Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

CaptainFish posted:

It's also nice that in Star Wars, Han acted as a sort of skeptical foil to Obi Wan. I feel like most of the issue in 7 is that Han shows up and says everything is true almost as an excuse to skip the training and just have Rey doing stuff she might've heard about somewhere. And it just happens that all that stuff is fanservice force things that people will generally enjoy seeing. Never mind that in the original trilogy it was more impactful to gradually see how much the force could do in the hands of a couple of unassuming old guys and a young dork. Oh and Vader too.

I dunno how you fix this though, because audiences already know that the force does cool stuff, and maybe that's why they decided to skip the slow ramp up with a quicker ramp up in this film and then explain it later by revealing Rey's backstory. That just makes me wish we could've gotten more of that backstory in this film instead of a kinda unsatisfying and rote retread of the death star and tractor beam bits in A New Hope.
Its called being creative and writing a new story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rich is the best actor. Jack is a big bag of trash.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Has anyone on RLM ever said Jayscum before?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Stranger Things is scientifically designed to be a crit darling. Its like Friends for media obsessed nerds. These are the sitcoms of our generation.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The best scene was when they pulled the kid out the water. On the next episode when the sheriff figured out the twist, I knew it was going to suck. TV needs someone to die or turn heel or whatever. Otherwise its the last 30 minutes of a movie but for 8 hours.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Trunko posted:

everybody makes a huge deal out of stranger things being a nostalgia-filled epic love letter ro the '80s and it really just isnt.
It's not trashy nostalgia like an Adam Sandler movie but its still self-aware nostalgia stuff. There isn't much reason for this show to be in the 80s other than they wanted it to be and so they just as nostalgic as the viewers.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Are thinking assembly line produced super-hero movies being bland made-for-children cash cows that aren't good or interesting a hot take? My friends kids are interested in them, and some of my more nerdy friends who were big into comics as children and never really outgrew those franchises like them. But even then it's like a guilty pleasure and they fully admit they're absolute garbage you just "shut your brain off" to enjoy seeing costumed mans punch each other while the best effects money can buy overload every scene to the point of numbness.

There are no guilty pleasures. People posture about their taste.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Dont dont about stuff you dont like. Do you know lessons of life?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

"I cannot find any fun in an action-packed, comedic superhero movie. The fault is obviously with the movie and not my miserable self."
Pssst...fun can feel shallow and empty thus unsatisfying.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

People say that Marvel movies are "fun" must be children or morons. The only thing that can make me feel anything anymore is having dangerous sex with strange men without telling anyone where I'm going or who I'm meeting. That's what it take for me to feel alive, because I'm an adult.
You won't come back in the sequel if you catch AIIDDDS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6xg8M789ig

temple fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 7, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Ma-dey-ah? Ma-dee-ah, racist cracker!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

He has strong opinions and he gets a strong reactions. Its like people take offense and retaliate. Strange.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Slow on the comedy, this is getting more funny than GBS can handle

temple
Jul 29, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

I like how during that trailer for the greasy strangler, all the glowing reviews were from the Daily Mail, The Guardian, and The Huffington Post.
It was funny and cute at times but it overplayed the jokes until it wasn't funny anymore.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Xtro is an experience. Its the perfect insomnia fever dream 2AM and bored movie to watch.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

eSporks posted:

It's not that. It's that whole movie was about a family tearing itself apart with fear, but this completely undermined by knowing there is an actual witch pulling the strings. Didn't help that the witch was a cartoon character in an otherwise serious movie.
I don't remember any cartoon characters and horror reveal the monster and still be a horror.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

