Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

Focus research on teaching methods
Hawk as gently caress, - we built all these ships let's use them to take the Bulrathi off the board for good, lest we end up back here again next century
Yea on extending war economy - the space bears won't be pushovers, we need to be as ready as possible
Yea on raising troops from Sunrise - invasions will be nasty, but necessary. Best to have as many men and women under arms as possible before we start
Immediate construction of Peacemaker - the Bulrathi are currently constructing multiple ships of similar size, we need to have something that can hold its own in the batle line
Robominers on core worlds - even if the net output doesn't increase by much to avoid pollution, freeing up manpower for other pursuits is invaluable
Civilian development on Niflheim - the colony's not quite on its feet yet, and completely neglecting civilian development in favor of military preparations isn't feasible

Bears are the worst threat to humankind's peace, freedom, and honey reserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'd like to propose the name Cincinnatus. Not only did he set aside the dictatorship when he was finished with the job he came to do, he was also merciful to his defeated foes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Are we preparing for Verdun, space edition?

e. also, thanks to the fellow travelers who liked Cincinnatus. :shobon:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

my dad posted:

We won't.

This, I hope. It doesn't seem like Nweis's style, for which I'm glad.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I thought how the Klackon issue was handled in that LP was one of the most interesting things I've seen in LPs. It could have easily been a major plot in a good space opera.

e. vvv yes :shobon:

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 9, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The tensions between trying to deal with a totally alien foe in a humane way and also imposing not just the victor's cultural values but also biological, hm, norms? imperatives? on the Klackon just really interested me, especially since it was an action taken by a reasonably liberal government trying to do their best to not have to either abandon these Klackon to leaderless extinction/long-term chaos while they raised a new queen (assuming they had that capability) or orbitally bombard them into extinction.

On the one hand, hooking a conquered population on drugs to make them more pliant and manageable sounds like a drat warcrime, but on the other, the very physiology of the Klackon means any alternative means of preserving and integrating them would be essentially similar. It could've easily become a creepy slavery narrative but that was averted in favor of a different and less explored moral ambiguities.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

One thing I'm uncertain if people got during the original MoO2 LP- I hinted based on the history that both the Klackons and Elerians were byproducts of Antaran biosciences. The Klackon species empathy, in my mind, was designed as a trial run for Antaran loyalty conditioning which was built into Antaran physiology... Species empathy wasn't fixed on a specific leader figure like Antaran loyalty conditioning, but it gave Antaran biologists a trial run in building overwhelming motivation systems directly into the psychology of a sapient species.

E: was there anybody who recalls suspecting anything like that based on my hinting? I'll freely confess I left this subtle and implied, but I'm curious if it wasn't so subtle it was entirely lost.

I think it was a pretty clear subtext (heck, from the in-game lore, I think it's likely canon).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
But hey in this future universe we can perhaps be long past such inequality and instead be concerned about the bear menace.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Optronics, colonize, wait for Chevalier, end the witless derail.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

Revolts, if only to give them a taste of their own medicine. We're in this for the long haul, taking an extra few turns to set up a revolt that will screw them for 20 is worth it.

Let's do this. It'll have a much bigger impact on the Bulrathi's ability to wage war.

e. though in retrospect, authorizing terrorism feels really awful :cripes:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Aerdan posted:

Their leadership did it to our leadership, so it is fair and proper for their leadership to have a taste of their own medicine. Viva la revolución!

If only the consequences could be limited to the nefarious elements of Bulrathi leadership. I'm actually not a big fan of lex talionis, but I do have a bias towards expedience. Viva la revolución!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
A twenty-year productivity stoppage is basically a whole new lost generation, which is depressing. That's what our Earth is going through.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'd definitely read space scifi from Nweis.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

"Outer space is larger than a loaf of bread."

... probably not what you were looking for.

Well it'd be truth in advertising at least. Wouldn't you be disappointed if outer space was actually smaller than your average loaf of wonderbread?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Electromagnetic Refraction and then Adv Gov.

