Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doctorfrog posted:

People still care enough about TFA to make Mary Sue criticisms about it? Oh, this is in response to some Twitter things. An article that doesn't matter about a thing that doesn't matter about a movie that no longer matters by some people who don't matter on a platform that doesn't matter. Reported on a dead forum.

Why are you bothered to post about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I think Jay was a bully".

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Rey moved stuff with her mind, which is not something Newtypes can do. Newtypes just have a sort of emotional telepathy and greatly enhanced spatial reasoning. No telekinesis.

Ahahahah, Newtypes start pulling BS that would make Jedi blush, George Lucas and PT good.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everybody is funnier wasted, just don't go purple hands level of drinking.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the single time a Newtype is able to physically move something using Newtype powers, he dies in the process, it takes the collective will of dozens of people and a state of the art mobile suit to conduct that will, and it's regarded as basically a one-time miracle.

Pretty sure he got mind raped by the other dying dude. Then there is ZZ Harman fight where it is straight up BS. Don't forget CCA. Newtype powers never should have escalated in the first place starting it's trek on going Dragon Ball Z with more and more powerful people with greater "Will", but enough about Anime, lets talk about chronic alcohol poisoning.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

How could I forget CCA, I was talking about CCA

Also Unicorn. Never go Newtype.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Camp fuckup posted:

what the hell is a newtype?

Less you know the better, relish your ignorance for it is a blessing.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why did you go do that GG?

A fine response.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trek didn't have Space NAZI every episode.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

CCA is short for Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack

:thejoke:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank god for random dick chat has rescued us.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drink the pain away.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Can you say what's good about it exactly

Anthony Hopkins given an actor of the year award for every episode he appears in, which all of them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a bone to pick posted:

Oh Max doesn't like Westworld? it must be good then.

Max doesn't know what the gently caress he is talking about. For a guy who has made movies he knows less than the average poster here.

I would take Jack any day over him. I really hope they never invite him back.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elsie is where the action is at.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahahha, those spoilers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I think Clementine is the prettiest robot :3:

:same:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrY-iXi5o3o

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fojar38 posted:

i just watched rogue one and was wondering when jay and mike are going to tell me what my opinion on it should be

I don't forward to it and I might be going to see it with friends because social life and poo poo. I did not like TFA.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scionix posted:

I liked rogue one and its third act was real fuckin' neato thanks for listening

:agreed:

I have some complaints about R1, but it clowns the last four films. Vadar's first scene was really pointless and cutting would have made the movie better.

TFA is poo poo BTW.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rogue One should have Kyle Kartan or Dash Rendar.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Berious posted:

Also the first half was very confusing and meandering. I wondered if I was having a stroke or if it was just a poorly edited mess. Second half makes up for it though.

:agreed: Some of the characters felt like they came out of no where. The first half was a lot of rear end kissing regarding as to why there was a flaw in the Death Star

Thinking about it some more, I want Dash Rendar because of this: http://lparchive.org/Star-Wars-Shadows-of-the-Empire/

It shows him as the fraud that he is and it's great.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought they cast Maggie Gyllenhaal as Leia for a couple moments.

I like this movie as it felt original and for most part well done. It's not going to win any Oscars for anything but it is far better than that Hack Fraud JJ Abrams ever will be. The final space battle was so much better done than the one in TFA. It wasn't just throw poo poo at the screen like random fireworks hoping to blind you. You quickly cared a enough for these guys and they were god drat heroes when they arrived.

I don't know :wtf: wrong with Tarkin but who ever did his voice hosed up. No where near British or menacing enough. All the Imperial officers weren't British enough, it was weak sauce.

Anyone laugh when the rebels got to some waist high walls? poo poo is out of a video game.

hemale in pain posted:

I think people are just forgetting that Vaders costume has always looked loving dumb and cheap. It's still cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Fojar38 posted:

youd think jimmy smitts would have done it himself instead of sending his adopted daughter

He had to go see you his people. Maybe he was chicken poo poo, I don't know. Either way he needed to be moved out of the way.

The cast diversity worked well, it would have been nice to have a full on Alien in the main group. But a Mon Cal screaming out the obvious ala Admiral Akbar is good enough.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your right about the "Britishness". I keep making the mistake because I thought Kerrnic was played by Martin Freeman.

