Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"We know you killed the thing, but go kill it again. Cause, you know, reasons."

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Bourgogne_Fr@FarEast.gov
>Subject: (Notice) Intelligence Center Visit
>Body:
The director of the Intelligence Center and several
other members will visit today. They will chiefly be
in the laboratory and executive sections, as well as
the lobby. be mindful of your conduct so you do not
offend our guests.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "Everyone seems really on edge... Is it because the people from HQ are coming?"

Nodding, Ciel replies

: "The task force is set to arrive soon. I hear they're requisitioning a room in the executive section as a base. I guess this is it...

: "Everyone just headed out on the Aragami clean sweep. Time to roll out the red carpet and clear the streets for the arrival of our HQ VIPs."

: "I already hate those HQ big shots. You want the road clean, do it yourself! Right?! Of course there'll be Aragami on the road here! There's no way you can 'guarantee safe passage' nowadays! Man, I can't believe this. So lame.

Meanwhile in Dr. Sakaki's office.

: "HQ's task force are part of the Intelligence Center. They are here to research the Spiral Tree, but... I believe they also have plans for the Far East Branch. Most likely due to all the incidents we've had here..."

: "I'll do my best to cooperate with HQ on the Spiral Tree investigation, but... If they start making idiotic suggestions, I don't trust myself to keep my mouth shut."

: "A new psion has been spotted in the Old City. Blood has orders to clear it immediately. In addition, your presence will be required in the meeting room upon your return. Task force orders.

Similar in appearance to the Hannibal, this Aragami can loose supercharged electric attacks. Destroy this Spartacus. As with all psions, it should have some sort of special power. Other Aragami have been detected, including a pair of Yaksha Raja. Caution is advised."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: FENRIR INTELLIGENCE CENTER
>Subject: (Cc: All) New Intelligence Center
Assignment
>Body:
This is Director Isaac Feldman from the Fenrir HQ
Intelligence Center. Effective today, my staff and I
have been assigned to the Far East Branch to
investigate the appearance of the Spiral Tree. This
investigation currently has no timeframe, so I ask
for your understanding to ensure it goes as smoothly
as possible. This brief message also serves as our
introduction.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

Blood files out into the lobby, Gil takes up a terminal, while Ciel and Nana sit in the booth.

: "So the Spiral Tree is now 'sacred ground?' Only HQ has the influence to pull that off. Their imperious attitude sets my teeth on edge, but it's the right call. I'll cooperate...for now."

: "I was relieved when I saw that the IC task force seemed to understand about Julius. Corporal Livie has orders for us. Please chekc in with her."

: "Kim! Did you see Livie's armlet? Is it just me, or was it black?"

In the lounge, Tatsumi's practicing at the billiards, and Soma and Alisa are talking with one another. Mutsumi's sliding several plates of food Kota's way at the bar.

: "I went out of my way to make extra meals for the people from HQ, but they've got their own special rations. I wish they told me that earlier! I hope the leftovers last until tomorrow..."

: "Corpral Livie Collete is one of HQ's pet God Eaters. If they brought her here, she's got to have skills. From the looks of her, she's still in her teens. I'll have to sharpen up so I don't slow the young'uns down."

: "Regarding the Spiral Tree, both Cradle and the other units now follow the IC's orders. This will be hard on all of us, but it's for a good cause. Let's work hard for the sake of our research!"

: "The task force wants to use Friar as a frontline base. I hear they've already surreptitiously confiscated it. Feldman... I can't stand him."

You check in on Dr. Sakaki in his office.

: "I'll need you to operate under Director Feldman's orders more often from here on out. Please bear with it. This is all to assist our research on the Spiral Tree. ...However. This doesn't change the fact that he may still be planning something...unwise. If you noticed anything suspicious from him, let me know right away. I'm counting on you."

Outside his office, you see some of the IC officers in the hallway. One's guarding the IC outpost's door in the Far East, the other's in the hallway.

: "This room has been appropriated by the IC. Only the task force may use it."

(U: Same result, different face. Still can't enter the meeting room. :v: )

: "I've heard that the Far East Branch, out of all of Fenrir's subsidiaries, is the most innovative. I heard that they recently invented yet another new technology. What was it called? 'Blood Rage?' I'm very curious to see what sort of technology it uses. I'll have to question the lead engineer."

Livie strides out of the meeting room.

: "We've already met. I'm Corporal Livie Collete. IC. As was discussed, I'll be in command of your unit while I'm here. I'd like to start by seeing what you can do. We'll move out once you're ready. Shall we?"

She escorts you down to the front desk.

: "Blood has been assigned a new mission. We're counting on you.

A deusphage Aragami, an Aether, has appeared in the snowy wastes. Aether are fearsome enemies, specialized in a variety of Oracle and status attacks. This Aether is moving toward the temple ruins, where a number of small Aragami responses have been detected. Give it a ruinous greeting. Don't let the smaller ones get the drop on you."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The aether also seem to be dudes as opposed to the female sariel. Or at least they're missing the buxom chests :v:
And as far as territorial piss contests go, this one is fairly reasonable, though I expect the good IC head to lose our good will soon enough.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

The aether also seem to be dudes as opposed to the female sariel. Or at least they're missing the buxom chests :v:

Yeah, they're dude variant Sariels. Still Sariels though, so really friggin annoying to fight given Buster Blades and Variant Scythes.

Next update is gonna be a neat interlude to crawling around in anime apocalypse city ruins.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Daiba_Ka@NornOS.net
>Subject: status report
>Body:
that mission went super smooth thanks to you! but
lately things have been a bit tense at the far east
branch, haven't they? ic personnel are everywhere...
it's like we're being watched! i can't relax at all.
i'm thinking of giving them some snacks! maybe we can
get friendly over something tasty!

>Sender: Strasbourg_Em@NornOS.net
>Subject: The elegance of HQ aesthetics!
>Body:
Those understated blazers, dignified black ties,
crisply ironed shirts, and stately caps! Short
blades, signifying loyalty and ardent faith! Their
uniforms, steeped in a refined sense of purpose! And
their noble demeanor! Different from the pride of us
knights of the battlefield, but nonetheless filled
with confidence and strength. I cannot help but
recall my days at the Strasbourg estate, studying
with friends among the garden roses! Ah, the lovely
light of my child hood, shine your brilliance on me!

This continues on for several more pages.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "They're finally examining the area around the Tree. It's preliminary research for setting up that giant control system. I don't know if Julius will be able to hear us, but let's pay him a visit at the Tree nonetheless."

: "Livie and I both do our utmost to carry out orders. We have that in common. However, when I tried to talk to her about customizing bullets, she seemed completely indifferent."

: "Hmmm... What could it mean...? Livie, something's been bothering me about her..."

>What's wrong?

"I did some maintenance on her God Arc after the last mission. It was an impressive piece of work. It's been used extensively, but she's taken exquisite care of it. I found traces of severe damage all over it, too. Hits that very well should have killed its owner. Just who is this Livie?"

You enter the lounge, and pass by Haru.

: "Watch yourself around the IC goons. Rumor has it they've replaced entire branches on a whim. Get on their bad side and they'll make your life a living hell. That's why I don't play with the girls from HQ."

And you feel worse for it.

: "I guess Livie has gone through special ops training, huh? That's so awesome! I feel cooler just looking at her! I've made my decision! I'm giving her an oden sandwich!"

: "Who do these intel officers think they are? They're walking around our workshops like they own the places. They even posted a notice! 'Workshops off limits while under inspection.' The nerve of them!"

: "We're in charge of you from now on. You know what'll happen if you step out of line, don't you? I'll just pretend I didn't hear that outburst."

To your surprise, Livie silently shows up behind you.

: "Before people start getting any wild ideas, I want to make this clear. The IC is not your enemy. Our goal is to research the structure of the Spiral Tree and of the Devouring Apocalypse. No more, no less. People of the Far East Branch. All we ask is for you to do your jobs. We'll do ours." Turning to you "Your next mission is to investigate the perimeter of the Spiral Tree. I will accompany you."

: "The next mission's primary objective is to investigate sites for the control device for stabilizing Tree Oracle Cells. This will be your first mission on the outskirts of the Spiral Tree. Make sure to learn the lay of the land.

Clear all obstructions to our investigation of the Spiral Tree perimeter. Targets this time are a charged Chi-You and a Fierce Kongou. Make sure to bring defenses against spark attacks. A number of charged Zygotes have also been sighted here, but you can safely ignore them."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Alencon_Ci@NornOS.net
>Subject: My report on the Spiral Tree investigation
>Body:
I had the chance to observe HQ's movements regarding
this investigation. It appears that they are boring
into the Spiral Tree, extracting samples. They will
analyze the Oracle Cell activity and structures to
determine the bark's depth, resilience, and get a
better idea of its internal layout. This is so that
they can find the optimal spot to place the control
device. it seems that they are just getting started.

End of report.

>Sender: Kusunoki_Li@NornOS.net
>Subject: Spiral Tree Investigations
>Body:
How is the exploration going? I haven't been able to
visit the front lines, so I really have no idea what
the situation is out there. Of course I'm being
dragged out for technical stuff, but I still don't
get much info from above. They probably have their
hands full. In any case, there is still so much we
don't know about the Spiral Tree, so be sure to let
me know if you notice anything strange about your
God Arc.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "New piloted God Arc Soldiers are arriving with the research team. If they are piloted, that means that Dr. Leah is..."

A crestfallen Nana wanders over, biting into one of her sandwiches.

: "I tried giving Livie an oden sandwich, but she refused... Something about nutrition regulations... The IC really is strict. It must be really stressful working there..."

The lounge is fairly quiet. The IC observer is still here, watching over the few occupants.

: "I hear the IC is using God Arc Soldiers for the investigation. New ones with 'total bug fixes.' The IC has taken over Grem's pet Soldier program and even started mass production. They couldn't have done that through legal channels. I don't think we can afford to underestimate this Feldman."

: "Those are the people from HQ, right? What are they doing? It looks like they're checking out everyone in the lounge... It's creepy. I hope they leave soon."

You pass near the IC officer on over to see how Urara is doing near the TV. He's muttering under his breath...

: "Blood... The only unit with Blood Powers and a God Eater with the P73 Bias Factor who somehow returned from the dead. There's still time. I'll watch and wait for a while longer."

Urara's reading from a datapad and looks up when you greet her and ask what she's doing.

: "Hibari and Fran wrote dossiers on each God Eater's quirks and idiosyncrasies on missions for me. I'm studying!"

>Do your best!

"Th-Thank you for the support! I'll try hard to become the bestest operator there is!"

You make your way up to Dr. Sakaki's office to check in with him.

: "How is everything? Are your joint missions with Livie going smoothly?"

>What's the situation so far?

"The IC hasn't given me any detailed reports, but I hear things are 'going well.' I know they are burning the midnight oil working towards the consecration of the Spiral Tree. We must trust them for now. I believe all will become clear soon."

>And the Soldiers? What about them?

"I've been told that Friar is transporting a complement of upgraded God Arc Soldiers to the Far East Branch. Dr. Leah and Dr. Kujo are with them. They say they are looking forward to seeing Blood again. Once the Soldiers arrive, things will get very hectic. I know you're not happy about this, but please bear with it."

It's rather unnerving how Livie can track you throughout the Branch.

: "Excuse the interruption Dr. Sakaki. The captain here is needed by IC. You are to continue your investigation of the perimeter. I want to know where to put the devices before the Soldiers arrive. Accept your next mission as soon as you can."

Hibari nods knowingly upon your approach with Livie.

: "I've received a new mission for Blood, specifically...

Clear all obstructions to our investigation of the Spiral Tree perimeter. The target this time is a single Caligula. It has been sitting in our investigation team's path, blocking their advance, and must be eliminated for us to proceed. Luckily, it is alone. Focus all your attacks and bring it down."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Your second video's set to private

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't notice an error message when I hit publish the first time.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Claudius_Le@FIC.gov
>Subject: (Cc: All) Survey Guidelines
>Body:
To all members of the Far East Branch. See below.

The following mission objectives must be fulfilled.

-Safe transport of the materials and the God Arc
Soldiers must be guaranteed.

-The route for the above must be secured and any
Aragami must be exterminated. The Spiral Tree's
Oracle Cells may affect the Aragami in the area.

Expect the unexpected, and leave nothing to chance.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "Dr. Kujo seems really down. It's like he's really tired, or maybe...worn out? I hear that scientists don't even have time to eat during crunch time. I'll have to bring him an oden sandwich!"

: "I thought Livie would use inflexible strategies like Ciel did. But she's practical. Already a veteran, despite her age. She's good enough to fight with us, at any rate."

Meanwhile, in the Lounge, Mutsumi is serving lunch to Emil.

: "Ta-daa! I've recreated the cooking style of 'food as art!' The ingredients are the same, but it's way more fun!"

: "Th-This is... On the culinary battlefield of the dinner plate blossoms a wreath of roses...crafted from the noble carrot! Truly marvelous! A perfect portrayal of my glory! Chef! This is a masterpiece!!"

: "...and after pacifying the area, device installation will begin. Speak to Dr. Leah, then accept your mission."

You walk up to Doctors Kujo and Leah down in the pit. He notices you first.

: "...Hmm? What? Oh. Ahh, yes you. I remember now. You. You're... Right, there was that... Hmm..."

