Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Whoo! Nice series of posts.

Vote for Ground Weapons research. We are in a position where we are going to be continuing a grinding offensive to the Bulrathi homeworlds and likely engaging in protracted combat over the next decades. Anything that can help our troopers go toe to toe with the Bulrathi dug into thier homeworlds and dug into fortresses around the planet helps save lives and secure the area faster.

Long term reseach prefer Physics. The Bulrathi don't have any major fleet elements left and most of their remaining known space is under blockade so we don't have to worry particularly much on their rallying further fleet elements. Improved communication and drive systems will help us patrol our border and otherwise make more efficient use of comm relays, which will help command and control and the mobilization of ships from system to system. We have technological superiority, it's time to look to the future - helpin to further cement our logistical backbone with improved commuication techs will help us continue superiority whereas more direct military technological improvements are not an immeidate necessity, so the sooner we can get those out of the way the longer term we can help our fleet's backbone.

While Planetary Engineering is an amazing concept, for the moment we have not hit the limits of worlds within our territory that are good for colonization, as well as those worlds built by such methods are likely to rquire significant terraforming in order to be habitable up to norms, so it is not an immediate priority to establish.

Voting for Yay on the buildup of more troops. The war is going to be a slog but until the Bulrathi are fully occupied we have an enemy at our backs, and we as Humanity will not stand for acts of genocide. The sooner we can occupy thier worlds and pacify them the sooner humanity can sleep peacefully

Also I vote for Attack on Bulrath as our main priority as soon as we have sufficient military personnel and forces to occupy the homeworld. Doing so will break the back ofthe Bulrathi economy and production and disrupt their spy operations. Otherwise, we are looking at multiple decades as we grind our way through thier remaining planets and then a buildup of forces for the invasion. Occupation, while rough, will be necessary and the sooner it is done the sooner the remaining Bulrathi can be neutralized with their greatest industrial and population center under our control. Otherwise, it is left to the discretion of the General Staff as to whether it is more feasible to grind down other Bulrathi planets first that are lightly guarded in order to cut down on thier reserve assets before a long assault on Bulra commences.

Also I vote the assignment of our newest frigate for Scouting duties. We've been caughtu p in this war for so long and we all want it ended But that doesn't mena we can't sojourn to the stars to look for future races and planets o fpromise. That will give future generations a reminder of what humanity stands for, and hopefully help boost civilian morale that there are better things ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
these are real fun convos to read, just from the perspective as a sci-fi fan and getting input as to the races and their fluff. Thanks much for them!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Economics research though I will accede to the preferences of the council in prioritizing. I feel that it is better to otherwise continue to build up our industry. The boom of trade can help much for us to grow our industrial base.

I abstain on the matters of local economic priorities and leave those to the planetary governors to consider what is best for construction.

I also vote for Full Speed fleet construction. While we cannot guarantee that any of the species we have made contactw tih will engage in hostilties, we have gone from being in contact with but one species to many more. Several of them are at war and we are new on the stage of galactic geopolitics and the wider galactic community, and it is probable that our actions will be taken as choosing sides and thus are almost guaranteed to antagonize onr party or the other. As such a full strength fleet and expansion and upgrades as necessary should be done, particularly aswe have a high economic boost from trade with seeral of them. The time to prepare for the future is here while we slowly assimilate the Bulrathi and have generally favorable relations and an industrial surplus.

While hostilities are far from guaranteed, it is likely that contactw ith one species that is in a state of conflict will antagonize others, and in our pursuit of open borders and trade we will make multiple adversaries. So unless we choose to prioritize we are likely to have issues along in the coming decades. The time to build up in case is now, while we are able and we can afford it and not have to engage in a crash program later at the cost of society later.

As a very wise man from the past once said that even his enemies acknowledged was so overpowering a persona that death could only take him in his sleep, rather than when he was awake for he would have made a fight of it, we must be ready to speak softly, yet carry a big stick.

I vote For a frigate being assigned to anti pirate duties. It is likely that given our sudden rush of trading we will encounter more so best to tkae them out before they can be a threat to our tradelanes.

