Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i give the plinkett a solid B. like an 84. pretty fun, but considerably lower than the first 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Upon watching the review the second time, they seem to go out of their way to explain that the review would be different and sets up each segment pretty nicely. Plus plinkett reviews are just fun. I guess his thesis was "the new movies are soulless and the prequels still suck" which I agree with. Some parts were better than others, and the original 3 were superior but this one was still fun.

Also starship troopers rules and I too wonder why there aren't more movies like it. Paul verhoeven rules, even if the rape in flesh and blood was a bit raw

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Junkfist posted:

Rey is a Mary Sue.

the thing that bothered me with Rey is that she was just too competent with the force. i know a lot of people have spoken about this, but whatever. its not just that she figured out she could use the force; like fine, maybe she had an inclination. but its the fact that she knew how to use it, as in literally the specific ways of force manipulation, without any training.

the whole mind control thing was way too much and even pulling the lightsaber from the snow was too much for me. luke doing it in empire was supposed to show that he had some training and was just learning basic functions. he even struggles with it a bunch and has to really focus to do it. it feels like he's trying to tap into an ancient space magic thing which makes the reward so much better for something so simple.

with rey, she just is able to do all this stuff that we as an audience know are really cool but it ultimately robs "the force" of any kind of impressive mystery. instead its more like a video game where we read it as "oh, she just starts out at level 3 cuz she's special."

edit: verhoeven rules

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Jive posted:

I honestly don't have a problem with it, makes the Force seem more Zen. Like, more instinct than technique. "Do or do not, there is no try." Luke had trouble with Jedi tricks at first because he was overthinking it. If you want Jedi mind tricks to be this refined skill then go back to the Jedi kindergarten in the prequels because that's the logical conclusion.

except that the whole original trilogy, the one we all like, was about luke searching for someone to teach him the ways of the force. you know, teacher characters like "obi wan kenobi" and "yoda." its already established that its something that requires a teacher, training, and years of practice.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Jive posted:

Yeah that's fair. Still, what did they really teach him? Obi Wan was all "Use the Force trust in the Force trust your emotions" and Yoda was all "Stop trying to do it and just do it." Nobody taught Luke how to descend into the third level of subawareness and use midichlorians to connect the locii of his hand and the lightsaber.

Well, we see obi wan training him with the helmet and laser ball, but your point is well taken. I figure its like obi wan just left him some text books and he did some self study. or he at least taught luke some rudimentary exercises and luke just practiced those a bunch. because its definitely true that there wasn't much one on one time with obi wan considering he gets snuffed in the death star early on. the moving poo poo thing seems pretty low level to me, so luke could have been aware he could move stuff (told by obi wan), practiced moving small stuff, and then the lightsaber was like the biggest thing he'd ever tried and he struggled with it but got it just in time!

also, lol, i'm more inclined to believe the force is more fluid than your hilarious last sentence. man, people dug too deep into how it all works, lol.

CharlestonJew posted:

let's make a 3rd death star, but EVEN BIGGER and it can BLOW UP MORE PLANETS LIKE A SPACE SHOTGUN

yeah, this was hands down the dumbest part of the whole loving movie.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

what movie even comes close to total recall though

seriously though, total recall is a great movie. loving great.

5th element is good too. but total recall is a whole 'nother level.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Geteven is a god drat national treasure and belongs in the library of congress.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
was the witch any good? i got all excited by their discussion of it and now i want to watch it. i don't usually venture into horror movies, but this one just looks like a good and interesting movie

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

They'll probably just both team up to fight hologram man or whatever

yeah the new trilogy is definitely going to be more avatar: the last airbender than some cool dark twist where the good become bad and the bad become good.

the latter would be actually interesting whereas the former is played out and boring now

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Two problems with this.

1. They shot an asteroid across the entire galaxy while seeming to lack any sort of space-based infrastructure. And, until Klendathu, the humans don't think the bugs were intelligent, just animals - so how did they knowingly send a rock to smash Earth?
2. Earth has a defense network that we see is very good at blowing up asteroids earlier in the film, and yet it failed to get this one.

No. The bug jizz blows up spaceships.

Apparently a Starship Troopers comic book or something explicitly states that it was a random asteroid.

1) They use worm holes to shorten the distance…i think. i think that's in the movie, right guys?

2) they built the defense belt after the buenos aires attack so that it couldn't happen again.

i love that rlm did a re:view of Starship Troopers, but i wish it was more coherent and better planned out. its a really good movie on many levels. best of all, its one of those movies that gets better with repeat viewings. there are so many little details and hints packed into the story. unpacking it all requires a couple watch-throughs, which is fine because the action is typically good enough to prevent boredom.

that first landing blew me away when i was young. the wholesale slaughter of an arrogant human army did an excellent job of raising the stakes and adding a tone of seriousness underneath the backdrop of the 90210 vibe.

great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
all three prequels sucked unfathomable amounts of poo poo

my personal least favorite was attack of the clones, but really they all loving sucked

i also thought the force awakens was bad/lazy as hell

:legion:

• Locked thread