Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Wisconsin has been seemingly more dirty for the past few years

Merry Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

everyone ITT is cool and good :cheers:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

I also hope we all got better referees

Not empty quoting.

Nope, totally not

we won't :smith:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan got bodied by Tech last night and blew a 4-1 lead against the world's worst MSU team today in the GLI

so business as usual for the 16-17 Michigan Wolverines

Edit: Michigan won in OT after three MSU guys conspired to own-goal

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 31, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

Michigan got bodied by Tech last night and blew a 4-1 lead against the world's worst MSU team today in the GLI

so business as usual for the 16-17 Michigan Wolverines

Edit: Michigan won in OT after three MSU guys conspired to own-goal

How the hell do you own-goal three times?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sparty would, but I meant the OT own-goal went in off the efforts of three separate MSU guys

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
As bad as Michigan will be, it's still not as bad as Michigan State.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan is so relentlessly horrible defensively that I wonder if we wasted a year of Zach Werenski's life. Surely he learned nothing usable last year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

Michigan is so relentlessly horrible defensively that I wonder if we wasted a year of Zach Werenski's life. Surely he learned nothing usable last year.

Look at how long it took Jack Johnson to unlearn things.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Western won the GLI in overtime btw

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We beat RIT wooo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Neodoomium posted:

Western won the GLI in overtime btw

Do they also row the boat?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

no

you cannot row boats on frozen water

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
No. 1 Minnesota-Duluth – was idle
No. 2 Denver – tied, lost to Providence
No. 3 Penn State – was idle
No. 4 Harvard – defeated Rennselaer
No. 5 Boston University – was idle
No. 6 Boston College – lost to No. 14 Quinnipiac, tied Ferris State
No. 7 Massachusetts-Lowell – defeated Colgate, defeated Dartmouth
No. 8 North Dakota – defeated No. 10 Union
No. 9 Ohio State – lost to Miami
No. 10 Union – lost to No. 8 North Dakota
No. 11 Minnesota – defeated Mercyhurst, defeated Massachusetts
No. 12 Notre Dame – swept Alaska
No. 13 Vermont – swept Bentley
No. 14 Quinnipiac – defeated No. 6 Boston College, lost to Robert Morris
No. 15 Bemidji State – split with Alaska-Anchorage
No. 16 Western Michigan – defeated Michigan State, defeated Michigan Tech
No. 17 St. Lawrence – was idle
No. 18 St. Cloud State – lost to Connecticut, defeated Arizona State
No. 19 Minnesota State – was idle
No. 20 Omaha – swept Lake Superior State

But what you really care about is Hamline University's Pipers, idle since a 5-4 OT loss to Wis-Eau Claire on 12/5 return to action against Wis-Stout on Friday. Live video here.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
ohio state is in the top 10 cancel the rest of the season

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Teemu Pokemon posted:

ohio state is in the top 10 cancel the rest of the season

Those rankings are from the December 19th poll. Losing to Miami RedHawks Men's Hockey (NCAA Division I Overall Record: 5-8-5) probably won't keep them in the top ten for long.

Actually looking at their schedule and results makes me wonder how the hell that happened in the first place. They've only played three games against ranked opponents: they shocked (3)Denver in a tune up game gone wrong back on October 7th, and split a pair with (11)Minnesota. How does taking 4 points total out of back to back series with Robert Morris & Connecticut merit a 14 ranking?

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 2, 2017

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

The January 2nd poll was released while I was typing. posted:

1 Minnesota-Duluth
2 Penn State
3 Denver
4 Harvard
5 Boston University
6 Massachusetts-Lowell
7 North Dakota
8 Boston College
9 Minnesota
10 Union
11 Ohio State
12 Notre Dame
13 Vermont
14 Western Michigan
15 Quinnipiac
16 St. Lawrence
17 Bemidji State
18 Omaha
19 Minnesota State
20 St. Cloud State

So losing one game to Miami is enough to knock you down 2 places.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those polls also don't mean poo poo until like February either. poo poo, the B1G I think just finally got started in their conference play.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Stitecin posted:

So losing one game to Miami is enough to knock you down 2 places.

lmao PSU #2

This owns

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Close the season down, declare no champion

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

DJExile posted:

Those polls also don't mean poo poo until like February either. poo poo, the B1G I think just finally got started in their conference play.

It could be argued that they never mean poo poo, but since we follow a dumb bad sport that only plays two games per week we need something to argue about and make fun of each other's teams in regards to.

It's like watching the NFL. They "play" 4 quarters at 15 minutes each, but the ball is only live for around 11 minutes total. USCHO rankings are to college hockey what cutaways to the quarterback's wife are to NFL games.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I think we should still use the thread but it would be cool for media sharing or half-assed GDTs since we have one thread, so I created a discord channel that we can use. Its what the kids use.

code:
https://discord.gg/RgSnR
Put the link in your browser. I'm guessing most have discord. It's also a certified Hamline discussion zone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think we should still use the thread but it would be cool for media sharing or half-assed GDTs since we have one thread, so I created a discord channel that we can use. Its what the kids use.

code:
https://discord.gg/RgSnR
Put the link in your browser. I'm guessing most have discord. It's also a certified Hamline discussion zone.

