Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
In perpetuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

iospace posted:

For those of you who are Wisconsin and Minnesota fans

:chanpop:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

His reason for kicking us out was "no one wants you here" which is really funny to me in hindsight

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i would argue that penn state being good is actually strong evidence of college hockey's badness

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami scored 3 unanswered to win in OT and sweep CC because they are dumb and bad and need magic to beat the 2nd shittiest non-AHA team in the country

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Jesus of fuckin Christland

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

SHEEEEEEEGOS

SHEEEEEEEEGOS

SHEEEEEEEEGOS

trigger warning pls

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i imagine the plural of shegos to be shegii

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

Refchat: I got to chat with Keith Surgott before a game last year and he was really nice. He's also gigantic.

E:

angry rico best rico only rico

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ohio state is in the top 10 cancel the rest of the season

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami came from behind twice and beat St. Cloud 3-2 in OT, maybe they're not so bad (they are)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami sweeps St. Cloud with a nice 4-1 win and this is when my hopes get up thinking that maybe this is the start of a reverse Rico Swoon (Rico Boon????) that would lead them to a good run in the NCHC tournament and a national bid but deep in my heart I know they're going to get demolished by NoDak next week and I'll be right back to despondency

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

you thought we were good before? wait until we beat ohio state

- college hockey in tyool 2017 kill me pls

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

This article is dumb and bad because it gives me hope that Miami might actually be good as soon as next season.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/01/11_team_of_the_week_miami.php

quote:

Miami, with an incoming class of 14 freshmen, may have entered the 2016-17 season with plenty of question marks, but now, the RedHawks are beginning to find their answers — riding a four-game winning streak following their weekend sweep of St. Cloud State.

On the strength of timely goals and strong special teams play, the RedHawks beat the Huskies, 3-2, in overtime on Friday and completed the sweep on Saturday with a 4-1 win.

As a result, Miami is CHN's Team of the Week.

For the RedHawks, this season has certainly been one of believing in a process — and growth, too, for one of the youngest teams in college hockey.

Those 14 freshmen? Playing in arguably the toughest conference in college hockey, they've been forced to mature — and adapt — quickly.

"It's a development," sophomore Josh Melnick said. "We were a young team coming into the season. But we've played 20 games now, and we don't really look at anyone on our team as a freshmen anymore. Those guys have stepped into bigger roles. It's a learning experience. There were times earlier in the season when we were up on teams going into the third, and we let things slip a little. We learned from those mistakes."

Not only has Miami learned from those mistakes, Enrico Blasi's team, of late, has been defined by one notable strength — improving as each game moves along. Against Colorado College on Dec. 10, the RedHawks turned a 2-0 deficit in the third period into a 3-2 overtime win. Against Ohio State on New Year's Eve, Miami scored four unanswered goals in the final eight minutes of the third period to turn a 3-2 deficit into a 6-2 win.

The third period, simply, has belonged to Miami, and that theme continued in its weekend sweep of St. Cloud State.

"It comes from hard work ethic," Melnick said. "We talk a lot about the process as a team and as a program. From day one when I came in as a freshman last season, coaches have stressed third periods to us. We like to think of ourselves as a third period team. We always want to dominate in the third. We definitely work for that and we condition well. I like to think we're one of the best conditioned teams in the country, and I see that paying off.

"A huge part of our game that we focus on is the shift after goals. Whether it's a goal for or a goal against — the next shift coming out, putting pressure on the other team so that they can't get any momentum going."

In Friday's overtime win, Melnick scored an extra-attacker power-play goal with less than a minute to play, collecting a loose puck to the left of Huskies goaltender Jeff Smith to fire into an open net. That tied the game, 2-2, and in overtime — still on the power play thanks to a major penalty against St. Cloud — Melnick scored again, this time from the doorstep.

"It was pretty special," said Melnick, who has scored in four straight. "Earlier in the game, in the second period, I had a chance, wide open in front of the goalie, and I missed the net. So I got a little bit down on myself for missing that one.

"It was a good feeling. I'm definitely happy to be putting pucks in the back of the net."

Saturday was more of the same — again, Miami dominating the third period (outscoring St. Cloud, 3-1, in the final 20 minutes) and again, dominating special teams play (scoring a power play goal, a shorthanded goal, and killing all six of St. Cloud's power play attempts).

Melnick scored three power play goals during the weekend sweep.

"We've been working on it a lot in practice, on different scenarios," he said. "Right now, I'm working mostly down low on the power play. You have Anthony Louis, Louis Belpedio and Kiefer Sherwood up top moving the puck, and all three of those guys can shoot. For me, it's about standing in front of the net, picking up rebounds, and making myself available when I can."

Now, Miami travels to Grand Forks, N.D., this weekend to play the reigning national champion Fighting Hawks. It's the start of a stretch in which the RedHawks play six of their next eight games on the road.

It'll be yet another test for a team that's starting to show its ability to play well in the games's most crucial moments, for a team that is starting to excel at its special teams play — indeed, for this young Miami team, that's growing up fast.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ncaa hamline thread 2016-17: every hamiline hamline hamline

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fake polls think there are teams better than the Hamline Pipers! Sad!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/MiamiOH_Hockey/status/819729710691348480

:gbsmith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I never realized that Kuraly is bigger than Coleman until I saw them standing side by side. Coleman was always known as the power forward and Kuraly probably was the most offensively skilled of the three. Seeing how big he is and how good he was in college, gives me hope that he might actually be decent in the pros. It's too bad the Caps are playing Oates mk.2 Hockey right now and can't score.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

gently caress north dakota :yosbutt:

Miami wins 6-3 after 5 unanswered 3rd period goals :stare:

e: 6 goals by 6 different players; Belpedio 1g2a, Louis 1g1a, Melnick and Sherwood 2a each

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Hamtastic

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

1, 2, and 3 all lost last night

Cool

:omarcomin:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Split @ ND ain't so bad, hopefully we don't go 0-4-2 against Omaha, UMD, and Western like we did last time

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I was working last night and there was a guy at the Barclays in a Ryan Jones Kφlner Haie jersey :stare: :unsmith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

hawks win in 3x3 OT :\_:unsmith:_/

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Split @ ND ain't so bad, hopefully we don't go 0-4-2 against Omaha, UMD, and Western like we did last time

0-1-1 so far :waycool:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/MiamiOH_Hockey/status/824818293685026816

:unsmith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

0-2-1 so far :waycool:

:rip:

At least I have BU getting swept by Merrimack to sustain me.

Also

https://twitter.com/MiamiOH_Hockey/status/825170690538086400

And apparently WMU has a guy named Hugh McGing which is drat near Hamline Pipers excellently named things territory

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Quinnipiac outshot ASU 55-19 and lost 4-2 :rip:

Miami got outshot by WMU 47-19 and won 4-3 :aaaaa:

North Dakota outshot CC 45-20 and lost 3-0 :laugh:

e: for posterity, UMass outshot Maine 45-22 and lost 2-1

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 29, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

1-4-1 :suicide:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

Kick Ohio the State out of the country

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Another regional in Cincinnati, another dogshit 30+ overall Miami team