Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I just found the thread, and the unfortunate news. I can agree that the AI is balls to the walls on building frigates at the start. I had a game where I started near the Klackon and even rushing my own frigates they declared war. I'd raced to destroyer tech so I held them off but this was my 6th game in a row on learning the basic AI quirks.

Also spies suck for the humans. A successful early game was ruined by Alkari spies causing Earth itself to descend into uprisings for 20 turns, which crippled my economy. Do not underestimate the power of espionage in this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Unfortunately as the humans the AI are super eager to spy on you and less eager to stop...I've had the same experiences playing as the nice humans.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I haven't played the newer builds, but the AI seemed to place so much importance on spying that they never accepted demands to stop spying even from a player far, far stronger than them. They could at least just lie and continue to do it or something. I just stopped bothering to demand it and invade civilisations that were sabotaging me for reasons i presume will be similar to what we see next update.

Plus the malus to espionage for the nice humans makes them irresistible targets for the AI.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Interesting. I note that your take on the Meklar deviates from the original lore for conquer the galaxy. In the game's lore the precursors are kept around in what are essentially zoos or reservations, because the Meklar neural net is so old, complicated and organically evolved that they can't rule out that there are failsafes or triggers that will occur if their creators are fully dead. I think that is what is supposed to explain the food cost?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I took it out back when the game was in EA, about 2/3rds of the way through, and it required a number of Titan class vessels to match its fleet power. You could probably manage it if there's a smart way to mitigate its death ray weapons but I do not know if there is. I do not play these with optimal fleet composition and strategy anyway. A lot may have changed since then and after release as well.

Neither of those spoilers are anything new to people who played MoO2, but in case people are new to the franchise I will leave them as a surprise.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The Stellaris update is pretty good and I've been distracted by it a lot myself. So I'm not going to fault you for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I enjoyed the LP, but personally was disinterested in the background roleplaying posts. I just skipped over them, and other people seemed to enjoy them.

If you are burned out, then you should probably move on. You do not owe anyone on the internet, and this was a thing you did of your own volition, probably because you enjoyed doing it. If you no longer enjoy it, the answer is clear. It takes time and effort, and you will just spend that unhappy and resenting that you cannot do something else you enjoy.

Do what you want to do, you will be happier and it will be better to read.

• Locked thread