: "Dr. Kujo, what's the - Oh! Kimberly, good to see you. I know this is sudden, but I have a request for you. Can I ask you to deal with the Aragami around the Tree's perimeter for the God Arc Soldiers?"

>I'd be glad to!

"Heh, thanks. I'm counting on you. Here's the details.

Clear all obstructions to our investigation of the Spiral Tree perimeter. Targets this time are a Kongou and a polar Kongou. Both these Aragami have sharp hearing and are accompanied by sharp-eyed Zygotes. Prepare yourself for a chaotic brawl."

Click here to view.

Dr. Leah has been waiting for your return in the lobby.

: "Thank you for clearing out the Aragami. Because of you, our work is going well. When all research devices are installed, efficiency will rise dramatically... I gave the results of your mission to the research team for analysis. Thanks to you, we'll have answers sooner than expected. We're almost there."

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Alencon_Ci@NornOS.net
>Subject: Dr. Leah
>Body:
I was able to speak with Dr. Leah for the first time
in a long while. She has had it very hard since the
incident. However, she has overcome the obstacles
facing her, restructured her search, and now piloted
God Arc Soldier research is once again possible.
Better yet, she looks well.

It makes me happy to see her smiling again.

>Sender: Strasbourg_Em@NornOS.net
>Subject: A forbidden garden or a glorious utopia?
>Body:
I wonder. Why does man seek sanctity? Are wishes a
pill to forget fear or a path to a better tomorrow?
Is heaven somethign that cannot be found on Earth or
is it here for the taking, just beyond our grasp?
"Sacred ground" is a word that rings with mystery. It
is a branching path, a fork in the road at which we
may choose our destiny. Still! We can choose but one
path. Thus I choose that of hope and merriment! The
path that leads to mankind's happiness This I pledge!
I will give my all for this joyous future!

Furthermore...

This goes on for several more pages, and hit the
letter limit mid-sentence.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

Down in the pit, Nana and Gil are looking at the strategic map. Most of the panels are keyed to ceremony planning in the Far East.

: "A ceremony is going to be held in the Outer Ghetto. Some of our staff are even helping out. I hear it's to celebrate the Tree's consecration. I don't understand HQ's motives...but...

: "C'mon Gil, if the Tree is made sacred ground, research will go great! We might even discover something about Julius! Let's stay positive and do this!"

"Eh... I guess it's not too bad."

On the way into the lounge, you pass by Kanon.

: "I don't really know how this happened, but I'm going to the Outer Ghetto with Kigurumi to pass out balloons! I hear we're holding a celebration for the consecration ceremony. HQ is even sending food! I'm excited!"

: "Kim! Kim! Everyone knows you have to chew your food... Do God Eaters chew when they devour things?"

>Yup. Better energy intake.

"I knew it! Chewing is important!"

Over by the TV, Karel and Shun are sitting on opposite sofas to one another.

: "What's inside the Spiral Tree? We have a good chance of finding somethign that's never been seen before. If you learn anything, let me be the first to know. I'll be way more help than this punk."

Shun rolls his eyes and flips the channel. A minor scuffle breaks out over dominance of the remote. You leave them to it.

You head up to Dr. Sakaki's office to check in.

: "You... Livie has told me about you, Kimberly. You've done well. Because of you, we are moving forward faster than projections. We'll hold the consecration ceremoney soon."

>Ceremony?

Dr. Sakaki chimes in.

: "Fenrir PBS will broadcast the Spiral Tree consecration ceremony. Fenrir HQ is sending us food for the event. We should see street stalls in the Outer Ghetto and on the of the Branch. We want everyone, not just Fenrir personnel, to enjoy the ceremony."

"It wouldn't be right unless we can see the Spiral Tree. We've already contacted HQ and FPBS, and are making our preparations. It'll be a pretty lively event! Now, were there any further questions?"

>No sir.

Feldman continues

"The Far East Branch's units will be guarding the perimeter during the ceremony. Declaring the Tree sacred ground will help quiet civil unrest. I expect your help. "

: "I've received a new mission for Blood. Is everyone ready?

The massive type 1 deusphage, Amaterasu, has left its lair in a cave deep under the sea near Aegis and has dragged its bulk through a crack in Aegis's wall. Find and kill it with great haste. Amaterasu's firepower and endurance are legendary. This will be a long, dangerous battle. Be sure to stock up on restoratives before heading out."

:nws: & :japan: Yes, really. This video is not work safe. No, I don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

Click here to view.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

(U: Happy Thanksgiving everyone, time for a ceremony as well in the Far East Branch!)

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Fujiki_Ko@NornOS.net
>Subject: Almost time for the ceremony!
>Body:
I thought events like this were just for big wigs to
give boring speeches and pat each other on the back,
but omg! Special rides using manned God Arc
Soldiers?! A fully-stocked buffet?! This is like a
festival or something! They're dolling out extra
rations to everyone to celebrate the Spiral Tree's
designation as a sanctuary, as well!

>Sender: Kozuki_Na@NornOS.net
>Subject: Things are getting lively!
>Body:
It really has been a long time since we've had a big
event like this! I still feel like I'm not totally
ready to loosen up and have fun yet, but everybody is
finally back to smiling, aren't they...?

We'd better have our smiles on during the ceremony
too, 'kay?

>Sender: Daiba_Ka@NornOS.net
>Subject: it's almost festival time!
>Body:
i'm off-duty, so i'm prepping some snacks to hand out
to the guards protecting the venue. they've got
important jobs to do, but i want them to enjoy the
festival too! since i'm making so many, i want to
give them out to a bunch of people and really get
the party going! i'm gonna make sooooo many!

>Sender: Yuno@YunoIdol.net
>Subject: I'll be back soon!
>Body:
I heard that there is going to be a ceremony for the
Spiral Tree being designated as a sanctuary, and am
on my way there to attend! I'm looking forward to
being able to see everyone again.

Yuno

>Sender: Satsuki@YunoIdol.net
>Subject: Heading back to the Far East
>Body:
You may have already heard from Yuno, but world tours
really are tough, you know? That's why I'm using the
ceremony as an excuse to bring her back and let her
get a little rest, hopefully. But it IS the grand
return of a world-famous singer, so you'd better have
an amazing welcome planned!

Hehe, jk, jk

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

"Kim! Kim! Kim!"

: The food from HQ is here! There's a whole banquet in the Outer Ghetto and on the roof! There are even people visiting from faraway satellite bases! Maybe I'll go check it out!"

In the booth, Kota is slumped down, clearly exhausted.

: "Phew... I'm beat! Why do I have to do this again?"

>What were you doing?

"The task force asked me to help 'move things.' Which is HQ code for 'carry heavy boxes up stairs!' This is cruel and unusual punishment!" And yelling to no one in particular. "Do it yourself next time, guys!"

Down in the pit, Ciel is with Livie, looking at a detailed strategic map of the projected defense grid around the Far East.

: "In preparation for the ceremony, all Far East Branch units are ordered to patrol the area. We'll have to work hard until the ceremony is over, Kimberly!"

Livie continues

: "All that's left is the final equipment check. We've confirmed a number of bias field pusles around the Spiral Tree. Your orders are to go deal with them."

: "Before the ceremony, one last check needs to be made of the research equipment at the Spiral Tree. We've detected multiple Aragami in the area. Blood has been tasked with their removal.

Risks to the final inspection of the cables connecting to the Spiral Tree must be eliminated. Destroy two Gboro-Gboro seen near the perimeter of the Tree. Magmatic Zygotes have been buzzing about nearby. These are not targets, however destroy them first. The work team will depart when you finish."

Click here to view.

(U: Framerate issues in the second half of the video are due to the media used by the game itself, and not my PC choking.)

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: O'Mori_Ta@NornOS.net
>Subject: Are You All Okay?!
>Body:
There's been a change in the Spiral Tree at your
location. We didn't think it would get this bad...

>Sender: Bardell_Br@NornOS.net
>Subject: Reply Requested
>Body:
All Defense Unit members safe. Please report. If
typing not feasible, simply reply to this.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

There was also the usual advertisement emails regarding new clothes, and technology updates.

: "I went to the roof and took stock of the situation. It's like the Spiral Tree has been...possessed. What could have happened to it...?

: "The quick thinking of Kanon and the others on standby helped keep casualties in the Outer Ghetto to a minimum. I hope that was the end of this. But I don't think we'll be that lucky."

: "I came because I heard there was going to be a ceremony, but the second i get here...yeesh. There's always so much drama here in the Far East. Now Director Feldman's called an emergency meeting. Well, time to grab the ol' pen and paper."

The trio part ways shortly after you've cleared out your mail. Come to think of it, you wonder what the borderline obsession is with Julius. With all due respect, but...they're acting like he's still alive. Technically he is, as his Singularity response is still ongoing. However, his God Arc's been deactivated and extensively used in your missions as link support, and it's not like Romeo's which is still in standby to this day, bewildering even the best and brightest at the Far East. Romeo's is another issue entirely, though. You... remember that, much like Julius's farewell.

"H-hey, Kimberly!"

A familiar voice anchors you.

: "Isn't that THE Yuno? I knew that she sometimes gives concerts in the satellite bases... But to see her in the flesh! And this close! It's my first time... What do I talk about?!"

>Want me to introduce you?

"D-don't be an idiot! I don't need your help to talk to a girl! Besides, it's not like I'm i-interested in h-her or anything. I was just surprised to see a celebrity."

You can't help but smirk as Shun's face begins to turn red.

: "Some 'consecration.' What a disaster. It's our job to clean up the IC's mess." She sighs "I guess I'll go get ready."

Over on the other side of the lounge, Erina and Nana are with Yuno.

: "Dr. Sakaki's been called to the meeting room, and we're all on standby until we know more about what's going on. We need to be ready to move at a moment's notice. I should start getting ready..."

: "That must mean that the inside of the Spiral Tree is pretty bad off! Does that mean Julius is...?!"

There it is again. Not to speak ill of the dead but--

: "Kimberly! I'm so relieved to see that you're okay...

>Say, long time no see!

"I know! I heard about the ceremony while I was out on the road. I was already thinking that it would be nice to come pay a visit, but when I finally made it back... The earth suddenly started shaking and the Spiral Tree... I'm just glad everyone's safe."

: "Director Feldman has order a special meeting regarding the anomalous Spiral Tree phenomenon. Please hurry to the executive section's meeting room."

Click here to view.

: "You will accompany Livie to investigate the Spiral Tree and help her learn her Blood Art. She'll need the full power of Julius's God Arc if we're to have a chance of entering the Tree. People have already died over this. I trust you know what's at stake."

: "After that rather spectacular display, the Tree has been quiet. No more apocalyptic omens, at least. Once we can look inside the Tree, we may be able to discover the source of that anomaly. I'll leave Livie to you."

: "To aid our investigation of the Tree's interior, I'll be borrowing Captain Julius's God Arc. ...I hope this isn't a problem."

: "The problem here is that both Friar and the Far East Branch once secretly tried to cause the Apocalypse. We can't let something like this knock us off balance. We'll deal with the problem quickly and recover."

Back down in the lobby...

: "A unique power, huh...? Director Feldman said that Livie possesses a unique power, but it looks like she's suffering..."

: "Um... Kimberly, is it true that Julius's Singularity readings vanished from the Tree? He has been fighting all alone in there... Fighting the Devouring Apocalypse... Let's go to the Tree, Kim. We need to know what's going on in there."

You haven't seen Gil this brooding in, well, ever.

: "The second those IC idiots stuck their noses in, this happens. Think they set this whole thing up? If they try to misuse Julius's God Arc...If that happens, don't try to stop me, Kim."

Yuno heads out of the lounge.

: "I'm happy I got to see everyone, but I'm worried about the people at the satellite bases. I should go back..."

>You need to take it easy.

"I can't do that! I'm sure everyone is really worried right now! To tell you the truth, I wanted to have more time to chat. But we'll save that for next time! You take care, Kimberly."

You ask for one small request before she heads out. She smiles, nods, and heads back into the lounge. Knowing his type, he probably hasn't mustered up the courage to stammer out a 'hi.'

Down in the pit, Gina is going over her orders, but pauses as you approach.

: "Am I the only one who feels that the timing of this whole Spiral Tree incident was just a little too convenient? ...Wouldn't it be funny if this whole thing was a conspiracy hatched by Director Feldman? Ha ha, totally believable."

: "Both Blood and Livie's unit are order to head to the area just outside the Spiral Tree.

Eliminate all Aragami obstructing our investigation of the Tree. Your targets are a Kyuubi and a fiery Borg Camlann. The Kyuubi has been seen roaming the area, so it would be best to launch a preemptive strike on the Borg Camlann to open the battle. Prepare for a fierce fight if these two Aragami join together. Good luck."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Lara Croft/Half-Life school of boss design :v:

EDIT: So can you just like create a really damaging bullet and a mult-hitting bullet, get lots of OP, then activate blood rage then using them in succession fulfill all the pledges at once?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 25, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

EDIT: So can you just like create a really damaging bullet and a mult-hitting bullet, get lots of OP, then activate blood rage then using them in succession fulfill all the pledges at once?

Unless you take pledges that stipulate stuff like Devour, or only use the Blood Art, yes you would be correct.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.
the Far East, and the captains of each unit for
discussions related to the Spiral Tree investigation.
Please make use of it.

