Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy gently caress Notre Dame did it :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Dammit, PSU. :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Welp :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Christ denver is impressive. I see why they're the overall #1

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That is a hell of a penalty.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Too bad PSU's power play is a wet fart

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That hit on Plant was horrible, what the gently caress guys.

Edit: Reviewed and no penalty at all? Jesus.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

College Hockey is trash and this Frozen Four is poop from a butt

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Tyson Jost signed with the Avalanche. gently caress.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/29/north-dakota-to-cut-womens-hockey/

North Dakota is cutting women's hockey due to budget issues :(

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

DJExile posted:

http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/29/north-dakota-to-cut-womens-hockey/

North Dakota is cutting women's hockey due to budget issues :(

With UND I always assume everyone is going to sue each other and we won't know what is going to happen for a couple of years. A Title IX suit may save the program, but by then they'll have run off a generation of top tier players.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Make Miami Women's D1 give them all of NoDak's players problem solved

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Will Butcher, Mike Vecchione, Zach Aston-Reese are your Hobey Hattrick

I was certain the voters would have voted in Anders Bjork after his regionals performance

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Holy poo poo guys, I found out something amazing today. My whole life I thought my uncle studied Law at Minnesota. Turns out it was on in Minnesota.

MY UNCLE WENT TO HAMLINE.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

Holy poo poo guys, I found out something amazing today. My whole life I thought my uncle studied Law at Minnesota. Turns out it was on in Minnesota.

:stare::stare::stare:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

thread royalty

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Infidel Castro posted:

:worship:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Infidel Castro posted:

The law school merged with another law school so your uncle is only half-Hamline

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I just found this USCHO Pro Signings page. I knew Tucker Poolman wasn't coming back for his Senior year, but I didn't realize it was official.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nebraska-Omaha has a new coach

CHN posted:

Nebraska-Omaha has selected Mike Gabinet, an alumnus and recent assistant coach, as the third head coach in its program's history. He replaces Dean Blais, who stepped down last month after eight seasons.

“We undertook an extensive search, and Mike rose to the top of our candidate pool because of his detailed, comprehensive approach to creating a sustainable culture of excellence,” UNO athletic director Trev Alberts said in a statement. “He has the passion and understanding of what it means to be a Maverick, and he has the ability to institute the kind of structure and attention to detail that will allow us to be successful in college hockey’s toughest conference.

“It also was very important to us to get the feedback from the players and to a man, they all endorsed Mike as the kind of coach who is a great teacher and someone who could help our program take the next step.”

Gabinet rejoined the program as an assistant coach last year, after a stint as head coach of Northern Alberta. At 35 years old, he becomes the youngest active head coach in Division I.

“I came to Omaha last year because of my passion for this program and the great experience I had here as a student-athlete," Gabinet said. "That’s one of the reasons why my wife and I are looking forward to raising our family here.

“The Omaha community has been a great supporter of our program, and I’m looking forward to building that bond with our fans and my fellow alumni, many of whom still live in the area. I’m amazed by how far UNO has come since my playing days and I’m excited about where we’re going.”

Gabinet played for Nebraska-Omaha in the early stages of the program's history, and was recruited by the team's first head coach, Mike Kemp, who is now the school's associate athletic director.

“I have known Mike since he was a junior player in Canada, and I always admired him as a character person who was a great leader and someone who cared about his teammates," Kemp said. "As a player, he analyzed what we did and made respectful suggestions. He was a student of the game, even as a student-athlete.

“As I followed his career, I saw the same traits. He has a great mind for the game and is a great on-ice teacher. That was evident in our power play this year. Mike coached our power play unit to be the best in the NCHC this past season, one year after it was ranked seventh out of eight teams. In fact, it was best power play we’ve had since we led the nation in 2007-08."

With NAIT, Gabinet won the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference Championship in 2015-16 with a 36-0 record, only the second time in 51 years that a team had finished undefeated in the conference. He was named ACAC Coach of the Year and became the first rookie head coach to guide his team to an undefeated season in Canadian college hockey history.

Prior to that, he was an associate coach at NAIT for three seasons.