I vote in favor for the Trade for Star Charts with as many species as possible so long as the cost is not too high, and while I am fine with sharing charts of Humanity's territory, I would prefer not to trade research for it. Trade incenties are quite agreeable in turn hwoever.

On foreign policy I would advise the Pursuit of non aggression pacts as much as possible and the trade for as many technologies as possible that can be realistically attained and seem to be equivalent deals. We should not in turn trade higher functioned research for things lower unless what we can attain is of great benefit to humanity.

Also I would remind fellow Councilors that many of the geo-political entities of the galaxy are powers we are relatively new to and are otherwise more acclimated than ourselves with galactic politics, given previously our only extended contact with a race beyond our own stellar borders was the Bulrathi. We will learn the state of affairs slowly, but we are aware that at least two wars are going on among the species we are in contact with, and those species in turn take umbrage and hostility at /any/ sort of diplomatic exchange with species they are hostile to. Trade or interactions with one seem to come at the price of umbrage wtih the other. We don't want to get drawn into anything extended.

Also our long term plans should be limited. We're still at war, though the Bulrathi are losing it will take us decades, if not centuries to fully conquer and then in turn integrate thier population to the Republic and then modernize the worlds that we have occupied as in turn they will be our citizens as well and in the future generations of them will be under our protection the same as our own worlds and humanity.

I would urge our Councilors to in turn think long and hard about the potential for humanity to be drawn into another cnoflict, particularly one where we are just coming onto the galactic stage and the reprecussions for future generations to be at war the same way we have for the last decades. We should be able to protect ourselves but we should also try and avoid taking sides. We will defend ourselves and we will not be ambushed or caught helpless again, but we should also avoid moves that will draw us into conflict.

Particularly as I would in turn note to fellow Councilors for the Mrrshan, despite the friendliness and genteelty of the race, they seem to be losing the war if their homeworld is under occupation. If we ally ourselves with them or give them extended aid it would give us little but being drawn into a war with another major galactic power that has likely a far greater industrial, military, and technological base than what humanity has encountered so far, and could last for centuries. While the Mrrshans have done nothing to earn our ire other than defending thier own territory, which in turn we have respected, I will note the same of the Klackon. Do we want to be drawn into a greater war than any we have faced in defense of the side that is possibly losing, in turn bringing aggression upon another race that has done us no wrong beyond our prefence for the Mrrshan aesthetically?

The Darlok border should be guarded and I would prioritize non-aggression pacts with them and the Meklar so long as it does not come at a substantial cost. Both races seem aggressive so the sooner we can ensure safety of our borders means the sooner we have more diplomatic freedom that we do not have to worry on any steps we take with either power in turn leading to hostilities with the other. I would take non-aggression pacts wherever we could reasonably get them while continuing with our own military buildup, reasonable trade of technologies for whatever we can gain so long as the trades are not heavily unbalanced, and engage in trade with any who will take us. At the same time, note that the galaxy has gotten much bigger. We do not just have our own litle corner of it anymore, so we should take heed and watch our borders.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Harrison. A spread out fleet is more flexible, but also requires a larger fleet. Economically and technologically, we might not be up to supporting this. Strongpoints are useful due to the nature of stellar waypoints - border worlds can be fortified, chokepoints maintained along our more defensible worlds. In the event of war, the fleet is mobilized along chokepoints as rally points and they are used as hubs. Jump Gates can also be established at defensive strongpoints to allow for quicker mobilization of the fleet from one world to another in the event of a crisis. Also voting for Objective.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Like your take on the Darloks. Very interesting xenobiological and xenocultural writeup. Of course, the question comes into play as to how exactly this information was gathered then..

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Well, there are organised crime syndicates...

Works for me. Just so long as any sort of intermediary was not named Harry Mudd when it came to passing along said info...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
GLORIOUS

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Life comes first and am sorry you had things.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Always great to see LP stuff from you nweis, you're an amazing writer and I do love your Master of Orion stories.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Gah sorry Nweis. That's no f un.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! This is bad! Final victory against the Bears has been accomplished and the gradual assimilation process of them in the coming decades shall hopefully allow for a peaceful cohabitation and thier full membership within the Republic.