Hibari Takeda

>Sender: Kusunoki_Li@NornOS.net
>Subject: (URGENT) About Livie
>Body:
Just a quick note about Livie... No matter how
talented and special her abilities are, using
another's God Arc puts an incredible stress on the
body. I feel like she won't listen to me, so I'm
telling you instead. Don't let her use it for long
periods. Stop her if she tries. And no matter what
happens, don't ever let yourself touch his God Arc.
I think you know very well what would happen if you
did, but I felt obligated to say something.

Good luck.

>Sender: FENRIR INTELLIGENCE CENTER
>Subject: (Cc: All) The Spiral Tree Phenomenon
>Body:
Attention all members of the Far East Branch.

The area's bias field pulse and all other
measurements are back to normal. Rest assured that
nothing is amiss.

An investigation into this event will be launched. We
ask for your continued cooperation.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "How's she doing, by the way?"

>Who're you referring to?

"Livie. She's using Julius's God Arc on missions with you, right? You remember your aptitude test? It hurt so much you thought you were dying, right? If it hurts that much for highly compatible God Arcs, think what it must be like to force someone else's to work for you."

: "She really is something. I thought it was impossible ot use someone else's God Arc. When I think about it, I don't know anything about her... What foods she likes, which ones she doesn't like... We can't let things go on like this! She's going to be our teammate, after all!"

: "Livie asked me to give her advice on how to learn a Blood Art, but I wasn't able to give her a clear answer. It's like an explosion of emotions or something's melting inside you... No wonder she looked at me funny."

You excuse yourself, and head to the lounge.

: "That whole thing caught me completely by surprise. I thought it was an earthquake until I saw the Tree... I... I almost got sucked into a crack in the ground... If Kigurumi wasn't nearby, I don't know what would have happened." She starts hyperventilating "Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts!"

She takes a bit before calming down. Teruomi starts showing some impressive body control and strength while taking a seat on the piano bench.

"Y'know, I never expected to find a piano here." Slightly raising his voice "I would love to hear Gil play a tune!"

>I've never heard him play.

"What?! You don't know what you're missing! He's really quite amazing! Then again, he never plays if you ask him to. He always blows you off..."

: "Yes, I overheard, and the answer is no."

You report in at the meeting room.

: "Both Director Feldman and I agreed we have to launch a major investigation. Staff will work in shifts, 24/7. We'll need both Cradle and Blood working around the clock dealing with Aragami. We're counting on you."

: "...Yes? Do you need something?"

>What's the Tree's status?

"We don't know anything for certain at the moment. ...I'll let you know if we learn anything."

>No Director, that was all.

"Let me say this again. Livie's Blood Art is of paramount importance. Good luck."

: "I've received a new mission near the Tree. Is everyone ready?

The Oracle Control Device Installation Team encountered a prithvi Mata near the perimeter of the Tree and was forced to retreat. Move quickly to suppress this beast so that work can resume. We have had reports of a Nyx Alpha in the area as well. Melee weapons have no effect on this troublesome foe. Grab your guns and get to work."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Amamiya_Li@NornOS.net
>Subject: Spiral Tree mission
>Body:
I guess the progress of the investigation is all
depending on you now. Some crazy pressure, huh? Well,
I'm counting on you. Don't overdo it now!

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

Back in the lobby, Ciel, Kanon and Tatsumi are in the upper booth.

: "We keep getting asked to gather all kinds of weird data for the investigation. But why? No one ever tells us what it's used for. We're working our buuts off, but it's like we aren't helping at all."

: "Spiral Tree abnormalities are growing more pronounced. We are also picking up unknown bias field pulses. We need to learn more, and fast..."

: "Things have definitely picked up around here! Now we beat down ARagami and pick up samples! Overnight and back-to-back missions really get the blood pumping, but the fatigue will hit you hard later!"

You report in to Dr. Sakaki.

: "The Spiral Tree anomaly appears to have been caused by an abrupt stimulation of its dormant Oracle Cells. Saying that, we don't know why those cells decided to activate when they did. We may be unable to learn more until we are inside the Tree itself."

: "Due to the 24/7 investigation of the Tree's perimeter, the Blood Unit's duties are quite significant.

A Dyaus Pita has been a thorn in the side of the Forest of the Apocalypse investigation for too long. Rendezvous with the survey team, kill it, and slay all of its friends. The target is controlling a Yaksha, so it would be wise to separate the two and deal with them one at a time.

Click here to view.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.
>Subject: (Cc: All) Satellite base status
>Body:
I've been staying in this satellite base for a while
now. Part of the wall was destroyed and a number of
buildings were destroyed. But Cradle and the Defense
Unit are working hard to get everything back
together! We're very lucky that only a few people
were injured. I'm going to meet with Alisa, and maybe
I'll even be able to visit the Branch again soon.
I'll send you a mail as soon as I know when I'll be
back.

Sincerely, Yuno.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

You turn off your phone as the helicopter hits the pad. Having only been given a few minutes of R&R, outside of mandatory maintenance downtime, exhaustion is slowly creeping up. Adrenaline fueled survival can only stretch for so long. The elevator cage doors open up to the lobby.

: "The IC never answers questions. They really know how to keep a tight lid on info... I know it's their job, but still. And Livie only tells us what we 'need to know.'"

: "A God Eater-offing death squad, huh? I'd heard rumors, but to think they actually existed... God Eaters can turn into Aragami if their armlets malfunction. In those cases, they need to be put down before... We walk hand in hand with this danger. You never know when you'll have to put someone down."

: "All units except the 1st and 4th are out on missions. Everyone has a lot on their plate... We can't slack off either."

Entering the lounge, Mutsumi slides you a energy drink and begins prepping up some quick noodles.

: "Here you go, Kim! Don't push yourself too hard!" She emphasizes the point with a soup spoon

Ciel and Licca are sitting at the bar, Emil, Nana and Urara are in a cluster off to the side.

: "The piloted Soldiers performed exactly as intended. Dr. Leah and Dr. Kujo make a great team! It's even more fantastic knowing all the pain and trouble they went through to develop them."

: "I've worked on Julius's God Arc a number of times since Livie started using it. It's incredible. There's almost nothing to adjust. It's like his God Arc was made for her. She treats her God Arcs with so much care. Even the other one she was using was probably taken off someone she, uh... I supposed she's trained with every weapon in the book, so she can do her job no matter the God Arc..."

: "When the anomaly occured, facilities and equipment in satellite bases were destroyed by earthquakes. We were thankfully able to minimize injuries, but the people's fear and uncertainty have grown... Until we can prove that the Spiral Tree is harmless, satellite defense missions will become more...complex."

: "The Research Unit has it pretty tough too. I just wish they would open the Tree already..."

: "You! Nothing cures a weary heart like a cup of freshly brewed tea! Come! Sip with me!" He produces a thermos, and a handful of flavorings.

>Thank you very much!

"When you require seconds, just ask! Lemon, milk, I have it all!

>Milk, pretty please!

"Certainly!"

You report in to the IC.

" Good work, both of you. Livie, check God Arc compatibility status after your next mission. Right now I want a full mission report."

: "Yes, sir." Saluting, and turning to you. "I thought I should let you know. After the next mission, there's going to be a medical check. Don't worry. I'll be the only one examining you. I'll be writing a simple report on your health."

: "You misunderstand us. We're proud we deal with rogue God Eaters. One day you'll understand the value of Corporal Livie's sacrifices. But, by then, it'll probably be too late..."

: "It pains me to admit this, but the research on the Spiral Tree's bark is rough going. Compared to pre-anomaly levels, Oracle Cells are strangely active... It's like...like it's hungry. I have a bad feeling that we'll see the horror of the Devouring Apocalypse again sometime soon."

: "You're still on the clock, Blood's duties continue.

One of the roads in the perimeter of the Spiral Tree has been destroyed, presumably by the overactive hunger of a Corrosive Hannibal. Exterminate this pest so that we can restore this path. Be wary of nearby magmatic Vajratails."

Click here to view.

: "...And done. I'll submit a request for longer R&R as exhaustion is setting in. You are otherwise in fine health. I can handle the rest of the paperwork; you're free to go."

In the upper lobby, Gil and Lindow are present.

: "Cradle will be back for a little while. Is the research almost over? I hope so..."

: "Another hunting mission? I suppose it is nice to go swing a God Arc around mindlessly sometimes. It bothers me that we haven't gotten any updates from the task force, though. It's not like they've been idle. Well, I suppose there's no rush. Let's go hunting!"

Down in the pit, Nana and Alisa are looking at the strategic map.

: "I hear that Livie is bonding well with Julius's God Arc, but how much longer will it take? I'm not impatient or anything. It's just that I don't like being unable to do anything."

: "We hear almost nothing about the status of the Spiral Tree or the God Arc bonding investigations. I had always heard that the IC keeps a stranglehold on information... They tell us nothing and yet demand we do as they say... Then again, I suppose this is all old news."

: "Currently all units are on active rotation. Blood and Cradle are on primary hunting duty.

A Tezcatlipoca and fiery Gboro-Gboro living in the old subway system have been causing indiscriminate destruction. Eliminate them quickly. Divine attacks are effective against the Tezcatlipoca, while cold-based attacks will work well against the fiery Gboro-Gboro."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh okay so Livie's Big Moment will be about realizing that Julius had friends while she did not, but Kim will be there so everything will be okay.

How long does it take to max out a Blood Art?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The update tonight is being reluctant to render so I need more time with it.

The higher tier of difficulty will earn you more experience towards a Blood Art. Hits, crits and sometimes multiple crits in a row determine how fast you progress up the leveling.

edit: The time to level right now from 3-4 (cap) is like 10 or so missions if you concentrate with the skill, more depending on the skill usage. The light ground attacks for scythe were really quick to level, while extend fang's take a lot more effort.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 28, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Dickinson_Gi@NornOS.net
>Subject: Dinner?
>Body:
I know we get rotated around a lot and don't have
much time...

But let's get something to eat when you have time.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "The IC has been in a meeting for a while now. Livie is there too, giving her report. It's so...ominously quiet. They haven't said anything, but I'd like to think that's a good sign."

: "The investigation of the Spiral Tree perimeter has gotten pretty much all it's going to get. But that doesn't mean we should just blindly go into the internal investigation. I hate just sitting on my hands. It feels terrible."

: "Hey there, Kim. How's everything? Work going well?"

>Everything's super-duper

"Whoa, seriously? I guess this is a cakewalk for you, huh? Enhance your God Arc. Do a few random missions with your team to hone your skills. Just don't blame yourself too much, all right? Sometimes it's not your fault that things go bad."

Basically blocking the door, Shun, Soma and Tatsumi are in the way to the lounge.

: "I don't know if they can't talk about it or just won't, but either way the task force is pissing me off. We risked our necks and didn't even get one word of thanks! You don't have to be Shun to be pissed."

: "Our 24/7 work rotation is finally done with. Take a break. You earned it. Exhaustion just makes people prone to irritation."

: "This HQ pieces of poo poo! 'Need-to-know basis' my rear end! You kidding me? What do they think we are?! Slaves?!"

Tatsumi replies to his outburst "Preach it, Shun! You're not a slave, you're a slacker!"

"Hey...That hurt! I didn't slack off this time! That's why I'm so tired!"

The guys finally disperse and let you into the lounge. And you run right into Brendan and Kota in a heated discussion.

: "We worked without rest or sleep for them, and they won't share the fruits of our labors with us! HQ or not, if they keep acting in bad faith like this, no one's going to help them again."

: "IC or not, it'll time them time to analyze the data. Just a little longer!"

: "Everyone, stop fighting! Anyone I catch fighting gets no food for a week!"

With Mutsumi laying down the law, the lounge quiets do-

: "This is truly deplorable! The halls of the Den echo with cries of discontent! Someone must lead Feldman down the path of righteousness! Someone...like me! To the changing room!"

...He has a costume?

: "Livies compatibility with Julius's God Arc has gone up! Everyone seems really unsatisfied about it, but she's slowly getting better. You have to stay optimistic!"

And in the back, overlooking the window, Karel and Haru are sitting at the stools.

: "I don't mind being busy or not being filled in. What gets me is the pitiful pay. It's like they're throwing pennies at our feet, buying our valuable time wholesale."

: "I don't know, man. I've been real tense recently. I know these guys aren't here just to watch me, but... He notices you behind him, with your best disapproving face on. "Hey! Why are you looking at me like that?! I'm innocent!"

You report in to Dr. Sakaki

: "I'm really sorry that we've been unable to share much with you. I know many are upset about this. But HQ is adamant on this point. They don't want any more failures. That's why the task force has been so...stingy. The result is that we've made things difficult for you. Please bear with it until this is all over."

: "We've received reports that Hannibals have broken into an old God Arc Soldier warehouse by the base of the Tree. This may cause problems for the investigation. Destroy them quickly, before things get out of hand. We've recieved responses from a Hannibal and a Corrosive Hannibal. Eliminate them one by one."

Click here to view.

: "HQ is divided into a number of different factions, all warring for power. No one trusts anyone else. The IC is still living in that bubble. The only way to change things is from the top. How...sad."

: "I need data on Livie's body to adjust Julius's God Arc, but they're treating it like it's top secret. I can't do anything as an engineer without data, and if there's a problem, it'll already be too late..."

