Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rainbow Chip Quake posted:

30 minutes in and he's done nothing but talk about Lucas and some dumb fan theory about the first 6 movies.

Was that ring theory poo poo some huge article online? He spends way too much time on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Wow they humanized george lucas in the middle of all that by having him point out how disney is making GBS threads out product on a timetable and not going to take a risk, ever, unlike how he took risks on his awful, but ultimately arguably novel, prequels. And then showed him talking about his bad all black movie. So while my opinion of george lucas is still in the toilet, it's one of those real interesting shits that you take a picture of or call people in to see.

e: didn't like my phrasing there.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 3, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was that ring theory poo poo some huge article online? He spends way too much time on that.

Yeah, I could feel my eyes glazing during the middle of all that. It was pretty dry stuff.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In a Hollywood where male and female lead characters sharing a scene always form into a romantic relationship, I don't get calling Ray and Finn having a platonic relationship a failure of originality or risk-taking. It was pretty much my favorite aspect of the movie - character-wise.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It was a big article for the 'Star Wars community'.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i give the plinkett a solid B. like an 84. pretty fun, but considerably lower than the first 3

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Even if it wasn't what the title implied, I enjoyed the Plinkett Review of the CinD subforum.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

star wars bling theory? for real they made this joke?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I remember when I watched Force Awakens I thought it was weird that there was absolutely no sexual tension. Like even if they made it one sided or whatever at least have someone get a boner for something. Overall I enjoyed Mr. Plinkett's ANALsys of the Star War.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Captain Lavender posted:

For a bunch of guys that have spent so long making sure I know how much they don't care about millennial internet commentators , they sure put out a solid hour debunking millennial internet commentators.
they're protecting their legacy of being correct about star wars against a shifting zeitgeist deluding itself itself into being wrong about star wars

Captain Lavender posted:

In a Hollywood where male and female lead characters sharing a scene always form into a romantic relationship, I don't get calling Ray and Finn having a platonic relationship a failure of originality or risk-taking. It was pretty much my favorite aspect of the movie - character-wise.

same. they were buddies it was cute!

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

wow, banging on about stupid fan theories like they were something worthy of discussion in the first place, writing his own star wars fanfiction, shipping characters

how far plinkett has fallen

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

taco_fox posted:

wow, banging on about stupid fan theories like they were something worthy of discussion in the first place, writing his own star wars fanfiction, shipping characters

how far plinkett has fallen

He's jumped the shark!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even if it wasn't what the title implied, I enjoyed the Plinkett Review of the CinD subforum.

lol

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I'm from JJ's fan service.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I didn't really get the whole banging on no one kissing/loving thing either until he made the point that Disney has turned the universe into a sterile one. I thought it was cool there was a platonic relationship instead of a forced romantic one. But then I realized that wasn't the choice they made. The choice they made was "Can't risk people getting offended and not buying the toys and trinkets, so no more sexual tension unless five test groups approve of it".

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

:same:

Also someone get that last couple minutes of footage to Vince McMahon stat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Glad it finally arrived. Disappointed that it was so long and meandering and really not about TFA. I didn't expect a huge diss on TFA, though. Also, no pizza rolls.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
This really felt more like an overall message of "This is RLM's take on what movies are becoming now." No wonder content releases have been slow lately.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

..Star Wars is bad?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Randarkman posted:

..Star Wars is bad?

I think on review star wars is good and the fans are in fact bad.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure Finn and that bloody hand storm trooper were loving.

Also what's happened to that Rebel movie that's supposed to come out and which as far as I can gather no one really seems to give a poo poo about? Though everyone will probably watch it because Star Wars.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 3, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I thought it was a fun 90 minutes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Ring Theory and all the freshmen film school CD/YouTube revisionism of the prequels needed calling out. And a Star Wars review is a nice vehicle for that call out.

I was bit concerned when he into that tangent on "Diversity in the Star Wars Universe", but he ended up justifying it. They didn't take the extra "risk" to make its diversity bold.

I still think he showed too much sympathy for Lucas with his rant on how TFA played it safe. To me, it was just Lucas using hindsight to poorly rehabilitate his prequels. TFA was a adequately made product that's best consumed and forgotten about until the next installment.

Red Letter Media is still the only place that I could stand someone actually expressing their opinions on Star Wars. Good job, guys.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I think it should've been split up, cause the first two bits aren't about TFA itself, but about adjacent topics. I liked both of those bits, but they kinda detracted from the TFA stuff to the point where the nitpicks weren't as obviously funny as they could've been cause there were already digressions.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i thought it would be a rehash of the star strek: star trek review since mike initially said he loved it, and he doesn't say he loves anything. glad they went into another direction but he probably could have spent less time on the ring theory. i wonder if that was supposed to be some sort of mini plinkett review in itself.

