Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Baronjutter posted:

Luke was kinda whiney and made some not-perfect choices and had some development. I liked Rey but she's just perfect in every way. She's already some how nearly perfectly trained simply as a natural, she always has the perfect quip (very important in movies today!), she's never selfish and always does the right good thing. She's fun and nice and cool though so her being a Mary Sue isn't really that bad and shows that it's not some scarlet letter, a Mary Sue when done well can be fine.

Zzulu posted:

Im fine with her being a natural
Shes goku, basically

DangerDummy! posted:

The Force Awakens was a well made movie for eight year olds, featuring a character eight year old girls would absolutely love, and my eight year old daughter thought it was super awesome, and I was very happy to watch a movie with her that I didn't hate.

5 loving stars. Succeeds on all levels.

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Don't forget one of the earlier movies in the genre, Kentucky Fried Movie, with the Enter the Dragon spoof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2qFDdXr_Q&t=806s

The whole movie is great.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

that character came on the scene when a prop-driven airplane flew 90mph tops

antibiotics weren't invented

the jungle was still actually dangerous

apes were scary

we now have nukes, laser-guided cruise missiles and cluster bombs

they can't make an ape scary

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Zzulu posted:

What if you're on an isolated island and have no laser-guided cruise missiles OR cluster bombs in your pocket? Like in that movie?

oh whoops look no cell phone reception for some reason hey ho whoa

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

WampaLord posted:

I've heard the effects are really neat and the story is typical Marvel story, but with no Avengers tie-ins.

Seems cool to me, as someone who enjoys "generic marvel trash."

The trailers look like they just upgraded the Inception animation software to version 2

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Trunko posted:

having empowered minorities such as woman and people with different skin colors in a cartoon movie will revolutionize the world and bring about an new era of peace.

it's actually not a big deal (at least it shouldn't be) so why are you trying to make it one

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

that's not an answer

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Let's have five thousand robots loop around *behind* the mech with the guns - twice - only to end up in front where he can shoot us.

Makes perfect sense.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

temple posted:

Marvel movies work because they hit the right chord at the right time. There is no mystery or genius about it.

Considering how many terrible film franchise attempts have come before and completely crashed and burned, I think you're really not giving it enough credit. I'm old enough to have seen every single drat attempt before, and really, nothing has ever been this huge with this many competent movies with this many players. What you call 'luck' I call 'a gently caress-ton of hard work and vision and a bit of luck'.

temple posted:

It was a long time in the coming but people were ready for light hearted action movies they could take their kids to. As seen with the superman, spiderman, and BvS films, people don't care about serious heroes any more but those films would have been massive 20 years ago. Movies like Batman and Robin, The Last Action Hero, and more were family friendly action films but they didn't click because adults saw them as childish. Eventually, the 80's-90s man children was grew up, started having kids, and there was a huge niche that no one had exploited since Indiana Jones. Pixar also had a huge hand in creating a market for witty family films that prepared the way for their live action counterparts. Marvel movies to me are more like old Star Trek episodes than any previous super hero movies.

Having watched all those movies at 'the right' age, nah - Batman and Robin went way beyond a knowing homage to the original into super uncomfortably gay and twink. Nipples on costumes just took it away from silly fun into 'how many times did the director sneak in and get butt-hosed in these' weirdness.

I think Last Action Hero had other problems. It seemed advertised poorly - the commercials fell flat. And, frankly, we had Arnie fatigue after seeing him everywhere for so long. We were also all about word of mouth back then, and I remember the word of mouth for it being really blah.

Having loved the original Superman I and II with Christopher Reeve, honestly the successful Marvel films feel like they're finally getting back to what that film attempted. A warm, heroic retelling with respect to the original characters. Formulaic? That's just respecting the genre! gently caress Ang Lee trying to make it art house. Give me Hulk wrecking poo poo and funny quips. That does feel like Original Star Trek, I guess, but that's the right thing to do IMO.

The only art house things I want to see are Moore's Swamp Thing or (completely not gonna happen) a Terry Gilliam from ten years ago making Miracleman.

temple posted:

Nolan's Batman is probably the exception but Nolan has a draw of his own.

Agreed. To add to it though, I think the lovely gay batman movies before, combined with the lingering love for Frank Miller's work and wanting to see Dark Knight in some form, primed people for Nolan's take.

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 9, 2017

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

temple posted:

My point is that Marvel films, to me, aren't about canon or consistency. I don't see that. I think Marvel captured the desire for relationship focused movies with quirky characters and they attached brands to it. Its like Teen Titans Go that goes completely the other direction in tone from other superhero cartoons.

