Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

these are my favorite facebook posts, the vague ones that are obviously targeting one person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

#FreakyFacts - helicopters can hover :spooky:

Chinooks don't even experience torque steer, mad easy to fly

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Just came across this friend suggestion hmm

I have nothing against white people with dreads necessarily, it's just.. your blond is showing through on the top of your scalp.. etc. yeah

Battlefield Perth

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Target Practice posted:

For what it's worth, not forcing your children to let family members touch them is a valid policy, and it weirds people out. The idea behind it is that when you allow relatives (who are adults and therefore authority figures) circumvent consent on a child, this transfers (in the child's mind) to ALL authority figures, which means all adults. So a child can feel obligated to let a teacher, neighbor, or family friend touch them whether or not they want them to.

This becomes a problem when, in the case of abuse, their brain is screaming at them "THIS FEELS WRONG!", but this completely valid warning instinct is suppressed by the parental conditioning that has taken place.

It becomes even more justified as a policy when viewed with the knowledge that the vast majority of child abuse is committed by relatives. We all know the stereotype of the pervy uncle Frank with his secret games of Closet Touch, but most of us don't think twice about the grandparents, cousins, and other family members capable of abuse.

If there's interest I can probably dig up some research, but this thread probably isn't the best place so feel free to PM me.

Edit: however, I agree that without the background information and explanation, it can off-putting to someone that doesn't understand the motivations behind it, and FB is a terrible place to have that conversation.

show me on the doll where aatrek touched you

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Nah, it doesn't need to be awkward. You can still say "how about a hug" or mom can say "go give your uncle FedEx a hug" but if the kid is visibly reluctant or says "no, I don't wanna" everybody just keeps smiling and moves on to the next thing instead of trying to cajole him into it. Sometimes that's going to mean nice Auntie Mabel gets her feelings hurt.

What if your uncle is ted Cruz and he's running for president

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

These are all good, I would read facebook if it was like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah but they're still glorified taxi drivers

• Locked thread