Kanon slips out of the lounge

: "Everyone's tense with anger or worry... Maybe I should be angry too, I guess. But I don't think I'm qualified enough to be angry about anything."

Amidst the general hubbub of discontent, you and Gina share a meal together.

: "I had a great time during the 24/7 rotation schedule. I have a feeling I'll sleep well tonight... Thank you for the company, Kimberly, we should do it again another time." She giggles, stands up and stretches.

With her meeting apparently over, Livie tracks you down easily.

: "We know the IC is not welcome here. And we know that our actions are deserving of your mistrust. Still. Although our methodology may be different, our desire to protect people is the same. We have but one choice ahead of us. Carry out our orders and deal with this situation. Let's go. The less time we spend glaring at each other, the better."

: "We lost contact with a task force unit in the old Soldier warehouse. A strong bias field pulse was detected nearby. It is likely that you will encounter a type 1 deusphage, a grotesque Venus. Deal with it quickly to prevent losses to resources stored there. Make sure you are well prepared against spark, and bring blaze or divine weaponry to put it down."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.
>Subject: (Cc: All) Expedition Final Prep
>Body:
This message is mainly for the IC. As we are
expecting a series of battles during this expedition,
I would like to confirm that we will have extra
supplies as well as a supply chain. Be prepared to
discuss details in person.

Livie Collete, IC

>Sender: Makabe_Ha@NornOS.net
>Subject: I just found this out
>Body:
The Far East Branch has a MUCH higher ratio of female
staff to male staff than any other branch... I just
had to tell someone.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

...Really Haru? Besides that, the usual adverts for the clothing catalogue, and updated weapon technology.

(U: For some reason, the game's mail announces this AFTER the upcoming mission. At the time of this, I was still using mostly rank 8 weaponry, and this mission is rank 11. I spent a lengthy amount of time updating my gear in prep for the mission.)

: "Kim! Fran told me that the next mission is going to be a long expedition. Alone with Livie too, I hear! We should have thinned out most of the Aragami by now, so you should be fine. Still, be careful!"

: "This expedition with Livie was set up to improve the chance that she learns her Blood Art. Just...don't push too hard. Livie shouldn't either. She still hasn't completely bonded with the God Arc."

In the lounge, it's a lot quieter. Besides the bosslady, only Licca and Teru are present.

: "I hear you are Livie are going out on a long expedition etogether. Staying out overnight, even. She still hasn't fully bonded with the God Arc. I hope that she'll be okay..."

: "A lot of people get malnourished during these types of missions. Don't work so hard you forget to eat!"

Suddenly, Kigurumi appears from out of nowhere, and proceeds to wildly gesticulate in your direction and at a bowl of food Mutsumi is prepping. Mutsumi yelps, and you jump from the sudden appearance.

: "You must be exhausted from all these missions, Captain. Take a break when you need it or you'll collapse. ...Oh yeah! If you would like, how about a massage? I'm actually quite good with my hands."

You - uh - Wha? A massage sounds good, however you're rather suspicious as to how far the apple has fallen from the Makabe tree with regards to Teru.

You report in to Dr. Sakaki.

: "I was just having a dicsussion with Soma. This Devouring Apocalypse stabilized because two canceled each other out. But why then this change? We think that Julius used his power as a Singularity to restrain the Apocalypse from within the Tree. If this theory is correct, then what will happen when Julius falters?"

And to Director Feldman...

: "This job will mark an end to our work around the perimeter of the Spiral Tree. You and Corporal Livie will search the outside perimeter of the Spiral Tree for a way inside. You will also do your utmost to help Corporal Livie awaken her Blood Art. Destroy all enemies you find. That will be all. Dismissed."

: "This expedition is just you and Corporal Livie. So if it fails, we'll know who's to blame. I'll give you a hint. Corporal Livie never fails."

How inspiring.

: "This will be an aggressive recon of the perimeter of the Spiral Tree. Comprised of four distinct phases and led by Corporal Livie Collete, you will proceed cautiously, securing supply lines as you go. During the first phase a Wild Blade Arc Soldier must be put down. Second phase, a polar Gboro-Gboro, Third phase, a single Sekhmet. Fourth phase, an unknown Aragami response has been tracked to the area. be ready for anything."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What no scene where the battle-heardened veteran bonds with the protagonist to unlock her power? You're losing your touch game.

And don't worry about using weapons of a higher rank. It's all good.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

That Venus fight can swing dramatically in terms of time to kill depending on whether or not it wants to do its charge bullshit while enraged. I don't believe it got a chance to show it off. The attack consists of: run forward, swerve, run forward, swerve, run forward then stop. The last two runs get steadily faster, and this wrecks the AI teammate's HP something fierce since it can traverse the entire arena very quickly in this state.

You literally can't do anything during the attack except to either guard, dodge out of the way, or parry.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Alencon_Ci@NornOS.net
>Subject: Good work
>Body:
I heard that your mission went excellently. I had
faith in you. I knew that you would return safely.
Please tell me about it when you have time.

Ciel

>Sender: McLaine_Gi@NornOS.net
>Subject: (None)
>Body:
Nice work, Kimberly.
Let's grab a drink to celebrate your return.

>Sender: Kozuki_Na@NornOS.net
>Subject: Welcome back
>Body:
I heard about seeing Julius... Livie's ability really
is amazing, isn't it? I feel... I feel... like I'm
just so full of hope! Yay!

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

(U: In addition to it being a new difficulty tier, we also gained three new backup supports (Leah, Satsuki, and Yuno), and most God Eaters and backup supports have the capability to unlock new skills. If you've been using certain characters a lot, make sure to cash in skill points for upgrades here!)

: "Corporal Livie, Blood Captain Kimberly, welcome back. I heard that you have completed your objective. I have a number of concerning reports, but their analysis is my jbo. Rest until you have new orders. And, Blood Captain, I think that crowd outside is for you. Do IC a favor and disperse them, will you?"

Upon exiting the meeting room, you are immediately mugged by Nana, Ciel and Gil and promptly escorted to the lounge. Somehow, they even managed to grab Livie.

: "Welcome home! I was so worried about you! Your mission was really important, but I'm happier to see both of you back safe and sound!"

: "If we hadn't heard from you by the specified time, I would have requested permission to go looking for you. I'm glad you two made it back without any major injuries!"

: "I'm impressed she awakened her Blood Art so quickly. Does this mean that Julius accepted her?"

: "Hell yeah! Mutsumi, a round of drinks for the captain here! Nothing hits the spot after a hard job like some grog! The task force people are going wild. I don't doubt we'll hear about some progress soon."

: Presenting a platter of various flavors of donuts "It's been a while since my last batch, but I made some donuts! Hey, Kimberly, want one? She picks out one with pink icing and hands it to you.

As the party winds down, you're full, a bit tipsy, and very content.

: "Everyone here worried about me far more than I would have ever expected. The IC is used to being hated, so I'm doubly surprised. I...don't really know how to deal with this..."

: "You've certainly been busy. A great discovery, Livie's bonding, the awakening of her Blood Art, and a party! It's almost time for us to announce the research results. Our next major goal will be unvieled then."

: "No one knows when this sort of emergency will happen to them. Going on missions with different God Eaters helps keep you flexible and capable of adapting to any situation. I've received a new mission for you.

Aragami have been lurking about the Old City, terrorizing salvage teams. Slip into the Old City and eliminate them. This swarm appears to be centered around a Vajra, and consists of a Kabbala Kabbala and a large number of Night Hollows."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.
>Subject: (Cc: All) Mission Report
>Body:
I've consolidated this report for all of you.

-Two Research Unit members returned safely.
-Blood Art nearly learned; mission accomplished.
-Encountered and eliminated new Aragami species.
-Resonance emitted upon use of Julius's God Arc.
-Details to be submitted in full at a later date.

Livie Collete, IC

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "I've...never felt this close to a God Arc before. This 'Blood Art' is a truly curious thing..."

: "Now that Livie's Blood Art has been awakened, we can finally get into the Spiral Tree...right?!"

: "So Julius's God Arc is the key to te Spiral Tree? If that's true, we can finally go in. ...I'll go fine-tune my God Arc. I may need it sooner than I expected."

: "Everyone related to the Soldier program is being called to Friar for some new operation."

: "Ever since Livie awakened her Blood Art, I've felt... closer to her. I wonder... Why is that?"

: "I've received a new mission for Blood, specifically...

A charged Borg Camlann and a Demiurge have appeared in the mountain reservoir facility. Destroy them. Our calculations show that, with its size and weight, if the Demiurge were to get rowdy on the dam, the entire thing would collapse. Kill it before this calamity can occur. We wish you the best of luck."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing Critical Limit is like the maximum amount of damage you can do and you fail if you go over it. Though I expect that's it's in the 200 millions because of a bug.

Goddamn Blood Rage is silly good.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Yuno@YunoIdol.net
>Subject: Julius
>Body:
I heard from Ciel about seeing Julius in the Spiral
Tree. I know that I shouldn't get my hopes up
considering the situation, but after what happened at
the ceremony, I can't help but feel a little
relieved. I look forward to talking some more when I
get back.

Yuno

>Sender: Fujiki_Ko@NornOS.net
>Subject: Heading into the Spiral Tree
>Body:
We're really going in there, huh?

...Going inside a tree feels like something out of a
picture book or something. Dr. Sakaki says it's
basically a huge mass of Aragami... Which means we're
basically putting ourselves inside a massive Aragami
stomach, right?! So crazy...

But I guess it was originally Julius, so that makes it
a little better!

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "Our role in Operation Gateway is that of an escort. But if the control device installation goes well..."

: "Give me any sort of mission! I'll do whatever it takes to help Julius! But first, let's make Operation Gateway a success, Kim!"

: "I'm surprised the IC actually told us what we're doing. Have they changed their tune? It seems that we've made some progress."

: "The preparations are divided into a number of stages. Blood will assist, but orders are still forthcoming. I'll be adjusting Julius's God Arc... I want it to be perfect. and I don't want to worry you all."

You stop by the lounge. Fran's on a break, Kota and Erina are poking at a plate of food, and Soma's in the back...staring at a potted plant.

: "Loss of concentration during work can be a serious problem. We're taking shifts to rest. There are a number of new teas available in the lounge as of late. I look forward to taking my breaks there."

: "Know how we've had to kill all those Aragami? Director Feldman needed to secure a supply route from HQ. Apparently he was under orders to clear the roads. If he had just told us that, we would have gladly helped!"

: "Can you believe it? He actually told us something! I'm blown away! Now the IC people are answering questions too! Why the sudden change?"

And Soma is...

...is busy it looks like

Out in the Lobby, Dr. Leah is by the front desk.

: "I wrote regulations on info sharing for the operation. We're slowly breaking down communication barriers. We don't have the time to fight amongst ourselves. Task force, Far East, Blood - We all need to work together."

: "Preparations for Operation Gateway are 16% complete. Only the IC is currently on schedule. I've received a new mission for Blood, specifcally...

The source of the strange tornadoes in the grasslands has been found to be an Ouroboros. It needs to be dealt with, and quickly. This unusual, localized phenomenon has started to pique the curiosity of civilians. A bus filled with scientists had to be turned away by a troop of military police."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Ogawa_Sh@NornOS.net
>Subject: drat... So Tired...
>Body:
Hear me out. I just got recruited for 24-hour guard
duty, so no sleep for me again today. I'm fighting
the Sandman more than the Aragami here.

But somebody's got to do it.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "We've been asked to do a dry run of Operation Gateway. While Livie here is opening a hole in the wall, we'll be wide open. We'll need practice to ensure her safety."

Nodding, she continues.

: "I'm trying to minimize any unpredictable factors to boost our chances of success."

The smell of corn is rather overwhelming as you open the door to the lounge.

: "Hi Kimberly! I don't have much this week except for corn... I'll do my best with what I've got!"

: "Corn salad, cornbread, corn soup, and corn steak... and the pièce de résistance corn sherbet for dessert! They're all delicious, but I want me some greens!!!"

: "Hey, Gina! I've got a great idea! Let's make popcorn with the giant corn! It'll get even bigger and be totally awesome!!"

: "Popcorn with giant corn? Are you insane? That would blow this place to smithereens!"

: I've been waiting for you, Kimberly. I have some tasks for Blood for the operation's preparations. Livie will use Julius's God Arc to open a way into the Tree. Soldiers will use a device to stabilize it. During that time, they will be totally defenseless. One misstep and we'll lose everything. The Blood Unit is their defense. I need you to practice your role here. Their lives may depend on it."

>Preparation is prevention! We're on it!

She smiles and continues. "Safety does come first. I've given Fran the details. Be careful out there!"

: "Preparations for Operation Gateway are 48% complete. Dr. Leah's unifying efforts have been going well. Blood has been assigned a new mission for Operation Gateway. Is everyone ready?

This operation will be a trial run for Operation Gateway, where we will reproduce a situation in which the Soldiers are attacked mid mission. A number of fiery Cocoon Maidens and Vajratails living in the Soldier Warehouse will be used for this purpose. Bring defenses against Blaze attacks. Good luck."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Claudius_Le@FIC.gov
>Subject: Thanks for Your Cooperation
>Body:
I can tell you are the ones to ask when I want
something done quickly. I'm sorry I've been so
demanding. I'll get the test results to you ASAP.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

Doctors Kujo and Leah are in the pit, going over the strategic map.