:rip: spoilers right there ^^^

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the poo poo RLM? You fan wank over TFA, but suddenly story critical characters and period accurate technology are verboten? You judged the movie based on the loving audience? You complained it wasn't a heist movie when it was clearly sold as a dirty dozen movie? How do you miss the awesome sight of the Death Star breaking the horizon? Heck even the space battle was period accurate in how they framed it, they even look like the toys they are made from. I could go on and on.

TFA is a poo poo movie. What a loving troll review.

turnways posted:

It's a difference between making logical sense and making good, entertainment sense.
Yeah of course they'd be around, they were on the Tantive IV, but why was it necessary to show them? They have a perfectly good intro in ANH, we don't need to see them, they add literally nothing, esp. in light of certain other parts of the movie lacking which I think is the whole point of the review. Time that could've gone towards building up the characters get thrown at this unnecessary stuff.

They needed to connect the end of R1 to ANH. It filled in why Vadar knew who to chase, why he is so pissed off and how Leia got the plans. Showing the Tantive IV costed no more than 30 seconds in a plot critical moment. It showed how desperate the struggle was as the troopers pass the plans on. Vadar gets somewhat rehabilitated into a badass who is rightly feared.

What was a waste of time was when Kerrinc begged Vadar for an audience with the Emperor. That was truly fan wank and needed to be cut.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanomashoes posted:

The gently caress is a period accurate space battle?

It was shot, edited and framed like ANH and RotJ was. It most definitely didn't shake cam during those sequences like TFA did. The Star destroyers look like the plastic toys from the original, it was all CGI but they intentionally made it look like it was made in the 80's oppose to TFA which looks like Nu-Star Trek.

Wicker Man posted:

They gave TFA a pass for retread because as they say, it needed to be. It's only after that one that fan service and old plot points have to stop, they covered it in TFA hitb.

It didn't need to be this way and it made for a bad movie.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

turnways posted:

It's not direct causation, just concurrent. There was a lack of pointed character-driven lines and an excess of lines that didn't directly serve the movie. More would've had to be trimmed to get those characters interesting but taking out the minor pointless nostalgia-bait stuff would've been a start.

I didn't mention Vader though, I was talking about Threepio/Artoo and their little cameo. Though, I also don't think it was super necessary to show Vader spotting the Tantive IV peeling out to get why he *knew* it was that ship; ANH made it seem like he was smart and cunning and using the Force to suss out what was going on, since he was a stone cold intuitive badass, and now he's just a guy who saw something. Anyone could've spotted that ship. Though I thought the ending bit with Vader was one of the best parts of the film, so I don't mind that as much. I also didn't think Leia was necessary either; she got the plans like she always got the plans, from Rebels. End of RO, plans are with the Rebels, beginning of ANH, plans are with a Rebel, and it's not that far of a mental leap. I don't think it's super necessary to show every baton pass (how did the Rebels get from Yavin IV to Hoth? Find out in 2019's Rogue One Two!) as that's an easy deduction to make when they kinda gloss over what the heck she was doing there in the Tantive IV in the first place. The last thing we heard about her was from her surrogate father saying he was heading to Alderaan to get his daughter to contact Obi-Wan, and then suddenly she's in a parked escape ship during a super dangerous mission doing basically nothing but waiting, which is just weird.

Edit: Totally agree with you about that scene though, that was just absolutely pointless
Vadar showing up was required beyond spotting Tantive IV, it was the big villain moment crushing what was a big hero moment when the Rebel fleet first arrives and takes out the two Star Destroyers.

I am not sure what lead you to see Vadar is smart and cunning in ANH in regards to his investigative skills. You can't intuitive something from nothing. It was definitely a show, not tell moment R1, it links to ANH so things aren't happening in a vacuum.

Also using the force arbitrarily is BS. If Vadar was so good and the Force so strong, why didn't he figure out Leia was his daughter with the force? The problem with the force is the same problem using super weapons and having Jedi/Sith everywhere, it stops being cool and descends into Dragon Ball Z power level rubbish and secret attacks, see: Sun Sucker, Darth Maul, Yoda light sabre fight. It's why in the OT Force usage was so restrained, it was to avoid having super powered characters like you saw in the old EU where Force powered people could do just about anything. The best stories from the EU had virtually no Force and no Jedi/Sith.

Plus if the Force is so powerful why did Tarkin berate Vadar over his failure to retrieve the plans or to divine the location of the rebel base?.

