Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Alien Isolation is dumb garbage and DOOM is the best game ever, so I agree with 100% of the prerecs I've seen.

Cum.
They are still wrong for their opinions on the Uncharted series though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I don't know why people see the Marvel method such as such an evil awful thing, I rather have poo poo planned out and released in a nice tri to quarterly pace of enjoyable movies. That and saying that Avatar was influenced by the success of the MCU is pretty false seeing how there were always going to be a lot of sequels for it because James Cameron is a mad man.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

JB50 posted:

I hate how in recent films (not just Batman) theyre doing this thing where they argue that the heros ARE the problem because the bad guys come to fight them. Thats like saying the police are the problem when people commit crimes. Its a dumb argument, and if the heros werent there youd all be slaves or dead.
People apparently want to watch a movie where Bruce Wayne decides being Batman is a dumb immature idea and instead dedicates his life helping the poor class and funding the inner city to end crime.

The same people also love to talk about how the entire MCU is fascistic and right wing propaganda instead of fun pulp movies where you don't look into deeper meaning or give a poo poo about how good it looks from a cinematographic level.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

In the comics he does.
And in the cartoons too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah. there have always been wannabe "culture critics" who loving HATE batman/super heros movies/comics/games/etc. it kinda of a fad with them. yeah some of them have good points. but most of its about the violence and "toxic masculinity"(sure its loving real but i dont think batman or captain america are it) or how people will become right wingers because of it. most of them are bunch of selfhating leftie west coasters.
I remember someone bashing Mad Max Fury Road because it was violent :psyduck:

It was that Macintosh guy who posted his opinion on the Feminist Frequency twitter like a coward to get the blame on his friend.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Fortunately for autists everywhere there's "the death of the author" argument, which they can invoke to pretend movies aren't often made as part of an ongoing conversation, of which the author is as much of a part as their work.
If I write something culturally significant, every page is going to have a footnote that says *gently caress death of the author listen or read to any interview about this book for the real legit context of my work

Its like how people always say the ending of The Killing Joke is ambiguous or that Batman killed the Joker despite their being a script from Alan Moore saying that the ending is just him and Joker laughing maniacally

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Demolition Man is great, always funny to see Jack Black show up in it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Kept waiting for these hack frauds to mention that Deadpool was the runaway ultra-mega-success of the year but they didn't because Disney paid them off to not speak positively about Fox-owned Marvel properties and also because it wasn't a summer movie.
I kind of cringed when Jay was talking about how Marvel was in the wrong for letting Edgar Wright leave Ant-man when everything good about the movie we got was due to the changes they made that caused Wright to leave.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

JB50 posted:

Eh, Josh was good in this video. Re:View is more of a format where his prep work before hand doesn't hurt him. Unlike his planned jokes in the BOTW and WOTW.
That and I think he is the horror nerd fan of the group along with Jay which is why they are grouped together for these films

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Upcoming Sony films: live action Barbie movie, Jumanji remake, Bad Boys 3 and 4, Hotel Transylvania 3
Upcoming WB films: King Kong reboot, King Arthur reboot, CHiPs, Blade Runner 2049, Tomb Raider reboot, Ready Player One, Jungle Book: Origins, Minecraft
Upcoming Paramount films: Monster Trucks, Baywatch, Transformers 5, 6 & 7, Sherlock Gnomes

:suicide:
The King Kong reboot actually looks pretty cool and is that King Arthur movie the Guy Ritchie directed one?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Mike continues to be very upset asian people appear in films.
That and getting Forest Whitaker is just pandering to get the Black Demo and not because Forest Whitaker is a great actor.

I feel like RLM really overestimates how cynical Hollywood is

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MrSlam posted:

The only movie I've seen Forest Whitaker in was Battlefield Earth, so I don't think I have a very good perspective on his chops as an actor.
Ghost Dog and The Last King of Scotland are great if you want to see Forest Whitaker be a great actor; he was also the only one in Battlefield Earth self aware of how stupid the movie was and decided to have fun with it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

From the early reviews Dr. Strange seems to be a normal Marvel movie except with a memorable score and interesting visuals which means Jay might like it; actually Jay is pretty fair to those Marvel movies, its Rich and Mike who go CD on them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Another thing I found silly in that Plinkett video was the complaint that TFA merch was everywhere; was that not the case for the OT?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Cined hates it because it didn't teach everything they think about communism
I like how some are circling the wagons that the reviews of Dr. Strange are praising the score and visuals, you know the two things they complain most about MCU movies?

