Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grondoth posted:

It worked for Boba Fett

yeah its basically the same thing. a character in a cool costume made to sell toys who does almost nothing in the movies and dies embarassingly.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After the long boring segment on ring theory I thought he would a Jar Jar Sith Lord bit but it never happened. Probably because it's an actual fascinating theory.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Randarkman posted:

I think it's great that little girls want to dress up as an officer in a genocidal fascist organization who has no character outside of her costume and dies by getting thrown in the garbage

she isnt dead apperently.

Grondoth posted:

It worked for Boba Fett

true. but he was just an amoral hunter of sentient life. not a officer in the neo nazi squad.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

I think it's great that little girls want to dress up as an officer in a genocidal fascist organization who has no character outside of her costume and dies by getting thrown in the garbage

They just tied her up off screen IIRC, she's going to be a bigger deal in the sequel. I predict that they'll take advantage of the fact that we never saw her face to have her "surprise" audiences as a secret covert agent or something like that.

I think the review's main thesis is that now Star Wars has been handed over to a vastly worse entity than Lucas, which is weird in a way because Lucas whored out the franchise too. That said, it is a bit worrying to see Star Wars taking the Marvel movies treatment and I think the overall point that Disney being in charge leads to these "Design-by-committee" moments that are pretty blatant.

It IS fan service, because fan service sells, and that's all this now, it's something to sell. It's a mathematical formula meant to derive a larger set of numbers from a smaller set and creativity, artistry, storytelling and cinema are all effectively secondary to that. Plinkett is spot-on with his take that TFA is a more cynical movie than the stupid, goofy, kooky prequels. Not in the fact of its story or characters, but in the very design of it. Its manufacture.

That's what the review seeks to tackle and I think that's a much better and broader point than "TFA is kind of mediocre and teh villains make absolutely no sense."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

After the long boring segment on ring theory I thought he would a Jar Jar Sith Lord bit but it never happened. Probably because it's an actual fascinating theory.

i always wondered what happened to palpatine's blue bureaucrat buddy, that guy always seemed to have his back.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They just tied her up off screen IIRC, she's going to be a bigger deal in the sequel. I predict that they'll take advantage of the fact that we never saw her face to have her "surprise" audiences as a secret covert agent or something like that.

well thats a shame. the fact that shes basically a toy who literally gets thrown in the garbage is almost clever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish how he had gotten more into how Disney is trying to get Star Wars into every aspect of your life, in a really unprecedented way. Every Marvel thing has a Star Wars reference. There was one in Luke Cage, one in Civil War, multiple references in every season of Agents of SHIELD.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I don't know why people see the Marvel method such as such an evil awful thing, I rather have poo poo planned out and released in a nice tri to quarterly pace of enjoyable movies. That and saying that Avatar was influenced by the success of the MCU is pretty false seeing how there were always going to be a lot of sequels for it because James Cameron is a mad man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh, the review was ok. I would've preferred if it was more about the movie itself but I can see why the star wars ~culture~ reboot is just as important as the movie reboot

In summary,

metal droid solid v the phantom menace

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think the review's main thesis is that now Star Wars has been handed over to a vastly worse entity than Lucas, which is weird in a way because Lucas whored out the franchise too. That said, it is a bit worrying to see Star Wars taking the Marvel movies treatment and I think the overall point that Disney being in charge leads to these "Design-by-committee" moments that are pretty blatant.

It IS fan service, because fan service sells, and that's all this now, it's something to sell. It's a mathematical formula meant to derive a larger set of numbers from a smaller set and creativity, artistry, storytelling and cinema are all effectively secondary to that. Plinkett is spot-on with his take that TFA is a more cynical movie than the stupid, goofy, kooky prequels. Not in the fact of its story or characters, but in the very design of it. Its manufacture.

That's what the review seeks to tackle and I think that's a much better and broader point than "TFA is kind of mediocre and teh villains make absolutely no sense."

I mean i understand. but Id rather have disney whoring it out rather then WB(DC) or sony(spiderman and ghostbusters,etc) or lucas sitting on the franchise and either making another series of dumbshit or nothing. the marvel movies while factory made are at least good quality for the most part. disney is the safest place for it to have a chance to take risks or at least some.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I laughed out loud many times during TFA review thus it was good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean i understand. but Id rather have disney whoring it out rather then WB(DC) or sony(spiderman and ghostbusters,etc) or lucas sitting on the franchise and either making another series of dumbshit or nothing. the marvel movies while factory made are at least good quality for the most part. disney is the safest place for it to have a chance to take risks or at least some.

Yeah but the point is that it took none besides adding minorities all over the place, a thing which most people won't care about one way or another. I guess you could forgive that by saying it's the first in a new franchise, so they needed to play it safe at first in order to get a foot in the door, though.

KakerMix posted:

I laughed out loud many times during TFA review thus it was good.

Yea the humor was still spot-on even if the subject matter was eeeeehhhhh

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Yeeeessss give me twenty more years of tolerable gruel in film form. Give me every comic book character and every Star Wars character in corporate created checklist safe films that evoke no emotion whatsoever. Yeeesssss

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Even though we never saw her face in the movie, the only two descriptors for this character that literally everyone knows are 1) Shiny armor and 2) Played by Gwendoline Christie, so it's not like they're going to sneak her 6'3" rear end in as a spy anywhere.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Trash compactor.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I couldn't find star wars XI on imdb so I don't know how many of the planned things are also jokes. I believe there are a lot of planned things made by committee.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The way I see it, oversaturating the Star Wars market will eventually make it super easy for me to move on past it.

I just wanna see 7-9. I'm good after that. Frankly, I'm not even interested in Rogue One.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I remember sitting in a theater when the lights were going down and I grabbed my friend, whispering "holy poo poo, I'm going to see a Spider-Man film".