240 Million at least, but also:

my dad posted:

Proposal: Delay the ground assault on Bulra. The Bulrathi military on their homeworld is likely at its peak numbers and performance already, and having our frigate in orbit will be sufficiently disrupting to any sort of orbital military buildup. Let us instead conquer their other worlds before they get a chance to get a proper military force up and running. This may save tens of millions of both human and bulrathi lives. (Also, it would make the final assault on Bulra suitably climactic)

Blockade Bulra and raid.

Station IIA on Korga as a countermeasure.

Name Etana Thule.

Let's ease off war footing gently and start taking care of our pollution problems.

Prioritize colonization of Tyrannus Prime and name it Shen Kuo for a 9th century Song scholar who studied mining, prospecting, and mineralogy.

Put a space port on Earth. We're still at war and need to finance it, plus the income can help our home's recovery.

Militarize our scouts.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok, fine, we'll all pretend that you don't have an entire folder of lovingly written and illustrated Bulrathi slash fic. Just know that you can lie to us, but you can't lie to yourself.

They're called bears for a reason.

Happy near years, thread! Let's liberate the whole galaxy!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Bears go after the bee larvae not the honey, dammit :mad: I'm triggered etc

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

AJ_Impy posted:

Ground Weapons.. Humans and the liberated, or as I like to think of them Dancing Bulra need technological superiority to roust the enemy.

Physics because science is the path to victory.

Bulra Last. I have long been a proponent of this strategy. We are patient, and we are thorough. Systematically liberate all Imperial exclaves and integrate them. Raise the Dancing Bulra children to be loyal, and open up recruitment into our armed forces as a prosperous career path for them. Wipe out the Imperial menace by liberating Bulra with its own sons and daughters in the vanguard. Unlike the vile Imperials, we do not act in shadow to murder innocents and cripple worlds. We are open, we are absolutely clear, and we will not forget what they did to us, and continue to try to do. This is the price of their crimes, the eradication of their entire so-called empire, and their disgusted descendants purging their regime in our name and on our behalf.

Yea on transports.

Scouting, for the Imperials are not the sum total of what is out there.

Aye

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
C. It's too early to pick sides, but not too early to profit.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

This. Also, Hug-A-Bug Day WILL be instituted.

The hugging will continue until unification is achieved.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Trade and non-aggression with the Psilon Quanta. I'm wary of a full alliance with a polity we've not had much experience with yet.

Embed some espionage agents in the Darloks' sphere of influence, but make similar diplomatic overtures with the Cabal in the meantime.

Ignore the Mrrshan posturing. They're territorial, we already knew that. If they're this aggressive about uncolonized space, though, we're almost inevitably going to end up at war with them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

For the record, the 'claimed system' in question isn't uncolonised space- it has two Mrrshan colonies but no border defenses yet. They really do have an interest in preventing intrusion there.

Good to know! I was hoping it was already colonized so we aren't just dealing with super aggressive posturing. Just normal defensiveness, then.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

my dad posted:

They're too mysterious. What if they're bears in disguise? :ninja:

Hm. I amend my previous vote: burn them all.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Which, burning them all at the grill stake or spying while smiling?

Either is good. :chef:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Between a fractious civil society that's open about its makeup and a closed, secretive one, I'd prefer to orient ourselves in a more friendly posture toward the Meklar. Even if they're less physically like us, their hierarchy sounds more similar. If trade and friendly diplomacy aren't possible with both sides, favor the Meklar.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Aliens: if we can't trade with them, burn 'em.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Now that I'm not phone-postin', I can fully appreciate Nweis's bejeweled sea horse avatar. That critter looks like it got rammed through every jewelry segment of QVC ever.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
This all started with that drat Sony gravity kitten video...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Do the Klackons have similar gender statistics & role breakdowns as eusocial Terran insects like ants and honeybees (loads of female workers per colony, significantly fewer unproductive male drones), or aside from the queenship, are males and females similarly situated in the economy and society at large?

