Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Mike Stoklasa is my spirit animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Force awakens was a solidly mediocre movie that is not worth a plinkett review

Yeah. It is neither good nor bad, it just is. Like a Marvel movie!

Now Star Trek Into Darkness, that is a gigantic loving turd of a movie that deserves a plinkett takedown.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MGSV has some great gameplay but boy howdy does it get old and start to turn into a slog after a while. It's definitely my least favorite Metal Gear game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The new star wars review was very funny and at many points I slapped my knee laughing

I was also like "how the gently caress are they going to do a plinkett review on TFA because there just isn't that much to say about it", and it turns out that's true, and instead spend most of the runtime making GBS threads on retarded millennial bloggers who like the prequels, and this I approve of

I also appreciate it that even unintentionally, this whole review was like a giant flaming middle finger to CineD

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Christ, when does he start talking about The Force Awakens?

I love it that he barely talks about TFA because to be loving honest it's so meh there just isn't much to say about it so he talks about other poo poo lol

He's totally right though in that it feels like we skipped a movie or two between ROTJ and TFA and what we skipped sounds way more interesting

Ka0 posted:

I wish I could make star wars and harry potter disappear from the Earth.

Replace Star Wars with new Doctor Who and we're good.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Anyone wanna talk about Metal Gear?

I like Metal Gear.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

I am confused by how a masculine, handsome tough bad-rear end like Snake can be potentially gay while being surprisingly quiet on the 'not-gay' front.

Wai--

I dunno about Snake, but Ocelot is most definitely gay for Big Boss. Like, it's canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zFOdQYmTrk

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Politics are dumb and make you dumb.

At least on the bright side, all the insane PC poo poo of the 90s blew over so maybe by 2020 people will be allowed to make jokes and have a sense of humor again. It seems like more and more people are getting tired of self-righteous indignation.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Sure, right after the broken brains actually racist and sexist and gaybashing people stop thinking that people making tasteless jokes are on their side. It's like joking about rape in front of a real rapist, the rapist is going to think "Ha ha ha, we rapists amirite?".

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but you seem mad about something

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

See, it's not a hard concept to understand if you don't have donkey brains.

I'm a crocodile brain thanks

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

dreezy posted:

when I saw mugging to camera I mean the avgn/nostalgia critic scum.

the avgn is a decent guy, he just unwittingly created a monster when all sorts of retards decided to ape his style.

I wish the nostalgia critic and all his fans would die in a fire though

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

dreezy posted:

the bttf clickbait video could probably be its own video and get some viral views.

The problem with it is that Back to the Future actually is better than the Star Wars trilogy, because BTTF is the best trilogy period

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

BttF isn't even good.

Yeah, it isn't good. It's great. And the best movie trilogy ever.

BTTF2 is the weakest of the three but BTTF3 brings it back with the old west.

I would say the original Ghostbusters is my other favorite movie but sadly I can't mention that movie without opening a huge can of worms and that sucks rear end. So I'm going to say the original Jurassic Park instead. There's no controversy around Jurassic World and the other sequels, everybody pretty much agrees they all suck except for the first one.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Why is (Anakin/Kylo) so great when his character is the exact same sort of immature, trying to be a toughguy, tantrum-throwing petty poo poo as (Kylo/Anakin), who all of you think is so horrible?

Because he's a villain and not the protagonist.

It works thematically because he's a Darth Vader wannabe, except he fails to be like Darth Vader when Vader was cool, but ironically is more like Vader when he sucked.

I'm kind of torn on Kylo Ren though, because while I think his characterization is interesting and clever, he's also really, really pathetic and doesn't feel even remotely threatening or dangerous. A big part of what made Darth Vader and the Empire so great is that they seemed practically unstoppable, so you root for desperate underdogs going up against impossible odds. Rey pretty much humiliated Kylo Ren at every chance she got. The stakes don't feel so high when your hero totally punks the bad guy with no training or effort.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm guessing Kylo is going to turn good again and then they have to fight the real big bad guy.

Yeah. See, I think it would be interesting if they purposely left Rey on Jakku because she was too strong and they were worried she would turn to the dark side. Maybe she is the reincarnation of Anakin and Luke was like "oh poo poo, hell no, we're not going to have this happen again."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I think that's less to do with Kylo being a weak villain and more to do with Rey being a ridiculous Mary Sue.