And then Raimi's first Spider-Man film hit and it was amazing.

And now....now I only feel hollow when I see Captain America 3. I walked out of the theater not even remembering what the gently caress happened in the film is was so forgettable. I wonder if Star Wars fans will hit that point in five years or something, somewhere between young Vader film #3 and a young Jabba the Hutt film.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't want to admit how far I got into the list of YouTube movie reviewers before I realized he was making some of them up.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The review does bring up the "Rey becomes the new big bad apprentice" theory with Kylo turning to the light when Luke comes back. Which is secretly what I want to happen but two movies may not be enough time for setup unless the turns happen in Episode 8. It won't though.

The episode also gave me more sympathy for Lucas, who alright in my book.

Mon Mothma is definitely gay.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Played by Gwendoline Christie, so it's not like they're going to sneak her 6'3" rear end in as a spy anywhere.

They can sneak it into

my heart

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
So no hot jay cummies?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blunderstorm posted:

So no hot jay cummies?

They have something even better.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Blunderstorm posted:

So no hot jay cummies?

Jay was in the video and Plinkett discussed cum at one point.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Not Jay's cum but just cum in general. And that's fine with me since I love cum.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Lavender posted:

In a Hollywood where male and female lead characters sharing a scene always form into a romantic relationship, I don't get calling Ray and Finn having a platonic relationship a failure of originality or risk-taking. It was pretty much my favorite aspect of the movie - character-wise.

It's because Disney plays the diversity card but won't let a white girl kiss a black man or a black man kiss a latino man. It feels sterile.

It's why 'diverse' relationships in media tend to always be a white man with a minority woman. It's rare to see anything that isn't that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Milky Moor posted:

It's because Disney plays the diversity card but won't let a white girl kiss a black man or a black man kiss a latino man. It feels sterile.

It's why 'diverse' relationships in media tend to always be a white man with a minority woman. It's rare to see anything that isn't that.

Jessica Jones hosed Luke Cage, I mean that's just one example, but it's not like it's a new frontier. Even this review points out how it was controversial in the 60s. It's happened countless times since then, that it's not even a hot button issue in and of itself. Happened in Dexter - poo poo I dunno, just off the top of my head. I didn't get the impression that that was a barrier that still needed to be crossed to avoid ridicule for being a spineless production.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
why does he spend so long talking about the ring theory blog post - who cares!!! Worst rlm video

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

why does he spend so long talking about the ring theory blog post - who cares!!! Worst rlm video

Because Disney paid a lot of money to a blogger to write that article about how the prequels are like poetry.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Captain Lavender posted:

Jessica Jones hosed Luke Cage, I mean that's just one example, but it's not like it's a new frontier. Even this review points out how it was controversial in the 60s. It's happened countless times since then, that it's not even a hot button issue in and of itself. Happened in Dexter - poo poo I dunno, just off the top of my head. I didn't get the impression that that was a barrier that still needed to be crossed to avoid ridicule for being a spineless production.
Its spineless to holler diversity and not let a black man kiss a white woman.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Lavender posted:

A quick fling is one thing, a prolonged romantic relationship is another.

The problem is that it is heavily biased towards white man/ethnic woman. Things are changing now, as you point out. But it's weird for Disney to lean so heavily on 'diversity' and then still hold back. It's like, it's okay to be friends but you can't be romantic.

TV shows can get away with a lot more because there's less of an investment, less focus grouping and they'll be seen by less people which means less angry people going wild on the Internet about it. Battlestar had a hispanic man and a white woman, for example. Heroes had a black man and a white woman. But overwhelmingly, a 'diverse relationship' is almost always a white man and a female ethnic minority (Spock and Uhura in New Star Trek, for example). Star Trek had serious balls doing it when it did.

edit: And you can't point to them always intending to be platonic. The review has even just pointed out that Finn is super attracted to her until he just... isn't.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Captain Lavender posted:

The main theme of that series was a woman confronting her rapist and the material it was based on had Luke and Jessica in a relationship. It was also a Netflix series produced with a relatively small budget that Disney barely attached Marvel branding to.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I forgot the 'Trash Compacter' line from the movie and seeing it again makes Han seem like a crazy-psycho old-man rather than an adventurous smuggler/rebel fighter who kills people as part of his job

also I'd forgotten how basically every scene has someone making light of their situation in the scene for no real reason

overall, good review that I somehow managed to not pause and do something productive instead of seeing but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again unlike all the other Plinkett reviews (but I'll probably do that at some point though)

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

So is this "Mr. Plinkett" series gonna replace Gamestation 2.0?

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

I'm glad Mike rethought his stance on TFA somewhat and was able to be critical since he was so oddly enthusiastic about the movie before. He said he loved it on Half in the Bag as I recall. It really is a safe retread of every previous Star Wars trope. It's well made, perhaps well intentioned, but very unoriginal. It's so blatant even George Lucas could see it and call it out, and he has the awareness of a doorknob.

I'm kind of surprised Mike didn't point out how Rey is basically a Mary Sue character who is good at everything, even force tricks, without any training.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i liked that the review didnt really talk about the force awakens cause i still havent seen the force awakens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stabbatical posted:

also I'd forgotten how basically every scene has someone making light of their situation in the scene for no real reason

Ahh, the Joss Whedon Fastball Special

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Andro Dunos posted:

I'm kind of surprised Mike didn't point out how Rey is basically a Mary Sue character who is good at everything, even force tricks, without any training.

It's cause he hopes her character arc will be interesting and explore why she's doing all these things she shouldn't. I imagine he'll be mad when that doesn't happen.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finn wasn't conscious, so if Rei has kissed him without consent, wouldn't she be doing a rape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Andro Dunos posted:

oh boy here we go

• Locked thread