Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

After splitting with Ohio St, PSU

-moves up to #1 in the pairwise
-moves down from 2 to 4 in the human poll despite picking up more first place votes than last week

...ok?

e: I'm really salty about Harvard ranked 2nd

I wasn't sold on PSU being ranked so high, but they dominated Ohio State all weekend in their barn, and would have swept without some outrageous OSU goalie magic. I'm starting to believe that we might actually be this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
you thought we were good before? wait until we beat ohio state

- college hockey in tyool 2017 kill me pls

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

This article is dumb and bad because it gives me hope that Miami might actually be good as soon as next season.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/01/11_team_of_the_week_miami.php

quote:

Miami, with an incoming class of 14 freshmen, may have entered the 2016-17 season with plenty of question marks, but now, the RedHawks are beginning to find their answers — riding a four-game winning streak following their weekend sweep of St. Cloud State.

On the strength of timely goals and strong special teams play, the RedHawks beat the Huskies, 3-2, in overtime on Friday and completed the sweep on Saturday with a 4-1 win.

As a result, Miami is CHN's Team of the Week.

For the RedHawks, this season has certainly been one of believing in a process — and growth, too, for one of the youngest teams in college hockey.

Those 14 freshmen? Playing in arguably the toughest conference in college hockey, they've been forced to mature — and adapt — quickly.

"It's a development," sophomore Josh Melnick said. "We were a young team coming into the season. But we've played 20 games now, and we don't really look at anyone on our team as a freshmen anymore. Those guys have stepped into bigger roles. It's a learning experience. There were times earlier in the season when we were up on teams going into the third, and we let things slip a little. We learned from those mistakes."

Not only has Miami learned from those mistakes, Enrico Blasi's team, of late, has been defined by one notable strength — improving as each game moves along. Against Colorado College on Dec. 10, the RedHawks turned a 2-0 deficit in the third period into a 3-2 overtime win. Against Ohio State on New Year's Eve, Miami scored four unanswered goals in the final eight minutes of the third period to turn a 3-2 deficit into a 6-2 win.

The third period, simply, has belonged to Miami, and that theme continued in its weekend sweep of St. Cloud State.

"It comes from hard work ethic," Melnick said. "We talk a lot about the process as a team and as a program. From day one when I came in as a freshman last season, coaches have stressed third periods to us. We like to think of ourselves as a third period team. We always want to dominate in the third. We definitely work for that and we condition well. I like to think we're one of the best conditioned teams in the country, and I see that paying off.

"A huge part of our game that we focus on is the shift after goals. Whether it's a goal for or a goal against — the next shift coming out, putting pressure on the other team so that they can't get any momentum going."

In Friday's overtime win, Melnick scored an extra-attacker power-play goal with less than a minute to play, collecting a loose puck to the left of Huskies goaltender Jeff Smith to fire into an open net. That tied the game, 2-2, and in overtime — still on the power play thanks to a major penalty against St. Cloud — Melnick scored again, this time from the doorstep.

"It was pretty special," said Melnick, who has scored in four straight. "Earlier in the game, in the second period, I had a chance, wide open in front of the goalie, and I missed the net. So I got a little bit down on myself for missing that one.

"It was a good feeling. I'm definitely happy to be putting pucks in the back of the net."

Saturday was more of the same — again, Miami dominating the third period (outscoring St. Cloud, 3-1, in the final 20 minutes) and again, dominating special teams play (scoring a power play goal, a shorthanded goal, and killing all six of St. Cloud's power play attempts).

Melnick scored three power play goals during the weekend sweep.

"We've been working on it a lot in practice, on different scenarios," he said. "Right now, I'm working mostly down low on the power play. You have Anthony Louis, Louis Belpedio and Kiefer Sherwood up top moving the puck, and all three of those guys can shoot. For me, it's about standing in front of the net, picking up rebounds, and making myself available when I can."

Now, Miami travels to Grand Forks, N.D., this weekend to play the reigning national champion Fighting Hawks. It's the start of a stretch in which the RedHawks play six of their next eight games on the road.

It'll be yet another test for a team that's starting to show its ability to play well in the games's most crucial moments, for a team that is starting to excel at its special teams play — indeed, for this young Miami team, that's growing up fast.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

This article is dumb and bad because it gives me hope that Miami might actually be good as soon as next season.