Also what Paladinus said. It was great we only saw one light sabre for a moment and no Jedi with none of the flashy dancing, just Vadar going at it.

They have plenty of background options to go in another direction for the next movie. With the Bothans stealing the DS2 plans RLM can get their heist/spy movie and find out why these guys were so good at spying. Hopefully it ends in a spy like fashion with a dead drop.

Trunko posted:

two christmases ago i crushed my pinkie toe in a closing metal door and i heard the bone splinter and crack and this post is making my brain feel the way my toe did that christmas

I am ok with this, enjoy the pain. It was an artistic direction I enjoyed. Suppose you would like to complain about the period accurate visual displays and technology too?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Archaic posted:

The main issue with R1 is the one-dimensional characters. We've got a big dude with a big gun, a possible Jedi-monk character, stone cold rebel spy assassin, girl who was taken from her father. Hell take a chance and have the two asian guys kiss just before the big wave of destruction hits them or something. Have Cardassian show remorse or redemption or something, make his death mean something, anything! My brother wanted Jyn Ersso to be an Imperial spy all along, gathering intel on the Rebel base. If written well it could have been a really cool twist.

This is why RLM loved TFA so much. We learn everything we need to know about Rey in her first 5 minutes without any dialogue, and we actually care about her by the time she meets BB-8. Now the stakes matter!

Cassian does redeem himself for getting the plans and not shooting Jyn's dad. He fails to extract him, the whole point is that he is no longer that rear end in a top hat who shoots his assets in the back when things go south or kills people on orders. He has gone from lone wolf to a team player who is does the right thing. He in turns redeems a group of people just like him.

Jyn redeems her family's sins of creating the Death Star, she goes from a person who cares only for herself to one that makes the ultimate sacrifice. She also helps re-instil the hope and positiveness you see in ANH hope and the "can do anything attitude" for that 1 in a million shot, oppose to the dirtiness and despair that we saw in R1 as the council panics.

The two Asian guys kissing wouldn't fly in China and would have been sort of out of place considering you would have to rewrite their relationship from best bros who have contrasting connection to the force to gay lovers. I would have like a little bit more on their motivations, but guessing they want to avenge their home city getting vaporised is enough.

Bohdi goes from a scrambled, cowardly person in search of escape for having help construct the DS to a brave, resourceful person who is at peace with himself.

R1 does introduce you to the characters, you still remember them long enough to type that out. Jyn might have been a little flat compared to Rey, but Jyn was a lot more believable, wasn't over acting and like every other character had a limited skill set. Rey is just poo poo.

Jyn being a spy is m. night shyamalan BS twist terribleness. No. Plus the plot was already meandering in the first half, no need to add even more when it was barely moving what it had. Jyn's conflict was personal, not one of loyalty and why would she work for the same outfit that killed her Mom and kidnapped his dad?

And for the love of everything holy, can we please stop asking for origin stories. They are all the bloody same and they are all bloody boring.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was ok with the opening to RotJ, the weird thing about it was it felt like a mini-movie that should have been an opening gambit before you go into the text scroll.

The first half of R1 definitely has it's flaws. The greatest error was the time spent on Forest "Suck Air" Whitaker who ending up being not much more than sandbagging. His purpose was to delay the cast long enough so they could all meet. He is still better than random 50's alien cook straight up giving leads to Obi Wan. Once the escape starts things get serious and start moving along nicely.
I am most definitely not watching the Han Solo movie in the theatre. TFA somehow burned me out on him and I just don't care anymore. If he ends up in a trash compactor again it's going to be nothing but this :ughh:

TNG Trek had First Contact which pretty good, the rest is trash expect for maybe Nemesis if you look at it as a dude-bro movie between Picard and Data.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

It's pretty wild how you can tell just from trailer shots that the cinematography in the new movies is light years beyond anything in the prequels. It's good that they've handed the franchise off to people who know how to make movies, at least.

They went semi-old school with it, CGI drawn for the battles, but shot in the original styles of the OT. I am not sure if R1 had a shot reverse shot anywhere. The dialogue was pretty terse and not everybody was quipped with some sort of extreme try hard funny not jokes. that was left to the Monk and the robot. Everybody else acted like normal people with issues.