RLM does a good job of dialing back or abandoning formats that don't work. Keep it up!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rogue One is the best star wars since the originals.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The rogue one review is entirely too cynical.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The RLM Rogue One review was the guys playing armchair director with no self-awareness. Star Wars media is breaking out its previous conventions, particularly with Rogue One. RLM's suggestions sound like turning Rogue One into FA or ANH. It is strange seeing the guys do this because their prequel reviews differentiated themselves from other reviews and particularly nerdy ones because they tried to engage with the material presented. They evaluated the art as it was and only used the originals when they were directly comparable with the newer films. Fan service criticism can be used against any media with multiple installments. They did not communicate what made the fan service or references unemployable for them. Having concepts shared between films establishes consistency but in RLM's mind, it is pandering. RLM seems to be more interested in explaining what film producers were thinking, which they are just guessing, and discussing everything except the film they saw. This review is probably the weirdest one I've seen by them.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Did you not pick up on the part of the review where they hemmed and hawwed on whether Star Wars could even really work outside those conventions? That's why they brought up the Marvel movies, although there's a lot of variety in setting and character they have a fairly consistent tone which is pretty important to establish in a big franchise like Star Wars, that's what they were getting at with the part where you say they were turning it into another FA or ANH. Rogue one ends up with a strangely drab tone that, for my money, is pretty silly in lasers/space wizards land and doesn't really feel terribly convincing considering what 'know' the Star Wars universe is about. Which then feeds into the Fanservice stuff since it was pretty excessive. I don't know what they need to explain further there since its not just making connections for consistency, its going above and beyond and doing jarring and questionable things like CGI Peter Cushing+Carrie Fisher or Darth Vader's somewhat gratutious role when all these elements could have been excised relatively easily and probably would have allowed the film and characters to breath more and make their own identity without having to so explicitly lean on what's been long-established. However all these things also get people to go 'Darth Vader's in the movie? And Grand Moff Tarkin?! Wow, I wonder how they pulled that off! Better go see...'.
What's wrong with having a different tone? Why is that the important thing to a series now?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The entire third act of the movie was reasonably gritty, its honestly the first time in the entire franchise where it feels like its portraying actual war and not fun space adventures. Sure, there's no gore or anything, but they all die in the end. I mean people were accusing Disney of Disney-fying in TFA but this is a total 180.

Honestly I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone who is a fan of Star Wars would dislike the third act.
Did you care for the characters? That's where the line is drawn so far from reading SA.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

JFairfax posted:

i liked how the star destroyers looked like plastic.

I wanted to dislike the movie, but really enjoyed the third act.

it was a pretty bad rear end space battle.

whoever made the comparison between the opening scene of Rogue One and inglorious bastards was spot on, the initial setup of the characters in Rogue One didn't make me feel too much empathy with them. but the third act redeemed the movie totally for me.

A friend of mine suggested that Disney actually didn't want the movie to be too good as they didn't want it to overshadow the main features, and I suppose killing everyone is another way of ensuring that.

I thought of ingorious bastards a lot too because the film works because we don't know most of the characters and it has no bearing on the film. The characters represent the factions but comparing anyone to Tarantino is unfair so I didn't want to do that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

This BOTW really poo poo the bed
Its not AAAAAS bad AAAAAAS other youtube shows.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I guess RLM has went full circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntu-JYijTl8

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Randarkman posted:

What? gently caress you. The action scene in IV is waaayy more tense and interesting and banter between Han and Leia is actually pretty amusing as is the whole situation of Han, Luke and Chewie leading a rescue and having no idea or plan on what they really are supposed to do and Leia having to take over the whole thing. The scene in Rogue One, for me at least, was just another groan inducing action scene of the main characters being able to take out stormtroopers with such ease that killing them becomes a joke, which removes all the tension. I actually posit that the Empire actually was threatenign in IV and V (maybe VI as well until they are massacred by Ewoks) and that the Stormtroopers never seemed like a joke to fight for the heroes.
The hallways fights on the death star is plot armor with banter. Nothing matters either but it is presented in a tense fashion. They storm troopers miss so much that its a cultural meme. That doesn't make it bad. Likewise, two hardened fighters not talking doesn't ruin the RO scene either. They are different. Which, Mike has a thing about movies needing to be like other movies to be good. It is a blind spot in his criticism that comes up often. Its hard for him to allow movies to be different and good, he has certain favorites that he believes are "right" and films don't use the previously established conventions, Mike writes them off as "wrong". He is often correct in pointing out effective storytelling but blind to innovation.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

I started watching a couple half in the bags and they are alright.

Rich made a good point on R1 that the dirty secret of the Star Wars universe is that it seems really big but it's actually super small. Like this and future works will always need to have an OT character or be heavily influenced by OT elements, etc.

Granted this is really only the first crack at a side story, but I think his theory will end up being more true than not.
I understand what Rich is saying but Star Wars is no smaller than any other popular setting. Star Wars is like Batman movies where they rehash so much of the same stuff because that's what people want to see. Its show business not show freebies and people want to want to see ANH over and over. I think Lord of the Rings is boring but I don't go to see those films and complain that its always about hobbits or dragons or whatever LotR is about.

Star Wars would feel bigger if you watch the shows because shows need a lot of ideas and they aren't limited by 90-120 minute run-times.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Batman is way bigger than Star Wars. Not only are there way more characters and stories, but there's also a huge tonal variance. From super silly to super grim to crazy psychedelic to realistic. Batman 66 and The Dark Knight are both equally Batman. There will never be Star Wars movies as different from each other as Batman Forever and Batman vs Superman.
Compare Batman films not comics.