Turns out that the movie totally just meets bare minimum and that is so mindblowing to critics that they heap overwhelming praise

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

dreezy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTNuZWA4mY

dawn of the dead re:view, all killer no filler mike and jay extravaganza.

Its amazing how long it took me to see Dawn of the Dead considering it was filmed in my town, shame the Mall has changed so much, they got rid of that JC Penny (replaced it with a movie theater) where the sliding down the escalator scene happened. The fountains were they have one zombie collecting coins were removed last year. The food court is where the ice rink is now a days. They had the first big zombie walks there until the event got too big for the Mall. They also had a zombie museum behind the arcade, but I think they moved/ran out of money.

Anyway I love this movie other than local pride, I like it mainly because its more of an adventure than straight up horror flick.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The finale of Dawn of the Dead is great and the end credits are my favorite in any movie ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdAV1XXJog
Also Dawn has a lot of great zombies, my personal favorite being the one who takes a rifle and spends the rest of the movie pointing the rifle to his head

spooky like this! posted:

So why is Dawn of the Dead so hard to find/out of print?
From Jay on the RLM forum "Richard Rubinstein, the producer, owns the rights to both this and Romero's Martin (his best movie) and he wants a ridiculous amount of money to license them."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

But Kreia was female
KOTR2 is great if buggy (Obsidiangame.txt) because Chris Avellone hated the concept of Star Wars

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I like when the gang goes YEEEAHHHHH whenever something explodes, whether it be a car jackknifing or a head blowing up.

edit: Oh man, "let's go send those fuckers a rambo-gram" is the best line ever
Surprised they weren't going Yeeeeeah when there was a stuntman on fire

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man Mike seems bitter and jaded that action movie making has changed since the 70s and 80s

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Englebert Scoobysnacks is literally doing a Doctor House impression for a performance WTF
I think the Brits can get away with having lovely American accents since those lovely accents are no where near as bad as Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Coincidentally, there was no pre-rec stream yesterday.
https://twitter.com/Harlack/status/796329263289040896

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Surprised they didn't bring up Close Encounters of the Third Kind when talking about Arrival

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Glad they liked The Nice Guys, that was a great film with one of my favorite performances out of Ryan "the bad teenager who joins the racist team in Remember the Titans" Gosling

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

it's almost like they are doing this...for money!
Which is funny when they criticize the Marvel movies for playing it safe because what they do makes money.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

priznat posted:

Zootopia and Moana had the distinction this year of being the first non-pixar non-cars kids movies that didn't make me want to kill myself from annoyance.

Secret life of pets loving sucked though and I hated it.
I miss the days when Dreamworks would make good 2D animated films before they went full CGI nonsense

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

dreezy posted:

lethal weapon
in bruges
american psycho
elf
christmas with the kranks
shrek
it's the great pumpkin charlie brown
ishtar
Iron Man 3
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Nice Guys

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MrSlam posted:

I used to. The early episodes were pretty fun. Then the episodes started getting longer and I just couldn't enjoy it anymore. I think his schtick works for 5-10 minute stretches on old goofy exploitation movies but it's so hard to give a poo poo for him riffing on the Village People movie for a half hour. Now that Youtube's changed their popularity algorithm again I wonder if he'll shorten the videos and encourage people to comment more.
I usually watch his Midnight screening vlogs over his snob videos at this point.

Phelous is a guy I will always watch even though his schitick is annoying to most people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Actually now that I think about it does Disney hate video games or something? It's not just Star Wars, I can't think of any games that have made use of the Avengers' popularity either.
Well now that Disney Infinity is dead Disney seems to be allowing video game devs to work with their properties again.