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm... the hack fraud?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i thought it would be a rehash of the star strek: star trek review since mike initially said he loved it, and he doesn't say he loves anything. glad they went into another direction but he probably could have spent less time on the ring theory. i wonder if that was supposed to be some sort of mini plinkett review in itself.

Is ring theory the thing they do in CineD? SMG always seemed a bit crazier than that to me.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Waltzing Along posted:

Glad it finally arrived. Disappointed that it was so long and meandering and really not about TFA. I didn't expect a huge diss on TFA, though. Also, no pizza rolls.

Look at this sucker who doesn't sit through the credits.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Randarkman posted:

Is ring theory the thing they do in CineD? SMG always seemed a bit crazier than that to me.

No but it uses some of the same lovely logic.
Only have watched first 40 minutes but the part with how the prequel defense isn't about the characters or emotional movements or traditionally "enjoying a movie".

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Randarkman posted:

They tend to put a layer of psychoanalytic nonsense on top.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Wow they humanized george lucas in the middle of all that by having him point out how disney is making GBS threads out product on a timetable and not going to take a risk, ever, unlike how he took risks on his awful, but ultimately arguably novel, prequels. And then showed him talking about his bad all black movie. So while my opinion of george lucas is still in the toilet, it's one of those real interesting shits that you take a picture of or call people in to see.

e: didn't like my phrasing there.

The prequels are more interesting than TFA by a long shot. That doesn't not make them terrible garbage though. TFA is a well-crafted piece of fan service.

I don't really understand the people who are properly nostalgic for the prequels though, and say that people who grew up with the original trilogy are nostalgic about that the same way younger people are nostalgic about the prequels. How young are they talking here? I mean I was 10 when the Phantom Menace came out and loved it because I was 10. Then I kinda came around when I hated Attack of the Clones when I saw it, same with Revenge of the Sith really. Anyway I was in my early teens when the prequels were coming out and can be said to have literally grown up with them, and in no way do I view them as superior to the original trilogy due to nostalgia or anything else really, and almost everyone I know my own age who likes Star Wars feels the same way (I've met one dude who I think was a ring theory guy at a party once).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 3, 2016

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I didn't like the review until it pointed out how many characters are gay.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Killing Department posted:

Everyone's gay. except for Lando.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

imo reviews of bad movies ive already seen are better than forcing me to listen to a guy read bad posts from star wars fans so plinkett can review them

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Krinkle posted:

Look at this sucker who doesn't sit through the credits.

gently caress. I hit stop and ran to the bathroom. I sent my info, hope I get those pizza rolls soon.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm also glad that he finally talked about the whole big messed up Bush admin ANALogy in the prequels. I found it weird that he spent so little time on that poo poo in the original reviews despite it being one of the worst parts of the movies.

Killing Department posted:

Yeah that was my favorite part.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Echo Chamber posted:

The Ring Theory and all the freshmen film school CD/YouTube revisionism of the prequels needed calling out. And a Star Wars review is a nice vehicle for that call out.

I was bit concerned when he into that tangent on "Diversity in the Star Wars Universe", but he ended up justifying it. They didn't take the extra "risk" to make its diversity bold.

I still think he showed too much sympathy for Lucas with his rant on how TFA played it safe. To me, it was just Lucas using hindsight to poorly rehabilitate his prequels. TFA was a adequately made product that's best consumed and forgotten about until the next installment.

Red Letter Media is still the only place that I could stand someone actually expressing their opinions on Star Wars. Good job, guys.

Yeah, I agree, the review was dead on about the various hipster revisionism trying to save the prequels as well as the diversity thing(its a great thing but for the most part if feels like its basically become a buzzword for Hollywood/others to get lefties to watch it but it never takes any real risks with it)

on the lucas part, yes and no. i think they were a little to soft on him, but he isn't fully wrong per say, Lucas took risks which is good thing, the problem is they all crashed an burned and he is bitter over it. I mean even disney knows they suck. sure they tried to rebrand them by paying a bunch of hipsters to make poo poo up but at the end of the day as mike said, you can see that the free market decided, you dont see prequel toys apart from a few figures. the prequels are going to slowly be forgotten.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think it's great that little girls want to dress up as an officer in a genocidal fascist organization who has no character outside of her costume and dies by getting thrown in the garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I think it's great that little girls want to dress up as an officer in a genocidal fascist organization who has no character outside of her costume and dies by getting thrown in the garbage

It worked for Boba Fett

• Locked thread