Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The less time I am on Facebook, the better I feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I deactivated my fb account three days ago. Feels good man.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh yeah the...wife

In all seriousness, it's mainly about how FB denies it's a media company and takes no responsibility for the effect of fake news. Also I have a liberal filter bubble on there, and I really don't want to read a bunch of posts about Trump for the next four years. I already see enough about him in the news.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blue Train posted:

facebook is poo poo but theyre actually right in this case. can't take responsibility for the stupidity of your users

I mean, what is it 60% of people say FB is their primary news source? Whether they like it or not, they are for all intents and purposes a news organization, and need to be held to the same standards. At the very least, there needs to be much less of the filter bubble effect. If you're allowed to see something clearly made up, like the pope endorsing Trump, you should have a chance to see something disproving that.

Here's something I saw yesterday about FB influencing elections in other countries, including Duterte using it to spread lies in his presidential campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/technology/fake-news-on-facebook-in-foreign-elections-thats-not-new.html

quote:

Facebook’s power is often stronger overseas than it is in the United States. In many developing countries with populations new to both democracy and social media, experts said, fake stories can be more widely believed. And in some of these countries, Facebook even offers free smartphone data connections to basic public online services, some news sites and Facebook itself — but limits access to broader sources that could help debunk fake news.

One such place is the Philippines, where a spokesman for its populist president, Rodrigo Duterte, shared on Facebook an image of a corpse of a young girl believed to have been raped and killed by a drug dealer. Fact checkers later revealed that the photo had come from Brazil. Despite the debunking, proponents of Mr. Duterte’s bloody crackdown on reported drug dealers and addicts still cite the image in his defense, according to political analysts.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 19, 2016

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JustinMorgan posted:

Why deactivate it? Why not just... not use it?

So people won't tag me in comments and posts and then get annoyed when I don't respond

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well they could not flat out lie like Mark and say the proliferation of fake news is "rare" on the site

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a legit reason to use facebook daily unless you are literally my homebound neighbor who had a stroke and uses it because it's the only way he can talk with people

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol what is facebook for? really? loving crispy memes you idiot.

Hmm I wouldn't call these memes that crisp just my 2 cents

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Streak posted:

It's a very easy way to casually keep in touch with friends? I have to assume you don't have any if you're even asking this question.

FB came out right after I finished college so I learned how to talk with people in such crazy ways as in person and over the phone

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I Was The Fury posted:

Language came out right after I finished college so I learned how to communicate with people in such crazy ways as grunts and physical violence

It's true, the development of FB was just as critical as spoken language

Anyway it's obviously great to use for certain things like you've mentioned (i.e. people in other parts of the world), but I don't think that's what most people are primarily using it for. And I'm not really comfortable with using something for "free" when the cost is selling information about myself to advertisers.

If you want to communicate with someone in another part of the world you can always just email them :confused:

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Andrast posted:

I hope you don't use google

There's only so much you can do. Unless I want to basically live in a cave my whole life I'll have to use the internet and thus information about me will be there to some extent.

• Locked thread