Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

The way I understood the write-up, one other aspect of this is that mobile meklar have the option of emigrating if they don't like how their current local supercomputer overlord is doing things.

Excepting that the overlords do appear to be networked, so it seems unlikely that you could ever really escape some disliked aspect of an overlord's governance. Moreover, as a mobile platform, you will never join the Combine leadership, or be able to choose a mobile peer to join said leadership. This was for you determined upon your creation.

(Not actually trying to be ornery, it's just that this is a very different situation from the sorts of politics and political theories our species and similar lifeforms espouse, because the Meklar are actually radically different. And it's pretty cool.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Well...

This is a process that can easily extend to new planets.

The networking of the fixed intellects is a response to the application of the governance of one or another fixed intellect to all occupiable space on the planet, suggesting a "territoriality" that the unoccupied space of new worlds could indeed provide an escape from. In addition, the nature of the network is a council of independent entities, meaning that distinctions between the regimes of different fixed intelligences are possible. This provides another form of emigration if roughing it on a new world isn't feasible or desirable.

That escape would seem temporary at best, unless the Meklar individualists wanted to emigrate to join an entirely different species' alien society. That'd probably be a possibility in the fiction, but I don't think this game really models migration like that. Could be wrong though!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Now, escaping to the frontier may be a temporary solution, since, after all, frontiers don't remain frontiers forever. That said, sometimes you're a bot that wants nothing more than to go someplace where you can farm your own land in peace without any busybody to tell you what to do. (And let's face it, the idea of robots heading out to the frontier to claim their own little patch of farmland is hilarious.)

What is also true is that your ordinary mobile Meklar worker has no chance of rising to be a ruler in their society, unlike in Human society, because of the natural tendency for leadership to flow to the AI Overlords. And on some levels, that may well be a problem for some people looking in to Meklar society.

That's p much what I was trying to get at, thanks! :shobon:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:ohdear: Dare we ask what kind of connection you've been using lately?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Computing technology followed by engineering, in my book. We're quite prosperous for now, but the way to lead the future is through science, and more of it. If we're to maintain an edge in our quadrant, we need the most advanced technology. The Darlok's stealth capabilities clearly outstrip ours -- and that, plus their aggressive posturing and use of slang during diplomatic transmissions :argh: -- mean they're a threat, even if war has whittled them down.

Pursue economic ties with the Meklar; intelligence indicates that their price for a nonaggression pact is rather dear at the moment. No doubt they're concerned about having an unknown quantity at their back, but aren't terribly concerned about the Republic shifting to face them on war-footing while we're still mopping up the Bulrathi.

Pursue a NAP with the Mrrshan. Is there any way we could intervene in their dispute with the Klackon and negotiate a peace?

Slow fleet expansion seems wise at this time. If prudent, perhaps we might retrofit some of the older ships in the fleet.

Yea to Paradise warehouse. Construct spaceports on Niflheim and Babylon. Better cashflow can finance future terraforming efforts.

Nay on a new Hornigold. The last one wasn't robust enough to escape encounters with unfriendly forces -- let's not doom more capable explorers until we can create a faster, better armored class of frigate.

Technological trade is good, but let's try to minimize handing over militarized techs. Who knows where they'll end up after we pass them into alien hands?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Some more checking indicates that the demands for technology exchanges from Meklars and Psilons right now are overpriced. I don't think they're that interested in trading, and we will not be pursuing technology trades at this time. Instead, what they want for giving us their charts: the Meklar Combine wants information on establishing an espionage training facility, while the FPQ wants that and our own charts.

Not only no to both, but hell no, in my opinion.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Let's initiate a non-aggression pact with the Mrrshan. Giving them the means to research stronger defenses is alright in my book. In the longer term, I would like to pursue alliance with them, but I don't want to be pulled into a war with the Klackon while we've yet to finish off the Bulrathi resistance.

Likewise, let us have peace with the Darlok, but remain vigilant; further provocation from that quarter invites an aggressive response, so let us be prepared.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Y'all bloodthirsty, dang.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Personally, I'm always paranoid that whatever I trade to a loser faction will quickly be traded around the entire galaxy, like mono. I'm a little surprised everyone's going knives out on the Darlok while expressing reluctance at entering a two-front war to support the Mrrshan. That's just confusing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Stephen9001 posted:

I must say, I'm surprised so many people are ignoring the legendary planet we found, even if it is guarded by some kind of legendary ship.