: "Hey there, you seem to be in perfect form out there! I knew it was a good idea to ask for your help... We're nearly done with the preparations!"

>What's the game plan?

"First, Livie uses Julius's God Arc to open a door. Then Soldiers use the control device to stabilize it. They'll be defenseless during the operation, so Blood will guard them. Don't worry about the Soldiers. I personally checked them. Oh yes! Dr. Kujo here will be on-site in a Soldier as well. He has no battle skills, so keep him safe!"

: "Oh, uh... H-Hi...there... Th-thank you for the...um...the protection...yeah."

Leah continues.

"I'm about to head to Friar for the final preparations. Let's make this operation a success!"

In the lounge, there's a number of people present, making for a interesting atmosphere. Licca's at the bar, Lindow and Ciel are shooting Billiards, Gil and Hibari are chatting, and Karel's watching TV.

: "Dr. Leah chopped through all the red tape for me, and now working on Livie's God Arc is real easy! No more detailed forms, filled in triplicate! I actually have time to do real work now!"

: "I just read about a legendary group of culinarians! They came from all walks of life and held the very secret to eternal youth! But few could fathom their rituals... The Glutton Free Masons they were called! Their influence resounded throughout the culinary world!"

(U: Oh my goodness, Mutsumi :3: )

: "Yo! I hear everything's going swimmingly with you guys! That gives me time to chill out and collect some Retro Oracle Cells. Hey, Ciel, you're up next."

: "I wish I had time to hit the town or even to just grab some coffee and relax with Fran and Urara. But our work makes it hard to take time off together...'

: "So, we're guarding Soldiers again? Are we ever going to get away from these things?"

: "We're sure to have more missions once we're inside the Spiral Tree. High risk, so the pay should be great. ...Now I'm motivated!"

: "There you are. Will you accompany me on the next mission, Captain? I'd like to test my compatibility with Julius's God Arc. Theoretically there should be no problems, but... However, Operation Gateway completely depends on whether I can open up the Tree. I need to know for sure."

>Let's go.

"Thank you. It shouldn't be very difficult, since my goal is simply confirmation. The mission should already be available. Go check with the operator."

: "Livie has requested you accompany her on a joint mission. Here are the details...

A Tsukuyomi was found sitting, suspiciously silent, in the Soldier Warehouse. Shake it from its musing with an all-out assault, then destroy it. Polar Cocoon Maidens and Zygotes have been sighted here as well, but they are not your target. Little is known about the Tsukuyomi's habits, and research is still underway."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.
>Subject: (Cc: All) Operation Gateway
>Body:
Operation Gateway will soon be underway. We aren't
allowed to enter the Spiral Tree, but this should get
us one step closer to Julius.

Let's do the best we can.

>Subject: (Cc: All) Operation Gateway
>Body:
Mutsumi and I made oden sandwiches for everyone, just
for today!

You can't fight on an empty stomach, right? I made'em
so we can succeed! Make sure you eat before you
deploy, guys!

>Sender: Strasbourg_Em@NornOS.net
>Subject: Nothing ventured, nothing gained
>Body:
Before the grand undertaking that is Operation
Gateway, I sat down with a nice hot cup of tea. It
was the tea of beginnings. It was the tea of endings.
IT was both at once, actually. Its ultimate form
depends on how we fight today. The path of hope is
not laid out for us, but cut by our steel! No matter
how painful it may be, we must go on! We must create
a shining future! Fear not, brave knight! For the
goddess of victory smiles on those who trust in
themselves, in friends and in all that is good!

(This continues on for several more pages)

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

And of course, the usual adverts for new apparel and practical technological progress.[i]

: "Dr. Kujo is going to be piloting a Soldier, right? I bet he's scared. Researchers don't normally do that... We have to back them up so they can focus on their mission, right?"

: "IC staff, including the Soldiers, have gone ahead to the deployment point. We should hurry up and join them there."

: I'm grateful for your continual assistance, Captain. ...It should be okay now." [i]She indicates with her right arm.
"I promise you that I will cut open a path with Julius's God Arc, no matter what..."

>The operation will go fine.

"Yes...! If you're ready, let's go."

: "Preparations for Operation Gateway are 98% complete. The final stage will be enacted by Blood! Do you have any last minute questions concerning the overall plan?"

>The outline, please

"Making the old Soldier warehouse our entry point, we will use Livie's Blood Art to enter the Tree... Once include, Soldiers will open the way, where we will place an Oracle Control Device to secure a path."

>Can you go over our duty?

"Blood will prevent Aragami from entering while the Control Device is being set inside the Spiral Tree. It is possible that type 1 deusphage Aragami may appear. Prepare for the worst."

>No more questions

"The Fenrir IC has declare that Operation Gateway is a go. Blood will establish a defensive perimeter around Corporal Livie Collete and the God Arc Soldiers as they install the Oracle Control Devices. Be ready for attacks by anything at anytime. Blood's performance is crucial to the success of this operation."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow the game finally found its mojo. Only took it like 50 goddamn missions.

I loled at the loving video though. Goddamn it Kujo you loving goon. Like I'd get it if she injected him with Oracle cells or whatever so he'd be more cooperative, but no, he's just that desperate.
Seriously though what was the backup plan? "well if my apocalypse goes pear-shaped I think I might still be resurrectable using Oracle Cells so I'm gonna use the goon who I sold up the river to...stick Aragami bits near I am?? And I'm sure I can go for round 2 right after."
Like I don't think she predicted this tree thing. That would be absurd if she did.

Also she might be a computer virus??

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The hacking bit was pretty left field there. They could of easily of come up with something else. My guess that it was either a translation error, or an oversight. Something something aberrant oracle cells are overriding automated controls or whatever.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: FAR EAST BRANCH
>Subject: (Cc: All) Loss of Friar
>Body:
Due to the rapidly increasing speed of the Spiral
Tree's expansion, Firar has been swallowed up inside
of it. Due to a quick emergency response, all members
aboard seem to have escaped safely with no deaths or
persons reported missing.

However, Friar is currently completely enveloped
inside the Spiral Tree and recovery has been deemed
impossible.

>Subject: (Cc: All) Defense Op
>Body:
Directive from 1st Unit Captain Kota Fujiki:

We are facing an Aragami horde attack on the Far East
Branch of a scale never seen before.

Each unit, prepare for the unexpected, assemble extra
equipment as needed, and be ready to improvise as
needed on the battlefield.

>Subject: (Cc: All) Defense Op
>Body:
Defense Unit, roger.

Planning temporary redistribution of satellite base
defense assigned to Far East Branch.

Standing by.

>Subject: (Cc: All) Defense Op
>Body:
4th Unit, roger that.

The 4th Unit will abort expedition and standby at Far
East.

>Subject: (Cc: All) Defense Op
>Body:
Lindow here.

Cradle will be going raid-stance as usual.

On standby for further orders.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

Alisa is the first friendly face you see welcome you all back from the evacuation.

: "Oh my gosh, Kimberly! You're okay! There has been a sudden increase in the progress of the contamination, so I was worried! And with this horde of Aragami... We'll have to put our investigation on hold until they're dealt with."

Ciel's a bit wobbly as Nana supports her over to the lounge

: "I can't believe...that Friar got swallowed up by the Spiral Tree... Sorry, I'm just a little bit out of it..."

: "Friar... Romeo's grave... It all got eaten up by the Spiral tree... Kim, will we ever get to put flowers on his grave again?"

: "...We'll definitely dig it out one day. It's time to fight now, Kimberly."

: Putting on the deepest voice she can manage " 'Civilians must evacuate to the shelter.' That's what they told me! Can you believe it?! I'm a full-fledged Far East Branch member too! People depend on me to run the lounge, you know!"

: "A new species of Aragami... First we need to observe then carefully and grasp their attack patterns... There are just so many of them this time... We have to be extra careful not to get surrounded."

: "What the hell are they thinking, asking us to take on all those Aragami by ourselves?! This is no mission for an old man."

: "The Anti-Aragami Wall won't help us against this new species... If they break through our last line of defense... What am I saying?! It's times like this when an operator has to be strong!"

: "The horde of Aragami are pushing in! The Tree's contamination might be connected. Director Feldman asked for you, Kim. It's probably about that!"

You make your way up to the executive level. In the waiting room, Fran and Dr. Sakaki are sitting down.

: "Friar has been taken into the Tree... I know this is no time for sentimentality, but... I'm just glad that Dr. Leah and the rest of Friar's staff managed to evacuate safely before it was swallowed up. ...On the other hand, there's no response from the God Arc Soldier beta beacons or from Dr. Kujo..."

: "I had been waiting for you all to come back, but it looks like we don't have time for idle chat. Director Feldman has your new orders. Go to him for tactical instructions from here on out."

: "Good work on your last mission. I know it is a lot to ask, but I have another urgent task for you. The contamination of the Tree is as big problem, but first we must deal with the Aragami horde and new species."

>What happened to the Tree?

"The control system was hacked, and we can't shut it down. Contamination of the Tree is reaching crisis levels. Also, there's been no sign of Dr. Kujo since he vanished into the Tree's depths piloting that Soldier. Our more pressing problem is the horde of Aragami and the new species - the 'Arc Aberrant.' "

>What's a Arc Aberrant?

"Fenrir chose the name because of their unique God Arc-like body structures. It is thought that the bodies of these Aragami have fused together with God Arcs. The details are still under investigation, so use the utmost caution when facing one."

>What should we do next?

"Stopping the attacks of and eliminating the Aragami besieging the Far East Branch is our top priority. Blood, Cradle, and the Defense Unit will help with the operation - we're deploying everything we have. I'm especially counting on Blood to deal with the new Arc Aberrant species. They are powerful enemies, but beatable. It will be a bitter fight, I know... Still, I have no choice but to ask this of you. I have already sent the mission details to your operator. You are dismissed, Captain Kimberly."

: "A herd of Aragami has been pushed into the ruined commercial district by the oncoming Arc Abberant horde. Clear the ruins of the Sekhmet, fiery Borg Camlann, and Night Hollows infesting it. Because of the large number of Aragami created by the Tree, we lack personnel for defensive ops. Set forth and crush our enemies."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Daiba_Ka@NornOS.net
>Subject: doing my best!
>Body:
the 4th unit is going to join up with tatsumi's 2nd
unit. don't worry about holding the line. leave that
to us!

be careful out there, instructor!

>Sender: Dickinson_Gi@NornOS.net
>Subject: (None)
>Body:
I hear that my 3rd Unit is going to circle around
behind the Aragami herd to flank it.

I hear you're leading the main assault...

Stay safe, okay?

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

Tatsumi pats you on the back as he heads to the main elevator.

: "That masked thing is an Arc Abberant? Talk about 'thick-skulled,' eh? Eh?" He erupts into a chuckle fit "Seriously, though, the next mission's consecutive fights, eh? The Defense Unit won't let ya down!"

>I'll be counting on you!

"Yep, Defense Unit's the name, and that's our game! I'm all over it!"

Gil and Nana are looking at the huge mass of Aragami responses on the strategic map

: "So many Aragami... Are they all because of the Tree's contamination? At this rate, the Far East Branch might bet swallowed up just like Friar..."

: "The Aragami certainly aren't lacking in numbers... Just how I like it! We'll take 'em all on!"

Heading over to the lounge, you bump into Lindow as he was walking out.

: "The next mission includes all Far East God Eaters. Sounds like this is going to be another tough one. Good luck with the Arc Abberant. You can leave the rest to us."

: "I want to stay with Blood for this defense mission... Break through enemy lines and eradicate the Arc Abberant... I plan to see this through to the end."

: "I'm finding myself strangely affected by the loss of Friar... Romeo's grave, and all our memories... I realized that my time there with all of you has become something very important to me..."

Erina's giving Cappy some scritches, upon seeing your approach, she stands up and sighs.

: "After I take a short break, I have to get right back. But however many we cut down, there's always more... I'm not sure if we'll be enough to keep all these Aragami back..."

Shun's slumped in a couch, watching TV.

: "Takin' way my precious off-hours... I'm gonna pay 'em back in spades. And get paid doing it, too!"

: "Don't worry! I'm not scared, not even a little! I know that you will all protect me. Now then, what should I do for dinner...?

You report in to Director Feldman.

: "Thanks to Blood's work, we managed to avoid a worst case scenario. You have my gratitude. Now... We are currently being attacked by waves of Aragami. I want to start a large-scale defense operation. There is one Arc Abberant at the center of the horde called 'Magna Gawain.' That is your target. You should talk to Dr. Leah for the details. You will play the leading role in the strategy. I'm counting on you."

: "All of us left on Friar were only able to escape because Blood dealt with the Arc Aberrant... Thanks. As I watched Friar being taken into the Spiral Tree... I felt sadness, but also a certain...relief... We can talk more of that later. For now, let me tell you what we know of the Arc Aberrant so far. According to the Research Unit's data analysis, they become weaker after the God Arc-like portion is destroyed. It may vary, but in general this seems to hold true. I hope the information will be of some use to you."

: "This will be a large-scale defensive operation involving all deployable units. You will surely face several consecutive battles. Make sure the necessary preparations have been completed."

>I'm ready.

"This five-phase operation is a major counter-offensive to break our enemies' momentum. The Far East Branch and cradle will slowly push our defensive line forward, while Blood slices out of the heart of the enemy swarms to disperse them.

