Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Serious moment here: Stay away from this movie if sexual assault/violence is a PTSD trigger, or if it's simply something you really don't want to see.

Trailer

US release: November 11, 2016

Back in the 90's, Paul Verhoeven seemingly got typecasted in Hollywood after directing Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers.

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

The story centers on Michele (Huppert), who seems indestructible. Head of a leading video game company, she brings the same ruthless attitude to her love life as to business. Being attacked in her home by an unknown assailant changes Michele's life forever. When she resolutely tracks the man down, they are both drawn into a curious and thrilling game that may, at any moment, spiral out of control.

LA Times posted:

The press notes for the film dryly say: "No American actress would take on a part this amoral." They may be right.

I saw Elle at Fantastic Fest last night and Michele is one of the strongest, yet utterly depraved, movie characters I've ever seen. Isabelle Huppert masterfully juggles victim and perpetrator, and her acting had me thinking back to Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood. Elle is brutal, thought-provoking, and of course, tough to watch. Strongly recommend it when wide release hits.

air- fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, paraphrasing my thread is one way to get my attention. :v: This movie looks incredible, and I'm happy to see Verheoven back in top form.

Yep, I took a look at your thread as inspiration for the OP. As I was walking out, I heard other fest attendees mentioning to also check out Belladonna of Sadness. This isn't so psychedelic/trippy though, it does so well at being real yet... some of the reactions of the protagonist are so out there, yet they make sense once you learn more about her character.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bump to mention that Elle was released last weekend!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I really liked Tim League's analysis for The Great Debate feature on Birth.Movies.Death:

quote:

The first title entered into The Great Debate's forum is Paul Verhoeven's powerful Elle. Alamo Drafthouse founder Tim League went up against Online Film Critics Society member Candice Frederick, and they each argued their points, Tim in support of Elle and Candice on the opposing side. Read their arguments (spoilers!) here.

After readers saw the film themselves, they weighed in with their own reviews in the comment section and voted in the poll. And Tim's defense of Elle was the overwhelming winner!

To me, this movie is a portrayal of a very hosed up woman. I also subscribe to the theory that Michele is a sociopath and she was the killer instead of her father.

Tim League posted:

This is not a film that is making a blanket statement about women or sexual assault. Instead Elle is a very particular portrait of the calm, cold and calculating mind of a sociopath. The traditional interpretation of Elle’s narrative is that Michele has these traits either because she has her father’s serial-killer DNA coursing through her veins or because her emotions were stripped or atrophied after witnessing such traumatic events as a child.

I would like to suggest that there is an even more sinister interpretation of Elle. Consider the possibility that Michele is in fact the serial killer, and that her father merely stumbled upon his daughter’s crimes when he returned from work. In order to protect his beloved daughter, he quickly devised a scheme to cover her tracks and take the blame himself. In this scenario, he strips down his daughter to her underwear to remove her bloody clothes and proceeds to gather all the furniture from the house and burn it in a pile. This isn’t a continuation of his demented crime spree, but a means to burn his daughter’s clothes and the murder weapon, forever hiding the evidence. He was the only witness.

The crux of this theory comes during Michele’s holiday dinner party. After a few glasses of wine, Michele loosens up and awkwardly describes in detail the day of the grisly murders. During her detailed account, she explains that in addition to the dozens of human bodies, there were also six cats, two dogs and a rabbit that were murdered, a detail that was never given to the press and thus never reported. She further explains that despite rumors at the time, she did not accompany her father during the murders but rather she greeted him at home after he was done with the spree. But if she was unaware of the killings until her father was hauled away by the police and the specifics of the canine/feline death were never reported, how would she know the details? The account does not add up. I firmly believe this moment was inserted into the narrative to allow for this possible alternate theory of Michele as the true criminal.

• Locked thread