Well, we weren't asked to vote on that. :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
But rock milk is a thing! :haw:

okay it doesn't come from tits, let alone alien silicoid tits, and slapping tits on everything is pretty much the hallmark of lazy rear end design choices

e. like the artist who did these must have business cards that say why yes i am the one who put tits on a rock, hire me, i can give anything cleavage

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Voting for Harrison. Chokepoint control with advanced military vessels is better than filling our fleet up with weak scouts in the same vein as the Hornigold.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

I'll note that the specific technical benefit we get from the Harrison Doctrine will be tying up our factory ships, rather than our planetary production and money- we can get significantly strengthened system perimeter defenses. What the Bauer Doctrine gets us, technologically, is an empire-unique structure that halves our command point cost for light ships.

So in the end, it's a defensive versus offensive war bonus. Since I'm a pacem type, I'm sticking with Harrison.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Friend Commuter posted:

The Relentless Blob.

The Maw? Kirby?

This pink text looks new, Friend Computer...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Friend Commuter posted:

I've had it since about 2010, you might be confusing me with someone else.

I must be! I usually read this LP on the awful app, after all.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

my dad posted:

For one, he's friend comMuter, not comPuter. :v:

For some reason, I thought he was a fellow glorious namechange thread gambler.

And Friend Computer is real, and powerful, and my friend. As long as I don't touch anything marked above infrared.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
République. And we use metric.

Having the species name in the polity name is awkward, but it helps remember who the various alien factions are. Shorthand like that is necessary for players who can't or don't memorize fluff in 4X games.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Formal motion in the Senate and Popular Assembly to rename the 'Human Republic' to the 'Solar Republic'. Please vote yea or nay.

Variants of the motion propose prefixing the 'Solar Republic' with the adjectives 'Free' or 'United'. Please vote for no prefix, Free, or United.

Yay to the Free Solar Republic.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Switching my vote to Solar Popular Front.

:c00lbutt:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Nevets posted:

Just be thankful you can't import flags into this game...

You just opened up flagchat. How could you?!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The joke is only in machine readable format.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Nice to read another lore update! O questions or pithy comments from this corner though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Delayed a bit longer than I'd like by insomnia and sleep deprivation once again rearing its ugly head. Needless to say, writing well while sleep deprived is difficult. I'll try and get the update up first half of next week, circumstances permitting.

I feel you on this. Get some rest and we will all still be here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

Love it, nice to see we're back in the game.

Also, I know you mean us when you say the Free Republic, but the first few times I did a double-take and thought you were talking about :freep:

Same, and it gave me a giggle.

Can't wait to see the second half of this update after such an action packed start!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Industrial tech, borrow from Psilons, don't meddle with Porov's population, prioritize agriculture, prioritize stock exchanges, build both DNA sniffers, loot and leave Udun, wait for the Bulra space elevator, defensive fleet deployment, new ship design contest.

I'd like to see more efforts to get closer to the Psilon Quanta.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. I'm uneasy about gifting them the Academy. Can we get a sense of how close the Psilons may be to gaining it on their own? Busting through Klackon space is an unappetizing prospect at this juncture.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Do we have an Iroquois?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm just no good at ship design. I like naming them. :ohdear:

Research light attack craft and approve in addition to a Republic craft the dual designs proposed by MDDB.

Clearly I'm also partial to naming a Republic-class ship Iroquois if the opportunity arises.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Rick_Hunter posted:

RSS Chattel Slavery, RSS War On Drugs, RSS Vietnam. I like where this is going.

RSS The Internet.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Snail mucus has been a thing in cosmetics for about 20 years, I think. In the last few years it's become more known in Western cosmetics too, to the point that I can pick it up at CVS.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Just been dreading dealing with the images, but I guess I should buckle down and deal with it. The sheer number of screenshots I have to sift through, even leaving aside planetary reports, makes it a long, tedious chore. Sorry about that. You know, on further consideration, maybe that might mean it's time to reduce the timeframe of updates, if the number of screenshots is killing me.

I feel you. An update for me can involve going through 150 - 300+ screenshots and capturing text and that gets pretty daunting. I changed my process after my first LP to kinda cut back and make the updates easier on me and less insanely lengthy for readers. :words:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Do something you enjoy. If you're tired of MoO, well, you've played quite a bit of it! No one would blame you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Siegkrow posted:

What would lead a society to a point that Maximum Hitler isn't only an option but the morally expected solution to every problem?

WH40k, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Siegkrow posted:

Man I dunno, I'd much prefer a Pure Neis LP.

Same, actually. It's also harder to bring succession games to a satisfying close.

• Locked thread