Economic and industrialization should continue, and our efforts on rebuilding infrastructure in annexed regions should be prioritized. Colonial efforts should be prioritized at more habitable worlds that can be used to help expand, however I'll defer to the High Council on priority targets.

Gravitational Physics would be useful as our next research target. That will allow us to take large scale masses in space to render them habitable - in the long term, this will allow us to make our own planets that with terraforming can be populated, which over the centuries will be the solution to any future overpopulation issues and allow expansion via internal colonizing rather than risk agggressive actions at other major extragalactic powres as we can shift population to planets within our own space.

Militarily we should put our fleet in strategic locations internally. It's unlikely that another major war will spring out of nowhere given our economic and research strength, and not placing major fleet elements at border stations will avoid anything that might gie other stellar empires the impression we are massing for a preemptive assault. while at the same time Jump Gates at strategic locations will allow quick redeployment to any futuer threatened sectors. Also this will hopefully enable us to have the majority of our fleet upgraded to the latest technology relatively simply spread throughout systems. Also border defense stations should be constructed if only to ensure that we have speed bumps in place for an unexpected act of aggression.

Diplomatically? Speak softly and carry a big stick. Ensure our planets have counter-intelligence available, if necessary have passive infiltration networks in other major galactic powers while remembering eveyrone spies, and treat any brutal acts against us as acts of war justification. For those who will trade with us, do so, but do not engage ni aggressive acts wtihout justification. Open trade should be encouraged and exchange wtih those willing pending major acst of aggression - so long as we maintain a strong front I find it doubtful anyone would truly try and attack us. I would prefer to avoid full military alliances without necessity and justification provoked under acts of aggression -we want peace and trade, we don't want to be obligated to go to war with someone that could make for good neighbors, and we want to honor our obligations otherwise.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Would you favor concluding a non-aggression agreement with the Meklar Combine as things stand? The price, to remind you, is us transferring the Moon Laboratory technology we got from the Mrrshan to them.

I am not in favor of giving them the tech. We can always re-propose later when we're on better standing and fortify the border. But I don't want to gie htem a major research leg up when our advantage atm is technological.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Artificer posted:

But they will not catch up at this point barring a Black Swan Event at which point we're probably already in deep poo poo. Your choice though.

In that case, changing my vote. Approve on giving them the tech in return for a Non-Aggression pact.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Artificer posted:

I'm dumb. I don't know the state of the Meklar technology. I thought it was referring to the Myyrshans.

Ahh, no problem *laugh* But the Meklar I think have an industrial base on par/superior to the Human Republic so if they get on par with us with tech they can probably make things more. So if they get an advantage they can bring it more to bear on us.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
D. We value peace and trade, but we should be pragmatic. If those who would be adversaries approach us, we will deal with them honestly - but also we should not pursue peace at all costs and pay the costs of it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Great job so far, looking forwards to see how the prosecution of Operation Secret Breaker goes. Or whatever we call the war against the Darloks.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! More writing on this.

I'm interested in something on the thoughts of how earth went to war with the Darloks - what the justification for it was or the general strategic plans.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice summation nweis. And sounds like we got our nosies bloodied. Love the lore you do for things like these!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Artificer posted:

But what about the cats!!

The Mrrshans plot to collect souls for Great Cthulhu obviously.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Rather liked. Gave me an image of the Russian Civil War and the disparate resistances that fought one another almost as much as they did the Entente.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

Would YOU try to take a giant bear-man's gun away from him?

Is the Bear-Man named Fozzie and is the gun one of his jokes?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... I like. More things in life need to be settled MGS style.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Whoo! Can't wait to see it!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ow, messy fight. Looks like we're not going to hold the system anytime soon. How much of the spacefleet do we have in a positoin to be reinforcements or otherwise be in a position to hold the line? It might be worth it to try and garrison the border to have a fallback positoin for our defenders.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Take all the time you need nweis. Your updates are always worth it. Also, any reason you went for Galactic Economics as opposed to City Planning? I always found the populatoin production boost that City Planning gave to be better than GE. Well, it lead to huge pollution problems as my prodution tended to go so high up that I had to manually transfer folks on every planet around to not crank it so high..