Rogue one is different than TFA and most othet star wars films. The PT and R1 added to the universe. Its like people don't appreciate the additions and just like the OT.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

No. Batman is a better, stronger, deeper source for movies because it's 70+ years of comics from thousands of different writers and artists. Star Wars is three movies.

The prequels added to the universe, but like you say, the additions are going to be mostly ignored or downplayed.

I think we agree.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

the Kessel Run".
Why is that a bad thing? Why is wanting to see legendary events like the dumbest gayest thing ever to people?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I heard a lot of people say they liked John Carter. Funny how its used brought up as a failure. (same for After Earth)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

CaptainFish posted:

I feel the same way as you. I didn't really appreciate the retread in TFA as much as others, and I felt pretty much nothing watching Vader gently caress poo poo up as some sort of proof that he's still cool. He felt pretty useless to the whole story, and watching him go nuts on completely faceless rebels after everyone died seemed so strange outside of the idea that they really wanted to tie it up directly to ANH. Also, I'd argue that showing him fail to get the plans from some cannon fodder is pretty uncool.
Rogue One's premise is that the Empire had won years prior and Vadar had already earned his keep. Stealing the death star plans (the entire point of rogue one) was having the germ of hope.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I think Mike doesn't get that overreacting to stuff is what nerds/youtube personalities do. Star Wars fans are probably older than him and couldn't give a poo poo beyond curiosity. The people you see today crying over movie trailers are just acting so they get views and youtube money (thanks to peedeepie, avgn, markiplier) Its like people that love weed so they can be the weed guy and get invited to parties. Mike is tilting at windmills.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Again, its weird that Mike thinks he hates fanboys or they hate him. Fanboys hate the PT as much he does and are what propelled RLM to where it is. But now, he hates fan boys for liking movies that are objectively better than the PT. I think Mike doesn't realize that RLM has its down fanboys now and no one is forcing him to do Plinket reviews any more. The internet is so ironic that I think it broke his brain. Just because people defend a movie doesn't mean they are fanboys and if people hate a film doesn't make them open minded. Also....

a bone to pick posted:

Mike cracks open a chestnut by the fireplace, Jay walks into the room and asks Mike, "how about you crack these nuts?" And then drops his pants. Mike tells Jay to look up, Jay follows his command and finds a mistletoe hanging above him. When Jay looks down Mike is standing a few inches away from his face and lets out a loud belch. "Looks like I'm gassy" says Mike, "you'll have to suck the gas out of me", Jay turns bright red, Mike grabs him and pulls him close, opening his mouth for a kiss.

"Oh my god!" Exclaims Rich from the other room. "Did you guys forget we're all here?". Mike and Jay turn to their left to find Jack, Josh, The Canadians, Max Landis, and Rich staring at them. Max rubs his genitals while whispering "it's a Christmas miracle".

Happy holidays from RLM!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

JB50 posted:

Did anyone post this yet, shes kinda like RLM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw

I watched this a week back and she's dumb. Basically, she didn't know everyone's favorite color and animal so the characters are weak. The only gripe I have with the marvel cinematic universe (so dumb to type) is how people think all movies have to be like marvel movies now. its like michael bay movies 10 years ago.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I guess RLM is grumpy old men now.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Youtube commentators imitating podcast commentators while criticizing fanboys of media that have voluntarily poured hundreds of hours editing into multiple videos (that get paid from advertisements but won't sell out to a corporation to promote media they can't stop talking about).

temple fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 6, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

WampaLord posted:

It's such a perfect mocking. It reminded me of the Rooster Teeth video where they gave Giant Bomb poo poo for giving Fallout 4 a 3 out of 5 while wearing the promotional plastic Pip Boys that came with the collector's edition of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMtajiLLGWM

I can't find the actual video, just this one mocking it, but the thumbnail gets my point across.
So its about ethics in gaming journalism?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

My younger brother used to get loot crate and he did it just for tee-shirts and posters. The meta game of it is trading with other people because each crate slightly different. And they provide cheap and easy gifts. It makes sense if you have large circle of nerd friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Zzulu posted:

hmm

no it doesn't

If you want tee shirts and posters you

1 - buy the tshirts and posters
2 -

Every loot crate on a given month is the same. They change month to month. If you get three loot crates in one month, they will have the same things in them, though probably slightly varied versions (like when we got TMNT actions figures. Some got Leo while some got Raph and others got Donny and still others got Mikey)

• Locked thread