I have no problem with them down casting Forest Whitaker and Madds Milkensen. Madds was effective where he was. Forest on the other hand, I have said what I needed.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GotG was ok, but the Star Lord thing got really grating after a while and the whole thing tried a little too hard to be clever all the time with everybody trying to be funny all the time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thom and the Heads posted:

has anyone brought up the meatball cthulu mind monster from r1 yet? yknow, the one that makes you "lose your mind"? don't worry though. you can get someones mind back real quick by just saying "hey you're the pilot right?"
:wtc:

I filed that under Mr Suck Air.

The Fifth Element was "Star Wars for the 90s," according to the ads.

This is extremely questionable, but it in no way impacts it's greatness.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I was suggesting that GotG cannot be the best Star Wars movie of the last two decades.

GotG is movie. It's not Star Wars anymore than The Fifth Element. If they were both SW films, the Fifth Element wins hands down, it was borderline experimental, insane, fun and had just the right amount of plot with excellent pacing. It left you wanting more at the end and I still hunger for more of it today.

ashpanash posted:

I'd note that it's not as if any of the Empire are particularly compelling villains in ANH. (Though I love Peter Cushing's performance.) They only became more interesting in retrospect.

The villain was the monolith that is the Empire. People like Tarkin and Vadar become no more than functionaries themselves in such a large organization with a boss we don't get to see.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

I saw the movie. The entire thing was based on a single loving line from Star Wars.
Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

:lol: wrong loving movie. You're looking for episode 6

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

I don't know if this is a joke post but the Many Bothans Died line is referring to Return of the Jedi and the second Death Star.

I have seen people elsewhere make the same mistake in earnest. It's not a joke post.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Different people like different little aspects of Star Wars and when they think of something like Star Wars theyll see different things.

Honestly the thing that makes Star Wars and not just a space movie is if the force actually feels mystical. This is one reason why empire is my favorite.
Prequels failed there despite featuring Jedi but they turned it into generic organized religion, gotg just had the infinity stone crossover macguffin that all marvel movies have... tfa is a good start towards what I want.
But to others there's other factors that play in that make gotg more of a Star Wars movie... for instance it might have tried a little hard with its humor at times but it was trying.

TFA went to far with Force Powers. It was like watching a session of D&D. OT was subtle in comparison, the most showboating thing was when the Emperor started tazing Luke to death. Everything else was a sort of boost to existing strength. "these are the droids you are looking for" rides the line, but the execution is subtle and gentle.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Despite all my feelings I'm still interested to see where Disney goes with the license- how much gas exactly is in the Star Wars tank? How long will it be before they make a true stinker of a movie? The tFA was great, R1 is probably at the very least competent and fun enough to watch once. They haven't made any grand errors or anything yet.

TFA drained the tank hard for me. I was quite reluctant in seeing R1, but I did it because we were celebrating a friend's birthday. I was quite surprised how much I liked it compared to how much I don't like TFA. Even so I don't look forward to more for the time being.

Krinkle posted:

awwwwww gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz36EfinJw

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't get me wrong, I ended up being glad I saw R1 and I welcome the change from the fan wank JJ vomit that was TFA. I figured R1 would be a better movie than TFA from the trailers but I didn't have the impulse to see it until then.

However that said I am not sure whether I give a poo poo anymore. I am certainly not going to see the mainline films at the cinema barring another social event. I don't care about Han Solo anymore. The next time they do something different and took a chance like R1 I might go see it on my own volition.

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

SERIOUS POST

I want to see what happened between IV & V... at the end of IV the deathstar is exploded and the empire seems to be in really bad shape... the rebels are partying getting medals etc. Han is probably banging Leia every night.

Then empire starts and theres a couple hundred rebel troops hiding on a frozen gently caress of a planet.

wtf happened?

They spent whatever the time moving house and hiding. Han Solo did cargo runs with his cargo ship. Luke flew escort. the Empire arrive at Yavin to see what happened to their Death Star. vadar spends however many months spamming probe droids. not sure there is much story in there.

X-wing the game did a pretty good treatment of what happened in the intervening time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Old Story posted:

this movie was gay where was darth maul

This is a joke post.

psst he ended up as a torso on some spider legs and crazy because of reasons. Then he died or something

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

They had Space Jimmy Smits in Rogue One, does that count as "rehab?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvAjX5ACPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

The had darth vader living on the same volcano planet he got horrifically deformed on. I like the RLM guy's theory that the emperor stationed him in the imperial galactic version of siberia to gently caress with him.

Have you seen the Vadar's suit background material video?

• Locked thread