Phase 1: Destroy a charged Chi-You leading new form Aragami, the Silky.
Phase 2: Destroy a Ukonvasara, a magmatic Gboro-Gboro, and a Ravana.
Phase 3: Destroy a Fierce Kongou leading more Silky.
Phase 4: Destroy a Yaksha Raja and a Kongou.
Phase 5: Destroy a Wild Buster Arc Soldier, a Magna Gawain, and thin out more Silky.

Good hunting, Captain Kimberly."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess Kujo's thingy resurrected Romeo along with Rachel :shrug:

drat though what a gauntlet.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I guess Kujo's thingy resurrected Romeo along with Rachel :shrug:

Kujo's sabotage was only tangential and did not revive Romeo.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Sakaki_Pa@FarEast.gov
>Subject: (Cc: All) Mission Accomplished
>Body:
Great work on the large-scale defense mission.

On behalf of the Far East Branch. I'd like to thank
the God Eaters who fended off an entirely new Aragami
species. Thanks also goes to the staff who supported
them. This victory has brought the Far East Branch
and the IC together. We cannot predict what lies
ahead, but I wanted to share the joy of this victory
with everyone.

Paylor Sakaki,
Far East Branch Director.

>Sender: FENRIR INTELLIGENCE CENTER
>Subject: (Cc: All) Situation Control
>Body:
To all Far East Branch Staff:

I first want to apologize for the IC's ineptitude.
Without the support of the Far East Branch and Blood,
we would not have been able to handle such a
difficult task. I thank you on the behalf of everyone
involved in this mission, non-combatants included.

Isaac Feldman,
Intelligence Center

>Subject: (Cc: All) Well done, all!
>Body:
That was a pretty tough mission, but we managed it
somehow. The fact that we could stand against that
Aragami horde and get out with so few casualties is
just incredible. I think it's thanks to Blood and the
4th's great work on the field. I'd like to thank them
publicly here.

Great work, guys! We all owe you one.

>Subject: (Cc: All) I'm sorry
>Body:
Sorry, guys. I couldn't protect Kanon, and I got
taken out right after that myself...

The 4th was really pitiful this time.

I've got no excuse.

>Subject: (Cc: All) Thanks!
>Body:
I'm with Captain Tatsumi on this one!

>>Haru
If you hadn't kept the balance on the front and back
lines, even the Defense Unit wouldn't have made it
out of that one unscathed. Thanks. I dunno why the
Aragami suddenly backed off, but I am sure glad they
did.

>Subject: (Cc: All) Good stuff
>Body:
You all done real good!

Take a well-deserved break, and we can all share a
bite together later.

>Sender: Kusunoki_Li@NornOS.net
>Subject: (URGENT) Romeo's God Arc
>Body:
Good work out there. THis is kinda sudden, but when
you get back, could you come to the storage vault?
There's something I want to tell you about Romeo's
God Arc. I've told Fran about this as well, so have
her bring you.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

Weary God Eaters are on a well-deserved break in the lobby, and elsewhere. It was down to the wire in many places, and repair work will take time to finish. Licca can wait a few minutes as you take the elevator up to the infirmary level.

: "Captain Kimberly, visiting hours are over. Were you here to see someone?"

>How's the 4th doing?

She calmly reads out loud from a datapad "Haruomi and Kanon have sustained injuries... The 4th must have had it pretty hard back there..."

>Is Haru in his room?

"Haruomi insisted he was fine and rushed out. ...Even though I told him he needs to rest..."

>How is Kanon doing?

"Kanon is recovering in the infirmary. She's sleeping quite peacefully now. We aren't allowing visitors at this time, however. We're still busy picking up after the power outage."

Thank goodness, they're going to be alright. You head over to Fran at the front desk.

: "Licca has called for Blood to assemble at the God Arc storage vault."

>I'll head there now.

"Right this way..."

Click here to view.

You defer to Licca in all things God Arc related, however this case is rather far-fetched even to believe at face value. You've never heard of such a thing before, through the years of God Arc development. Had they known, you're sure that Licca and Soma would of said something. And it'd be rather awkward to just go up to someone and ask if they know anything about a soul in a God Arc.

The elevator reaches the lobby as you mull this over.

: "Thank goodness we managed to drive them off... For a minute there I wasn't sure we would make it!"

: "That was a tough fight, all right... The Aragami sure picked a good time to give up, though.

: "The successful repulsion of the Arc Abberant means the investigation of the Tree can resume. Livie's opening in the Tree is still holding up, I hear, but the contaimination is bad. I hope we can get in easily..."

Ciel and Nana are down in the pit.

: "The power outage the branch experienced... So, it was caused by Romeo's Blood Power after all... Emergency power, the Anti-Aragami Wall - too many things rely on Oracle technology right now... Sealing Romeo's God Arc may be our only choice at this point..."

: "Kim! Did you hear? Romeo's Blood Power was 'Repel'! It sounds really strong. It's just... I dunno...Not very 'Romeo-like,' y'know?"

You head up to the meeting room to report in. Director Sakaki greets you first.

: "Holding back a horde that large - you've really outdone yourself this time! You have my thanks. Thanks to that, the IC has been very amicable lately... I want to respond in kind."

: "I guess that means the immediate threat is gone. It's just...that power was..."

: "Taking out all those Aragami - The Far East Branch is really home to the best of the best God Eaters! I'm just glad that Corporal Livie came out okay..."

: "I still have no idea how the Arc Aberrants were born, but the God Arc Soldier storage on the Friar... There were prototype God Arcs, as well as ones that hadn't yet been matched with a compatible user on board. It could be that those God Arcs, absorbed into the Tree, somehow fused with the Aragami..." More to herself than you "Yes, it's feasible."

: "Thanks to your good work, we got some good data to work with. Blood Arts and Blood Powers, eh...? And a secret weapon that can even force a horde of Aragami to take to their heels!"

: "Good work with the Arc Aberrant. Now, I want you to start on your next mission, but we have a problem. According to our measurements, conditions inside the Tree are very bad, including Oracle Cell storms. We need to investigate this more before entering. Please wait while we make further arrangements."

You burn your R&R time in the lounge

: "Kimberly! You all protected me, just like I knew you would! That's why I made something special for you all. Eat up and get that energy back!"

She shoves a plate of mouth-watering fried chicken and grilled corn-on-the-cob your way.

"Hey Blood, this seat taken?"

Lindow invites himself to a stool next to yours.

: "Nice looking grub there! Got any of that chicken left, Mutsumi?"

>I take it this was your doing?

"Maybe. Great work out there by-the-by, I knew you had it in you! I think you deserved something special for today."

>Thank you very much! I've been meaning to ask -

"I said I was married! Oh, don't give me that face, what's the question?"

>How'd you end up with the arm?

"Eh, this thing?" Raising the gilded arm up "I got lost for a while, and a couple of friends brought me back. Why the sudden interest?"

>Just was curious, that's all.

You two finish up your meals, Lindow excuses himself first, and heads on out. You wonder if you'll ever get the entire story out of him. Continuing the rounds in the lounge, Yuno and Emil are near the Billiards table, Alisa is feeding Cappy, and Kota's watching TV.

: "We were in trouble, weren't we...? Actually I was at one of the satellite bases. Suddenly there was a huge roar and everything went dark. Everyone was on the verge of panic! Then when I came here, I heard that Friar was swallowed by the Tree... Oh Romeo..."

: "I felt it clearly - the presence of the dark one! Just as with the psion, Polarstern froze, unmovable! However, I broke the dark curse and apparently fixed the Far East's outage as well. A knight's soul truly shines bright!"

: "We have to hurry and assess the damage. I have a feeling it spread wider than we think this time." She lets out a sigh "But for now, a short rest. That last battle was really something else..."

: "Wow, it's over! Towards the end there, I had no idea what was going on anymore, though... Oh well. Anyway, time for a break! it sounds like we don't have to worry about Aragami attacks for a while now."

: "Aragami activity has quieted down as a result of Repel's power, so we will be resuming the investigation. Oracle Cell-triggered weather conditions are making the entrance dangerous. Head to the old Soldier warehouse.

A Tezcatlipoca, accompanied by a Silky and Dreadpikes, has been found in the old Soldier warehouse. Exterminate this infestation. While the primary purpose of this mission is to destroy these Aragami, it will also help us survey the material losses Friar sustained, and assess the salvage opportunities here as well."

Click here to view.

: "I hear the top guns from the IC and Far East are meeting with researchers now. As soon as they finish, I'm sure we'll be next. Let's get a mission or two in to warm ourselves up!

: "They're going to improve the Anti-Aragami-Wall using Oracle Cells we got from the Arc-Aberrant! we don't know when another Aberrant might suddenly strike. Gotta do what we can, while we can!"

You open the door to the lounge, and notice a familiar mop of pink hair sitting at the bar. You rush over to give her a quick hug.

: "Hello yourself! Sorry for making you worry back there during the defense operation...And after you taught me so much, Kimberly! I have no excuse!"

: "Hey, where's my hug? Whoa, whoa, put that down!" He laughs. "When I was in the infirmary, I totally though I had died - pitch black, nobody around, y'know? Turns out I was just too whacked out on meds when the outage struck to know better, hah!"

There's a few others in the lounge. Urara's at the bar, Gina and Gil are at the billiard's table, and Ciel's over by Cappy's pen.

: "Fran really is amazing... I know how bad she must feel about losing Friar, but she just continues to work hard, showing nothing! I have a lot to learn from her... I'm so happy i can work here at the Far East Branch!"

: "Romeo and his God Arc - they must have had a truly special connection... I think it's beautiful."

: "So we can't get into the Tree until the Oracle Cells have settled down? Does that mean the only thing we can do is just wait? You've got to be kidding..."

: "The Oracle storm inside the Tree... Could that be the Tree trying to keep us out?"

Out of curiosity, you head up to the executive level. The guard posted outside the door (does he ever go on a break?) stops you, as usual, from entering the meeting room.

: "A secret meeting is underway. You can't go in." He puts on a conspiratorial look while continuing. ...But are you interested to know what kind of a meeting it is?"

>So interested.

"I'll tell you then! They're discussing how to get into the Tree! Not just the IC, but also the Far East scientists and engineers - everyone's in on it! Nobody's giving up!"

: "I've received a new mission for Blood. Is everyone ready? Director Felman has asked to hear your mission briefing in the meeting room after you return. As soon as you return, please head straight there. Here are the mission details...

Destroy the polar Gboro-Gboro and the Chrome Gawain that have shown up by the mountain reservoir. If Aragami destroy the dam, it will cause severe flooding downriver. This is a rush job."

Click here to view.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.
>Subject: (Cc: All) God Arc Changes
>Body:
I'm sharing the mission plan here with everyone.

-Use control device to stabilize Oracle Cells, switch
from Julius's God Arc to Romeo's.
-Acquire Romeo's Blood Power via the above.
-Neutralize Oracle storm and enter Spiral Tree.

Please reply if you have questions or notice any
discrepancies.

Livie Collete,
IC

>Sender: Amiella_Al@NornOS.net
>Subject: Leave it to me!
>Body:
I heard the news from Soma. If there is anything I
can do to help you set up the base camp, just let me
know. I've learned a thing or two from building all
those satellite bases. I'll show you just what I can
do!

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "This whole situation with Livie bonding with Romeo's God Arc... Is it really okay?"

>What do you mean?

"I'm talking about Livie's physical condition... When she tried to bond with Julius's God Arc, her face was twisted, as if in great pain... I understand that we have no other choice, but... I'm just hoping there aren't any bad repercussions. I plan to keep an extra close watch."

: "It's pretty amazing that Romeo's Blood Power can easily take out weaker Aragami! But it's even MORE amazing how Livie is trying to control it herself! C'mon, we can't get left behind!"

: "I've made sure Romeo's Arc can be used at any time! But it's very powerful, so it'll be hard to control. That's why I want you to keep your eyes on Livie the whole time, okay? Promise?"

: "Sorry for making you do this...but don't worry. I'll control Romeo's God Arc, no matter what. Because...I have to."

Gina walks out of the lounge door

: "I don't care what the mission is. In the end, my job is the same. ...Planting my beautiful flower seeds into Aragami skulls. I wonder what kind of flowers will bloom in the Spiral Tree..."

...Is she really packing flower seeds in her bullets?

: "Everyone's been so busy lately, so I was thinking of making some bento boxes for you all to take with you! I wonder what kind of stuff everyone would want... You, Kim, can look forward to some delicious fried chicken!"

You head up to the meeting room to report in.

: "I want you all to support Livie, so she can give her full attention to bonding with Romeo's God Arc. Your Evoke skill may once again prove useful to her, just as it helped draw forth Julius's power as well."

: "Being able to control Romeo's Blood Power 'Repel' will make the Oracle storm safe and allow access to the tree. Then it's just a matter of eliminating Rachel's contamination and ultimately restoring Julius. I am grateful for the spirit of coopertation between us. Let us fight together for the future of mankind."

: "So, the contamination of the Tree was Racehl's backup plan in case the Devouring Apocalypse didn't happen. Dr. Kujo, having received a prewritten message from Rachel, set about to revive her as instructed. He planned to gather the fragments of her consciousness by fusing the Emeth Device with the Tree. As a result, her will is now spreading like a virus within the Tree, threatening to destroy all mankind. As her sister, and as a scientist, I swear to stop her. I won't let anyone else become one of her victims. "

: "I have received a new mission for Blood, specifically...