Yeah. Aside from blowing up the Death Star, Luke was pretty bad at the whole hero thing until Return of the Jedi. In ANH he was an inexperienced, dorky, naive kid. In Empire in particular he really struggled with Yoda's training and had his rear end handed to him by Vader. Finally, in Jedi, he had grown into a wise and experienced adult and finally managed to succeed in his quest.

Rey on the other hand automatically knows how to fly the Falcon like a pro as well as fix it. She can do a Jedi mind trick with no training and manages to escape on her own. Then she kicks the bad guy's rear end like its no big thing. Her only real flaw is that she wants to avoid her destiny.

I would also be pissed if she isn't a Skywalker because that would totally derail the story to the past 6 movies almost as much as if Palpatine came back in a clone body and turned Luke bad.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I guess Rey really is a Mary Sue, because I really can't think of any flaws she has.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

kylo ren can't become a hero. He's already done too much bad guy stuff. At best he can become the Vegeta of the franchise

Kylo Ren can't become the Star Wars version of Vegeta, because Vegeta is actually cool

Star Wars could definitely use a Vegeta or Piccolo, though

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Lando wasn't in the Force Awakens because there can only be one black guy in Star Wars at any given time

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The lady in rogue one is a million times hotter than rei. She can touch my lightsaber anytime

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

who do you think emperor snoke is

gently caress you, Lando is the smoothest brotha in the whole universe, he'd never be Snoke. That's not true! That's IMPOSSIBLE! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

temple posted:

Young Lando only if it plays like black dynamite in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4kIaHc4tAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NATeU-r0GDU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If I did the Force Awakens, I would make Lando the president of the galaxy, because you know that's what he's probably do after Star Wars.

I would also have an Ewok on a booster seat in an X-Wing going all yub nub.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Being hotter than Rei isn't very impressive, Asuka was always the hot one

misato is the best. also isnt underage

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think in TFA, Rei is in fact a newtype

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

gently caress, it would be so amazing if Star Wars up and turned into Gundam. Millions of confused, angry fans emerging from episode 8...

Rey is not the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker, but rather Amuro Ray.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Gundam is basically Star Wars if Star Wars was very cynical about humanity and went into the whole "war is hell" thing.

What I'm saying is that Star Wars is basically a live action anime

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I liked Rogue One and I still like RLM even though I disagree with them.

In fact, I don't even totally disagree with them in that they're totally right in that it's a movie for neckbeards and I'm one of the neckbeards who ate it all up.

Before I even saw the movie, I had a feeling that it would appeal to hardcore Star Wars fans but wouldn't go over too well with general audiences. Rogue One is pretty much like a somewhat okay Expanded Universe book or comic made into a movie, except it's not really specifically based on any particular one.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I kinda feel like RLM were expecting a different kind of movie, though. They wanted something like the original Star Wars trilogy and instead we got a PG-13 Saving Private Ryan that happened to be in the Star Wars universe. I knew that was what I was gonna get going into it and I didn't come out disappointed.

I appreciate that they at least tried something different. Don't get me wrong, the prequels are really lovely movies, but I can kind of respect Lucas for trying to have an artistic vision, even though he completely failed at making actual good movies. TFA was much, much more competently made than the prequels and actually gave us some good new characters, but the whole movie just feels utterly devoid of creativity and plays it so safe, it's almost like it's scared to do anything new.

I think what I'm getting at is I have more respect for a well-meaning and ambitious failure than a success that didn't even try.

In the future, I don't think TFA will be all that fondly remembered. In fact, I'm pretty sure both TFA and Rogue One will be more or less forgotten. The prequels are still remembered and will continue to be, just remembered in infamy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, JJ is indeed a hack fraud. I also like Star Trek because I just like Stars in general. The only JJ Trek movie I actually like is the one that wasn't directed by him and he had very little to do with.

I feel like Episode 8 is going to be the movie that really makes or breaks the sequel trilogy, because TFA was such a non-entity. Hell, maybe they should just make it a sequel quadrilogy instead because Episode 7 is mostly just wasted time.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Honestly, it's good that that Plinkett review doesn't talk about TFA that much, because there just isn't much to say about the movie and didn't really deserve a long form takedown.

My biggest beef about the movie is that it feels so... I dunno, empty? In every other Star Wars movie, you always get a sense that there's a larger universe out there, but not really this one. Jakku feels really empty, whereas we at least get to see Mos Eisley on Tattooine. We don't really get to see a lot of different creatures, ships, interesting locales...