As for Star Wars games, I wish more people took story cues for KOTOR2, but then again that game was written by someone who hated the themes of Star Wars.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I think this thread is on the verge of winding up in CineD again.
Honestly the new CD subforum would be a good place to put the RLM thread. They ban Zisek talk there!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ceaselessfuture posted:

In one of their older Plinkett reviews (the Abrams Star Trek one, I think), they made fun of the audience for being popcorn eating, pop-swilling masses that want explosions and lens flares. Maybe I'm putting words into RLM's mouth but I think they're criticizing one aspect of a total audience -- ie, the easily influenced, mass-consuming, uncritical fanboys of both franchises that, instead of making their subjects deeper, richer and more interesting, are actually bringing them down with their lack of standards. The two Star Wars nerds bowing at the release of the Phantom Menace is another example. That blatant stupidity helps no one and just comes off as really pathetic.

Whether or not this is a good tactic is open for debate, but I think they're definitely focusing in on a particular type of fan and not "everyone that liked Rogue One."

but then again maybe they really fuckin hated it and actually think everyone that liked it is an idiot
They are basically a funnier version of CD, especially since they also don't think dumb outright banal stuff like Transformers are these secret masterpieces of art and vison. Oh and they also don't think Marvel movies are our version of Triumph of the Will and 30s German films that showed the rise of Nazism and Fascism

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm fine with thinking those things, especially since the OP of the cd transformers thread is really nice about his opinions. But look back in the thread history and there's some reeeeeaaaally bizarre lovely fights in it.

It's that CD people can be so hostile to any outside opinions and act like if you don't hold SMG and K Waste's exact opinions you are an anti-intellectual oppressing them. You MUST hold the Star Wars Prequels as high cinema for the exact reasons SMG said to or you are both stupid and bad at watching movies and you probably like to "turn off your brain".

I haven't even peaked in Blockbuster Video because I feel like it's probably going to be the same crowd and they're probably going to still just keep being that way.
Eh I've been on it and its fine, some nice conversations on movies I liked as kid like The Sandlot and Holes and the Brenden Frasier Mummy movies/The Scorpion King

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Folding Ideas is pretty good for film analysis, but he has some gimmicky puppet routine in his older videos that might put some people off.

Double Toasted is probably the best "people just talking about film" channel right now, and isn't inundated with the rampant fanboyism that killed Screen Junkies/Collider for me.

I really enjoy Lindsey Ellis' film analysis too.
I miss when Spill.com was around, but I'm glad that Corey and Martin keep the tradition going with DT, kind of crazy that Carlyle went on to write Dr. Strange.

Speaking of Ellis I'm also a fan of Kyle Kallgren who posts on these forums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6OTVyybZU
Shame like stuff like his Man who fell to Earth review is lost because of blip closing and it probably getting blocked since the gimmick of the review was it was done all with covers in Bowie songs.

oohhboy posted:

History Buffs is really quite good. He understands what the film is trying to achieve compared to the history and offers potential alterations to the movie that is in line with the whole of the movie that isn't demanding it to conform to a movie that doesn't exist.

He doesn't look to take down a movie unless it is fundamentally bad. See The Patriot. He smashed this film because the messaging is absurd verging on straight up propaganda.

Have a look at his 300 video. It is historically nonsense if it wasn't obvious, but he takes how it is twisted it was and gives a history lesson on it using excerpts from the film. He does the same with Saving Private Ryan. He takes apart the history and through it forms the criticisms and praises the film in question while offering a history lesson. He loves 300 because it took all those liberties with history to tell a good story about some kickass dudes.
I love how mad he gets at Mel Gibson movies even though I love Braveheart and Apocalypto

His recent Apollo 13 episode was great

Also he showed me something I didn't know when talking about Private Ryan, where when the GI shoots the surrendering "Germans" after mocking them for not being able to understand them; that they were speaking Czech and trying to tell him that they were press ganged by the Nazis.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

oohhboy posted:

"Movies with Mikey" was pretty good for John Wick even if it did reach a little over playing the Olympus angle.for too long like he is trying to stall for time. But the rest of the stuff I have seen is pretty garbage.

In The Fifth Element review he spends 3 minutes talking almost nothing(French stuff and half made up poo poo about circles) about The Fifth Element before he bashes the poo poo out of A Good Day to Die Hard for 20 minutes by describing it action scene by action scene. A complete waste of time that tells you absolutely nothing. Gee Die Hard 5 is a bad movie you say, not a Die Hard movie?, I didn't know that. I would have liked to see you talk about The Fifth loving Element please?