A defense unit sent a Demiurge packing, pushing it all the way back against the coast. Someone needs to go finish the job. Be warned that a Corrosive Hannibal response has been detected near the operation area. It may choose to interfere in your mission."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Strasbourg_Em@NornOS.net
>Subject: Romeo, oh Romeo...
>Body:
It is said that a knight's soul resides in his sword.
Romeo...your knightly spirit still remains, sheathed
in your blade after the demise of your physical form.
Yes, that steely will that wished nothing more than
to save others, it shall never die! And that spirit
shall become part of us, to one day be passed through
us to future generations.

Ah, Sir Romeo!

I, Emil, have inherited your heart and your soul!

This continues on for several more pages, hitting
the character limit...and the rest of the new mail is
apparently all from Emil. All of them hitting the
character limit.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "Hey, Kim. I was just thinking... When Livie bonded with Julius's God Arc, we saw Julius fighting, right? I wonder... What we will see when she bonds with Romeo's...?"

: "Romeo's God Arc is...really something... It's all I can do to keep it from going wild. I need to strengthen my bond with it..."

: "Alisa has implored my assistance in securing materials for the base camp! If you ever need my aid, hesitate nor to ask! A knight never ignores the pleas of a friend!"

Heading to the lounge, there's a big pile of boxes on the counter, Kota's currently eating from one

: "Hey! I hear they're gonna send Soldiers from Friar for us! That'll make the Defense Unit's job a lot easier. We'll team up with them to keep open a route to the old Soldier warehouse. You guys just go wild - that's all I ask!"

From behind the pile, you hear Mutsumi's voice talking outloud to herself.

: "Umm... Bento boxes for everyone and... Oh my gosh! I have to make the food for base camp!"

: "Kota's crew will secure the supply lines. It sounds like base camp construction is also well under way. They've got our backs, so we just need to move forward - no matter what lies ahead."

: "Please continue to help Livie as she tries to control the God Arc. The advance of an Amaterasu across the plains forced a salvage team to drop everything and hightail it. This Aragami must be destryoed, and the safety of the plains reestablished. Amaterasu was named after an ancient Far Eastern sun goddess. It uses flame and its massive body to attack."

>I really don't want to make another NSFW video, can I do a different mission?

Certainly, we have a number of choices to choose from. Another Unit can take care of the Amaterasu.

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Vogelweid_Er@NornOS.net
>Subject: Emil's mail
>Body:
Have you gotten any mail from that loudmouthed idiot?
They're really long and totally unreadable, so the
best thing to do is just ignore them.

Strangely enough, when I'm feeling really down and I
read them, I somehow feel like smiling.

Weird.

>Sender: Dickinson_Gi@NornOS.net
>Subject: Resonances
>Body:
Us 1st-generation God Eaters will will have the
chance to experience resonances, will we?

I...just wish I could feel one. Even just once. I
think through it, we could experience true empathy.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "Livie is giving a report in the meeting room. I believe your presence was request, Kimberly."

You head on up to check in.

: "Captain Kimberly, I have an important report. I finally passed the God Arc control tests in simulation. I'm ready to head to the Tree now."

>You can control it already?

"Yes, at least, I know i can keep it from going wild. I should be able to render the Oracle Cells harmless. It's just...I haven't totally mastered it yet. Bonding fully with the God Arc will take time."

>How should we proceed?

"I will use the Blood Power to render the Oracle Cells harmless. Then we can push further inside. The areas we pass through will be safe for a time, so even normal God Eaters should be able to enter. We will work to expand the safe zone, using control devices to stabilize each area as we continually move deeper inside. It will be a long operation and exhaustion will be an issue, so we will need to secure relief personnel and proceed with caution."

>Let's head to the Tree.

"Yes, let's go. We need to restore Julius as the Singularity and bring the Tree back to its natural state."

: "As I'm sure you've heard, Livie has completed her bond. We will now be able to begin investigating the mid layer. Find and eliminate the contamination's source, but our ultimate goal is restoring Julius as the Singularity. I'm grateful for Livie's work. Go together and scout out the inside of the Spiral Tree. That is all."

: "I agree with his assessment. So even if you happen to see Julius, please do nothing. Move only on our orders. I understand your feelings here, and i know I'm asking a lot of you, but please heed my words.

Meanwhile in the lounge, at the billiards table.

: "I don't know why, but I always seem to win at billiards - it just always goes my way. Haru, they tell me I get too worked up during missions... Am I really that worked up? Is it really that bad?"

He shrugs.

: "The 4th Unit's pretty pitiful though... Two out of two down for the count! We should just do janitor work.[/i]

"Wh-what are you saying, Haru?! If you talk like that, how can I be strong and confident?"

"All right, psychological tactics have proven super effective... Today I'll definitely beat Kanon!"

: "We will begin investigation the Tree's mid layer. Expect drawn-out battles until base camp is completed. We don't know what will happen from here on out. Make sure each and every God Eater is fully prepared.

Before the investigation of the mid layer can begin, the area needs to be cleared of Aragami in a three-phase operation. Be prepared for a long campaign in the field. Piloted Soldiers have secured a safe line of retreat, just in case.

Phase One: Eliminate a Borg Camlann and a Quadriga.
Phase Two: Eliminate a Polar Kongou, a Gboro-Gboro and a Vajra.
Phase Three: Eliminate a Ukonvasara, and a unknown Aragami response. Caution is advised.

Click here to view.

Bonus field camp image:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's really stupid and disappointing. An unintentional resurrection would have been way more interesting than "well we got his soul stuck in his god ark somehow idk"

I like the new arena though. And I see we have a God Eater Goon Krew too.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Would you be surprised if I told you there was a precedent for it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Not really. It's a common enough trope in Japanese media, off the top of my head starforce 3 basically did this too after Luna bit it (speaking of which, I miss my old avatar). So I'm not surprised that it came up in this game. It's just it feels very lazy. You're trying to have the drama of a dead character while also keeping him not dead because...

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Amiella_Al@NornOS.net
>Subject: (Cc: All) The Base Camp
>Body:
Blood Unit, the preparations for the base camp are
now complete. All that's left is to secure a supply
route, and construction can begin.

Just a little longer now!

>Sender: Claudius_Le@FIC.gov
>Subject: Samples Delivered
>Body:
Great job with the Tree expedition. The Oracle Cell
samples you brought back from the inner part of the
tree have been delivered to Dr. Soma. I will continue
looking into the Tree with the help of the IC and the
Far East Branch.

We'll keep working as hard as you all have, the best
way we know how.

>Sender: Chikura_Mu@NornOS.net
>Subject: Great Job!
>Body:
I'm waiting for you guys with a lot of piping hot,
tasty good!

Wash your hands before you come to the lounge!

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "We on fire in the last fight. You young'ns making us work harder to keep up the pace."

>That's the plan!

He chuckles "Don't worry. Cradle will right there with you. Oh, and one more thing. That God Eater, Livie? I know her type. She'll try something reckless the moment you take your eyes off her. Support her when she needs it, okay?"

: "The inside of the Tree is...all Oracle Cells, right? But the color is weird... I wonder if it's sick... It seemsl ike the Tree is in pain... Does that mean Julius is in pain too? We have to find him soon..."

: "The Soldiers have placed Oracle Control Devices and are holding the areas that have been cleared of Aragami. Because of that, deployment of the Research Unit is proceeding much more smoothyl, as is the search for Dr. Kujo. The more we clear, the faster the investigation goes. We really have no time to waste."

Heading into the lounge, there's only a handful of people present. Kanon's practicing billiards, Ciel's eating at the bar, and Shun's watching TV.

: "Hey Kim, got my mail? Here's your meal!" She slides you a steaming plate of baked dumplings. "I was researching everyone's favorite foods for the bento boxes, and you know what Haru said when I asked? 'Anything's fine, as long as I can eat it with a lady.' ...Does that mean I should eat his bento with him?"

You politely correct her before digging into the food.

: "Enjoying the dumplings? I was speaking with Dr. Sakaki, and he said that it's very difficulty to predict when the inactive Oracle Cells will become active again. I know we want to hurry, but it is important to remove Aragami for the teams installing the control devices too."

: Sighing as he turns towards you "All these back-to-back missions are tough... Not even phsyically, really. I've got to administer my own Bias Factor and run away from all those Arc Aberrants when they show up out of nowhere!"

Kanon's a far cry from the lady you introduced billiards to. She just played a perfect game with no misses. And no bruises on your forehead. She stands at attention when you greet her.

: I'm searching for a base camp site with the Defense Unit, but it isn't easy... A place where the Oracle Cells are calm and Aragami don't travel - it's hard, but we'll find it for sure!"

You check in on Dr. Sakaki in his office.

: "Alisa reports taht she has secured the base camp materials. I'm leaving the location to Tatsumi's crew. Also...there are multiple reports of Aragami emerging from cocoons inside the Spiral Tree... That kind of behavior is outside normal Aragami nature. Arc Aberrants are something different...unique."

: "Blood has orders to continue investigating the mid layer of the Spiral Tree. This mission is also expected to be a long one. Please make sure you are sufficiently prepared.

Phase 1: Eliminate a God Arc Soldier Zero
Phase 2: Disperse a flock of charged Zygotes, and eliminate a charged Chi-You and a wandering Sariel.
Phase 3: Eliminate a Hannibal and investigate and eliminate unknown Aragami responses.

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Schneider_Ka@NornOS.net
>Subject: These missions keep a-changing
>Body:
Until the base camp is finished, I'm on candidate
site search duty. I'll do my best to keep an eye out
for good places, since I hear the danger pay for this
is great. If you want, I'll even bring you along.

>Sender: Schicksal_So@NornOS.net
>Subject: Oracle Cells in the Spiral Tree
>Body:
Those Cells you brought back. They're a lot more...
"socialble" than other Oracle Cells. To put it in
simplier terms, Oracle Cells are single-celled
organisms that exist only to devour other organisms.
Aragami are essentially amalgamations of innumerable
Oracle Cells, or myxomycetes if you will. Maybe
dictyostelid is more apt. Oracle Cells transfer energy
they take in between them at blinding speeds.
(Continued in my next mail)

(U: myxomycete - slime molds, dictyostelid - social amoeba that combine together when food is scarce)

>Sender: Schicksal_So@NornOS.net
>Subject: Continued
>Body:
This isn't simple energy transfer, but something more
akin to how humans cooperate, forming societies that
can accomplish tasks greater than any given
individual. It's emergent behavior. A symbiosis of
highly specialised, highly evolved parts. The whole
becoming more than the sum of its parts. This gives
the theory that the Devouring Apocalypse is nature's
way of redistrubiting life more validity. Whatever
the case, I'll need more samples. keep up the good
work. I'll let you know anything else I find.

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "I had a look at the report on the Tree. In particular, I'm interested in how the Tree is similar to a vascular plant. If it has conductive sieve tubes, or phloem-like structures, they may be more than one way to the top. Finding one will be easier said than done, but at least we may have a sliver of hope."

(U: ...We have helicopters, what is preventing the use of them and boring into the top layer?)

: "Thanks to your efforts, the Research Unit has been able to find Soldier and intelligence officer remains... They also found Dr. Kujo's partially absorbed Soldier... It looked like he got out of the cockpit on his own. The chances that he can survive all by himself inside the Tree are incredibly low..."

: "According to our data, the Tree contamination grows more intense the further up the tree we go. And according to Dr. Sakaki, the strangle uncontaminate thing that progressed upward was most likely Dr. Rachel's will. And if her goal is truly to restart the Devouring Apocalypse, she will undoubtedly need Julius to accomplish it. Meaning that Julius - the Singularity - is likely in the upper layer. ...I think Dr. Sakaki might be right."

: "How much farther is that? It feels like we're just going around in circles in the exact same place!"

: "Yo, Kimberly! We whipped up a nice base camp location for you just like Dr. Sakaki asked! They've already started construction! Once it's finished, Tree research should get a bit easier."

On a whim, you knock on the door to Dr. Soma's laboratory, and after a brief moment, he calls you in.

: "The results of the Spiral tree study are in the mail that I just sent... Have you read it yet? Currently no technology exists that can control the cells of the Devourign Apocalypse. With Retro Oracle Cells, however... Even so, the pure-blooded Kyuubi...and the Tree that swallows everything near it... A beginning and an end... I feel like it's pointing to something..."

Attempting to report in, the guard outside the meeting room stops you. He looks... rather somber today, more than usual.

: "You can't use the meeting room now. They found the broken God Arc Soldiers... Now my friend can finally go home... After all this time..."

: "I've recieved a new misison for Blood. Is everyone ready?

A scouting party has phoned in that a charged Borg Camlann and a polar Kongou are heading toward a satellite base. Intercept them at the park in Academy City.

Click here to view.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

: "I saw them working on the base camp today! Alisa was giving the workers a good whiping down there! She really has a way of bringing people of all types in line! Maybe I should practice my shouting voice too!"

: "Thanks to Cradle and the Defense Unit, base camp construction is proceeding smoothly. It won't be long now...

: "Nice work out there, Instructor! Have you been getting enough rest lately? I'm pretty sure you're okay, but there are plenty of people who got sick from the miasma in the Tree. Dr. Sakaki says I've got a resistance to that kind of stuff. I'll just keep doing my best to lighten everyone's load as always!

