Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DRUNK HISTORY SEASON 4 PREMIERES TONIGHT, TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 27th AT 10:30 PM EST

http://www.cc.com/shows/drunk-history posted:

Based on the popular web series, Drunk History is the liquored-up narration of our nation's history. Host Derek Waters, along with an ever-changing cast of actors and comedians, travels across the country to present the rich tales that every city in this land has to offer. Booze helps bring out the truth. It's just that sometimes the truth is a little incoherent.

SUMMARY

In case you're reading this thread and you're not familiar with Drunk History, here's what you need to know. Our host, Derek Waters, goes to the house of some sort of comedian or writer and plies them with liquor (or beer or wine, whatever's going to go down easiest). Throughout the course of the night, he asks them to recount a story, in their own words, from American History that they've researched previously. They film it, and drinking continues until the storyteller can no longer stand.

They then edit the various retellings together into one cohesive story, typically using the drunkest take each time they can get away with it. (I feel it's important to mention that they do make a concerted effort to make sure the final product is as historically accurate as possible, making the show somewhat educational!) They then have actors portray the actions and dialogue being recounted by the storyteller, using both a pool of talented house actors combined with a very impressive list of guest actors. Seriously, check out the IMDB page for a full list of actors who have appeared on Drunk History.

Links:

Drunk History official Comedy Central Page - Watch every episode from Season 3, plus some cool behind the scenes features
Season 1 archived thread
Season 2 archived thread
Season 3 archived thread
Drunk History Facebook page - has some more clips of the upcoming season
AV Club article Parts One and Two - some really interesting insight into the process of filming Drunk History, including detailed notes from Derek Waters and Jeremy Konner on each episode in Season 1

And oh yeah, by the way, LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Young Buster Keaton falling down the stairs was unexpectedly funny, and the scene with the DW guy going on about the KKK had me in stitches. Billie Joe Armstrong was really good...at first I almost thought it was Aaron Paul under all that makeup!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

"Here's to you, Carry A. Nation. The original Smash Mouth."

To absolutely nobody's surprise, Vanessa Bayer is a loving natural at Drunk History acting. She had me in stitches multiple times

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Perfect casting on that second segment- Kat Dennings and Ronda Rousey make a good duo. Hillary Anne Matthews is a great narrator too.

"Big Ben, is like, a clock..."

Yeah, Kat Dennings coupled with Hillary Anne Matthews delivery was great.

This season has been a bit of a downtick in my opinion. It's still one of my favorite shows hands down and it's still appointment viewing, but I think either one of two things is happening, maybe both. One, I think they've become a bit too self aware. In the beginning, the narrators seemed more like themselves, whereas now it sometimes feels like Derek Waters is coaching them to say certain things in a certain way. Maybe I've just become more aware of it, but that's how it feels. The other thing that seems to be happening is that the framing of the stories is weaker. For instance, the episode with the guy that invented LSD and escaped prison. There honestly wasn't much of a story there! He got arrested, he escaped prison, he got picked back up again shortly thereafter. And in the Sadie the Goat, not much really happened there either. It's like there's no point or moral or anything, which in the past they've usually been great with.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That story about Julia Childs was interesting as hell

e: also I had heard about the molasses flood before but after hearing the details, drat does it belong in the This Is A Thing That Actually Happened thread

timp fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 23, 2016

• Locked thread