Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
How can Metal Gear be dumb WHEN COMICS ARE ALSO DUMB???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal Gear isn't dumb, it's good. Better than comics, even

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I was arguing that comics are dumber and make less sense than Kojima games.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Metal Gear isn't dumb, it's good. Better than comics, even

No, sorry.

Junkfist posted:

I was arguing that comics are dumber and make less sense than Kojima games.

What sky high standards to hold Kojima too.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Metal Gear: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3 are the only good games of the franchise. Debate is over, you are welcome.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

khwarezm posted:

What sky high standards to hold Kojima too.

Uh ok what standards should we be holding Mr. Kojima to? David Cage games and Telltale's Minecraft Story Mode?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junkfist posted:

Uh ok what standards should we be holding Mr. Kojima to? David Cage games and Telltale's Minecraft Story Mode?

How about actual quality movies since he spends so much time trying to imitate them? Seems more relevant than comics.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

khwarezm posted:

How about actual quality movies since he spends so much time trying to imitate them? Seems more relevant than comics.

They're not. He makes goofy videogames. What quality movie is he imitating with intricate cardboard box combos or when Johnny Sasaki makes a wet poopy?

All I ever said was Jack and Rich get irritated at MGS storylines for not making sense and being all over the place while being fans of comic book storylines for reasons I don't understand. What do people read comic books for anyway? The gameplay?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This morning I felt a rumble down under and dropped a huge Solid Snake just thought everybody itt: should know.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junkfist posted:

They're not. He makes goofy videogames. What quality movie is he imitating with intricate cardboard box combos or when Johnny Sasaki makes a wet poopy?

All I ever said was Jack and Rich get irritated at MGS storylines for not making sense and being all over the place while being fans of comic book storylines for reasons I don't understand. What do people read comic books for anyway? The gameplay?

Dude, come on. If you know anything about Kojima you'll know he absolutely loves movies and has been very open about that. The MGS series have made that influence obvious from the very beginning, MGS1 was probably the most 'cinematic' game ever released at the time and the main character was basically stolen, name and everything, from a John Carpenter movie. Since then his proclivity for trying to make a movie while making a game got worse and worse until we eventually got MGS4 and its hours of cutscenes.

Anyway, if you mention anything about comic books to Rich he will always talk about that spiderman story where Spidey makes a deal with the devil to get rid of his marriage (?!, I don't read comics) and that after that he realized that Comics are really stupid. I'm not quite seeing the hypocrisy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Comics are video games of paper.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Snake is inspired by Snake Plissken but what does it matter to your enjoyment?

MGS's farcical characters and situations counterbalances the heavy real world themes. I would compare them to Dr. Strangelove just as much to 80s action films. The silliness allows players to indulge in their power fantasies without being distracted by the serious issues. Its is the best of both worlds.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

khwarezm posted:

Dude, come on. If you know anything about Kojima you'll know he absolutely loves movies and has been very open about that. The MGS series have made that influence obvious from the very beginning, MGS1 was probably the most 'cinematic' game ever released at the time and the main character was basically stolen, name and everything, from a John Carpenter movie. Since then his proclivity for trying to make a movie while making a game got worse and worse until we eventually got MGS4 and its hours of cutscenes.

Anyway, if you mention anything about comic books to Rich he will always talk about that spiderman story where Spidey makes a deal with the devil to get rid of his marriage (?!, I don't read comics) and that after that he realized that Comics are really stupid. I'm not quite seeing the hypocrisy.

Yes, my Dude, he likes movies and references them a lot in his goofy videogames about nanomachine AIs and the secret mech battles between clone children of the Cold War and their self-hypnotized henchmen.

He'll even have extended goofy codec conversations about the Godzilla movies!

But he has fun silly gameplay in his games, unlike Quantic Dream and Telltale, and his obtuse confusing storyline doesn't manage to be inconsequential gibberish like comic books.