Invite expired/invalid. :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG hosts Bemidji this week, except games are Thursday night and Friday night. No idea why. BG goes out to Mankato to play Minn-State the following weekend and Bemidji takes next weekend off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We're losing late to Bemidji on a night at home when none of the students are back from winter break yet

why the gently caress was this game scheduled for tonight

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

We're losing late to Bemidji on a night at home when none of the students are back from winter break yet

why the gently caress was this game scheduled for tonight

I think the answer lays in the first part of your post

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Invite should never expire my rear end. I'll figure it out.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

https://discord.gg/e8twFxF

This link never expires. Hopefully.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yeah in on this

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

DJExile posted:

Yeah NoDak, Minnesota and Wisconsin all have great rivalries with one-another, especially NoDak/Minn. There's bad fuckin' blood there.

I've been watching a lot of UND videos on YouTube to get psyched for hockey tonight. I found this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFGJ6QwD-o

Interesting for a couple of reasons. First, Greg Shepard, who we can all agree is a piece of poo poo, was in the orange sleeves. Second it's from either the 1992-93 or 93-94 seasons (the only years Akil Adams played for the Sioux). I was trying to narrow it down, so I checked Dan Woog Brian Bonin, Justin McHugh, but they all played both of those seasons. (I was using Gophers because it's easier to check names off of jerseys.) Then I got to 4m50s and Scott Bell goes after Don Riendeau. Who cares, right? Wrong. Scott Bell was coach of none other than the Hamline Pipers from 2005-2011, leading them to win almost 48% of their games. He also played 9 games of pro roller hockey in 1996 (his +/- wasn't so hot at -9).

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 7, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I do not like Christian Frey

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stitecin posted:

I've been watching a lot of UND videos on YouTube to get psyched for hockey tonight. I found this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFGJ6QwD-o

Interesting for a couple of reasons. First, Greg Shepard, who we can all agree is a piece of poo poo, was in the orange sleeves.

Ah... the days of the heckler at the Badger Hockey Showdown constantly yelling out that he sucked. Good times :allears:

e: He's head of WCHA officiating now :magical:

iospace fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 7, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami came from behind twice and beat St. Cloud 3-2 in OT, maybe they're not so bad (they are)

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Finally got to sit down and watch the game. The loving nchc.tv site was kind enough to inform me that it ends up 9-1 good guys. Thanks fuckwits.

Also, Boeser is back? He missed World Juniors due to wrist surgery but he scored with 16:50 left of the 1st.

Edit: Now 2-0 with 11:18 left. I should be stoked, gently caress this lovely streaming service.

Double Edit: Power play goal for Jost with 8:43 to go in the first, 3-0 good guys. UNO hasn't pressured, but at this point if they go on a 5 on 3 power play I won't give a poo poo. College Hockey is a dumb thing to care about.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 7, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
OSU does nothing on 1:30 of 5 on 3 and PSU promptly follows up by wasting a major.

go away Frey

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OSU does nothing on 1:30 of 5 on 3 and PSU promptly follows up by wasting a major.

go away Frey

College_hockey.jpg

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami sweeps St. Cloud with a nice 4-1 win and this is when my hopes get up thinking that maybe this is the start of a reverse Rico Swoon (Rico Boon????) that would lead them to a good run in the NCHC tournament and a national bid but deep in my heart I know they're going to get demolished by NoDak next week and I'll be right back to despondency

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
No. 1 Minnesota-Duluth – tied, lost to Colorado College

No. 2 Denver – swept Arizona State

No. 3 Penn State – split with No. 11 Ohio State

No. 4 Harvard – defeated No. 15 Quinnipiac, defeated Princeton

No. 5 Boston University – defeated No. 10 Union, defeated Massachusetts

No. 6 Massachusetts-Lowell – defeated Renssealer (Jan. 3), defeated New Hampshire

No. 7 North Dakota – swept No. 18 Omaha

No. 8 Boston College – defeated Providence

No. 9 Minnesota – was idle

No. 10 Union – lost to No. 5 Boston University

No. 11 Ohio State – split with No. 2 Penn State

No. 12 Notre Dame – split with Michigan Tech

No. 13 Vermont – defeated No. 16 St. Lawrence (Jan. 3), defeated Northeastern

No. 14 Western Michigan – was idle

No. 15 Quinnipiac – lost to No. 4 Harvard, defeated Dartmouth

No. 16 St. Lawrence – lost to No. 13 Vermont (Jan. 3), tied and defeated Canisius

No. 17 Bemidji State – split with Bowling Green

No. 18 Omaha – swept by No. 7 North Dakota

No. 19 Minnesota State – swept Alabama-Huntsville

No. 20 St. Cloud State – swept by Miami

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Oh hey, cool, a college hockey thread. Not sure why I didn't look for this earlier.

If anyone lives in/near Pittsburgh and hasn't made it to a Three Rivers Classic it's always a pretty good time. Me and a few buddies (they're RIT alumni) go to it every year and for <$40 for four games in an NHL arena ya can't beat it. Sadly, my alma mater PSU didn't play this year, but RMU won thanks to dumb seeding so that was cool. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
After splitting with Ohio St, PSU

-moves up to #1 in the pairwise
-moves down from 2 to 4 in the human poll despite picking up more first place votes than last week

...ok?

e: I'm really salty about Harvard ranked 2nd

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 10, 2017

• Locked thread