Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I feel like Hillary did not press her advantage. She could have made a lot of hay out of Trump's idiotic rants but let him get away with a lot. On the plus side Trump's pretty much shot all his ammo. Next debate he's gonna sound like broken record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

akulanization posted:

I mean he was childish, but not as childish as we've come to expect. He didn't look like a good president but he didn't melt down or look any different than he ever does though.Trump didn't do anything that would make an undecided voter like him, but he didn't do anything so far beyond the pale that he'd alienate his own base. Hillary narrowly wins in that she looked...okay I guess, she might pick up a point in the polls but she definitely didn't make a strong case for herself or break Trump or anything.

I can agree with this but also think Trump did more damage to his campaign than Hillary did to bolster hers. Do you really think a Reagan Republican or someone concerned with Geo-Politics would look at the debate and decide Trump was the best candidate? I expect that most people who would have voted for a McCain or Romney will not bother voting this go around based on Trump's performance last night. He won't lose the people who are already committed, but this isn't the GOP debates or RNC stump speeches, he's talking to more than his own base.

But then again this is Bizzaro world so who knows.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I read an article wherein they talked to the moderator before the debate and he was stressed about what to do if/when a candidate tells a bold faced lie. He's basically said "look I can try to call them on it but I can't really pursue it because then it becomes he said she said and the moderator is involved and that's not really what it is supposed to be. At the same time if I let the other candidate call them on it then it also becomes he said she said and suddenly the objective truth is framed as just something the opposing candidate is asserting."

That kind of definitely came through. I mean look the last person that tried to reign Trump in during a debate was blasted up and down for being a 'bitch' or whatever to him. Guy did what he could. No one can do anything if Trump decides to just interject and whatever short of cutting his mic. He definitely said 'well that's just not true' a few times and then let Trump keep rambling.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I really don't want to get into a debate about guns but people get put on that list for little-to-no reason all the time or even accidentally and you basically have no recourse if that happens to you. One of my best friends was on it for years because he has a Lebanese last name.

yeah it's sad that "shoot your way off the list" is/may be one less recourse option

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I really don't want to get into a debate about guns but people get put on that list for little-to-no reason all the time or even accidentally and you basically have no recourse if that happens to you. One of my best friends was on it for years because he has a Lebanese last name.

I don't have an issue with the concept of 'if you're too dangerous to fly you're to dangerous to own a gun' but yeah if we're going to do that then the list and the way it is drawn up needs some reform.

\/\/\/ yeah I actually thought he did a really good job calling Trump out but not engaging too much and just moderating in general.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sperghetti posted:

I liked the lovely republican moderator who let trump ramble for 5 minutes at a time but was very authoritative and capable when shutting down Clinton at her 2 minute marks

Like WTF this poo poo is delusional. Lester Holt did a really good job of just letting the candidates talk and only cutting in when he really needed to and fairness really called for it.

Hillary wasn't put at any sort of disadvantage when it came to to saying all that she needed to say in this debate. She was obviously perfectly fine with letting Trump talk his rear end off and if she ever gave any sort of indication that she was unhappy then I'm sure Holt would have immediately stepped in to help her.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Eonwe posted:

trump didnt do good at all, is my feeling on it.

It doesn't seem to matter, though. He continues to ascend no matter what he does. I think his base simply doesn't care - it's anyone but Hillary as far as they're concerned.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rabble posted:

I can agree with this but also think Trump did more damage to his campaign than Hillary did to bolster hers. Do you really think a Reagan Republican or someone concerned with Geo-Politics would look at the debate and decide Trump was the best candidate? I expect that most people who would have voted for a McCain or Romney will not bother voting this go around based on Trump's performance last night. He won't lose the people who are already committed, but this isn't the GOP debates or RNC stump speeches, he's talking to more than his own base.

But then again this is Bizzaro world so who knows.