All teams are bad and you are a fool for having hope

e: hamline

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ncaa hamline thread 2016-17: every hamiline hamline hamline

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Teemu Pokemon posted:

ncaa hamline thread 2016-17: every hamiline hamline hamline

The Hamline starting Hamline up, brought to you by Hamline.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

The answer to all your questions is simultaneously "the ncaa sucks" and "hamline"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Hamline
Хамлине
המלין
ιαμλιν (There isn't an H in Greek, so I got the next closest thing)
𒄩𒀞𒇷𒉈

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

D E H U M A N I Z E Y O U R S E L F A N D F A C E T O H A M L I N E

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fake polls think there are teams better than the Hamline Pipers! Sad!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/MiamiOH_Hockey/status/819729710691348480

:gbsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Czarnik is such a tiny man. That C is the size of his drat head

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I never realized that Kuraly is bigger than Coleman until I saw them standing side by side. Coleman was always known as the power forward and Kuraly probably was the most offensively skilled of the three. Seeing how big he is and how good he was in college, gives me hope that he might actually be decent in the pros. It's too bad the Caps are playing Oates mk.2 Hockey right now and can't score.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Fire Ken Holland
Fire Jim Delany
Hire Mel Pearson

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

gently caress north dakota :yosbutt:

Miami wins 6-3 after 5 unanswered 3rd period goals :stare:

e: 6 goals by 6 different players; Belpedio 1g2a, Louis 1g1a, Melnick and Sherwood 2a each

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PSU beats Sparty 5-2. Game was a lot closer than the score indicated. Minney kept Sparty it a lot and PSU could never get a solid rhythm going

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Miami wins 6-3 after 5 unanswered 3rd period goals :stare:

Anthony Louis, Carson Meyer, Karch Bachman, Ryan Siroky and Louie Belpedio lit up the scoreboard one-by-one, chasing starting goalie Cam Johnson and handing the defending national champions their first loss when leading after two periods since Nov. 1, 2013.

Full respect, Miami looked better than a team down 3-1 before they went on their scoring tear. North Dakota can't let off the gas with a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period against a team with as many talented players as Miami. I think UND should come out hitting tomorrow. Knocking Miami around will put them off their game and spark some support from the home crowd.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

How is Hamline doing?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Hamtastic

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

1, 2, and 3 all lost last night

Cool

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

1, 2, and 3 all lost last night

Cool

:omarcomin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We split on the road with Mankato. I'll take that

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
penn state is not a number 4 team, what kind of ranking is that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Top Hats Monthly posted:

you're right, we're number one

kiss the Shots, baby

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
At least Michigan State is holding up the obligation of the State teams to be at the bottom of the conference

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Split @ ND ain't so bad, hopefully we don't go 0-4-2 against Omaha, UMD, and Western like we did last time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Top Hats Monthly posted:

1 Penn State (30) 16- 2-1 964

:smuggo:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

you're right, we're number one

kiss the Shots, baby
Oh dang, just saw the updated rankings. We Are, etc. :black101:

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
USCHO confirming what we've already known.

PSU #1

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wonder what round Smirnov gets taken in this year. Pittsburgh or Philly would both be great fits. Some teams must be kicking themselves for not floating a 7th on him last year.

also lol @ umass getting swept by ASU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PSU: 1 goal on 28 shots

OSU: 1 goal on 9 shots

Hurry up and graduate already Frey

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I was working last night and there was a guy at the Barclays in a Ryan Jones Kφlner Haie jersey :stare: :unsmith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

gently caress the loving shootout god drat I hate you so much Christian Frey

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

falcons bad

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

hawks win in 3x3 OT :\_:unsmith:_/

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Gordie Meyer covered the puck in the crease --> play on

the refs suck so much

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
Wooo Bucky Badger Bitch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tupacalypse posted:

Wooo Bucky Badger Bitch

Post the pics man!

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica

iospace posted:

Post the pics man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Split @ ND ain't so bad, hopefully we don't go 0-4-2 against Omaha, UMD, and Western like we did last time

0-1-1 so far :waycool:

• Locked thread