I dunno - comics are anything but consistent. People dying and coming back to life, new artists coming in and changing the entire look, new writers coming in and loving over one character because he was the favorite of another writer they hated, uneven writing, dialogue that attempts to be bad-rear end but falls horribly flat, rolling back entire timelines, re-using the gently caress out of the most popular character in an ensemble to the point of being sick of them - that's comics. And I think the X-men films all by themselves are a perfect representation.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Mike is making intentionally gif-worthy moments more than Drake in that video for that lovely song.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

dreezy posted:

rlm used "that lovely song" in one of their videos so maybe eat your words?

That's kinda their MO, making movies about lovely stuff, so...

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Dmitri-9 posted:

He just didn't have the technology in 1999 to bring his true vision to the screen.

5:32-6:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbzSH84mj0

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Paladinus posted:

In that scene Ray is not Mary Sue. Hm...

Every loving Bond film up until Daniel Craig he's a Mary Sue.

It's an evolutionary phase. Don't let it ruin your chill.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Stryder posted:

I'm gonna post the same thing I did over in the Blockbuster Video RLM thread because... gently caress it.

Space Raiders was one of those movies that was on HBO a LOT when I was a kid, and it used to piss me off that it's basically just 75% recycled footage and music from the far superior Corman flick "Battle Beyond The Stars". I wish the RLM guys were better versed in b-movies so they could call out stuff like that.

You know WHY the models look so good? Because they were made by James loving Cameron for an entirely different movie. You know why it sounds like James Horner is cribbing from himself? Because he was, only not in the way you think. Battle Beyond The Stars came out two years before Wrath of Khan.

The chick with the dress that looks like hands on her boobs was the best.

And it was fun yelling 'BLOW poo poo UP JOHN BOY' at the worst moment in the theater.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

He's NOT gay?!

:vince:

I'll pray for him

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Rewatch prequels, because everything is explained there. And you also misremember things.

and poetry.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

WampaLord posted:

I'm actually shocked La La Land didn't win because Hollywood loving LOVES movies about Hollywood.

See, The Artist.

also, Birdman.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

JB50 posted:

Wasnt that more of the studios/execs idea? I thought he didnt even want to do the Hobbit.

It's his version of F4ntastic Four. But he's the hack brought in to make the scary horrible version more friendly at the last minute.

But instead of a stupid blonde wig it's CGI younger Legolas and elf dwarf romance.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

priznat posted:

Who didn't see a robot murder rebellion happening I mean come on. The only surprise is that it took 10 episodes to get there.

Yeah, it only took a bit over an hour in the 70's movie.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

The first one was amazing - it was goofy, over the top, and had uncomfortably scary fights.

It means more to me than the sanitized new Marvel movies.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

"If you lose all hope of ever changing to fit the beauty standards,
just change the beauty standards to fit you."

The new normal

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Shadowrun - with all the fun poo poo taken away

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

The Archaic posted:

I love that they're basically going in the reverse direction from DC (where every scene is monochromatic and takes place during a rain storm) and just completely upping the ante with insanity. It's like instead of cocaine the writers just dropped LSD and filmed whatever they wrote. Marvel always does well when they break the mold of standard superhero movies and just let the directors do whatever the gently caress they want (Guardians, Winter Soldier). I really can't wait for this movie.

Absolutely!

THIS is what a drat comic book is supposed to be!

Imagine this look and feel with even more Kirby, and imagine the Fantastic 4 movies having been treated like this.

It's...depressing that we'll never see that. :smith:

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Suit yourself. Not like their language also evolved. When did people start wrting it like "Ragnarök" with the "ö" though?

That letter appears in Icelandic, which is really close to old Norse.

So, I'd bet... a really loving long time ago.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Stickfigure posted:

By the way, were the original SW movies actually critically acclaimed or considered just ok\ good movies at the time?

Old gently caress here: Star Wars was a fantastically well-done pulp fantasy movie, Empire was kind of depressing and not what people wanted, and Jedi was a worthy spectacle but kind of juvenile.

Memories I have: Star Wars itself was just perfect and everyone I know saw it multiple times. (Just like Jaws.) Empire: The AT-ATs originally generated some awkward laughter at in the trailer when everyone first saw them, but in the movie, they worked. And the Luke/Vader fight was the best thing in the entire trilogy. Jedi: The Luke/Leia 'my sister' poo poo caused the whole theater to groan and shift in their seats, the Ewoks got eye rolls and 'that storm trooper armor doesn't work for poo poo' jokes, and that final song at the end made little kids happy but made me (high schooler) annoyed.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

naem posted:

I watched Conan again recently and it's hilarious I forgot

Shut your whore mouth

It's hilarious in the best B-movie way because it doesn't take itself all dark and gritty seriously

In the canon, it's the best, slightly above the Beastmaster

The only sword and sorcery movie from that era that pulled off 'serious' was Dragonslayer, and that was amazing

/srs post

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

priznat posted:

I want to see a Jay review on The Void, it looks extremely up his alley.