I don't think that those groups were really Trump's base to begin with. If they had decided to support him before last night I think they'll stick to it. If you only look at the first twenty minutes or so of the debate then Trump did speak those groups language with constant refrains of "I'm an outsider" and "I want to cut taxes and deregulate" he went off the rails before the hour mark, but if they only half paid attention to the first bit and then went to do something else I can see how a Reagan Republican could give Trump a pass.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Sulman posted:

It doesn't seem to matter, though. He continues to ascend no matter what he does. I think his base simply doesn't care - it's anyone but Hillary as far as they're concerned.

two despicable people trying to appeal to a disgusted nation

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"You don't pay any income taxes"
"That makes me smawt :smuggo:"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My opinion of Trump was pretty low. My opinion of Hillary was slightly above that of Trump. My opinion of Hillary is the same. My opinion of Trump now is that he should never, ever attempt to speak publicly without a pre-written speech ever again. The cadence of his answers, the mindless incoherent rambling. I literally had trouble listening to him and understanding what he was talking about. Rosie O'donnel.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 27, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I feel like the spray tan industry got a huge boost, the exclusive Trump colour will be popular but not quite Yuuge in Jersey.

For the other one, I feel like google got the AI right, but the robot isn't lifelike enough. The answers still felt very scripted however the AI was too polite and didn't interrupt enough.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

"You don't pay any income taxes"
"That makes me smawt :smuggo:"

i like it when my politician brag about being parasites draining my blood to fuel their megalomania.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trump at first: "Twenty trillion dollar national debt we can't afford it any more :mad:"
Trump a few minutes later: "Haha lol yeah I don't pay taxes dumbasses :smug:"

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
What he should have done, and by gum he was ALMOST there, was say "look when I was in charge of Trump Enterprises, my responsibility and obligation was to minimize liabilities and maximize profits. It is true that I paid little in taxes, but it is also true that this isn't my fault or ethical failing so much as it is a failing of the tax code you've let exist during your time as a politician. I fulfilled my obligation to the best of my ability, and that partially included minimizing taxes paid. If elected president, my obligation and responsibility will be to this country and to the public and et cetera et cetera."

Instead he just kinda said "my responsibility was to the company haha" and "WRONG" and "that's called being smart :smugdon:"

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 27, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

What he should have done, and by gum he was ALMOST there, was say "look when I was in charge of Trump Enterprises, my responsibility and obligation was to minimize liabilities and maximize profits. It is true that I paid little in taxes, but it is also true that this isn't my fault or ethical failing so much as it is a failing of the tax code you've let exist during your time as a politician. If elected president, my obligation and responsibility will be to this country and to the public and et cetera et cetera."

If only he could speak in full sentences and complete a thought from start to finish without mentioning something he heard from someone somewhere on some show.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Reason posted:

If only he could speak in full sentences and complete a thought from start to finish without mentioning something he heard from someone somewhere on some show.

he owns property in that show.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I listened to some of it on the radio and wasn't hearing the queen hillary superslam that everyones raving about.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

So Hillary is going to be president then?

I am legit looking forward to the AF1 escalator-car she has built because she can't climb steps, and when she is President she can't just tell the press "No filming me getting on the plane!" the way she does now.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Roylicious posted:

What he should have done, and by gum he was ALMOST there, was say "look when I was in charge of Trump Enterprises, my responsibility and obligation was to minimize liabilities and maximize profits. It is true that I paid little in taxes, but it is also true that this isn't my fault or ethical failing so much as it is a failing of the tax code you've let exist during your time as a politician. I fulfilled my obligation to the best of my ability, and that partially included minimizing taxes paid. If elected president, my obligation and responsibility will be to this country and to the public and et cetera et cetera."

Instead he just kinda said "my responsibility was to the company haha" and "WRONG" and "that's called being smart :smugdon:"

yeah a smarter man playing populist might've pointed out in a sentence that Hillary was just describing how her tax plan is optional for the rich but Trump takes pains to never be mistaken for that smarter man

canpakes posted:

I listened to some of it on the radio and wasn't hearing the queen hillary superslam that everyones raving about.

she's an awful speaker who relies on her devotees' profound mental illness to even resemble an inspirational figure, but luckily for her all she really had to do here to destroy Trump was stand there and gurn at the audience while he melted down over how rich and successful he is and how good his son is at cybering

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 27, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Am I wrong in feeling the the debates don't matter anymore, at least between hilldog and trump? His supporters are presumably braindead enough to support whatever he says, so he might as well just take a big dookie on the floor for a round of applause and higher poll numbers.