Which makes the point: if you think comics are stupid, what are you reading them for??? The gameplay of turning the page and seeing the colors?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Neither comics, nor metallic gears are movies, and they are also equally awful, so shut the gently caress up

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junkfist posted:

Yes, my Dude, he likes movies and references them a lot in his goofy videogames about nanomachine AIs and the secret mech battles between clone children of the Cold War and their self-hypnotized henchmen.

He'll even have extended goofy codec conversations about the Godzilla movies!

But he has fun silly gameplay in his games, unlike Quantic Dream and Telltale, and his obtuse confusing storyline doesn't manage to be inconsequential gibberish like comic books.

Which makes the point: if you think comics are stupid, what are you reading them for??? The gameplay of turning the page and seeing the colors?

He also has hours and hours of cutscenes that probably ate into resources that could have been dedicated to improving or in the most recent game's case actually finishing the drat thing but weren't(ironically leaving tons of cut-scenes on the cutting room floor). Instead we got poorly edited, over explained and tonally disastrous schlock to watch instead of play.

Anyway, I just don't see what relevance that has to comics or RLM since Rich (their goto comic nerd) seems to now think comics are trash and Mike and Jay don't care. Jack is Jack.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 2, 2016

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
If only we had listened to Konami and understood that Pachinko is the artform of the future.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think I'd rather talk about Jay's cum viscosity rather than the artistic qualities of a videogame.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.

a bone to pick posted:

I think I'd rather talk about Jay's cum viscosity rather than the artistic qualities of a videogame.

why not both

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

the physics engine for "jay's cummies" is looking great

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
welp, here it is. the plinkett review that took 12 years to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVRaoR_8xQ

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

gently caress YES

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh my Gooooooood.

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.
Gaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

gently caress off Luke Cage, I got things to do.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Indulging in certain substances for this right now.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

gently caress YESSSSSS

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Alien Isolation is dumb garbage and DOOM is the best game ever, so I agree with 100% of the prerecs I've seen.

Cum.
They are still wrong for their opinions on the Uncharted series though :colbert:

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
30 minutes in and he's done nothing but talk about Lucas and some dumb fan theory about the first 6 movies.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

dreezy posted:

welp, here it is. the plinkett review that took 12 years to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVRaoR_8xQ

*sprinting into thread* It's bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The old reviews are better and Jack is cool and funny!!!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Uncharted sucks, Alien Isolation owns

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Rainbow Chip Quake posted:

30 minutes in and he's done nothing but talk about Lucas and some dumb fan theory about the first 6 movies.

It doesn't really get to Force Awakens until the last half-hour. There's really no major problems in TFA like there were in the prequels, so there's just not much there to dig in to. Most of the 'review' is about the resurgence of people defending the prequels.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
"I never made it without biting"

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Pyroclastic posted:

It doesn't really get to Force Awakens until the last half-hour. There's really no major problems in TFA like there were in the prequels, so there's just not much there to dig in to. Most of the 'review' is about the resurgence of people defending the prequels.

Yeah it took me a while to get that it wasn't TFA-focused.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pyroclastic posted:

this. I expected as much. Force awakens is solid if not good movie and a great star wars movie and i have been waiting for them to comment about all the dumb gently caress hipsters jerking off about the prequels. I mean i grew up with the prequels and yeah i have good memories with my family about them and my dad loves doing the watto/nemodian voices("they went up the ventilation shaft" being his favorite). so yeah i have "good memories" but i can see and easily admit the prequels are lovely movies in general and bad-mediocare star wars movies. they arnt "deep" or "revolutionary", id would say they are pretentious, but they are too crappy and simple minded for that. its just hipsters and sad fucks trying to justify poo poo.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I think Mike discounts George Lucas too much. He oversells how stupid and lazy he is.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
someone mentioned hot jay cum?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

For a bunch of guys that have spent so long making sure I know how much they don't care about millennial internet commentators , they sure put out a solid hour debunking millennial internet commentators.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Good review, imo. He's missed the biggest problem with Force Awakens, though. You know what I'm talking about.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
"It's the Millennium Falcon!!!"

:Lip rubbing intensifies:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Who knows what they'll do but I'm sure they'll gently caress it up real bad."

• Locked thread