Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

AJ_Impy posted:

Star base, biology, civilian.

We shall bring peace to the stars. If that doesn't work, we shall Bring Peace to the stars.

Word.

Star base, biology, civilian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Maybe this time we can get around to actually instituting Hug-a-Bug Day.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

My thinking as someone who does not know anything about this game or its mechanics was that the civilian scouts are (presumably?) cheaper and faster to get out, and I'd rather make actual warships later on than jeopardize our expansion to churn out half-assed scout-destroyers that suck at both scouting and fighting and are going to be obsolete soon anyway. Now again, I have never played this game and might be totally wrong about how poo poo works in it, but the logic certainly isn't 'screw the military' :v:

Besides, fluff-wise? Why would the Republic go to the trouble of arming space exploration craft because aliens might be real? Seems fairly unlikely after all. Let's concern ourselves with the Borg or whatever after we have some reason to suspect they aren't just science fiction.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Labs, Domes

Arbalest class Frigate
Standard Military Drive and armor (10p)
Augmented Engines (10p)
4 Nuclear Missiles (16p)
2 Point Defense Laser (2p)

38 points total.

A bunch of missiles and a bit of point defense to fill the gaps, good engines for FASTNESS and kiting. I'd rather have specialized vessels that do the thing they're supposed to do well rather than have some miss-match multitasker with bombs and missiles and lasers that sucks at both fighting and bombing. Of course, I know nothing about this game so my build might be dumb and wrong so eh.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Archer is a decent choice, but it could fit one more PD laser, couldn't it? So why not chuck that in?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

To make it clear, my vote is still in favor of my own design (the Arbalest), in case there's confusion on that.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Xenocides seems to actually know the game mechanics, so I wonder why he chose not to put the better engines on his craft even though they are supposed to maintain long distance? Is in-battle maneuvering not so important then? Gimme some sweet starship build strats.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

That still seems like a fairly poor reason to waste space on what are (to my understanding) surface attack modules on a ship designed to be used against other ships? In what sort of situation would the Federation go 'oh man I wish we had had the foresight to arm ourselves for bombing immobile population centers'. In what sort of situation would not having taken the bombs be bad for us?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Farms, Economics, Colony Ship, Tarazad Prime

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

DO NOT finish research because even though I hate leaving techs unfinished, we apparently really don't need this one quite yet. Start Private Funding because c'mon this is a Nweis LP :v:

Yay on another ship because it's my design and I got to toot my own horn.
Nay on spy agency because we should probably do some economy stuff first.

The fleet should probably be broken up for now to scout.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 8, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Based on this new info I have changed my vote on Biotech from 'Finish' to 'Do not finish', and edited my post accordingly.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I dislike the nuMoO Silicoids because their advisor has rocktits. loving rocktits. What the hell?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

Aggressive, yes (the shield-piercing weapons are real nice if you can convince the enemy to use shields :v: ), Sunrise (but I'd go with Bobbin's RNG suggestion if he has one. :v: ), Segel, genetic engineering, basic data-gathering

I too, find it most convenient to just do what My Dad thinks best. Mainly because our opinions seem to be mostly the same :v:

So yeah, what he said.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

We definitely should have specialized PD boats I think. Well, at least I personally enjoy highly specialized units. And as much as I like MASSIVE MISSILE BARRAGES, my dad makes mass drivers sound like the boring and stable option and who am I to question him. And since I'd rather see this to the end game I think our military should take the boring but stable route.

Thus: Just do what my dad says

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

Xenobiotics - Take the agricultural applications. (In my personal opinion, reducing the number of pops that need to work on food on a developed planet achieves the same effect as the research boost, while also letting them do other things if needs be)
Neutron Collider followed by the renewer. Feel free to take a pop off research to speed up production. The renewer should balance things out once built. Ideally, this is where we'll build up our fleets, and once pollution gets too high, build the data center and switch to research mode.
COLONY SHIP - Now that we have a half-decent fleet, we must not allow the colony gap to grow too wide.

Sure, seems smart.

Also, liking New Babylon.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Ah, that's a shame. At least there's the other thread still for me to get my Nweis fix :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah, that's good to hear.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

I'd ask for a quick refresher on habitable planet. Not much, just name, planet traits, and at the end a map with them visibly marked somehow.