The scariest part was trump saying that he'd fire on Iranians or something if they were taunting him and "no that wouldn't cause a war".

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Avocados posted:

Am I wrong in feeling the the debates don't matter anymore, at least between hilldog and trump? His supporters are presumably braindead enough to support whatever he says, so he might as well just take a big dookie on the floor for a round of applause and higher poll numbers.

The scariest part was trump saying that he'd fire on Iranians or something if they were taunting him and "no that wouldn't cause a war".

The scariest part was when Trump was allowed onto the stage instead of being laughed off by an incredulous populace.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Avocados posted:

Yeah, he didn't say "I wouldn't do that" he just goes "nah that wouldn't start a war haha."

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I throughly hillary did real good

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

As a post brexit brit.....lol your country is hosed

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lord_Ferritos posted:

As a post brexit brit.....lol your country is hosed

If Britain survived Margaret Thatcher, we can survive Trump.

J/K we're all going to die.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I liked her power suit

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

I liked her power suit

I thought it made her look like a tomato at first but I warmed up to it after a few minutes.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I wasn't her biggest fan before but she seemed very powerful and owned trump a whole lot and it was cool

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Troposphere posted:

I throughly hillary did real good

Shes kinda awful but I think shes still better than Bernie. I think composure and calm goes a long way, and Bernie was just sorta tremoring and turning red all the time. It works really well for his passion driven speeches, but I think it undermines him a lot when he debates. Hilldawg's substance sucks, but at least she can take fire and BS without breaking form. Goes without saying how well she did last night when Trump was all over the place losing it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

I wasn't her biggest fan before but she seemed very powerful and owned trump a whole lot and it was cool

I cheered when she said the "when you've done a hundred things and spent eleven hours testifying before congress you can come talk to me about stamina"

I feel that Trump opened himself up to some brutal owns that she didn't pounce on. Like when he said "your president" I would have liked her to correct him and say "our president" and when he bragged about paying zero dollars in taxes she should have put her heel in his throat and crushed his windpipe.

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.

Avocados posted:

but at least she can take fire and BS without breaking form

well yeah, she's been doing that for the past 25 years

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

4chan and redditors swung the online polls to Trump lolol

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/trump-clinton-debate-online-polls-4chan-the-donald/

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

was there any doubt of this, like, for even a second

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
how are they both so bad at this like whenever they got confronted with any of the million problems with their candidacy they just kinda shuffled around and had no response yet they both had elaborately conceived talking points about poo poo no one but them has ever cared about

Applewhite posted:

The scariest part was when Trump was allowed onto the stage instead of being laughed off by an incredulous populace.

this but hillary toooooooooo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sonofsilversign posted:

how are they both so bad at this like whenever they got confronted with any of the million problems with their candidacy they just kinda shuffled around and had no response yet they both had elaborately conceived talking points about poo poo no one but them has ever cared about

this but hillary toooooooooo

I mean... it's not a great year for presidential candidates.

But I'm still voting for Hillary in the hopes that we'll have four, maybe eight years of status quo and we can try again next year. Like, between the two of them, I trust Hillary to competently execute the duties of the office of the president. If Trump gets elected things will go to poo poo overnight because he has no idea what he's doing and I'd say there's a 50/50 shot of all life on Earth being wiped out in nuclear fire.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
https://twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/780590171708207104

I have no idea what was this supposed to mean but I can't stop laughing at it.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Applewhite posted:

But I'm still voting for Hillary in the hopes that we'll have four, maybe eight years of status quo and we can try again next year. Like, between the two of them, I trust Hillary to competently execute the duties of the office of the president. If Trump gets elected things will go to poo poo overnight because he has no idea what he's doing and I'd say there's a 50/50 shot of all life on Earth being wiped out in nuclear fire.

the presidency isn't that powerful

and lol if you don't have a supercharged murder machine in your garage for max carnage in the cursed earth of tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Applewhite posted:

trump would be impeached within a year by the same people who are gonna pass tpp in lame duck to save hillarys rear end even if he did try to start a nuclear war his finger would slip off the button like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx8QOVsSMvI

• Locked thread