(okay i love bees n keep bees and dammit we only ever meet alien ants, not enough alien bees)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

I question the likelihood of a species developing with such a point of failure. Terrestrial bees, for example, can quickly replace a lost queen by changing the diet of an immature female, but a Klackon group that lost most of its males would be stuck with a large gender imbalance until they could breed more.

That's honestly how it works for the standard honeybee, more or less. The main difference is just that female workers can lay unfertilized eggs which will become drones if their egg-laying behavior isn't suppressed by the queen's pheromones. Every winter, all drones are evicted from hives and left to die. The period in which a fertilized worker egg can be reared into a queen replacement is actually quite brief, too, but the queen issue isn't a problem for the Klackons, it seems, since the "queenship" is actually about telepathic potential, not about reproductive development.

:bees:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I believe bumblebees are the same way. There's a sliding scale between the sort of sophisticated hive organism you see with honeybees to primitively eusocial and down to solo populations. It's neat stuff.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So humans are the universe's comedy option! Nice.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That's some good fluff! I hope we can be good buds with the Meklar even if our cyber isn't big and beautiful enough.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

No, that's legitimate. We actually have two more or less legitimate wars we can join after the Bulrathi right now- attempting to preserve Mrrshan territorial integrity or attempting to deal with the shifty-as-Hell Darlok guys who ended up sinking the Benjamin Hornigold in a 'misunderstanding'.

What? We lost a boat?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

We lost a ship, yes. One of our three military scouts tried to wander into a Darlok border system so we had a fix on a planet to spy on, and the Darloks basically hit it with absolutely everything. We got the fix we needed, though.

:psyduck: I can't believe I missed that. At least we got the fix.

e. Nazin! :tinfoil:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
In the words of byob, Psilons have good spops and head bigs. I hope we don't have to go to war with the grays. Perhaps Human reproductive health and neonatal care technologies will form the basis of healthy trade with the Quanta!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

A small child's version of "spots," I think? But it's really hard to be sure. Nice spops and head bigs has a certain euphony though, very appealing.

Does this edition of MoO have the diplometers that approximate other empires' disposition toward yours? I relied on that pretty heavily in vanilla MoO2.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Dammit! :cripes:

How are the people of our Republic responding to the expansion of our galactic social scene? We've just introduced ourselves to several other guests with varying degrees of awkwardness. Media, entertainment, and conspiracy theorists should be making serious hay right now, and I imagine that despite our current war footing, we're also looking at some interesting economic responses to contact with potential new markets.

Also, do we have any ideas about our new acquaintances' outlooks on the Bulrathi, if they've made contact yet? We've had some propagandizing by the Darloks against their foes in an effort to influence our diplomancing, but we haven't talked about attempting the same w/r/t our own foes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Stormgear posted:

Oh whoops. I didn't realize that the images in the top left were OUR diplomatic relations. Well, regardless! They seem to like us well enough if that bar in the bottom right isn't lying

Our societies seem to have some significant commonalities, not the least of which is governance styles. It's nice to finally meet aliens who aren't committed to monarchism or feudalism or whatever the gently caress the Darlok are doing (totalitarianism).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

What would you describe what the Meklars as doing? The Meklars are sort of weird.

The Meklar and the Klackon are definitely hierarchical, but for them it seems like less of a choice and more like an organizational imperative due to their physiology. Nevertheless, it's a clash with the level of independent determination that seems to characterize our own beloved Republic.

The Meklar are especially interesting because they are the product of literal intelligent design. They've found their current arrangements to be among their most efficient options. They obviously have a higher degree of individualism than the Klackon, but the presence of physically fixed, immobile Meklar with a significantly higher degree of, we'll say, processing power have rendered those individuals part of a governing hierarchy by accident of "birth." Individual Meklar might submit requests and data to the Combine, but this isn't so different from the master/slave model of communication in computing.

One supposes we should be grateful that the Meklar are more similar to us than the Geth of Mass Effect, but we shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that the Meklar are like us and value individuality and democracy like we do.

(Oh god, is representative pic now racist against computermen?)

• Locked thread