As for the rest:

Toxic processor first - the less polution we make now, the longer we'll be able to drive the industry on Paradise into overdrive when the time comes.
Nay on investments to Sunrise. Encouraging the government to refocus the existing population on agriculture and urban development to help quicken population growth. (which is to say, keep both pops on "food" until a 3rd pop grows)
Wait for Paradise shipyards to become fully operational. - Our existing fleet is good enough for defensive action. For a fleet capable of more, we'll need more than half-measures.
Low-key industrial espionage throughout the Empire, and yea on countermeasures to protect Earth and Paradise after anti-pollution measures are in place. Infiltration of developing planets doesn't pose as much of a threat to the Republic.

e:

Advanced fusion and genetic mutation with intelligence augmentations. (guys? 4X games. free science boost to all our pops. this is BIG)
If we pick the gravity thingie, go with industrial applications.

This

Also, Paladius Prime as next colony.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

If we do reasearch Artificial Gravity, take the industrial bonus. Something tells me it might have a more powerful overall effect than the science boost.

Other than that, no strong opinions.

This.

Friend Commuter posted:

Cybertechnics and repair drones, our research is pretty solid at the moment and we can always use more industry.
Let it slide, their spying is probably not worth starting trouble over.
Industrial structures first, it seems really premature to build fortifications before factories on a planet which isn't at the front line (there is definitely no risk of something coming through that red node line and trashing Sunrise, no siree).

Also this.

Fleets to Warikomi and Tarazad.

Also, could we maybe make a single scout and try to sneak it to scout the galaxy or something. Wondering who else is here in addition to the Bulrathi.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Ah. Well, disregard that then :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Guys this probably isn't the right thread for this just saying.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

my dad posted:

Advanced government - Now is certainly the right time for the Republic to start implementing certain changes
240 million - There is no such thing as overkill when fighting Bulrathi
Blockade Bulra and press the advantage further. - The sooner we can contain the Bulrathi, the easier the conquest will be.
Kalov - The advantages of potentially speeding up the end of the war are more significant than the disadvantages resulting from Bulrathi ops on Korga.
New Jamaica - The only real option for Etana. :v:
Hybrid - Keep the industrial focus of the war economy, but redirect production towards colony ships instead.
Tyrannus followed by Marindi. Get that production and cash rolling in.
Spaceport - Since we're not going to be focusing on research for a bit longer, money is better.
Military scouts - I think we've learned the lesson about being unprepared for danger.

Proposal: Delay the ground assault on Bulra. The Bulrathi military on their homeworld is likely at its peak numbers and performance already, and having our frigate in orbit will be sufficiently disrupting to any sort of orbital military buildup. Let us instead conquer their other worlds before they get a chance to get a proper military force up and running. This may save tens of millions of both human and bulrathi lives. (Also, it would make the final assault on Bulra suitably climactic)

Sure.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

As for the Stars in Shadow stuff, I'll cast my vote in favor of Humanity too.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

C, for now. Would rather not commit just yet.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Darloks are ringwraiths, the Psilons are greys with their spacechips all being actual flying saucers.

The answer is clear: All pop culture authors of the past were actually Orionian exiles in disguise, trying to hint us of what is to come :tinfoil:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Glad to see this thing get back on track!

Also, F, because:

Mzbundifund posted:

Their racial strengths are perfectly suited to hit our racial weaknesses.

Sorry Darloks, it's nothing personal :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

You've written about Bulrathi taking up Human culture, but is there any cultural exchange going the other way? Are schools on Human planets teaching the Bulrathi language(s)? Have Bulrathi animist missionaries had much success? Is there a Bulrathi Fine Arts Society on Earth?

Bearaboos :v:

But yeah, liking the fluff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I mean, I've got this whole thing bookmarked, so I can just read the update when/if it happens, no big deal.

Basically, I enjoy reading your threads and would like an update, but there's little point in forcing it if you aren't feeling it anymore. The enjoyment of random goons is probably one of the least worthy things to grit your teeth for in the entire world after all :v:

• Locked thread