And it likely the Darloks are going to bombard the planet to extermination or re-invade?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

nweismuller posted:

It enables economic victory, and I like the cash boost. I know extra population cap is powerful, but ehhhhh.

Edit: As for the Darlok plans, I have no real idea yet, but we shall doubtless see soon. If they sterilise their own planet, that would, ironically, mean that our invasion was still effective in badly hurting the Darlok Administration.

Fair enough. I tend to like the production boost it gives you as it lets even smaller planets get a lot better, which makes even small but Rich/Ultra Rich planets much more viable later game. Just different playstyle.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Unfortunately I will agree with the vote to remove the remainder of the space fleet from occupied Darlok territory. We're going to just lose more ships against frigates, our main fleet has been brutalized and isin little shape for further engagement. I vote for getting them to the first port we have along the border that has appropriate facilities for quick repair and refit. For now, we should be defensive until we can reinforce and block off Darlok advances into our own space. Our occupation force should be given orders to hold out for as long as possible and fight by the civilized rules of warfare, but under the understanding that reinforcement will not be coming anytime soon.

If ever.

Witha full scale shooting war with the Darloks on we should ready ourselves for a long war, and increase counterintelligence correspondingly. Any intelligence assets we have in Darlok space should be given instructions to go to hdie until we can make use of them and not risk exposure as we try and prevent Darlok iniltration of our own society, given the casualties from cross border infiltrators during the Bulrathi war.

We won't be going on the offensive anytime soon. We have to build up our fleet and ready to fight off attacks and hope the Meklars can pick up the slack.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oneof the things I liked initially that I think htey phased out in NuMoo was you could directly assign folks to clearing pollution as an emergency method of when the planet got too polluted. I think that was removed a few updates ago. But, I think hte mechanic works as it limits how much you can just make super productoin planets to pump out things endlessly without making your planet an ecological wasteland which hurts things and production quite badly. So as a game balance thing I can see why it went and it incentivizes making pollution control structures and research rather than just presuming some of your industry each turn is used toclean it up.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting in Favor of the Republic class Battleship. Also unfortunately I must call for a full evacuation of our fleet assets from the edge of Darlok space back to our home systems to await reinforcements. And for an evacuation with as much as possible is from the occupied system pending our displaying an ability to build up defenses again.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lovely, we're part of a war where all sides seem quite willing to use indiscriminate planetary bombardment of non-military civilian installations as par for course. What in general is our military position on orbital bombardments? Purely blockade of planets once planetary defenses have been neutralized pending full planetary assault and orbital support? Or limited strikes?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
GOt it, so for RP purposes we presume that limited orbital support is given to landing troops or engaged in combat against surface military installations, but otherwise the 'bombard' option is never taken while we're blockading. Thanks nweis!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lovely, sounds like the planet isn't going to be much use as more than an emergency forward base for the next several years in the system at least until the population can be properly integrated. I take it that with the general opening of supply lines there's no issues at least with starvation and the planet at least has sufficient industrial cetners left to be capable of a modicum of production to support the forward fleet operations for the moment and isn't at risk of immediate Darlok counterattack?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice. So with the (general) presumed destrction of the majority of the Darlok fleet assets and the Meklar (and I believe the Mrrshan) operating i the theatre, is the Republi Space Force wantingto press on with offensive operations now that rienforcemetns can be brought up and local space is generally secure in the area, or wanting to wait and hold for further operational assets tocome online?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ouch. So we hold the line for now. Suppose once the local sector is secure and the Meklar have deployed further forwards we can always drop colony ships into the area...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
This si glorious. I wholeheartedly approve

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Now I want to see a thread aobut 'dneiable operations' for the Human Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Take your time - this is all about your own inspiration. I love how well you do world building and cultures on here. That's amazing and what I've enjoyed about all yoru LP's, particularly your master of orion ones.

• Locked thread