if they want a more civilian or defense oriented tech to join us in an alliance and enforce their current borders against the Klakon.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Rawkking posted:

In light of all the goon posting I like that average joe Darloks are paranoid that humanity plans on attacking and enslaving them :tinfoil:

Have you beenj paying attentio0n to the thread. that is pretty much what some people have been advocating.

"Oh, the Darkloks are cautious and reserved and secretive. We should conquer them for their own good!"
GEE I WONDER WHY.

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

MechaCrash posted:

You slander me and mischaracterize my position, good sir! At no point did concern for the fate of the Darlok people ever enter into my consideration, I was pushing for their eradication from day one purely for the safety and security of the Republic and because seriously, gently caress those guys.

I await your apology. :colbert:

I'm SORRY that you show a total disregaurd for non-human life. Any bombardments will probably fall upon the newly liberated Bulrathi worlds too. But welp. SORRY, Senator MechaCrash here doesn't think your lives matter.

And how do you think our Mrrshan neighbours will view any diplomatic overtures from a Republic so callously willing to destroy the lives of its non-founding peoples?

The Bulrathi destroyed Earth's governing structures, and it was terrible, sure, but that does not mean we should invade every alien race because they MIGHT pull the same trick again.
It's that sort of warmongering and tyranny that the Republic was created to PREVENT.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

United Serene Solar Republic!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vote #1 Popular People's Front of Solar Republics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeah. I type all updates in notepad or the like after losing more than a few updates to misclicks.

• Locked thread