I mean hell, the prequels got them so scared of politics that they don't even bother to explain that status quo of the galaxy, who the Resistance are and why they're separate from the New Republic, what the deal with the First Order is, and so on.

There is so much information in the movie that feels like it's been deliberately left out so they can keep you guessing in time for a sequel. Who the hell is Snoke? What happened to Luke and his Jedi academy? What's the deal with Rey? Well, guess you gotta wait for a later movie to find out! It almost feels like we skipped a much more interesting movie between episodes 6 and 7. This kind of reminds me of another infamous JJ Abrams project that would string viewers along with UNANSWERED MYSTERIES!!! only to end in total disappointment. Instead of having the audience wonder what happens next, we're all scratching out heads wondering what the hell happened before.

The final battle in the third act was anemic as hell. So, the First Order builds this huge superweapon out of a planet and they only defend it with like, 10 TIE Fighters? You go from the kickass finale of Return of the Jedi to the underwhelming wet fart of TFA's third act. Rogue One had a much better final battle, because it was very ROTJ in space, mixed with Saving Private Ryan on the ground.

And yeah, I realize they're aping ANH in TFA and that was smaller scale and didn't feature any capital ships or anything as well, but that one actually had tension in it - so much so that you could cut it with a knife. Same thing with the finale of Empire - Vader is like an imposing, unstoppable force of evil in that one. Never do I ever feel even remotely concerned for Rey's safety. She completely clowns the antagonist of the movie with zero training or effort. Kylo Ren and the First Order feel like complete jokes who are only barely more threatening than General Grevious and his battle droids, despite having blown up way more planets than the Empire ever did.

Now, after this huge rant, do I think TFA was awful? No, it wasn't. It was just uninspired and underwhelming.

Before, when Star Wars was bad, it was spectacularly bad. When Star Trek's bad, more often than not, it's just bland and forgettable. Star Wars is now entering into Trek Bad territory. The Force Awakens is only a few steps away from the Star Trek: Insurrection kind of bad. Don't get me wrong, it's a much, MUCH better movie than Star Trek Insurrection, but I've seen Insurrection multiple times and can still barely remember the movie at all.

People actively try to forget things like 10 year old Anakin and Jar Jar Binks. TFA (and to some degrees, Rogue One) have the opposite problem in that you have to struggle to even remember it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Each of them interesting in their own right and utilized properly and sufficiently.

Yep. Even when you don't count all the times we visit Tatooine in later movies and go by Episode IV alone, Tatooine is a pretty interesting, well fleshed out place. It has moisture farmers, Jawas, Sand People and a seedy space port with all sorts of criminals from across the galaxy. Jakku has some wreckage of spaceships and... a couple tents with barely anyone living there I guess.

They're both desert planets, but Jakku feels infinitely more barren and lifeless.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, Episode IX is going to be a little awkward now. I guess Princess Leia died offscreen on the way back to her home planet.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

How many years do we wait before they can put her CGI face onto someone in a future movie

We now have the technology so that the actors in our movies don't actually have to still be alive. *phew* perfect timing guys.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

There's a lot of cool poo poo in the Art of the Force Awakens book that never made it into the movie because Disney and JJ were too lazy \ scared to do anything new or interesting

Instead, let's just have X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Stormtroopers, Han, Chewie, the Falcon, Not-Tatooine, Not-Hoth, Not-Yoda, Not-The Empire, Not-Darth Vader, Not-The Death Star and Girl Luke

That should hit all the checkmarks people want, right? Ok fine, we'll begrudingly put in a black Stormtrooper with a heart of gold and a lightsaber with a cross guard because Bob insisted we don't just do a straight up remake

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 27, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

After watching it this is kinda how I feel. It was... OK. OK enough to actually go see in a theater? Well how much do you care about The Star Wars or enjoy Passable Action Movies?

Dark Father was in the movie pretty much just so they could do that hallway scene

but that doesn't make it not a badass scene even though they stuck in that awful pun earlier oh god that was awful

I'm conflicted

I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate!

Rogue One really feels like a movie made by total Star Wars nerds for Star Wars nerds and not really for anyone else. I'm okay with this though, as I'm a huge Star Wars nerd.