A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Gabinet played defense for the Mavericks from 2000-04 and was an alternate captain as a senior. In 130 career games, he scored six goals and 41 assists for 47 points.

Gabinet was a draft pick of the Los Angeles Kings in 2001 and played professionally in the American Hockey League, the ECHL and in Europe before turning to coaching in 2012.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: IT ALL :siren:

:siren: COMES DOWN :siren:

:siren: TO THIS :siren:

Are you ready for bad commentary and worse fanbases? Are you ready for some forwards to be burning down the house? Are you ready to hear John Buccigross speaking in tongues? Are you ready to see Notre Dame on a road to nowhere?

TOMORROW!!!

6:00PM Eastern Time - ESPN2 - Minnesota Duluth vs. Harvard
There's a chance this becomes an offensive explosion. Duluth's offense has really woken up in the last few weeks, and Harvard scores a shitload of goals. Duluth has great depth, with 7 players over 20 points. Defenseman Carson Soucy was hurt against WMU a month ago and would be a huge help if he can return. Harvard now averages 4.14 Goals Per Game, and a terrifying power play at 26.5%. They are very much for real. Duluth is a physical team and will no doubt try to slow Harvard down but God help them if they get into penalty trouble. This should be an awesome game.

9:30PM (or whenever the previous game ends) - ESPN2 - Notre Dame vs. Denver
Give Notre Dame a lot of credit for getting the monkey off their back and beating UMass-Lowell, who had destroyed them 5-1 just a couple weeks ago in the Hockey East semifinals. They've been getting fantastic goaltending from Petersen and suffice it to say they will have no pressure on them. Anders Bjork has had a fantastic tournament and is a great set-up man. On the other side, Denver has looked drat near unstoppable. Jim Montgomery has done a phenomenal job improving this team in the last few years and they have weapons everywhere now. They scored 6 goals against a very good Penn State team on only 28 shots. Two of their top scorers (Troy Terry and Dylan Gambrell) are only sophomores. They only allow 1.83 goals against per game. Denver has to be favored here, but Jackson is a hell of a coach and there is a lot of experience in this ND squad. I expect Denver to win but ND ought to give them hell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll only be able to catch the late game, but I hope ND gets poo poo on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

good title change :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Harvard Minn-DUluth may go OT :munch:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OR MAYBE NOT :vince:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CROSSBAR SAVES DULUTH

WHAT A FINISH

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Denver/ND isn't starting until just before 10PM Eastern, oh jeez

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'M JOHN BUCCIGROSS AND I'M SO EXCITED TO BE HERE

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Notre Dame lost.

good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Man this is completely Denver's tournament to lose. They out-shot ND 42-17. Their cycle/weave looks fantastic. They jumped on every single miscue and turnover ND committed.

Duluth did a hell of a job to just grind the gently caress out of Harvard's offense, and despite Harvard getting 40 shots on goal, very few of them were that good until the flurry at the end. I give them a puncher's chance against Denver, but goddamn DU is just on a whole different level right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: FINALS! :siren:

Minnesota Duluth vs. Denver!
8PM! ESPN!

A drat near unstoppable offense vs. a grind heavy, suffocating forecheck! A bunch of terrible commentary from John Buccigross! Barry Melrose not giving a drat to cover for him! The end to a terrible college hockey season!

There's not a lot of reason to think Denver should blow this. Their offense has looked incredible and they destroyed Notre Dame off turnovers and odd man rushes. Duluth has gotten better as the tournament has gone on and has no problem playing tight checking games. They'll have to be drat near perfect at it to pull this off, but stranger things have happened.

I'll be at a concert so I can't see this but ALL Y'ALL ENJOY IT

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
That ankle snapped in half. :stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

marsisol posted:

That ankle snapped in half. :stare:

:stonk:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
game took ten years off my life

worth it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Great f-bomb dropped by Denver's goalie in the interview afterwards

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Red Berenson is finally retiring.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

this thread is now the neodoominum celebration thread

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Even other wings fans are getting the things they want and I'm here waiting to die

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Lol if Michigan hires anyone other than Mel Pearson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lol if Michigan hires anyone other than Mel Pearson

I don't know...Houghton is a pretty sweet place to live.

• Locked thread