I thought for a second you meant 'Enter the Void' and man, that last, uh, panning sequence. Yeah. Love to see their faces for that.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Fartbox posted:

I got this 22 year old girl at work who talks about the Harry Potter movies like they were her Star Wars

Those movies were all so bad

Prisoner of Azkaban was awesome because Alfonso Cuarón

The rest, yeah, meh

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Blade Runner is very bad but then again so is literally every Ridley Scott movie except for Alien.

I saw The Duellists when I was 19 and it really seemed cool and good

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It was a cool movie but just the idea that learning a different language some how lets you see the future because the author read some pop-sci article about language shaping the way our brains perceive things is pretty silly. Like, what if some aliens tech us a new way of thinking about grammar that lets us fly??? What if like you can just think about syntax in a way that lets you breath under water! Reality is just our perceptions so our perceptions can shape reality and like time isn't linear dude.

Eh, read the short story, the rationale is a lot more interesting than that, and it doesn't get all hocus pocus about it. It was really good.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

In the Arrival short story, the daughter dies in an easily preventable rock climbing accident that Louise lets her go on anyway. That ends the marriage.

I thought the daughter was already long dead when the aliens show up and learning the language just helps her get over it?

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

no. the daughter died in the future because she didnt meet her father until the aliens showed up. the dad is the scienctist man played by the hulk. she saw the future and also came to terms with the future being immutable by learning the language

What an idiot

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

I mean me

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I love the story on the helicopter stunt.

30 helicopter pilots: You can't do that.
Producers: You can't do that.
Stuntmen: You can't do that.
Insurance guys: You can't do that.
Various film unions: You can't do that.
Physicist: You can't do that.
Crazy Vietnam veteran: poo poo man, I'll do it.

When that helicopter flew under the bridge in the theater I said 'NO loving WAY' out loud.

Can't think of a movie that's done that to me lately. Too much CGI makes stuff feel boring and safe.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

rewatching that T2 helicopter scene now, this poo poo is insane

It was really tense and lost me the moment the tunnel started

Cruise being blown back against 100+ mile an hour winds with an explosion and not being paste - lol

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Only if the top half of the tram car was missing. The air inside the car is traveling too. Try throwing a penny next time you're on the subway and watch as it doesn't fly backwards and clock someone in the head

warning danger danger airplane treadmill derail iminent woop woop

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, the Hobbit was extremely bad for this. I wasn't remotely entertained by any of it, it was stupid and over the top but without being entertaining. In some old chinese movie they'll have an insane over the top goofy fight scene with wire work and props and poo poo but also mostly real stunt work so I can appreciate the skill that went into it, but things are still grounded and real because it actually is real. In the hobbit I was ready to just peace out and leave at the barrel scene. Not only was it boring and lovely, it misses the entire point of the book in that their escape was shameful and pathetic. They had to slink away in old barrels like some river trash rather than escape heroically and Bilbo had to convince them it wasn't shameful or cowardly.

That's why I have a difficult time letting Jackson off the hook for how bad it is because he came in at the last minute.

I'm a designer, and have come in really late in big, screwed up projects. What you do is find ways to do the *minimum* possible in as many areas as possible, find clever ways to misdirect / hide / distract, and then find the few places that absolutely need a Big Bang and spend the whole effort there.

Some people, that comes easily. Others, it doesn't, and they really need to work the hell and out something (and get a lot of help) to get it right.

Jackson's first instinct is always 'too much'.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Space Taxi posted:

Alien 3 is more like the first Alien than Aliens.

but unlike Aliens it's really really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

priznat posted:

Cripes that looks bad.

The inhumans were always pretty lame. Scraping the bottom of the marvel universe barrel now it seems.

Guardians of the Galaxy was supposed to be poo poo too

But they got a killer cast of comically gifted actors and threw a poo poo-ton of budget to go all out Kirby

This thing should have been graphically gonzo as gently caress, it's more Kirby than Fantastic 4

Instead it's 'Galactica 1980 - We Have No Budget For This So We're Setting It On Earth'

What a train wreck

• Locked thread