It really feels like it's one of the hundreds of somewhat passable Star Wars comics given a huge budget and made into a movie. In fact, it's probably a bit better than the average Star Wars tie-in fiction, because since the mid '90's they've churned out so many Star Wars books and comics that any quality control became nearly non-existent.

So like, if you were a kid like me who used to read the Star Wars Essential Guide to whatever when you were sitting on the toilet all the time then Rogue One is for you. But I'm a spergy loser and if you're not and don't know or care who Mon Mothma or Bail Organa are, it's not for you

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A friend of mine joked that the Force Awakens is the Star Wars movie for dirty casuals and Rogue One is the Star Wars movie for basement-dwelling sperglords, but the thing is, that's actually kinda true lol

Like, dude, while watching TFA I was like "Man, I'm disappointed there aren't any TIE Interceptors or capital ships in this. ...poo poo, this might be why I haven't gotten laid in like 10 years"

I'm like a wisened sage full of life experience. Look at my life and use it as an example for what not to do. Much like Rich Evans

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't like the massive plot holes and really bad plot in TFA and I didn't like the total lack of interesting characters and a lot of odd "we have a kinda interesting new idea but we're going to play it so safe as to make it useless" writing choices. It almost felt like I was watching the theatrical release on Alien 3, as if all the character development and entire key plots were edited out of the movie.

Hell, they could have been. I'm really curious to see the director's cut of Rogue One and see how different it is.

What's kinda funny \ weird is that Rogue One has what TFA was lacking and visa versa. If only you could merge them together, you could have one really good movie instead of two mediocre ones. It's really kind of telling too, because all over you're finding people "picking a side" and defending one movie and trashing the other.

The two movies really are like total opposites and both provide part of what's great about Star Wars without ever getting the whole thing, which is why you have team TFA and team R1 because different people want different poo poo outta Star Wars

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 27, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I thought the X-Wings were different? Didn't they have six wings instead of four?

The X-Wings in TFA were slightly different and had different engines and wings that were kinda like scissors.

The TIE Fighters were literally just a palette swap

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

oohhboy posted:

You still have to keep it inside the boundaries of what the film is. This is a war film, comparing it to a non-existent heist film is a non-starter. Imagine Saving private Ryan being compared something that doesn't exists yet in a genera that has nothing to do with it is silly. What that tell me is that you walked into the wrong movie with expectations that had nothing to do with what happened.

Yeah, RLM talking about a non-existent heist movie in the vein of Ocean's Eleven made me kind of raise an eyebrow because... that's not what it was, or was even advertised as?

A friend of mine (who hated Rogue One and said it was more of a remake of ANH than TFA which is completely nonsensical) once got really mad at the movie Don't Breathe. This movie was advertised as a film where a blind man with daredevil powers murders a bunch of teenagers and we all knew this was what it was going to be going in to it, but he was mad that the killer was in fact blind and there wasn't some twist that he wasn't. DUDE, THEY TOLD YOU HE WAS BLIND BEFORE YOU EVEN SAW THE MOVIE AND IT WAS ITS drat SELLING POINT, THE gently caress DO YOU WANT

It's like going to a restaurant and you order a pizza that has anchovies on it. The waiter is like "you know, there's anchovies on this, right?" and you're like "yeah whatever" and order it anyway. Then it comes out and you're pissed off that there's anchovies on your pizza. Well, you got yourself to blame for that one numbnuts

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The "choke on your ambitions" line was terrible and cringe-worthy and I bet that's one of the changes the Disney execs mandated in post

I really want to see the original cut of this movie, but I'm sure the people who hate this movie would hate it even more as it would be even darker, have less humor and be too far removed from the tone of the main Star Wars movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This, for me, was what killed the film. I didn't give two shits what happened to any of the characters.
Felicity Jones has to be the worst lead cast playing the worst lead character in any of the Star Wars films. Mark Hamill wasn't amazing in the originals but at least his character was well written.

Come on dude\dudette... just come on... you are missing the elephant in the room here that is Hayden Christensen (and\or Jake Lloyd). Also Mark Hammil is perfectly fine

Felicity Jones might have been very bland, but at least she wasn't annoying or loathsome.

I'm not gonna lie though, throughout the whole movie I kept getting distracted by her teeth. I bet she could cut down trees and build a dam with those chompers.

However on the plus side, whenever she ran her boobs jiggled a lot and that was nice

• Locked thread