His TFA review is a perpetual unearned orgasm of Star Wars where he spends half the running time justifying TFA based on nostalgia the very thing JJ leans on completely. He considers that the movie existence is a miracle which he uses as a bludgeon that somehow confirms JJ's not a Hack Fraud instead of acknowledging that a SW movie was going to happen anyway JJ or not. It might as well been a fan video about ring theory.

His Interstellar video was ok, but he takes far, far to long to get to the point, something he keeps doing.

His hit rate is far, far too poor for me to continue. He gets an insight then proceeds to write a high school essay on it, constantly padding on time. He has good production values I guess?!

Back to the Hack Frauds at RLM, the #1 brand I trust and use everyday.
His video on The Lost World Jurassic Park is good because he pushes the idea that the Lost World is just as good as Jurassic Park and not garbage like people think it is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Film can be a collaborative, if corporate, process. Not every director needs to be a visionary. Some guys can get away with just setting up a shot, giving basic directions to actors, and making sure everyone else is doing their job and keeping things on time and under budget. This is why studios loving love Bay.

Snyder's problems is that he believed his own hype and thought himself an amazing storyteller. Not so much.
I think that's why people like the Marvel movies, they have a system and get directors that are good at obeying directions (though for the next couple of movies like GOTG2 and Thor 3 they got James Gunn and Taika Waititi who are pretty creative and have their voice) and don't try to take the movie away from the vision that Kevin Feige wants it to go. If anything Kevin Feige is the director of these Marvel movies.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Snyder is a lot like Tim Burton actually in that they both have a single trick. It's a really good trick when it matches the source material, but it's often really inappropriate for the movies that they end up directing. It's really no surprise that Snyder got his start in music videos and commercials. He's the master of a really awesome, highly stylized shot that gets you excited enough to buy a product. That works fine for a movie like 300, where it's not supposed to be anything but six-packs and limbs getting hacked off. This unfortunately gave him the reputation as being the go to guy for adapting critically acclaimed comic books into movies and he's really not well suited for it. Watchmen almost works just because of the quality of the source material, but it's still a poorly paced movie that had to cut a lot of the more intellectual and emotional aspects of the comic just to fit its runtime. So you end up having this really stylistic but often incoherent film.

Everything after that is just him trying to recapture the magic of 300 but with source material that doesn't mesh with it at all.
I wonder what is Zack Snyder's "Big Fish" then

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

temple posted:

Marvel movies work because they hit the right chord at the right time. There is no mystery or genius about it. It was a long time in the coming but people were ready for light hearted action movies they could take their kids to. As seen with the superman, spiderman, and BvS films, people don't care about serious heroes any more but those films would have been massive 20 years ago. Movies like Batman and Robin, The Last Action Hero, and more were family friendly action films but they didn't click because adults saw them as childish. Eventually, the 80's-90s man children was grew up, started having kids, and there was a huge niche that no one had exploited since Indiana Jones. Pixar also had a huge hand in creating a market for witty family films that prepared the way for their live action counterparts. Marvel movies to me are more like old Star Trek episodes than any previous super hero movies.

Nolan's Batman is probably the exception but Nolan has a draw of his own.
Last Action Hero would have probably done better if it didn't come out the time it did (ie right around the time Jurassic Park came out)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I'm just kidding. David Byrne is a monster for breaking up one of the greatest bands ever so that he could make music that no one ever wanted to listen to.
Sucks when really talented musicians are also kind of insufferable and lead to the breakup of the band (see: Mike Patton in Mr. Bungle/Faith No More)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Best thing Mike Patton ever did was that ep with Dillinger escape plan
His stuff with John Zorn is great, especially Litany IV

Wish there was more stuff from Lovage and Fantomas; Delirium Cordia is a great album to play outside your house for Halloween or a haunted house.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

I'm spurtin' just thinking about them making fun of the new resident evil and underworld
Hopefully they will review John Wick Chapter 2 since they missed out on the first John Wick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You know Argo won a ton of oscars right ??
I rather prefer The Town myself, mainly because its one of Pete Posethewaife's last roles and good god is he great in that movie for the little amount of town he's in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5EV-5JnsxQ

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 19, 2017

• Locked thread