Down in the pit, Licca's going over a datapad.

: "I've been researching Repel with Soma lately. Saying that it completely stops Oracle Cells would be wrong. Rather, I think it makes them... 'infinitely slow.' The Aragami aren't big fans of that, it would seem."

Entering the lounge, Ciel invites you over by the bar.

: "In order to ensure an operation's success, taking regular breaks is important! Will you join me?"

>That's why I'm here, actually.

"Th-that's great! Do you want something to drink? Uh, the menu is right over here..."

The two of you share your R&R pleasantly chatting and sharing tea. You can't help but overhear Shun and Brendan talking over the light jazzy music.

: "Recently it's been that creepy Tree 24/7... They oughtta give us a 'sorry it's so creepy' allowance."

: "You'll get used to it, eventually."

"I'm not jaded like you, Brendan! I'm still pure! come on! Let's listen to music or something on our next shift."

Brendan changes the subject. "Have you seen black butterflies in the Tree, Shun? I saw some while scouting for a base camp site."

"Oh, I've heard about that. You're probably just mixing 'em up with Sariels, I bet."

"No, it was definitely a small black butterfly. I thought it was strange, and when I reached out, it flew away."

: "I've received a new mission for Blood, specifically...

A Garm has been attacking Oracle Control Devices and needs to be put down before it can destroy the logistic backbone. A Chi-You has also been seen swooping in and out of the mission area. Both are to be exterminated before further damage can happen."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Amamiya_Li@NornOS.net
>Subject: I forgot to tell you
>Body:
That box sitting in base camp... I put it there while
I was helping out with construction.

You'd better not go opening it up!

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

: "Kimberly! We managed to finish construction of the base camp! You can use it anytime! Now, while we're looking for a way to the upper layer, we can search for a site for the next base camp!"

: "I'll do my best to find a way to the upper layer! I may not look it, but I have pretty good eyesight! I might even find it before you, Kimberly! We should make it a race!" She punctuates it with a giggle.

You head up to report in to Director Feldman.

: "Now that the base camp is complete, our most pressing duty is to find a way to the upper layer. We've formed several search teams for recon. If you find anything, let us know."

Outside the meeting room, Gil is walking to Dr. Sakaki's office and stops to speak with you.

: "Dr. Sakaki was looking for us. It sounded like it was something important about Julius..."

: "Sorry for asking you to come here. I'd like to discuess the Spiral Tree contamination and...Julius. Now... Where shall I start...?"

>The contamination?

"Well, the search of the mid layer is almost complete, and we've found the contamination is stronger higher up. If we plot this on a curve, we can estimate that the level of contamination in the upper layer is quite serious. It's likely that Dr. Rachel's will, searching for the Singularity, has moved upward in its search."

>Julius?

"We're out of clues. Ever since Operation Gateway's failure, we can barely even pick up Julius's signal. However, the evidence suggests that he is likely somewhere in the Tree's upper layer."

>And your conclusion?

"The contamination is spreading higher and higher, towards where I believe the Singularity is located. Julius is likely either currently being weakened by the contamination or is already coming under its control. It's even possible that Dr. Rachel will take the core from Julius and become the Singularity herself... If that is the case, Julius would be no longer needed for the Devouring Apocalypse and could possibly be saved... Still, if Dr. Rachel managed to achieve the Apocalypse, this entire world will meet its end anyway..."

: "...It's simple then."

"Hmm...?"

"...In other words, we just need to beat Dr. Rachel to stop the Apocalypse, then we can bring Julius back."

"Well... That's no more than a theory at this point, but..."

Gil continues "I won't give up. I don't plan on making the same mistake twice. No matter what. Right, Kimberly?"

>...As crazy as this sounds, as long as there's the hope of saving him, I won't stop. Let's go."

Dr. Sakaki absorbs the banter, and replies "...Yes, that may be true. I would prefer that you prioritized stabilizing the Tree over saving him, but... You are the ones putting your lives on the line. I...leave the final judgement to you. I won't stand in your way anymore. After all, you never give up, always doggedly clinging to hope. I've seen people like you bring about miracles time and time again."

Gil puts his hand on your shoulder "Kimberly, I knew you'd say something like that. Let's go save him...no matter what."

: "Honestly, I had sort of given up on bringing him back... That's why I tried not to think about what would happen after we found him in the Tree. But it's just as you and Gil say. We can't gie up. I can't give up...as long as there is a chance."

: "I'm never giving up! We're going to save him for sure! He won't have to be alone anymore! Yeah! But first we just need to find him! Everything else comes after that!"

During this conversation, Soma had been a silent observer. He finally speaks up after Blood finishes and files out of the room.

: "It happened quite a while back, but one time Lindow was almost done in by the Aragami infection, you know. There was no way to fix it, and he'd about given up. But my pal, the 1st Unit's captain, said something I still remember... 'Don't run from living.' You just gotta push through. I have a soft spot for anyone stubborn enough to understand that."

: "The mid layer base camp has been completed and a stable route to the mid layer secured. Blood has been assigned an ew mission. Please attend to it when you are ready.

A Susano'o that slipped into the old Soldier Warehouse has started munching on some abandoned Soldiers. Destroy it and all the small Aragami following it. Remember, this area is quite close to the entrance to the Tree. We cannot allow Aragami to have free reign here."

Click here to view.

: You have unread mail.
.
.
.

>Sender: Kozumi_Na@NornOS.net
>Subject: Gotta rest up!
>Body:
Ever since the base camp got finished, I feel like
I've been able to keep my energy up over more
missions! Gotta have somewhere to come back to and
take it easy!

>Sender: Makabe_Ha@NornOS.net
>Subject: Long Live Cradle
>Body:
I found some beer in the base camp emergency stores!
Those Cradle folks really know how to make me happy.
I had one just a sec ago, and man, a beer after
work really is the best, know what I'm sayin'? By the
way, any idea why it was in the emergency stores and
not with the other rations? You heard anything about
that?

.
.
.
: No unread mail.

And the usual adverts for new apparel, and technological developments.

: "We just recieved a report from Dr. Sakaki. Apparently the 4th found an entrance to the upper layer. Just like last time, first we need to survey the area around the entrance. Let's hurry up and do this, Captain."

: "There's...something I've wanted to ask you... It's about Julius. Judging from the situation, it's possible that he as already...met his end inside the Tree. And even if he's still alive, there's no way we could bring him back. He is the Singularity, after all... Even then...do you still plan to go after him?"

>...I won't give up

"I see... Thank you. I think I understand... Next is the upper layer. Let's make our preparations."

You head to the lounge. A rare sight out of the engineering bay, Damien's at the bar.

: "The entrance ot the upper layer, huh? I hope we don't get Arc Aberrants, or an Aragami hore like last time..."

>We'll just send'em packing

"Whoa there, are you serious? ...But I guess anything could be possible with you guys. I've been getting weak-kneed and timid lately. I guess i'm startin' to get up there in age..."

: "I was thinking of making a bento box for you, Kim... What kind of food do you like?"

>Western food.

"A hamburger or an omelette or something? I'll need to think of a good sauce... She scans her condiments selection before zeroing in on a non-descript bottle Alright, got it! I'll make something delicious! You just leave it to me!"

You report in to the directors.

: "We plan to install an Oracle Control Device to stabilize the entrance ot the Tree's upper layer, but... The Oracle storm is stronger this time, and we also have these 'black butterfly' sightings... We have to keep a close eye on these developments. Prepare for the unexpected and be careful."

: "There was a report that a search team found an entry to the upper layer. I hear it was Kanon who discovered it. We've also detected an unusual bias field pulse unlike anything we've seen before. Director Feldman is worried. If you ever feel that things are getting out of hand, don't be afraid to immediately back out, okay?"

And back down to the lobby, Kanon's beaming as she spots you.

: "Kimberly! I found the way to the upper layer before you! Not gonna lie, I'm feeling pretty good right now!"

: "Thanks to everyone's efforts, we have recieved confirmation that a path to the upper layer has been found. However, it seems that there is strong Oracle Cell activity blockign our passage, just as before. Anything could happen, so make sure you are fully prepared.

We will be investigating the entrance to the upper layer of the Tree, found in the mid layer. Destroy the surrounding Aragami and make sure it is safe to proceed. An unknown large Arc Aberrant response was also detected in the area. Expect fierce resistance. If you feel that the situation is untenable, retreat."

Click here to view.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Now that would have been an excellent moment for the protagonist to talk again, though I give points for letting the MC take a few swings.

I take it you can make the Enhaijar blades for your own god arc?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I take it you can make the Enhaijar blades for your own god arc?

Technically, yes. The Einherjar's God Arc component are the long blades, and you could of made them by the time you could make the third upgrade to the Kurogane line, or the Shirogane. I'm not sure which one it is as I've never upgraded a long blade.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The team escorts Livie to the evac and they head up to the infirmary. You, however, have to report in to Dr. Sakaki.

: "I see... So Julius was still in the Tree after all... But if we release him, we also unleash eternal destruction upon the world... Captain Kimberly, I will need time to consider this. I would report to Director Feldman as soon as possible."

: "The Oracle Cells in the Tree are acting up again, and clashes with Arc Aberrants are becoming more frequent. It is almost certain that they were created by Dr. Rachel's will. They must be researched and exterminated. We must eliminate her will and restore Julius before the Devouring Apocalypse can occur once more.

: "As a result of our research, we've managed to pinpoint the origin of the Arc Aberrant Aragami. When Friar was absorbed by the Tree, the Soldiers and God Arcs were absorbed as well. Rachel's will within the tree used these God Arcs to create the Arc Aberrants."

: "You were right next to her, and what the hell did you do? Do you understand Corporal Livie's feelings at all?! I tried to hard to understand the data so this wouldn't happen... In the end, I couldn't do a thing..."

You head on down to the infirmary, to see what the situation is.

: "I...had no idea that Livie was in Magnolia Compass... I wonder how she felt... I mean, I hate saying this, but it's because of Julius that she lost the only place she belonged... I...want to talk with Livie some more..."

: "If we can get rid of Rachel's will by exterminating Arc Aberrants, then I can't wait to get started. First comes Livie's recovery, though. Anything else comes after that."

: "I'm sorry, but no one may visit Livie at this time. I will inform you when she regains consciousness."

And you head back down to the lobby, Teruomi's assisting Hibari and Lindow is nearby

: "It's a good thing we followed Urara's plan and had the Defense Unit secure an escape route. Several of the control Devices stabilizing the area were damaged, though. We need to fix them as soon as possible."

: "It seems the Arc Aberrants are becoming more aggressive... Looks like we have a hard road ahead. But we can't just let Dr. Rachel do whatever the hell she wants, right? We need to pull ourselves together and fight!"

: "With Livie still unconcious, we can make no further progress in the Tree until she recovers. Also, I have a directive from Director Feldman. He requests that we focus on destroying Arc Aberrants.

An Aether has slipped into the subway tunnels, and the Far East Branch is unprepared for an assault from below. Head into the tunnels and expunge this threat. A Silky and fiery Zygote has also followed the Aether into the tunnels and are also considered primary targets."

Click here to view.

: "Kim! Livie regained consciousness! I just heard about it from Yae! Let's go pay her a visit! Apparently she can't leave the infirmary yet."

Director Feldman intercepts you upon reaching the infirmary level.

: "Captain Kimberly... Although Livie has regained consciousness... She will need some time for rehabilitation. You must be patient until she can return to the field of duty."

: "She will still need some time before returning to the field, though. She seems to remember everything up to losing consciousness, so there shouldn't be any lasting effects. If you don't mind, could you talk with her? She seemed to be worried about everyone in Blood."

Click here to view.

: "I've requested to join Livie's rehabilitation until she fully recovers. I want to...suport her somehow, in whatever way I can."

>Don't let her overdo it.

"Of course. That's why I'm going in the first place."

: "Don't worry about me... Despite how I may look, I'm quite confident in my body's resilience. I'm planning to head back to the field immediately. Wait just a bit longer for me."

And again, Director Feldman stops you outside, just before the elevator.

: "So you paid Livie a visit. Did she...say anything?

>Romeo was her old friend.

"I see... So she told you... Livie has finally found friends, then..."

Riding the elevator down, Gil turns to you.

: "So Romeo has always been a meddlesome little bugger, eh? Heh, just like him. Let's all go to Julius. With Livie...and Romeo."

: "We are monitoring the entrance to the upper layer, but there is no specific Aragami activity at this time. However, our search is being held up by the recently active Oracle Cells. Until Livie recovers, all we can do is take out Aragami in the near vicinity.

Head to the abandoned factory and eliminate Aragami gnawing on the architecture. Targets include a Prithvi Mata, a polar Gboro-Gboro, and a number of Cocoon Maidens."

Click here to view.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

I've been meaning to ask for a while now - does the PC version have the alternate character packs? And if it does, are you planning to show them off at any point?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

What do you mean by 'alternate character packs'? Costumes?

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

There's free DLC for the Vita and PS4 versions where the game gives you duplicate versions of every character except Kigurumi; they have alternate God Arcs, Blood Arts, and skill loadouts and their outfits are in a different color. You can only take them on Free Missions, but they count as separate characters from their originals, so you could, say, double up on bringing Kanon to a mission.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

...did you accidentally put on FF8 while I wasn't looking??

  • Locked thread